Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives (36246 Views)

Is It Sin For Man To Have Sex Together With His Two Wives?- Man Asks Daddyfreeze / Why Do Many Christians See Drinking As Sin When It Is In The Bible? / Is It A Sin To Drop Empty Envelope In Offering Box? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 1:49pm On Apr 18, 2021
trevorhorace:
I know it's mandatory for those who want to take up positions of authority in the church as stated in the new testament

Generally the original plan God had was for one man and one wife. ' A man shall leave his father and mother and cling unto his wife and become one flesh' .
Mandated by whom? God? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 2:31pm On Apr 18, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

But when it comes to tithes we revert back to Judaism?

Jesus never condemned tithes. Man established polygamy and God wouldn't allow the false doctrine to continue. That was one of the reason Jesus came to correct things. If you read properly what lead to Jesus condemning polygamy, it was the same Jews that were asking after the same issue. He simply replied them it was because of the hardness of their heart that moses filed a letter of divorce for couples but from the beginning it was not so.

Matthew 19:7 "They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so."

Me I Don talk my own. You people should hid the warning now before it is too late.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 2:44pm On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
You're just a lying preacher. You never made mention of your reference being from King James version of the bible. Kindly check your initial post. And even if it were KJV, do all other translation not carry the same meaning as the verse I quote to you earlier? Just tell us you want to argue blindly so we can give room for fools to contend with you
I don't know what's your problem.

It doesn't change the fact you have comprehension problem.

Jesus talked about divorcing wife you change it to he said you must marry one wife.

You're a liar and and impostor who don't understand what he reads.

Go on with ignorance you're not the first .

It doesn't change the fact that polygamy is not adultery and Jesus never said it was.

3 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 2:46pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

Jesus never condemned tithes. Man established polygamy and God wouldn't allow the false doctrine to continue. That was one of the reason Jesus came to correct things. If you read properly what lead to Jesus condemning polygamy, it was the same Jews that were asking after the same issue. He simply replied them it was because of the hardness of their heart that moses filed a letter of divorce for couples but from the beginning it was not so.

Matthew 19:7 "They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so."

Me I Don talk my own. You people should hid the warning now before it is too late.
So did Jesus say polygamy is sin? Simple question.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 2:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

I don't know what's your problem.

It doesn't change the fact you have comprehension problem.

Jesus talked about divorcing wife you change it to he said you must marry one wife.

You're a liar and and impostor who don't understand what he reads.

Go on with ignorance you're not the first .

It doesn't change the fact that polygamy is not adultery and Jesus never said it was.
You just love blind arguments oga. The scripture is super clear on this matter, and I will quote the words of Jesus for you to read so you can end your online foolishness :

This passage from Mark 10 is at the heart of all Christian teaching on marriage and divorce:

1He left that place and went to the region of Judea and beyond the Jordan. And crowds again gathered around him; and, as was his custom, he again taught them. 2 Some Pharisees came, and to test him they asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" 3 He answered them, "What did Moses command you?" 4 They said, "Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of dismissal and to divorce her." 5 But Jesus said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart he wrote this commandment for you. 6 But from the beginning of creation, "God made them male and female.' 7 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 8 and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." 10 Then in the house the disciples asked him again about this matter. 11 He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; 12 and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery."

Points to note :

1. Jesus said the two shall become one flesh (v7-cool. Not three or more.

2. Once a man is married to one wife, he cannot marry another because that overrules point one and goes against Jesus command in verses 11&12.

Conclusion : You can choose to continue your blind argument but only a fool will engage you in it. Since it is obvious that Jesus has told us what he thinks about marrying more than one wife.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

When you marry more than one wife or husband, its polygamy and that is what Jesus described as adultery. Yes it is sin!

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

Please point to where the Jews asked Jesus about polygamy. You guys always love reading your preconceived notions into the Bible. Or, you are having problems differentiating between divorce and polygamy? At least from all what you've been posting.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Janosky: 5:34pm On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

Matthew 19
New Living Translation
Discussion about Divorce and Marriage

19 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went down to the region of Judea east of the Jordan River. 2 Large crowds followed him there, and he healed their sick.

3 Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife for just any reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’[a]” 5 And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’[b] 6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together"

God joined one man and one woman as husband and wife.
NOT one man two wives, or one woman four husbands. Etc
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by KaideeGee(m): 5:46pm On Apr 18, 2021
Lol... Bros you are free to marry as many as you want oh, but be mindful that the number of wives you have is directly proportional to the amount of waya you will experience
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by seohubb: 6:15pm On Apr 18, 2021
illicit:
Fee free

There are some things I don't take the dictates from anyone or anything

I will be a polygamist than being a serial adulterer

Polygamist are never satisfied!!!
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by illicit(m): 6:19pm On Apr 18, 2021
seohubb:

Polygamist are never satisfied!!!

shocked

Yes, I think you are right, because it takes an addiction to women to become a polygamist
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by seohubb: 6:25pm On Apr 18, 2021
illicit:

shocked

Yes, I think you are right, because it takes an addiction to women to become a polygamist

Sure! In my own page of reasoning, having more than one wife means you have ordained your habit of womanizing.. There's good probability of having more wives or womanizing!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 6:37pm On Apr 18, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

Please point to where the Jews asked Jesus about polygamy. You guys always love reading your preconceived notions into the Bible. Or, you are having problems differentiating between divorce and polygamy? At least from all what you've been posting.

The word polygamy was not used in the bible. But more than one wife is polygamy in the our modern term.

As per the question the Jews ere asking jesus was based in divorce. And if the divorce comes in between couples, of course they are bound to marry another wife or husband or even keep messing with side chicks.

Mark 10:2 "And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. 10:3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. 10:5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

A smoker, who claimed to be a chtistian once told me that there is nothing wrong with smoking. I told him it's a sin and it would lead him hell if he doesn't repent and forsake it. He is reply was that smoking was not in the bible, so nothing was wrong with it. No matter how one preaches the truth, human beings live evil and they will always find excuse to fall back or incline unto it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by MightySparrow: 6:38pm On Apr 18, 2021
trevorhorace:
I know it's mandatory for those who want to take up positions of authority in the church as stated in the new testament

Generally the original plan God had was for one man and one wife. ' A man shall leave his father and mother and cling unto his wife and become one flesh' .

Very correct, greed makes peoole to marry more than one wife. God created one mouth, two eyes, two legs, but one woman.
The evil of polygamy shows that it wasn't God's original plan.
Imaging a world without Hagar and Ishmael.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 6:43pm On Apr 18, 2021
The only thing that make a married man or woman to be remarried is only the death of his or her partner. At that point, he or she is free to remarry. Beczuse only death can seperate or break that law of marriage from any couple. But if they are still alive, even if they are divorce, they have no right to marry according to the Bible. "he that has an ear, let him here what the spirit of God is speaking to the churches".

1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:01pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:
The only thing that make a married man or woman to be remarried is only the death of his or her partner. At that point, he or she is free to remarry. Beczuse only death can seperate or break that law of marriage from any couple. But if they are still alive, even if they are divorce, they have no right to marry according to the Bible. "he that has an ear, let him here what the spirit of God is speaking to the churches".

1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
Unfortunately, Corinthians 7 vs 39, which was Paul's attempt at explanation there to the Jewish Christians, previously Old Covenant sinners- expounding on why Jesus Christ had to live and die the way He did for their sake - does not fit well into this particular discussion. undecided

The question you are asked is simple... did Jesus Christ declare it a sin for a man to marry more than one wife? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:06pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

The word polygamy was not used in the bible. But more than one wife is polygamy in the our modern term.

As per the question the Jews ere asking jesus was based in divorce. And if the divorce comes in between couples, of course they are bound to marry another wife or husband or even keep messing with side chicks.

Mark 10:2 "And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. 10:3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. 10:5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

A smoker, who claimed to be a chtistian once told me that there is nothing wrong with smoking. I told him it's a sin and it would lead him hell if he doesn't repent and forsake it. He is reply was that smoking was not in the bible, so nothing was wrong with it. No matter how one preaches the truth, human beings live evil and they will always find excuse to fall back or incline unto it.
You keep beating about the bush on this. undecided

Where it concerns marriage, Jesus Christ gave them two laws

1) Honor your marriage agreement in obedience to God

2) Divorce is only allowed by God in the case of fornication

A third law He Law which has to do with sexual matters is

3) When you lust in your heart, you do so in disobedience to God.

Other than that, He declared that your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom. So, try to attempt an answer based on the Truth of God instead. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 7:09pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Unfortunately, Corinthians 7 vs 39, which was Paul's attempt at explanation there to the Jewish Christians, previously Old Covenant sinners- expounding on why Jesus Christ had to live and die the way He did for their sake - does not fit well into this particular discussion. undecided

The question you are asked is simple... did Jesus Christ declare it a sin for a man to marry more than one wife? undecided

Yes! Polygamy is a sin, Mr. Obeying Gods word in the bible is not by force. We have seen pastors, deacons in the church with more than one wife and they still preach on the pulpit. But at the end of their lives, they would pay for their sins.

By then, the word of God in the bible that says,

Matthew 7:20-21 KJV
"Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Would be fulfilled in their upon their souls. Heaven is for few people and a place prepared for the prepared people. Heaven is not by chance. I am done!

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 7:11pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
You keep beating about the bush on this. undecided

Where it concerns marriage, Jesus Christ gave them two laws

1) Honor your marriage agreement in obedience to God

2) Divorce is only allowed by God in the case of fornication

A third law He Law which has to do with sexual matters is

3) When you lust in your heart, you do so in disobedience to God.

Other than that, He declared that your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom. So, try to attempt an answer based on the Truth of God instead. undecided

A married couple can't commit for i still, they commit adultery. Only unmarried people commit fornication. Polygamy is sin and it would lead to hell. Period!

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:12pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

Yes! Polygamy is a sin, Mr. Obeying Gods word in the bible is not by force. We have seen pastors, deacons in the church with more than one wife and they still preach on the pulpit. But at the end of their lives, they would pay for their sins.

By then, the word of God in the bible that says,

Matthew 7:20-21 KJV
"Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Would be fulfilled in their upon their souls. Heaven is for few people and a place prepared for the prepared people. Heaven is not by chance. I am done!
Again, you have yet to state, in God's own words, that polygamy is indeed a sin. All you have done so far is make attempts at adding to God's Law by preaching your own ideas(doctrines) and traditions as if they are of God. Remember God is against those who do such even in His Kingdom. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:19pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

A married couple can't commit for i still, they commit adultery. Only unmarried people commit fornication. Polygamy is sin and it would lead to hell. Period!
Actually, according to Jesus Christ, the one who turned the descriptions upside down, it is indeed as so.
Matthew 19 vs 9(KJV)
9. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”
He repeats the same message elsewhere in the same Matthew
Matthew 5 vs 32(KJV)
32. “But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.”

Now, you know and you can update others on the new definitions of those words as given you by Jesus Christ.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 7:58pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Again, you have yet to state, in God's own words, that polygamy is indeed a sin. All you have done so far is make attempts at adding to God's Law by preaching your own ideas(doctrines) and traditions as if they are of God. Remember God is against those who do such even in His Kingdom. undecided

But you can marry as many as you want if you like. You don't need to be a Christian or Jesus follower. Jesus said it, "many are called but few are chosen".
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 8:01pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Actually, according to Jesus Christ, the one who turned the descriptions upside down, it is indeed as so.
He repeats the same message elsewhere in the same Matthew

Now, you know and you can update others on the new definitions of those words as given you by Jesus Christ.

Polygamy is sin and will continue to be sin. God is holy and jesus is holy. He can't alter what he established. That's is why he is God and saviour.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 8:09pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

But you can marry as many as you want if you like. You don't need to be a Christian or Jesus follower. Jesus said it, "many are called but few are chosen".
Jesus Christ never did mention anything about how many wives one can have. Again, He declared that your marriages mean nothing in the Kingdom of God so that statement alone is very telling as far as your ideas on marriage truly belong. undecided

Jesus Christ declared that only those who obey His commandments(Truth) are worthy of Him .I.e. can become His followers. So, it is not enough to say you believe and hence you are a Christian by that. No, only those who continue to obey His commandments(Truth) become worthy of Him , and it is in doing so that you are set free from slavery to sin as well. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 8:11pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

Polygamy is sin and will continue to be sin. God is holy and jesus is holy. He can't alter what he established. That's is why he is God and saviour.
Again, Jesus Christ declared it is sin to add to His commandments your own ideas and commandments. undecided
That you are willing here to go against God supposing you do so on behalf of God should instead make you consider that which is truly driving you here. Obviously, it is against God, so what is it? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 8:58pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Again, Jesus Christ declared it is sin to add to His commandments your own ideas and commandments. undecided
That you are willing here to go against God supposing you do so on behalf of God should instead make you consider that which is truly driving you here. Obviously, it is against God, so what is it? undecided

I don't think you are a Christian. You can marry 4.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Jesus Christ never did mention anything about how many wives one can have. Again, He declared that your marriages mean nothing in the Kingdom of God so that statement alone is very telling as far as your ideas on marriage truly belong. undecided

Jesus Christ declared that only those who obey His commandments(Truth) are worthy of Him .I.e. can become His followers. So, it is not enough to say you believe and hence you are a Christian by that. No, only those who continue to obey His commandments(Truth) become worthy of Him , and it is in doing so that you are set free from slavery to sin as well. undecided

I don't understand what you are saying? Is polygamy sin or not? It is clearly written. Marriage is between a man and a woman and not for any third party. So, polygamy is a sin. I rest my case

Matthew 19:4-6 KJV
"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, [5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:07pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

I don't think you are a Christian. You can marry 4.
So you don't think I am a Christian because I declare that you can't honor God by your disobedience of His direct commandment to you? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:08pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

I don't understand what you are saying? Is polygamy sin or not? It is clearly written. Marriage is between a man and a woman and not for any third party. So, polygamy is a sin. I rest my case

Matthew 19:4-6 KJV
"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, [5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
So, you're suggesting that the same man cannot by that same law cleave to another woman and become one with that other woman as well? undecided

Or the other way, the first woman cannot, by the very same law, cleave to another man and become one with that other man as well? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:18pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
So you don't think I am a Christian because I declare that you can't honor God by your disobedience of His direct commandment to you? undecided

Christians are known by their agreement of what goes says in the bible. "by their fruits ye shall know them". If you disagree with what's Jesus stands and you are going the opposite, it is simple, you are not a Christian. One wife, and one husband, that's what the Bible says. And that's peace and rest of mind. Bye

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:25pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

Christians are known by their agreement of what goes says in the bible. "by their fruits ye shall know them". If you disagree with what's Jesus stands and you are going the opposite, it is simple, you are not a Christian. One wife, and one husband, that's what the Bible says. And that's peace and rest of mind. Bye
I am afraid you are mistaken... Jesus Christ never said that the fruits He referred to their has anything to do with the book you call your Bible today. That book did not eve exist until about 400 year ago. undecided

The fruits He spoke of instead has to do with the Word of God which He, Jesus Christ, told you is "...every Word out of God's mouth", not to be mistaken with every word written in the book you call your Bible. The fruits of the followers of Jesus Christ is seen through the righteousness of God that is expressed in their very existence... just as it was in the person of Jesus Christ. undecided

I don't disagree with Jesus Christ. What is contention here remains your interpretation of what Jesus Christ said. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

When you marry more than one wife or husband, its polygamy and that is what Jesus described as adultery. Yes it is sin!
For the fact that you kept bringing the divorce question of the Pharisees, you've proved nothing.
They ask can a man divorce his wife for any reasons?

You expect Jesus to yes or what?
Even me myself would not say yes.
He told them they should not divorce their wife simple.
If the Pharisees had asked should a man divorce his wives for any reason.
Jesus would actually say no to divorcing of wives because they've become one also.

Don't go beyond context. Point to me where the question asked refer to polygamy and stop using divorce question to answer polygamy question.
Common sense is not rocket science

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Modele Fatoyinbo Celebrates Her Birthday By Hosting Orphans (Pics) / Apostle Suleman Arrives Enugu In A Convoy, Man & Woman Kneel Down To Welcome Him / Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.