Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai (1814 Views)

Ajimobi did not win the 2011 elections, he only outsmarted me-Akala / Jonathanian A New Nigerian English Word By Nasir El Rufai / Adamawa 2012 Governorship Election Update By Nasir El- Rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbenge77(m): 8:14am On Apr 20, 2011
Remarks at the Atlantic Council,1101,15th st NW,Washington D.C,on April 19th,2011.

Current situation:The 2011 presidential Elections have taken place and INEC has announced the result that incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan has won.The main opposition party's General Muhammadu Buhari has rejected the results and called for the cancellation of the cancellation of the elections in the South-East and South-south regions of the country ,claiming massive irregularities.

Violent attacks of a mix of targets have been reported in Sokoto,Adamawa ,Bauchi,Kaduna,Kaduna,Gombe and Kano states.Some tension still reportedly exists in Katsina,F.C.T,Nassarawa and Taraba States.General Buhari had to make statements on National tv,Al jazeera ,BBC and VOA HAUSA SERVICE yesterday to appeal for and end to the violence.It has been generally calm since then.

Why is this happening?Is it some spontaneous reaction of unhappy voters or some sponsored,co-ordinated action to destabilize the Jonathan Administration?

Are the protest against flawed elections,if peaceful,justified?And,were the April elections indeed flawed?

If so,how was the cheating achieved in the face of the orderly elections at the polling unit level?What is the evidence of this cheating?I will attempt to answer some of these questions and pose to challenge you all to reflect on what is happening in my country right now,as well as what is likely to happen in the ensuing months and years.

Electoral Processes,Covert and Overt fraud.

Chairman JEGA and his colleagues in INEC have done a good job of preparing for the elections and ought to be commended.The Voter's register is the most accurate in Nigerias history, and may yet turn out to be the saviour of our democracy,  Read more here. www.saharareporters.com/article/nigerian-2011-elections-opportunity-lost-nasir-ahmad-el-rufai
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by werepeLeri: 8:17am On Apr 20, 2011
i poo upon SaharaReporter's head. Who the hell is Ahmed El Rufai? Let him go and answer his case with the EFCC before coming to write like a patriot.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbawe: 8:32am On Apr 20, 2011
werepeLeri:

i poo upon SaharaReporter's head. Who the hell is Ahmed El Rufai? Let him go and answer his case with the EFCC before coming to write like a patriot.

For supplying an article based on what El-Rufai said? Anyway what El-Rufai writes below is the part worth reading IMO. El-Rufai , IMO , speaks the truth for those who live their lives using tangible logic and real evidence that can assist almost scientifically accurate deductions. No successful person , at least not any I know, rely on 'goodluck' and a belief in miracles that leads them to disregard facts while maintaining that things will have a different outcome to what the real facts point out is likely to happen.

Implications for Governance in Nigeria and our Sub-Region

The scenario I see is one in which at best, the Jonathan administration will muddle through the next four years. Many of the PDP governors in the Northern States will either lose next week's election or cheat their way to four years of contempt of their people and unstable governance. Jonathan's political and governance skills even without any hostile opposition have not been great. In the last 4 years, the Yar'Adua-Jonathan administration spent over $200 billion of oil and non-oil revenues, including over $20 billion the Obasanjo administration left behind in the Excess Crude Account, with little to show for it. Not a single major infrastructure investment or policy initiative has been concluded in four years!

For example, Nigeria's budget for 2011 is the most interesting I have seen in my adult years. The entire oil revenue projections for the year could not cover the salaries and running cost of the Federal Government!

Government has become the biggest business in town and growing so rapidly from 2007 that we are resembling a perfect rentier state for the minority political elite. There is little or no investment in physical and human capital, even with very high oil prices the administration has enjoyed.

Many of his supporters think Jonathan's legendary good luck will somehow turn things around, but governance requires more than hope. We have to wait patiently and see how things unfold. And as we always do in Nigeria, pray.

And needless to add, how Nigeria performs politically and economically have implications for the growth and stability of the ECOWAS sub-region and Africa.
Thank you for listening.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by werepeLeri: 8:35am On Apr 20, 2011
Last week, this guy was arraigned in court for corruption by the EFCC.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/efcc-docks-el-rufai-2-others-over-alleged-fraud/

Only SaharaReporters will make a celebrity out of such a person. What is the difference between Bode George and El Rufai? Because El Rufai is in CPC?

He should shut up answer his case with EFCC, spend time in jail and come out after ten years.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Lagosboy: 8:41am On Apr 20, 2011
It is unlikely that the CPC will accept to be part of any Jonathan administration, so a large swathe of the North will be in opposition for the first time in Nigeria's political history. It will be a worthy learning experience for all. It is also evident that the ACN and ANPP were in some kind of covert alliance with the PDP so it is likely that their presidential candidates and key officers will be offered cabinet positions in the Jonathan administration, thus leaving CPC as the last opposition party standing. This is an opportunity for the party to build its organization nationally and govern the handful of states it is likely to win, competently.

I find this very interesting from El Rufai and i am patiently awaiting to see if Ribadu works with GEJ or ACN nominates people into GEJs cabinet.

On the other hand, i think this article confirms that El Rufai is getting ready to assume in the political face of CPC in the north under the leadership of the Peoples General. While I am aware El Rufai does not share the same incorruptible quality of Buhari and only very few people do. I will support him and if i have the opportunity work with him. I find him as a very intelligent dude and highly intellectual. He was man enough to admit his mistakes under OBJ and wrote to the whole world before he joined the Buhari cause.

If Sanusi joins CPC as well  then we might have a very interesting 2015 from the northern side. These two guys can push all the expired corrup politiicians in the north to retirement. Having said this, saturday gunernatorial elections will go along way to determine how CPC will blossom in the next 4 years.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbawe: 8:48am On Apr 20, 2011
werepeLeri:

Last week, this guy was arraigned in court for corruption by the EFCC.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/efcc-docks-el-rufai-2-others-over-alleged-fraud/

Only SaharaReporters will make a celebrity out of such a person. What is the difference between Bode George and El Rufai? Because El Rufai is in CPC?

He should shut up answer his case with EFCC, spend time in jail and come out after ten years.

Is this how you are as a person? El-Rufai is not convicted of anything yet you speak as if he is guilty. Need I remind you that Bode George was convicted and Jailed?
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbenge77(m): 8:54am On Apr 20, 2011
Gbawe:

For supplying an article based on what El-Rufai said? Anyway what El-Rufai writes below is the part worth reading IMO. El-Rufai , IMO , speaks the truth for those who live their lives using tangible logic and real evidence that can assist almost scientifically accurate deductions. No successful person , at least not any I know, rely on 'goodluck' and a belief in miracles that leads them to disregard facts while maintaining that things will have a different outcome to what the real facts point out is likely to happen.

correct.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by ektbear: 9:14am On Apr 20, 2011
Very interesting read so far!

In some parts of the country, media reports of low turnout were contradicted by results showing more than 70% turnout! In the 1960s and our subsequent republics, the electoral fraud was overt - ballot box snatching, ballot stuffing and chasing away voters for officials to vote on their behalf. Today in Nigeria, except for the South-East and parts of South-South, this rigging technology is no longer used. What is more common is the covert rigging which entails first, change the numbers on the result sheets, and then get the ballot papers thumb-printed to back up "the declared result". Our accurate voters' register will help resolve this.

The reason why I think the voters register may well save our democracy is this - should the opposition parties choose to go court, and require the ballot papers to be technologically scrutinized, the real result of the April 19 election will be known and everyone will have no choice but to accept the outcome. For now, this is not happening because General Buhari has promised not to waste his time going to court. The question is, what next?
Hehe. El-Rufai's mamma didn't raise no fool cool
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbawe: 9:17am On Apr 20, 2011
Lagosboy:

I find this very interesting from El Rufai and i am patiently awaiting to see if Ribadu works with GEJ or ACN nominates people into GEJs cabinet.

On the other hand, i think this article confirms that El Rufai is getting ready to assume in the political face of CPC in the north under the leadership of the Peoples General. While I am aware El Rufai does not share the same incorruptible quality of Buhari and only very few people do. I will support him and if i have the opportunity work with him. I find him as a very intelligent dude and highly intellectual. He was man enough to admit his mistakes under OBJ and wrote to the whole world before he joined the Buhari cause.

If Sanusi joins CPC as well  then we might have a very interesting 2015 from the northern side. These two guys can push all the expired corrup politiicians in the north to retirement. Having said this, saturday gunernatorial elections will go along way to determine how CPC will blossom in the next 4 years.

Lagosboy, I always say emotions becloud your undoubted intelligence and again , I think , you confirm this. Once you support people you can never see wrong in what they do . That is tragic . El-Rufai is wrong to say what he has said regarding the ANPP and ACN . It is inflammatory , premature and , at best, incendiary conjecture unneeded at this stage . Mature politicians , who will be effective , do not talk like this i.e pugnaciously . They do not make serious allegation against others they cannot prove . I told you folks Bakare was wrong with his stance of fighting everyone to a standstill and proclaiming his camp as holier than everyone else,s . Sadly, El-Rufai is showing himself to be similar to Bakare and you BB fans are showing that you never learn !!!!!! El-Rufai will be 'dead on arrival' unless he learns to be pragmatic in talk and outlook.

Even if he knows things , it is better he understand what to go public with and what to remain silent on. Certain info are best not put in the public domain if they will gain you unnecessary hostility and isolation . You saw how the Nation voted . You saw the North-South divide . You think , if strategizing for 2015 , El-Rufai is wise contributing to that chasm ? Let el-Rufai make himself a Northern Champion. The CPC will lose the Presidential elections ten times if they don't learn how to play the game in realising that you must make concessions , and not enemies, to gain what you want by reaching out to those who are important. I dont back GEJ but you will remember I praised him , for political savvy, with how he reached out to Tinubu after the legislative elections. Those are the type of pragmatic , yet legal,'Horse-trading' that win elections for those who remember that "there are no permanent enemies in politics, only permanent interests" .  

The CPC , if they want to win at the highest level, should begin desisting from promoting into top positions Politicians who are long on ideology yet short of pragmatic awareness on how to play the game of politics . We saw how Bakare made one gaff after the other to the extent that many had already gone off him when a final effort was made to rally an alliance . Lets hope El-Rufai, unlike Bakare, will learn how to 'play the game' instead of making himself irrelevant like Bakare, Fawehinmi et al . I.e decent men who are way too emotional and inflexible to ever attain the positions to make the difference they want. That has always been the failings of Nigeria . Let us hope the newer generation of good guys can learn to play the game and win . You praised El-Rufai for "wisdom" . I don't see him as wise at all and his rant against the ACN and ANPP confirms it with how it will be construed , by many, as the desperate utterance of a man who has not gotten what he wants. If El-Rufai is politically sensible he will realise that the guber elections are still to come . 'Goodwill' still matter for those elections . Incendiary talk can wait.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by ektbear: 9:25am On Apr 20, 2011

It is also evident that the ACN and ANPP were in some kind of covert alliance with the PDP so it is likely that their presidential candidates and key officers will be offered cabinet positions in the Jonathan administration, thus leaving CPC as the last opposition party standing. This is an opportunity for the party to build its organization nationally and govern the handful of states it is likely to win, competently.
Well, from Wikileaks, we know that the ANPP is heavily infested by PDP moles, at the very least. Perhaps he is correct about the ACN allying with the PDP as well.

I like this voter turnout table: http://www.saharareporters.com/sites/default/files/uploads/ElRufaiTable.jpg

Raises a lot of questions.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Lagosboy: 9:38am On Apr 20, 2011
Gbawe:

Lagosboy, I always say emotions becloud your undoubted intelligence and again , I think , you confirm this. Once you support people you can never see wrong in what they do . That is tragic . El-Rufai is wrong to say what he has said regarding the ANPP and ACN . It is inflammatory , premature and , at best, incendiary conjecture unneeded at this stage . Mature politicians , who will be effective , do not talk like this i.e pugnaciously . They do not make serious allegation against others they cannot prove . I told you folks Bakare was wrong with his stance of fighting everyone to a standstill and proclaiming his camp as holier than everyone else,s . Sadly, El-Rufai is showing himself to be similar to Bakare and you BB fans are showing that you never learn !!!!!! El-Rufai will be 'dead on arrival' unless he learns to be pragmatic in talk and outlook.

Even if he knows things , it is better he understand what to go public with and what to remain silent on. Certain info are best not put in the public domain if they will gain you unnecessary hostility and isolation . You saw how the Nation voted . You saw the North-South divide . You think , if strategizing for 2015 , El-Rufai is wise contributing to that chasm ? Let el-Rufai make himself a Northern Champion. The CPC will lose the Presidential elections ten times if they don't learn how to play the game in realising that you must make concessions , and not enemies, to gain what you want by reaching out to those who are important. I dont back GEJ but you will remember I praised him , for political savvy, with how he reached out to Tinubu after the legislative elections. Those are the type of pragmatic , yet legal,'Horse-trading' that win elections for those who remember that "there are no permanent enemies in politics, only permanent interests" .  

The CPC , if they want to win at the highest level, should begin desisting from promoting into top positions Politicians who are long on ideology yet short of pragmatic awareness on how to play the game of politics . We saw how Bakare made one gaff after the other to the extent that many had already gone off him when a final effort was made to rally an alliance . Lets hope El-Rufai, unlike Bakare, will learn how to 'play the game' instead of making himself irrelevant like Bakare, Fawehinmi et al . I.e decent men who are way too emotional and inflexible to ever attain the positions to make the difference they want. That has always been the failings of Nigeria . Let us hope the newer generation of good guys can learn to play the game and win . You praised El-Rufai for "wisdom" . I don't see him as wise at all and his rant against the ACN and ANPP confirms it with how it will be construed , by many, as the desperate utterance of a man who has not gotten what he wants. If El-Rufai is politically sensible he will realise that the guber elections are still to come . 'Goodwill' still matter for those elections . Incendiary talk can wait.

Gbawe, i will always say there is nothing emotional here , regarding me not seeing wrong in what they do is not true. You defended Ribadu on some issues when it was as clear as daylight Ribadu was wrong and i have no issue with that in the least and that is what we call partisan politics. You defend ACN on many issues which is clear they are on the wrong and there is nothing wrong with it because i understand this is partisan politics. However for you to talk about emotion beclouding sense of analysis, I think that is subjective and the fact of life is emotions plays a part in every human beings analysis but the degree varies in everyone.

El Rufai made an analysis and touched on something which i find interesting and the public deserves to know the truth. on the other hand I can understand your dislike for his statement as it touches the party you support, this is the plain reality of life.  what I find curious that you dont appreciate is in politics people come out to disagree and they can also agree when it matters. GEJ called us rascals but when it mattered he went to ACN of which you have tacitly agreed a deal was struck. Tinubu called Buhari an expired leader but also he tried to be his VP. Politicians make statement to score cheap points .

However, i agree with you on El Rufai not going on the offensive too much and if he truly wants to run in 2015 , he should not make too many enemies. I believe he has tempered down compared to his days as a minister when he was a terrible loud mouth. I actually disliked him but now i see him as one of the hopes of the north.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by mbulela: 9:41am On Apr 20, 2011
Gbawe ati Lagosboy,
you guys have transferred our discourse here?
El-Rufai is an extremely intelligent man but he needs to tone down his hot headedness.
That ANPP/ACN comment was too simplistic, childish and unexpected of a political figure.
Why will GEJ cut a deal with ANPP?
I know he is a inept and a bit dull but not that dull.Is he?
What will ANPP offer him?
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by ektbear: 9:46am On Apr 20, 2011
Regarding ANPP:

-- Ume Ezeoke (Speaker of the House from 1979-83, current Chair of the ANPP - considered a PDP mole within the ANPP, negotiated ANPP inclusion in Government of National Unity)
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5684546-146/story.csp

This is a guy the US ambassador (or whoever prepared that document) considers a PDP asset. So suspecting the ANPP of working with the PDP is not farfetched at all.

ANPP = more votes sucked away from Buhari in the North. Pay them off with some cash to run Shekarau and pad GEJs margin of victory.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by jmaine: 9:49am On Apr 20, 2011
A debate by the opposition supporters . . .brewing here  grin . . .interesting . . .El Rufai is a CPC man remember, and we all know that the CPC blame every other person/thing for their reason to fail, so why all this argument . .if a common microsoft excel programme could be blamed, how much more competitors for the same slot . . .it was expected   cheesy
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by mbulela: 9:54am On Apr 20, 2011
ANPP is over rated.
GEJ must have been so unsure of his chances to deal with them.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbenge77(m): 9:57am On Apr 20, 2011
mbulela:

Gbawe ati Lagosboy,
El-Rufai is an extremely intelligent man but he needs to tone down his hot headedness.
That ANPP/ACN comment was too simplistic, childish and unexpected of a political figure.
Some of the protesters reportedly accused accused Shekarau of betraying them.They were of the opinion that he split the northern votes by choosing not to align with Buhari.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbawe: 9:57am On Apr 20, 2011
mbulela:

Gbawe ati Lagosboy,

Thank you my brother !!!! El Rufai is simply sounding like a man who has let frustration cloud his reasoning.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by mbulela: 9:59am On Apr 20, 2011
Jonathan's political and governance skills even without any hostile opposition have not been great. In the last 4 years, the Yar'Adua-Jonathan administration spent over $200 billion of oil and non-oil revenues, including over $20 billion the Obasanjo administration left behind in the Excess Crude Account, with little to show for it. Not a single major infrastructure investment or policy initiative has been concluded in four years!

For example, Nigeria's budget for 2011 is the most interesting I have seen in my adult years. The entire oil revenue projections for the year could not cover the salaries and running cost of the Federal Government!

Government has become the biggest business in town and growing so rapidly from 2007 that we are resembling a perfect rentier state for the minority political elite. There is little or no investment in physical and human capital, even with very high oil prices the administration has enjoyed.

I am more worried by this portion of the article.
This is truly worrying.
Is this rentier state the FRESH AIR we were promised?
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by mbulela: 10:01am On Apr 20, 2011
Lagosboy:

Gbawe, i will always say there is nothing emotional here , regarding me not seeing wrong in what they do is not true. You defended Ribadu on some issues when it was as clear as daylight Ribadu was wrong and i have no issue with that in the least and that is what we call partisan politics. You defend ACN on many issues which is clear they are on the wrong and there is nothing wrong with it because i understand this is partisan politics.

consensus candidacy. tongue
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by jmaine: 10:06am On Apr 20, 2011
Gbenge 77:

Some of the protesters reportedly accused  accused Shekarau of betraying them.They were of the opinion that he split the northern votes by choosing not to align with Buhari.

So you support the notion that Shekarau was morally wrong not to support Buhari candidacy because he chose to fight for the political relevance of the ANPP in the north . .it clearly shows that team Buhari did not make their political deductions well and they failed woefully in not shifting grounds in the alliance talk the same way ACN and Ribadu gladly did . . . They were too engrossed with the Northern numbers forgetting the fact the the PDP grassroots machinery in all corners of the North can't be extinguished without a struggle . . Politics is a give and take, team BB only wanted to take without giving and that was what alienated them in their quest . . .an Alliance would have have given GEJ a good run . . .but ego and selfish interest made sure any alliance talk success was made a mirage once again, and with Buhari dogged stance always the major culprit . . .
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Lagosboy: 10:07am On Apr 20, 2011
mbulela:

consensus candidacy. tongue

grin  grin

Gbawe:

Thank you my brother !!!! El Rufai is simply sounding like a man who has let frustration cloud his reasoning.

Who would not be frustrated seeing we have to endure another 4 years of a clueless president who has spent 200 billion dollars and nothing to show for it. In fact it is more than frustration, anyone that has love for Nigeria wiould be frustrated. This is no excuse for him though !
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Lagosboy: 10:10am On Apr 20, 2011
jmaine:

So you felt Shekarau was morally wrong not to support Buhari candidacy because he chose to fight for the political relevance of the ANPP in the north . .it clearly shows that team Buhari did not make their political deductions well and they failed woefully in not shifting grounds in the alliance talk the same way ACN and Ribadu gladly did . . . They were too engrossed with the Northern numbers forgetting the fact the the PDP grassroots machinery in all corners of the North can't be extinguished without a struggle . . Politics is a give and take, team BB only wanted to take without giving and that was what alienated them in their quest . . .an Alliance would have have given GEJ a good run . . .but ego and selfish interest made sure such alliance talk was made a mirage once again and with Buhari dogged stance always the culprit . . .

One thing we all ignore is the money factor in Nigerian politics. Buhari and the folks round huim did their best and deserve praises for that. Spending maybe 1% of the reported 200 billion naira GEJ spent and gaining 34% of the votes is not childs meal. ACN most probably even spent more than CPC and could only gain 5% of the votes.

This is putting aside all the rigging.

However there is room to make a million changes, we learn everyday and hopefully the mistakes of the past will be learnt and corrected for the success of the future.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by agabaI23(m): 10:12am On Apr 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well, from Wikileaks, we know that the ANPP is heavily infested by PDP moles, at the very least. Perhaps he is correct about the ACN allying with the PDP as well.

I like this voter turnout table: http://www.saharareporters.com/sites/default/files/uploads/ElRufaiTable.jpg

Raises a lot of questions.
tOnly he turn in Imo and Abia will be termed high compared to other areas.
GEJ's wife is from Abia and that is understandable.
Abia was part of Imo and share boundaries with South-South.  So if we have high turn outs there, no need to raise eyebrows.

The turn out in other SE states were only average and can be described as low.

In the South west, one could attribute the low turn out to apathy since most of them lean towards ACN and many thought that their candidate had no chance.

The turn out in the North would have been more than it  was if there were people left in the house. Inflated voters register could not help them this time around. Voting for Buhari was a religious duty and noone would have been left behind.

If you ask me, turn out in the North was 100%
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Lagosboy: 10:14am On Apr 20, 2011
agabaI23:

tOnly he turn in Imo and Abia will be termed high compared to other areas.
GEJ's wife is from Abia and that is understandable.
Abia was part of Imo and share boundaries with South-South. So if we have high turn outs there, no need to raise eyebrows.

The turn out in other SE states were only average and can be described as low.

In the South west, one could attribute the low turn out to apathy since most of them lean towards ACN and many thought that their candidate had no chance.

The turn out in the North would have been more than it was if there were people left in the house. Inflated voters register could not help them this time around. Voting for Buhari was a religious duty and noone would have been left behind.

If you ask me, turn out in the North was 100%

GEJs wife is from Rivers state not Abia
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by vigasimple(m): 10:19am On Apr 20, 2011
Northern 'BORN TO RULE' people. Is Bhuari better than GEJ, what about people like Pat Utomi that the system will not allow to lead.

The fact that people like Ribadu, El- Rufai, Lamido Sanusi and few other good Northerners are available does not stop the fact that there are 100 of southerners for one of them that are good in the North.

If election is by merit and competence(other than Region and Religion), then the North will never rule this country.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by agabaI23(m): 10:23am On Apr 20, 2011
Lagosboy:

GEJs wife is from Rivers state not Abia
I think you are right. I was told by at least 2 friend's from Abia that she is from Abia. The last person was gloating that she will be the second first lady to come from Abia after Aguironsi's wife. Thanks for the correction anyway.
Lagosboy:

One thing we all ignore is the money factor in Nigerian politics. Buhari and the folks round huim did their best and deserve praises for that. Spending maybe 1% of the reported 200 billion naira GEJ spent and gaining 34% of the votes is not childs meal. ACN most probably even spent more than CPC and could only gain 5% of the votes.

This is putting aside all the rigging.

However there is room to make a million changes, we learn everyday and hopefully the mistakes of the past will be learnt and corrected for the success of the future.
Will you work with what is on ground or wait for another 4 years before you begin? If you have love for Nigeria, you will put your sentiment apart and help the country out of wood. It does not have to go your way before you can be part of it otherwise I will doubt your patriotism.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by mbulela: 10:26am On Apr 20, 2011
vigasimple:

Northern 'BORN TO RULE' people. Is Bhuari better than GEJ, what about people like Pat Utomi that the system will not allow to lead.

The fact that people like Ribadu, El- Rufai, Lamido Sanusi and few other good Northerners are available does not stop the fact that there are 100 of southerners for one of them that are good in the North.

If election is by merit and competence(other than Region and Religion), then the North will never rule this country.

like this one we had last week, abi?
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Lagosboy: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2011
agabaI23:

I think you are right. I was told by at least 2 friend's from Abia that she is from Abia. The last person was gloating that she will be the second first lady to come from Abia after Aguironsi's wife. Thanks for the correction anyway.Will you work with what is on ground or wait for another 4 years before you begin? If you have love for Nigeria, you will put your sentiment apart and help the country out of wood. It does not have to go your way before you can be part of it otherwise I will doubt your patriotism.

I will work on ground with the opposition and i dont have to be with PDP to contribute my own quota to Nigerias development. The time is now and we should not wait till 2014 before work starts, this is one of the reasons I support Buhari stance of not going to court.

Litigation saps all your energy and attention and you darg it till 2013 and GEj is vonfirmed president again and you then have only 18 months to start to work towards 2015.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbawe: 10:31am On Apr 20, 2011
mbulela:

I am more worried by this portion of the article.
This is truly worrying.
Is this rentier state the FRESH AIR we were promised?

Indeed. That is why it is the section you highlight that I highlight also even when I clearly read and took in El-Rufai's frustrated rant against the ACN and ANPP. Some of us see the big picture of how it is the good Governance of Nigeria that matters above everything else. If you notice , it is BB fans who only wish to highlight the part of the article that enables them to continue fighting everyone and everything , friend and foe, to a standstill !!!

This is why I asked , before the elections , why BB and CPC fans , and some of their leaders like bakare, are never moderate in talk and thinking . Taking a hardline on everything and against everyone will not get anyone far in life unless they happen to be Pastors talking to their mesmerised flock.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by vigasimple(m): 10:36am On Apr 20, 2011
mbulela:

like this one we had last week, abi?

Even , the last week one GEJ is still better than Bhuari, Ribadu and Shekaru are slightly better than GEJ, so your logic does not add up.

The North breed the incompetence and 'BORN TO RULE' that throws up Yar A'clueless which gave up GEJ.

My question has always; WILL THE NORTH VOTE A CHRISTIAN FROM THE SOUTH? VERY UNLIKELY IMO.

The answer to thatt shows the gross of our self denial that the NORTH are simply intrested in Lording it over the rest including Bhuari, the SOUTH especially the SW are the most easy people to persuade if you have good policies and idea. The NORTH are not  unless you are Fulani/Hausa Muslim fro the North
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by Gbawe: 10:46am On Apr 20, 2011
Lagosboy:

Who would not be frustrated seeing [b]we have to endure another 4 years of a clueless president who has spent 200 billion dollars and nothing to show for it. [/b]In fact it is more than frustration, anyone that has love for Nigeria wiould be frustrated. This is no excuse for him though !

It does not have to be like that !!! We must learn how to play effective opposition politics in Nigeria as is done in the UK, USA and even in Ghana where Rawlings and Atta-Mills kept up their onslaught against the ruling Party while they were the opposition.

The problem with Nigeria is that , after elections , we accept the results, fold our arms and go home into hibernation for another 4 years . that should not be an option this time around . Bakare showed he can motivate people . Rather than continue to accumulate enemies unduly he should , as his first patriotic act in opposition, rally Nigerians behind patriot like Rev. Ugolor for on onslaught on the insincere National Assembly that refused to pass the PIB . That is how we do it . That is how we use people power to get things done and check the misrule we all complain about yet fail to appreciate that we have the power to stop. This is why I kept asking you what Buhari and co do out of power that will enable every Nigerian get behind them come election time . As an effective opposition Politician , wanting to wrestle power from misruling incumbents, you should not only be active when it is election time .

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/pib-protesters-call-for-resignation-of-ekweremadu/

PIB: Protesters call for resignation of Ekweremadu
On March 10, 2011 · · In News

BY INALEGWU SHAIBU
ABUJA – A coalition of civil society for PIB campaign yesterday called on Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, to resign for calling those protesting the delay in the passage of Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, charlatans.

Coordinator of the group, Rev. David Ugolor, who spoke to newsmen yesterday, said it was shameful and disgraceful for the deputy senate president to call peaceful protesters who are working for the growth of Nigeria charlatans.

He said: “For the deputy senate president to call civil society groups that came here on Monday to protest why the PIB has not been passed since the Joint Committee on PIB submitted its report to the Senate, without any violence as charlatans is very disgraceful.

“Sen Ekeremadu is not the type of leader we need in this country. The deputy senate president should, therefore, resign for making such statement.

“Do they want what happened in Niger Delta before to happen again? Can Sen Ekweremadu refer to ex-militant as charlatans? A man of his calibre should not call protesters charlatans.

Rev. Ugolor noted that the deputy senate president should have taken advantage of his office to make history by passing the bill, instead of involving in frivolities and name calling.

According to him, “with that comment, do you think somebody like Sen Ekweremadu should be in that position?

“He had the opportunity of making history with the privilege of chairing the Senate in the absence of the Senate President and all he could do was to call peaceful protesters charlatans, we resist any effort to frustrate the passage of the bill because its passage will benefit Nigerians.”

The group also demanded an apology from the deputy senate president, insisting that it was impolite for a Senator of Ekweremadu’s status to ascribe such abusive word to Nigerians who are seeking the benefits of the larger society through peaceful protests.

Rev. Ugolor added that the civil societies is committed to better Nigeria, stressing that no amount of verbal harassment will deter them from mounting protest to ensure that the PIB is passed into law.
Re: The Nigerian 2011 Elections-An Opportunity Lost?by:Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai by ayinba1(f): 10:46am On Apr 20, 2011
@gbawe

You know, sometimes the hard way IS the only way. Your points all seem to make winning the end rather than the means. So do you think that it is okay to be silent on the ills of the opposition just to have a broader appeal?

You are a member of ACN. what do you make of Nuhu Ribadu's political career as it stands now? I am still a fan of NH but I recall when many raised questions about his alliance with Tinubu, he explained it away.

Would you agree that the marriage has cost hi more than the loss in the election?

Buhari took the hard way and even if he did not win this election, he has won in many other ways. I am glad that the last minute Alliance did not work. That would have been a dirty compromise on the General and Pastor Bakare's standards.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers, A/ibom, Lagos, Delta Get Lion’s Share •as FG, States, Lgs Share N921bn F / The Surest Card By The Southeast To Grab The Presidency... / Moment Of Honesty: What Has President Jonathan Done?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.