Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,711 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers (593 Views)

How To Read Smartphone Chargers / Types Of Smartphone Chargers / A Problem I'm Facing While Buying Smartphone On Wish Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 12:12pm On Apr 21, 2021
Hi there, let’s say you are in the market for a new charger. You want a spare or your old charger just gave up the ghost. Choosing a new charger can be tricky. There are so many charger brands in the market that it is so easy to get confused and only very few people know how to read smartphone charger specifications.

https://www.nairaland.com/6510880/types-smartphone-chargers

Different people approach buying a charger differently. Sadly, a majority of buyers believe that all chargers are the same or do the same thing. So, they just go out and pick up the first thing they see and return home. Others on the other hand may rely on other people like their family, friends, neighbors, adverts and sales people for advice.

The first approach is obviously a very bad approach. One could pick up a bad or incompatible charger that may damage their battery. The second approach is slightly better, but it would require that you ask someone who knows their onions. Taking advice from adverts or salespeople is a rather bad idea. These people only have one goal and that is to sell products. They do not care if it is good or bad for you. All they want to do is sell.

So is this a hopeless situation? Absolutely not. This post should help teach you how to read smartphone charger specifications. On every charger, there are words and letters written in strange spooky language. Oh no , they are not.

Charger specs

First off, you would see a model number of some sort. It means the model or build of the particular charger in question. You usually see something like Model: SDC-48W or Model:MDY-11-EZ. Model numbers are how manufacturers label and keep track of their products.

Next up, we have input. Input simply means the type of voltage that the charger can accept. Whilst different countries have different voltage standards, you can save yourself the headache by picking a charger with an AC input of 100 – 240V. This should ensure that your charger works with any voltage, anywhere in the world.

Finally we have output. Output simply means the type of power that a charger can supply to a battery. You can decipher this by simply multiplying the V value by the A value. For example, if you have a charger with an output of 5V and 2A. The power rating of the charger will be (5V x 2A =) 10W.

Output voltage should not be a problem as most chargers conform to the 5V output standard of the USB specification. If a charger has an output of less than 5V then you should definitely not buy it. A charger rated below 5V that does not conform to the USB standard. It is going to hurt your device. You should also avoid slow (5V/0.7A or 700mA) dumb generic chargers as using them may also harm your device in the long run.

Fast chargers

Fast chargers can have outputs as high as 20V (Q.C 3.0 and 4.0+). As long as your phone supports fast charging, they are very safe to use. An intelligent fast charger may have different output power ratings. For example, my Xiaomi charger here has the following ratings: 5.0V-3A (15W), 9.0V-3A (27W), 12.0V-2.25A (27W), 20.0V-1.35A (27W), 11.0V-3A (33W Max).

These figures show that there is a buck inverter in my charger and it can adjust voltage and current supply intelligently without sacrificing power delivery. The highest power ratings on a fast or three stage charger are meant for the rapid phase charging while the lower power ratings are meant for slow and trickle charge.

Quality

All good chargers should have good input/output voltage regulation, low heating and insulation to prevent electric shocks. They should also have symbols of certification showing that they have undergone rigorous testing and are fit for personal use. These symbols include EAC, CE, FCC, MFI, RoHS etc.

Compatibility

You should only buy chargers that are compatible with your device for the best charging results and a long battery life. If your phone does not support Fast Charge, getting a Fast Charger is actually rather pointless. You should simply get a 10W (5V/2A) charger. This will charge your phone as intended by the manufacturer.

If your phone does support fast charge, then only use a fast charger that is designed to work with the fast charge technology on your phone. If you use a phone powered by a MediaTek SoC, get yourself a Pump Express Charger. If you use a Snapdragon powered phone then a Quick Charge 3.0 charger would be appropriate for you.

If you use a Samsung device that is maxed out at 15W or 25W for example, buying a 60W charger is a blatant waste of money .

Do nots

Do not buy cheap generic chargers from roadside or traffic vendors. Avoid those chargers if you want your battery lifespan to last longer. Do not buy chargers that do not conform to the 5V USB specification. Do not buy chargers with dents or deep cracks. Do not buy chargers that smell funny like burnt rubber or plastic. Ensure to only buy chargers from your manufacturer or other solid brands like Aukey, Anker, Floveme, Celbro etc.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/04/21/how-to-read-smartphone-charger-specifications/

You can also visit us on Telegram @inquisitiveuniverse. We have a very thriving community of over 150 persons there.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by Hakeem12(m): 12:19pm On Apr 21, 2021
Nice one. Samsung has to be the most sting company ever, packing a 15 Watts charger with a phone that supports 25 Watts.

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 12:23pm On Apr 21, 2021
Hakeem12:
Nice one. Samsung has to be the most sting company ever, packing a 15 Watts charger with a phone that supports 25 Watts.

Them and Apple na the same thing. Their N5 no dey loss. They're simply profit oriented.
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by The5DME(m): 12:32pm On Apr 21, 2021
thank you op.
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2021
The5DME:
thank you op.

You're welcome
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by SweetBuns(f): 12:36pm On Apr 21, 2021
Hakeem12:
They actually want the best for us
Samsung and Apple doesn’t want us to fast charge our phones because they believe it’s bad for the batteries. At least I’m sure that what apple thinks

The Note 7 incident taught manufacturers a lesson
My phone supports fast charging (0-50%) in 30mins and yet it didn’t come with a fast charging pack

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 12:44pm On Apr 21, 2021
SweetBuns:

They actually want the best for us
Samsung and Apple doesn’t want us to fast charge our phones because they believe it’s bad for the batteries. At least I’m sure that what apple thinks

The Note 7 incident taught manufacturers a lesson
My phone supports fast charging (0-50%) in 30mins and yet it didn’t come with a fast charging pack

Oh yeah, this is the topic of my next article. Check my blog on Saturday or so.

But I disagree with you on Samsung wanting the best for their consumers. This is not true. They supply the phone with a slower charger and advertise higher charging speeds. What this does is to prompt many consumers to spend extra on purchasing the faster charger.

This generates extra revenue for the company.

It's a cash grab. Samsung doesn't want to protect you. In fact, the more money you spend, the better for them.
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by SweetBuns(f): 12:51pm On Apr 21, 2021
atheistandproud:

Oh yeah, this is the topic of my next article. Check my blog on Saturday or so.

But I disagree with you on Samsung wanting the best for their consumers. This is not true. They supply the phone with a slower charger and advertise higher charging speeds. What this does is to prompt many consumers to spend extra on purchasing the faster charger.

This generates extra revenue for the company.

It's a cash grab. Samsung doesn't want to protect you. In fact, the more money you spend, the better for them.
Sheesh
But I know for sure that apple doesn’t bring fast chargers from the pack cause it’s bad for the batteries
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2021
SweetBuns:

Sheesh
But I know for sure that apple doesn’t bring fast chargers from the pack cause it’s bad for the batteries

Well fast charging in excess isn't healthy for batteries but it's not for the reason Apple wants you to think about.

Apple uses li-ion batteries while everyone is upgrading to Li-po batteries. Samsung uses li-ion as well.

Li-ion batteries don't play very well with higher voltages. Li-ion batteries are also cheaper and discharge faster as well.

Li-ion Batteries lose their capacity faster also. This is a serious problem for apple as they use small capacity batteries.

So putting in fast charge and using up half of a battery's charge cycles in year will turn a 3500mAh iphone battery to 2,500 or less.

This is why.

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by Hakeem12(m): 1:31pm On Apr 21, 2021
atheistandproud:

Well fast charging isn't healthy for batteries but it's not for the reason Apple wants you to think about.

Apple uses li-ion batteries while everyone is upgrading to Li-po batteries. Samsung uses li-ion as well.

Li-ion batteries don't play very well with higher voltages. Li-ion batteries are also cheaper and discharge faster as well.

Li-ion Batteries lose their capacity faster also. This is a serious problem for apple as they use small capacity batteries.

So putting in fast charge and using up half of a battery's charge cycles in year will turn a 3500mAh iphone battery to 2,500 or less.

This is why.
i think Samsung uses li-po batteries now.
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 1:32pm On Apr 21, 2021
Hakeem12:
i think Samsung uses li-po batteries now.

For the A series abi.
Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by Hakeem12(m): 1:45pm On Apr 21, 2021
atheistandproud:

For the A series abi.
The battery on my A52 is Li-po, don't know about the previous series though

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don't Of Buying Smartphone Chargers by atheistandproud(m): 1:47pm On Apr 21, 2021
Hakeem12:
The battery on my A52 is Li-po, don't know about the previous series though

The S series still use li-ion. I reviewed the S21 for a friend and can confirm.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Samsung Might Be The First Phone With A Dimensity 720 Processor / Redmi Note Needed( ABUJA) / Do You Know How To Upgrade Firmware For 4G LTE Mobile Wifi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.