Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,641 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why (6191 Views)

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew / How Did Mmesoma Ejikeme Knew That She Scores The Highest In The Whole Nigeria? / Goodbye Plastic Dishes… SA Innovation Hub Makes Bowls You Can Also Eat! (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by luminouz(m): 10:09pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Yeah, bro. Like you aren't doing the same.
Bye...
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 10:14pm On Apr 13, 2021
luminouz:

Bye...
No, stay and keep trolling yourself.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 13, 2021
philfearon:
We have all grown up with the popular saying that a lion never eats grass no matter the hunger or lack of meat to devour. Well, that may be true to an extent, but not entirely true. As opposed to the popular proverb, Lions actually do eat grass.

Not long ago, I was watching animal documentaries on NatGeo Wild when the video of a Lion eating grass was shown. I'm sure, if it was you, you would have also been fixated to know what is happening.

Well, after watching the documentary, I went further to research and see if it was true and it turned out to b factually correct that Lion's do eat grass in fact. However, they do it for a different reason altogether.

Lions are carnivores and invariably, they eat a lot of meat - a male lion can consume an average of 7kg of meat per day while the females can eat about 4kg of meat a day. Their insatiable greed and hunger for meat also makes them automatic scavengers, muscling out weaker cats, hyenas, wolves and wild dogs whenever the occasion arises. But, this is mostly for Lions in the wild. Yet, it is noted that Lion's are actually Omnivores and do forage for vegetables and fruits from time to time to supplement their meat diet.

Lions have been seen munching grasses. The reason they do this is to cause a stomach upset and allow them vomit things that may be irritating their stomach. For the domestic Lions, they eat grass because it is easily available and therefore they munch away as much as they can.

In a nutshell, eating grass helps Lions deal with stomach upset and indigestion. When Lions eat indigestible parts of other animals like feathers and furs, eating grass helps them vomit it or discard of it in some other way.

Watch the video ===> Lion Eating Grass

Cats eat grass to induce vomiting
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Randy100: 11:15pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:

What does it do, it must be an herb
It is a vegetable like other vegetable. The leaves happens to taste better.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by TMKsouth: 1:36am On Apr 14, 2021
Some herbivores like deer eat mice and other smaller animals like birds to supplement their protein intake. So not surprised that carnivores also munch on leaves.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by femi4: 5:02am On Apr 14, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Well, dogs are omnivores so eating grass shouldn't come as a surprise.
Who is your Biology teacher? Eating grass and depending on grass to survive are not the same
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by aristocratic5(m): 7:07am On Apr 14, 2021
Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by philfearon(m): 7:25am On Apr 14, 2021
lalasticlala
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 14, 2021
illicit:
Dogs eat grass too

They do it to induce vomiting

But later they'll vomit
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 8:52am On Apr 14, 2021
peterangelo:

But later they'll vomit

Yes that's true

That's why they do it
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Elliotwaveforec: 10:19am On Apr 14, 2021
As medicine not food
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Reggaemich(m): 10:28am On Apr 14, 2021
I can confirm that truely Dog eat grass, when I visited my village last year. So One day I was going to my uncle's shop, I saw a dog in the midst of a bush eating grass.

I thought it was due to hunger, because of the way the Dog was eating the grass.

I even wanted to video it but I was not with my phone

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by DaFuhrer(m): 10:39am On Apr 14, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Well, if it's medicinal, I wouldn't say they eat grass. That would make it look like they feed on it. It's just like saying humans eat paracetamol. Lol. Anyway, I hope they know the dangers of self medication. undecided

OP, thanks for sharing.

Werey grin....Self medication

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Kroos205: 12:08pm On Apr 14, 2021
fowl sef dey eat grass sha
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 14, 2021
Eyaaaah, Economic Hardship Is D Course.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 1:47pm On Apr 14, 2021
femi4:
Who is your Biology teacher? Eating grass and depending on grass to survive are not the same

What exactly is your point? Are dogs not omnivorous?
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by juman(m): 2:14pm On Apr 14, 2021
From your explanation I will say the animal was taking medication. The medication was grass.
The way it bite the grass one can see that he was not used to it.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by juman(m): 2:19pm On Apr 14, 2021
I love watching BBC Earth channel.

By God animals, birds, insects, fish and other water creatures manage their lives better than how Nigerian leaders manage the country.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by femi4: 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2021
WoundedLamb:

What exactly is your point? Are dogs not omnivorous?
They are not
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Karlifate: 5:41pm On Apr 14, 2021
Well, they do eat grass (not to a large extent like a herbivore tho.)

This is necessary in order to have a balanced diet cos grass(es) contain certain minerals, vitamins & salts, which is needed to complement their 'meaty diets'.

Also, it serves as a cure for indigestion, caused by eating some indigestible parts of animals.

Cc: philfearon

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by philfearon(m): 7:54pm On Apr 14, 2021
Karlifate:

This is necessary in order to have a balanced diet cos grass(es) contain certain minerals, vitamins & salts which is needed to complement their 'meaty diets'.

Also, it serves as a cure for indigestion caused by eating some indigestible parts of animals.

Yeah, true.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 5:06am On Apr 15, 2021
femi4:
They are not
Lmao... Ok.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by philfearon(m): 6:21am On Jun 13, 2021
Karlifate:

This is necessary in order to have a balanced diet cos grass(es) contain certain minerals, vitamins & salts which is needed to complement their 'meaty diets'.

Also, it serves as a cure for indigestion caused by eating some indigestible parts of animals.

Sure

(1) (2) (Reply)

Extra Moral Lessons At Your Home / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Breaking news : Jamb examination new date postponement!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.