Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Advice Urgently Needed - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice Urgently Needed (364 Views)

Advice Urgently Needed Please / Legal Advice Urgently Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Urgently Needed by GodgraciousR: 2:41pm On Apr 22, 2021
Good afternoon house. Pls I really need your advice especially from lawyers on this matter. I just rented a 3 bedroom apartment. After paying for the rent including the outrageous agreement and commission fee and repairing the house with over 500 000 naira. I even paid the outstanding power bill of almost 200, 000, which the caretaker said will be deducted from next year rent. This is where my question comes in. I was just informed that the house is up for sale, of which I was not informed before paying and potential buyers have been coming around. When I asked the caretaker and the landlord himself , they both confirmed the house is up for sale . I was to pack in this month ,but the caretaker pleaded with me that I should give him till end of this month to see how things turn out between them and the potential buyers. Pls what do you expect I do now. How do I get back my house rent, money spent in repairing the aparment , The NEPA bill, agent and commission fee and all . Thanks.
Re: Advice Urgently Needed by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 22, 2021
Omo dem done work u oo all these useless landlord n agents. Better go the nearest barracks mobilize sojo everywhere. But wait oo why u dey repai house wey u never pack enter? 700k repairs and outstanding fees. I'm really surprised u haven't bundled them both to guardroom to spend two weeks vacation with hard drillings.
So they didn't know the house was up for sale or sold out before taking ur money? Next is they will tell u to wait for a refund when the potential buyers pay.. Baba na long thing u put urself oo.. For Lagos

1 Like

Re: Advice Urgently Needed by suqexconcepts(m): 4:20pm On Apr 22, 2021
Chai! Omo see gobe oooo.

Lawyers in the house over to you.
Re: Advice Urgently Needed by Stevyne: 11:01pm On Apr 22, 2021
GodgraciousR:
Good afternoon house. Pls I really need your advice especially from lawyers on this matter. I just rented a 3 bedroom apartment. After paying for the rent including the outrageous agreement and commission fee and repairing the house with over 500 000 naira. I even paid the outstanding power bill of almost 200, 000, which the caretaker said will be deducted from next year rent. This is where my question comes in. I was just informed that the house is up for sale, of which I was not informed before paying and potential buyers have been coming around. When I asked the caretaker and the landlord himself , they both confirmed the house is up for sale . I was to pack in this month ,but the caretaker pleaded with me that I should give him till end of this month to see how things turn out between them and the potential buyers. Pls what do you expect I do now. How do I get back my house rent, money spent in repairing the aparment , The NEPA bill, agent and commission fee and all . Thanks.
No need for lawyers!
Just ask them to refund your money to you.
Re: Advice Urgently Needed by CorporateJay(m): 6:47am On Apr 23, 2021
Well there are lots of things involved in this matter.. The first question i will ask you is this, what do you want? Your money back or do you want to stay in the house as planned?

The other question is this, when you were carrying out all the repairs and paying the light bills, did you sign a written agreement with them?, or all you did was verbal agreement?

When you were doing all the repairs and paying the electricity bills, what were they giving you in return?

The truth of the matter is this, they have a right to sell the house, but your right of possesion must be respected.

I.e.. If they get a buyer and sell the house, whoever buys the house will inherit you as a tenant, that person must allow you finish your tenancy before he can take possesion of that house..

So anyone buying the house will also buy your tenancy too.

But to protect yourself, get a lawyer to write a letter to the landlord, (you can use style to accuse them of fraud and breach of agreement)

Then demand a letter of agreement between you and the landlord guaranteeing your right to stay im the house as planned. So whoever is buying the house knows that you are a tenant for so so and so years ,he cannot eject you..

You can also write on your walls in bold letters that "there is a tenant here" so anyone who wants to buy will know you are there..

However you need a formal agreement with your landlord..selah
Re: Advice Urgently Needed by GodgraciousR: 4:03pm On May 02, 2021
No written agreement. For the NEPA bill, The caretaker told me it will be deducted from next year house rent. The repair done in the house was done on my own account and for my own conviniency with the hope that I'll be staying in the apartment for at least 5 years.
Re: Advice Urgently Needed by GodgraciousR: 4:08pm On May 02, 2021
No written agreement. For the NEPA bill, The caretaker told me it will be deducted from next year house rent. The repair done in the house was done on my own account and for my own conviniency with the hope that I'll be staying in the apartment for at least 5 years.
Stevyne:
No need for lawyers!
Just ask them to refund your money to you.

(1) (Reply)

My Building Plan For Two Unit 1 Bedroom Flat And 1 Unit 3 Bedroom Flat / Brand New Three Bedroom Flat For Rent At Oyadiran Estate Sabo Yaba Lagos / 7 Things To Look Out For When Purchasing A Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.