Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? (2093 Views)

What Kind Of House Can I Build With 3m / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months? / How Much Is Bricklayer Fees For Laying Bricks And Plastering 3 Bedroom House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 11:13pm On Apr 17, 2021
My engineer told me there is no need to include pillars/columns in my 5 bedroom bungalow since building is not bearing any load except roof. Is he correct ? He also said if I include the pillars then I must do horizontal beam which will increase construction costs substantially. Another engineer is of the opinion that I can do pillars but not horizontal beam just to strengthen the building. See pictures of type of pillars I mean below. Expert should please advise ?

Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 11:16pm On Apr 17, 2021
Other examples

Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by ascendo(m): 11:18pm On Apr 17, 2021
First of all, where is the location? The soil topography determines everything.

Some buildings must be chained at the foundation or lintel to avoid expansion cracks
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 11:25pm On Apr 17, 2021
Thanks for the response ascendo.
Location: Adron estate, west park and gardens, Ashipa-Oleyo, Ibadan.
I dont really know about the soil topography but there are many buildings there, including duplexes.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by ascendo(m): 11:31pm On Apr 17, 2021
capsogiga:
Thanks for the response ascendo.
Location: Adron estate, west park and gardens, Ashipa-Oleyo, Ibadan.
I dont really know about the soil topography but there are many buildings there, including duplexes.
Then a practicing Engineer there has the best answer. It shouldn't be in assumption's, let the facts be clearly spelt out. But I most times prefer chaining the lintels onto the pillars at the four corners of buildings for stability
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by AquilaTraining: 12:27am On Apr 18, 2021
Technically, you do not need either the columns (pillars) or the beams since it is just a bungalow on an apparent good and dry soil (from the pictures). But as the column reinforcement is already in place, it is better to tie them together with a beam to derive the maximum benefits of additional strengthening to the building.

However the building is still safe without the beams, but the column alone would not really contribute any strengthening to the building, hence a waste as it were.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 4:31am On Apr 18, 2021
AquilaTraining:
Technically, you do not need either the columns (pillars) or the beams since it is just a bungalow on an apparent good and dry soil (from the pictures). But as the column reinforcement is already in place, it is better to tie them together with a beam to derive the maximum benefits of additional strengthening to the building.

However the building is still safe without the beams, but the column alone would not really contribute any strengthening to the building, hence a waste as it were.
Thanks. More contribution pls
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by MRFIXER001: 5:26am On Apr 18, 2021
A bungalow doesn't need a column if the land has a good bearing capacity. Beam is inevitable, if you decided not to do foundation or roof beam what about lintel beam? One of the main purpose of foundation and roof beam is to prevent the expansion of cracks, but on some cases (if the land is good, good construction practice and purse of the client), people don't use it
AquilaTraining:

Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 5:58am On Apr 18, 2021
MRFIXER001:
A bungalow doesn't need a column if the land has a good bearing capacity. Beam is inevitable, if you decided not to do foundation or roof beam what about lintel beam? One of the main purpose of foundation and roof beam is to prevent the expansion of cracks, but on some cases (if the land is good, good construction practice and purse of the client), people don't use it
Thanks. More contribution pls
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 9:25am On Apr 18, 2021
More contribution pls
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by Mekenz(m): 2:13pm On Apr 18, 2021
It depends on your pocket and the nature of the soil, if it's a dry and level land, and you're not planning to do concrete facia (aka parapet) on the building,

the best you can just do, is to chain all the external walls together, you can use 10mm rod to save cost, then just put horizontal beams at doors areas internally, pillars at the four corners of the building is not necessary, since it's just a bungalow.
With these your building will still stand strong.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 2:26pm On Apr 18, 2021
capsogiga:
More contribution pls
Thank you very much. I intend to do concrete parapet. Will parapet require me to do pillars/column and beam ?
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 2:28pm On Apr 18, 2021
Mekenz:
It depends on your pocket and the nature of the soil, if it's a dry and level land, and you're not planning to do concrete facia (aka parapet) on the building,

the best you can just do, is to chain all the external walls together, you can use 10mm rod to save cost, then just put horizontal beams at doors areas internally, pillars at the four corners of the building is not necessary, since it's just a bungalow.
With these your building will still stand strong.
How do I chain all the external walls together?
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by Mekenz(m): 4:04pm On Apr 18, 2021
capsogiga:

How do I chain all the external walls together?
it means running horizontal beams on the top of all the external walls of the building only.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by bsonenterprise: 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2021
ok
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2021
Mekenz:
it means running horizontal beams on the top of all the external walls of the building only.
Thank you very much.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 4:24pm On Apr 18, 2021
Mekenz:
Is this horizontal beam same as lintel or head course ?
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by Mekenz(m): 4:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
capsogiga:

Is this horizontal beam same as lintel or head course ?
yeah lintel, is good you understand my point, to save cost, just run lintel at the external walls only, then only on doors areas internally.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 5:15pm On Apr 18, 2021
Mekenz:
yeah lintel, is good you understand my point, to save cost, just run lintel at the external walls only, then only on doors areas internally.
Thanks. My thoughts exactly. But engineer says lintel is different from horizontal beam ! He sent the picture below. In fact now I am confused. I can't afford to run horizontal beams on all ways, both internally and externally. To the engineer I have two options. 1. Columns + horizontal beams. 2. No columns, no horizontal beam since it is only a bungalow with parapet. Meanwhile, people are telling me I should not build a 5 bedroom house without pillars/ columns!

Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by Mekenz(m): 5:28pm On Apr 18, 2021
capsogiga:

Thanks. My thoughts exactly. But engineer says lintel is different from horizontal beam ! He sent the picture below. In fact now I am confused. I can't afford to run horizontal beams on all ways, both internally and externally. To the engineer I have two options. 1. Columns + horizontal beams. 2. No columns, no horizontal beam since it is only a bungalow with parapet. Meanwhile, people are telling me I should not build a 5 bedroom house without pillars/ columns!
well what he says is right, but as a builder myself, since it's just a bungalow with a concrete facia , what you just need to do is run lintels at the external walls only, and you can as well put pillars at the four corners of the building only, because of the parapet. No need for other reinforcements. Your building will still stand strong.

NB: I'm saying all these considering your budget, but if wish you can go and put beams and pillars all over your building, no problems.
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 10:36pm On Apr 18, 2021
Mekenz:
well what he says is right, but as a builder myself, since it's just a bungalow with a concrete facia , what you just need to do is run lintels at the external walls only, and you can as well put pillars at the four corners of the building only, because of the parapet. No need for other reinforcements. Your building will still stand strong.

NB: I'm saying all these considering your budget, but if wish you can go and put beams and pillars all over your building, no problems.
Thanks
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by capsogiga(m): 5:08am On Apr 21, 2021
More contribution pls
Re: Can I Build A 5-bedroom House With Pillars But No Horizontal Beam ? by Handzome4u(m): 4:25pm On Apr 24, 2021
Good evening everyone,

Please i need an advice on my building project.
I acquired a land with an uncompleted building to dpc level.
It is a 2 bedroom flat and 3(room & parlor) self contain. But i intended converting the building plan to 5(room & parlor) self contain.
So the engineer suggested that he could change the plan after I complete the filling.
He said after the filling we will allow the sand to sit first then we will do the German floor.
Then we can continue with the new building plan 5(room & parlor) self contain.
Please i need a good advice on this.
If there would be any adverse effect in the future.
Thanks
���

(1) (Reply)

2 Bedroom Flat,1 Year Rent,800k,oniru. / 48 Acres Of Prime Waterfront Land For Sale In Ibeju Lekki. Cheap And Hot / A Plot Of Land For Sale In Warri,delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.