Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices (34805 Views)

Cement Prices In Nigeria: Cost Per Bag For Dangote, BUA Today – 26th March 2024 / Senate Moves To Whittle Down IGP’s Powers, Decentralises Police Structure / Senate Moves To Unbundle Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by sukar886: 8:20am On Apr 22, 2021
they should move fast
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by rollandben(m): 8:31am On Apr 22, 2021
These People are just too USELESS. their function as a body, we don't know. Bad governance in the country!
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by BeaconV1(m): 8:41am On Apr 22, 2021
God When
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by chinedumoooo: 8:54am On Apr 22, 2021
Bofoy4:
Dangote is wicked

in fact we need revolution in this country

very soon attack on dangote and his company will start.
Dangote is not the only one producing cement though their are political under tone.

Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by AKWATGOLD1(m): 8:57am On Apr 22, 2021
This is good step in right direction. But my fear is that if Dangote dangle juicy offer before this Senators there motion will be motionless.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Tayeni(m): 9:22am On Apr 22, 2021
UnabashedIPOB:

Monopoly of what ?This is an interview question.

His investment is related to profit, so what are you saying?

WOW! I am sorry I engaged you in a discussion that's above your intellectual comprehension. First off, you have no clue what monopoly means other than your simpleton understanding of it and secondly, you lack the ability to use a given data and apply it to an issue at hand. I apologize. I did not know your level of knowledge. You know, social media has made every IDIOT and numbskull an expert on issues that used to be only within the province of intellectuals.
You made a strong point with the profit data of Dangote cement. But, don't you think the high cost of cement could be attributed to the non existing key infrastructures like power and transportation.

Ideally, cement is best transported by rail not trucks. i learnt he built some roads leading to his factory himself. Assembles his trucks himself. Has a dedicated gas power plant. The general business environment in Nigeria is unstructured and hostile. What do you think?

3 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by 2sexycom(m): 9:55am On Apr 22, 2021
supportnija:
Useless men in power, cut your allowance, salary to save economy, I hate these people.
see bros, if you know deep down that Nigeria will not survive and you have access to stack up money, you do like them. These men know Nigeria will soon die. All that money is being converted to dollars, awaiting the death of Nigeria! They all know what they are doing.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Hideki(m): 10:29am On Apr 22, 2021
sonnie10:
Good development. its long over due.

Check Alibaba, almost all the confirmed sellers have their cement for $60 ( 29,000 naira) per ton (20 of 50kg bag) . So a bag is about #1450 (naira). The difference is too much!

If the manufacturers do not want to comply, the senate should just lift ban on importation. After all, the tax from all the manufacturer is nothing compared with import duty. Even the employment opportunities they provide could be compensated through creation of more construction work as a result of reduced cement price.
it will put more pressure on FX. We will need the dollars we don't have to import the cement. hence the price can jump to 5k
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Funkybabee(f): 11:48am On Apr 22, 2021
God will judg@ all of you.

you refuse to cut your salary and allowance to save Nigeria economy
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Arcridwan: 1:19pm On Apr 22, 2021
Senator Lola ashiru is an architect that is why he move that motion that is Nigeria for us you do you what will please you
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by AllenSpencer: 1:50pm On Apr 22, 2021
Dammyseyon:

Lol, I like to learn. How many percent market share does amazon control in the E-commerce industry? Less than 50 if you do your findings well. Samsung is topping the mobile technology industry with just 23% market share. I can't do all the research for you, you can help yourself to be informed. Why do you think facebook acquired WhatsApp, Instagram and even tried to acquire Tik-Tok? Read up on monopolistic competition. Thanks. I await your response

Competition or monopolistic competition.

This monopolistic competition is just an accusation. Every successful business wants to grow and spread his wings. Why accusing the financial strength of an individual.

Lets assume your monopolistic competition is valid, what are the competitors business strategy? Fold their arms and accuse the industry leader for having a large market share.

My point is that, In a competitive market, you cant accuse the largest market shareholder while exonerating competitors. You make it look like Dangote is responsible for his competitors woes.

Over 10 companies have licenses to build refinery as it stands today, one has not invested the way Dangote is doing, at the end of the day, people start screaming monopoly. Is Dangote deciding for all the billionaires in Nigeria not to compete with him.

Dangote`s competitor's are also worth billions and opened t several strategic options, Is it Dangote that is denying them loans . Give it to those businessmen. They take high risk and reap big. When the lose, we dont call them monopolistic losers
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by UnabashedIPOB: 2:22pm On Apr 22, 2021
Tayeni:
You made a strong point with the profit data of Dangote cement. But, don't you think the high cost of cement could be attributed to the non existing key infrastructures like power and transportation.

Ideally, cement is best transported by rail not trucks. i learnt he built some roads leading to his factory himself. Assembles his trucks himself. Has a dedicated gas power plant. The general business environment in Nigeria is unstructured and hostile. What do you think?

I understand your sentiment, but why would his cement be so much cheaper in Gambia than in Nigeria where it's been produced? If you recall in the data I shared, it shows that , "Dangote Cement’s revenues increased by 36.4% from N442 billion in 2016 to N603 billion in 2017. But instead of passing on some savings to the citizens, he rather increased its cement prices rather than reduce it." You know why? It's because he dominates that sector of the market and he knows come hell or high water, people MUST by his cement because it's essential commodity, hence a monopoly.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Dammyseyon(m): 2:27pm On Apr 22, 2021
AllenSpencer:

Competition or monopolistic competition.

This monopolistic competition is just an accusation. Every successful business wants to grow and spread his wings. Why accusing the financial strength of an individual.

Lets assume your monopolistic competition is valid, what are the competitors business strategy? Fold their arms and accuse the industry leader for having a large market share.

My point is that, In a competitive market, you cant accuse the largest market shareholder while exonerating competitors. You make it look like Dangote is responsible for his competitors woes.

Over 10 companies have licenses to build refinery as it stands today, one has not invested the way Dangote is doing, at the end of the day, people start screaming monopoly. Is Dangote deciding for all the billionaires in Nigeria not to compete with him.

Dangote`s competitor's are also worth billions and opened t several strategic options, Is it Dangote that is denying them loans . Give it to those businessmen. They take high risk and reap big. When the lose, we dont call them monopolistic losers

Candidly speaking, I'm enjoying your write up. You know what you are saying and I must accept you are making some point. But would you agree with me Dangote wouldnt be enjoying the kind of trade liberalism if it weren't for the government support in terms of embargo placed on importation of what he produce that can be imported at cheaper cost or high import duties placed on the few allowed ones? Look at the recent controversy on BUA's sugar plant stirring up just to pave way for Dangote? Do you know the closed border recently opened were opened because of Dangote? Our government is the reason Dangote controls our economy. Monopolistic competition makes producers dictate price. Unfortunately, there's little or nothing we can do about it.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by majole: 2:38pm On Apr 22, 2021
They can do whatever they like. They are all useless. Even if there are 100 million tonnes of cement being produced in Nigeria per annum prices would be high. Dangote the major manufacturer has not increased price since 2019 but middlemen men are the ones that increased the price_ it's their greediness _ they just want to paint Dangote black_ sabotaging the economy to destroy our own country. The blame it on insecurity
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by UnabashedIPOB: 2:42pm On Apr 22, 2021
Krismas:
cool Your error is in not properly differentiating MONOPOLY from MONOPOLISTIC TENDENCY or UNFAIR COMPETITION . Dangote cement is not a MONOPOLY

No, Dangote is a monopoly and is engaged in price fixing as well. Your confusion stems from the fact that your definition of monopoly is narrowly defined as a market structure characterized by a single seller, selling a unique product in the market where the seller faces no competition, as he is the sole seller of goods with no close substitute. He enjoys the power of setting the price for his goods. But you fail to understand also there's monopoly when a single company or a group of companies becomes large enough to own all or nearly all of the market (goods, supplies, commodities, infrastructure, and assets) for a particular type of product or service. If and when you can wrap your head around that, then may be you can begin to understand that monopoly is not just when one seller or manufacturer is involved.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by UnabashedIPOB: 2:47pm On Apr 22, 2021
AllenSpencer:

Come and learn UnabashedIPOB

Can you see how he hit the nail on the head briefly.

"Oligopoly "

And you are screaming monopoly upandan Nairaland

Mr. Educated

Your economics teacher should be killed if still alive.

Not only are you dumb as a rock , you are funny as well. You 're the one that needs to go and hang yourself for your idiocy. It seems like your brain does not have enough cells to be able to reason both simple and complex concepts. Buh-bye!
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by AllenSpencer: 3:12pm On Apr 22, 2021
Dammyseyon:

Candidly speaking, I'm enjoying your write up. You know what you are saying and I must accept you are making some point. But would you agree with me Dangote wouldnt be enjoying the kind of trade liberalism if it weren't for the government support in terms of embargo placed on importation of what he produce that can be imported at cheaper cost or high import duties placed on the few allowed ones? Look at the recent controversy on BUA's sugar plant stirring up just to pave way for Dangote? Do you know the closed border recently opened were opened because of Dangote? Our government is the reason Dangote controls our economy. Monopolistic competition makes producers dictate price. Unfortunately, there's little or nothing we can do about it.

When you said oligopoly, I did not contest that cos am certain that's what playing. Accusing Dangote I totally disagree cos in a free market, his competitors should be able to capitalize on his prices, but this is not the case. They follow each other at 100Naira price difference.

Can we say Dangote is monopolistic? If agree to say yes, then we must also accuse his competitors for their incompetence.

You talked about importation and that will kill local production and demand on forex. The idea is all about Dangote and people forget the fact that before importation will kill Dangote cement, all of his competitors would have gone bankrupt.

You cant take Dangote out. He has invested heavily and deserves that kudos. If government should regulate price, I believe Dangote can fall in line and still dominate. His competitors will feel the major impact considering their market share and production capability.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by sonnie10: 3:16pm On Apr 22, 2021
Hideki:
it will put more pressure on FX. We will need the dollars we don't have to import the cement. hence the price can jump to 5k

You are right about putting pressure on Fx.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by AllenSpencer: 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2021
UnabashedIPOB:

Not only are you dumb as a rock , you are funny as well. You 're the one that needs to go and hang yourself for your idiocy. It seems like your brain does not have enough cells to be able to reason both simple and complex concepts. Buh-bye!

grin

Mr. Educated that finds it difficult to understand monopoly. Mention Dangote's monopoly, and he starts composing a novel.

Did you see the brilliant analysis that dude made? He was able to come with detailed analysis and recommendation in brief.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Ayomivic(m): 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2021
Officialhorlah:

https://thenationonlineng.net/senate-moves-to-cut-cement-prices/
That is the end of discussion nothing would be done about it.
not only cement all building materials need to be seen to.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by UnabashedIPOB: 3:25pm On Apr 22, 2021
AllenSpencer:

grin

Mr. Educated that finds it difficult to understand monopoly. Mention Dangote's monopoly, and he starts composing a novel.

Did you see the brilliant analysis that dude made? He was able to come with detailed analysis and recommendation in brief.

You can take a horse to a water source but you sure can't force him to drink. If it's too difficult for your brain to grasp a common concept, what makes you believe that you would have an understanding of a more complex analysis. That's like forcing a rock to recite alphabets back to you.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Dammyseyon(m): 4:53pm On Apr 22, 2021
AllenSpencer:

When you said oligopoly, I did not contest that cos am certain that's what playing. Accusing Dangote I totally disagree cos in a free market, his competitors should be able to capitalize on his prices, but this is not the case. They follow each other at 100Naira price difference.

Can we say Dangote is monopolistic? If agree to say yes, then we must also accuse his competitors for their incompetence.

You talked about importation and that will kill local production and demand on forex. The idea is all about Dangote and people forget the fact that before importation will kill Dangote cement, all of his competitors would have gone bankrupt.

You can take Dangote out. He has invested heavily and deserves that kudos. If government should regulate price, I believe Dangote can fall in line and still dominate. His competitors who feel the major impact considering their market share and production capability.

I totally agree, you made a valid point
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Reference(m): 5:03pm On Apr 22, 2021
9jaRealist:

They were run into the ground by POOR government management....

Nonetheless, Ewekoro still exists. It is owned by Lafarge (used to be Blue Circle UK, before Lafarge acquired Blue Circle), which is the world’s BIGGEST AND MOST POWERFUL producer of cement. The irony was that despite the fact that Lafarge has been in Nigeria since the 1950s/60s (as well other major multinational cement producers like Holcim, Scancem, Heidelberg, etc.), before most of us were even born, it was until indigenous Nigerian producers like Dangote and BUA built world-class plants that Lafarge decided to rehabilitate and modernize its decrepit and polluting Ewekoro and Shagamu plants, and it was still bagging imported cement and producing/dumping low-quality 32.R-graded cement until Dangote and BUA came on the scene with locally-produced 42.R-grade cement (Dangote is the FIRST, and likely remains the ONLY producer, in Africa of 52.5R-grade cement, the highest quality globally).

Bendel Cement was acquired by BUA Group under the Obasanjo privatization program, and has since been retrofitted and modernized, and a brand new plant added, and is now producing about 6 million tons/year (more than 10x its production under government management and ownership). Sokoto Cement was also acquired by BUA Group under the privatization program, and repeated the same modernized production upgrade feature as it did in Edo State. Calabar Cement Co., which was moribund and not producing, was acquired by Flour Mills under the same privatization program, and together with Holcim built a state-of-the-art new plant in Cross River State, and again has geometrically increased production levels and capacity. Similarly, when BCC Gboko was acquired by Dangote Cement under the same Obasanjo privatization program, it was moribund and NOT producing any cement. After so much objection by rent-seeking Benue politicians, Dangote Cement turned around the plant, increasing its capacity TEN-FOLD from 400K tons/year to 4 million tons/year, built a power plant (which supplies electricity to the local community and LGA), roads, clinic and housing. Meanwhile, Ebonyi politicians also engaged in a long fight against Ibeto Group’s acquisition of Nkalagu Cement Co., until relatively recently, and since then the Ibeto Group has awarded contracts to Sinoma for a total rebuild and modernization of the Nkalagu plant (as well as a second new plant nearby).

The entry of indigenous Nigerian producers like BUA and Dangote has helped transform Nigeria from the world’s second-largest importer of cement (only second to the US) to an EXPORTER of cement, saving billions of dollars previously spent on importation, earning millions of dollars from exports, and CREATING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF JOBS IN NIGERIA FOR NIGERIANS! Only people who celebrate failure and denigrate success would want Nigeria to return to the old regime of poorly run government-owned cement companies, and massive imports. SMH
>

Well said. You can imagine what the Naira will be converting by now if we were importing cement.

What folks and the Nat Assembly should be asking for is details and reasons. Bring the producers in and ask them why the high margins compared to foreign products and see whether these factors can be handled, simple.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Reference(m): 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2021
Arcridwan:
Senator Lola ashiru is an architect that is why he move that motion that is Nigeria for us you do you what will please you

Nothing wrong in a knowledgeable person stepping up a concern. That is why we need the middle class representing us in government. They are practically affected.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Krismas(m): 8:20pm On Apr 23, 2021
UnabashedIPOB:

No, Dangote is a monopoly and is engaged in price fixing as well. Your confusion stems from the fact that your definition of monopoly is narrowly defined as a market structure characterized by a single seller, selling a unique product in the market where the seller faces no competition, as he is the sole seller of goods with no close substitute. He enjoys the power of setting the price for his goods. But you fail to understand also there's monopoly when a single company or a group of companies becomes large enough to own all or nearly all of the market (goods, supplies, commodities, infrastructure, and assets) for a particular type of product or service. If and when you can wrap your head around that, then may be you can begin to understand that monopoly is not just when one seller or manufacturer is involved.
cool U cannot reinvent the wheels of economics. If a market is perfect then its not a monopoly. Regardless of a prominent player. Prices are not fixed in heaven, its the players that interplay to fix price. To be the next thing after God is every business man's dream. Greed is the bloodline of capitalism. What stops the rest from being big? They can even consolidate like banks did inorder to compete more profitably with Dangote cement. Being a major player is not what makes u a monopoly. NASA is the major player in space exploration is that monopoly? If there are no shackles in place inhibiting others, then no monopoly
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by Krismas(m): 8:28pm On Apr 23, 2021
9jaRealist:

There are NO entry barriers to the cement industry in Nigeria...
Other than the hundreds of millions of US dollars needed to build cement plants.

Even Flour Mills ventured into the cement manufacturing business.
>
cool There is big time GOVERNMENTAL entry barrier to cement production/importation. This is the beginning and end of the problem. Thats the real monopoly
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by lionphil(m): 10:58pm On Apr 23, 2021
UnabashedIPOB:

My bad my brother! Sorry, for coming off like that. I just got tired of IDIOTS here who have bought hook line and sinker the FULANI agenda and propaganda. All HAIL BIAFRA!!

It's alright my brother. It's either they give us Biafra or Biafra. Nothing else will do.
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by UnabashedIPOB: 12:19am On Apr 24, 2021
lionphil:

It's alright my brother. It's either they give us Biafra or Biafra. Nothing else will do.

Kedu nwanna!

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by zigzagluv: 9:41pm On Apr 26, 2021
who said its for illegal matter, you will just open ur mouth wah , didnt you see where i wrote legit work
9jaRealist:

You lot should quit partaking in illegality... angry
>
Re: Senate Moves To Cut Cement Prices by chrisblack: 10:28pm On Apr 26, 2021
vibbb:
A working govt policy will checkmate production prices across board (Production companies generally) but the question is: Do we have a working govt.?
the government should allow importation of the product. Remember IBETO. He was silenced when he tried to import cement into the country by Dangote .I remembered then he put up a paid advert on why cement should be very cheap and how we are being cheated.
Remember when otedola and dangote had issues over the purchase of Chevron. Even almost collapse share stock of African petroleum.these made otedola angry and threatened to go into the cement business and promised he was going to crash it to a bag for 500-1250 even this was the same price ibeto had claimed previously before dagonte cement silenced him .Until a truce was called for.
Many have said Dangote only trive in monopolistic markets

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osun Election: Voting Disrupted In Ikire (Photos) / Quit Notice On Igbos: What Arewa Youths Should Have Done – Al-mustapha / Shell Facilities Set Ablaze By Gunmen In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.