Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,635 members, 7,813,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Alcohol - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Alcohol (1337 Views)

Can Drinking Alcohol Stop A Genuine Born Again; From Making It To Heaven? / Did Jesus Drink Alcohol? / Is It Right For A Christian To Take Alcohol? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alcohol by minniepoe(f): 10:03am On Jul 10, 2007
Is there any where in the bible that specifically states that Christians should not take alcohol?
Re: Alcohol by Papa(m): 11:49pm On Aug 01, 2007
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

If achohol fries your liver why do it?
Re: Alcohol by Raymond88(m): 11:57pm On Aug 01, 2007
Solution: Drink moderately.
Re: Alcohol by Papa(m): 8:10am On Aug 03, 2007
Moderate is not good. There's such a term as "long run"
Re: Alcohol by peetah1: 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2007
@minnie poe
read eph 5 : 18
Re: Alcohol by English1(f): 6:36pm On Aug 03, 2007
Didn't Jesus make wine? Doesn't Paul advise 'take a little wine'?

If Christians shouldn't drink alcohol so as not to damage/pollute their bodies, there's a lot of other stuff they should give up as well. Fatty food makes you obese and unhealthy, sugary food does the same, plus rots your teeth and can lead to diabetes etc etc,

moderate alcohol actually has a lot of health benefits.
Re: Alcohol by knotty(m): 11:00am On Aug 04, 2007
eat, drink( wine,whisky,paraga,brandy,smooth stoutdon simon,don perignon, just about anything) , for that is your portion on earth.

certain bib;ical verses encourage us to shack to lift up our mood. no hard and fast rule about it.
just do it within your senses and what your pocket can carry. and do not be a slave to shakis
Re: Alcohol by Papa(m): 4:57pm On Aug 06, 2007
Common people, where did you read that the story with paul and Jesus were cases of alcholic drinks.
I'm not saying they were not, but where did you get you information?
Re: Alcohol by English1(f): 5:36pm On Aug 07, 2007
because the word 'wine' means wine - an alcoholic drink made from fermented fruit, usually grape. And don't start on that 'wine' doesn't really mean 'wine' in the bible rubbish.

From Mirriam-Webster dictionary
1 a : the alcoholic fermented juice of fresh grapes used as a beverage b : wine or a substitute used in Christian communion services
2 : the alcoholic usually fermented juice of a plant product (as a fruit) used as a beverage <blackberry wine>
Re: Alcohol by Papa(m): 7:18am On Aug 08, 2007
When you read "Christian" communion there let me remind you that it doesn't refer to information from all churches. The world generalises using the catholic church for such matters. And please no offensiveness intended to any catholic person. wink
Re: Alcohol by ademudus: 4:42pm On Aug 08, 2007
@peetah
Ephesians 5:18 (New King James Version)
18 And do not be drunk with wine, ;wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit,

there is a difference between being drunk with wine and taking wine, being drunk is drinking beyond ones limit,
so we still do not get your point,
Re: Alcohol by pilgrim1(f): 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2007
Wine can be either alchoholic or non-alchoholic.

In most texts of the Bible where the word wine appears, it is represented often as alchoholic or intoxicating. That this is the case is especially why Eph. 5:18 contrasts its result to that of the Spirit-filled life.

However, that verse should not be taken to mean that the whole Bible condemns the drinking of wine. Not at all. We already note that the apostle Paul recommended it in moderation to Timothy - "for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities" (1 Tim. 5:23). And certainly, we can't study the life of Timothy and come away with the idea that he wasn't Spirit-filled either!

I don't drink alchoholic wine - and that's my choice. But I would rather not make my own personal choice the rule of thumb for any other believer. Each one should be fully persuaded in his or her own heart as to what lifestyle best suits them:

the Spirit-filled life

or

the bottle-filled life.

God bless all. smiley
Re: Alcohol by Gamine(f): 5:21pm On Aug 08, 2007
i take alchohol in bits i know can neva get me drunk

there r cakes wit brandy in them, so eatin it makes u a sinner?

moderation is the key word here
getting drunk is the sin

if u get drunk when taking any amt of alcohol, pls dont take it oh!
Re: Alcohol by pilgrim1(f): 5:32pm On Aug 08, 2007
Gamine:

there r cakes wit brandy in them, so eatin it makes u a sinner?

I don't think taking such constitutes 'sinning' (unless you tif am! grin).

Anyhow, there are also sweets with alchohol in them (even so, I don't take them - there again, my choice) - and helping one's self to a few treats does not constitute 'sinning'.

The question for me is much more than "moderation" and "excess" (although they're very important as well). It's all a matter of what lifestyle appertains to my wholistic life - a Spirit-FILLED life, or a bottled-FILLED life.

I know of a friend who takes 'em in "moderation". She kids about taking them in 'moderation' in the a.m., 'moderation' in the p.m., 'moderation' the next day. . . etc. At the end of the week, she's had some 13 bottles of straight Vodka - all measured out in "moderation" as she sips 'em! tongue

Would I hold her as a 'sinning' angel? Nope. She has a clear head when needs be (e.g., you can't cheat her of a nickle! grin).

Okay, seriously now. I wouldn't say someone who enjoys wine in moderation is a sinner. I'd rather share with them that I love them all the same in Christ, whether they enjoy wine or not. My personal choice is NOT the rule - each one should be fully persuaded in their own hearts. cheesy
Re: Alcohol by trendy(f): 5:37pm On Aug 08, 2007
Bible says drink and dont be drunk
Re: Alcohol by Gamine(f): 5:41pm On Aug 08, 2007
Lol, pilgrim

anything in excess is bad

too muc sweets, too much alchohol n so on

So whut i still stand on is Moderation for urself, whut is moderate to me may not be moderate to another person
so its relative.

Just dont take in excess,
it kills u,
Dont get drunk and have a leave of ur senses pls.
Re: Alcohol by pilgrim1(f): 7:11pm On Aug 08, 2007
Gamine:

Dont get drunk and have a leave of your senses please.

Okay. . . I'll take that on board. And just watch those cakes - don't want to hear something went awry after a few delicious bites! grin
Re: Alcohol by Gamine(f): 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2007
lol

yeah
Re: Alcohol by opeemi1(m): 7:59pm On Aug 09, 2007
I once argued this topic on another thread.  Though I have slightly different views now. cool

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33661.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-10902.0.html

- goodguy
Re: Alcohol by rumbleboy: 4:26am On Aug 10, 2007
Wow-my first message!!!!
I am a born-again guy. I ran away from God for almost 7 years. Now I am found.
Alcohol; I dun think A Christian should not drink alcohol or beer or wine, ( to me they are the same). All powerful! No one can take action to them. I thought just taking or drinking alcohol is OK--I was wrong. If you drink it whether moderately or socially or any-style, you would be in trouble sooner or later. Your Christian life will, not would, not surely be straight forward!

In Proverb, we are not allowed even to look at it, (verse escapes me),

Dun get me wrong dude
Re: Alcohol by pilgrim1(f): 8:14am On Aug 11, 2007
rumbleboy:

In Proverb, we are not allowed even to look at it, (verse escapes me),

Lol. . it's metaphoric:

Prov. 23:31 -- "Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright." wink

- - -

Like I said earlier, not all mention of wine in the Bible indicates 'alchohol' of intoxicating drink. Scripture uses various terms (as we do) to distinguish between the two. Prov. 20:1 mentions wine distinctly from 'strong drink'.
Re: Alcohol by tpia6: 2:43am On Jan 13, 2011
Re: Alcohol by birdman(m): 7:56am On Jan 13, 2011
i consider myself a hero of the wine bottle.

(1) (Reply)

There Is No Single Man Of God In Nigeria / Atheism: The illogical philosophy / 8 Keys To Knowing God's Will For Your Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.