Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire (2062 Views)

Louis Farrakhan Warns, Advises Obama On Libya / Neo Liberals Rejoice As Un Declares War On Libya / Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by Horus(m): 4:25pm On Apr 22, 2011
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00X_PrSICCQ&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

Prof. Molefi Asante on Libya & Cote D'Ivoire

Dr. Molefi Asante is Professor, Department of African American Studies at Temple University. Considered by his peers to be one of the most distinguished contemporary scholars, Asante has published 70 books, among the most recent are Maulana Karenga: An Intellectual Portrait, An Afrocentric Manifesto, Encyclopedia of African Religion, co-edited with Ama Mazama, The History of Africa: The Quest for Eternal Harmony, Cheikh Anta Diop: An Intellectual Portrait, Handbook of Black Studies, co-edited with Maulana Karenga, Encyclopedia of Black Studies, co-edited with Ama Mazama, Race, Rhetoric, and Identity: The Architecton of Soul, Erasing Racism: The Survival of the American Nation, Ancient Egyptian Philosophers, Scattered to the Wind, Custom and Culture of Egypt, and 100 Greatest African Americans. The second edition of his high school text, African American History: Journey of Liberation, 2nd Edition, is used in more than 400 schools throughout North America. The comprehensive Encyclopedia of African Religion, co-edited with Ama Mazama, will be published by Sage Publications in December 2008.
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by cap28: 11:08am On Apr 24, 2011
Horus thanks for posting this very informative lecture by Dr Molefi Asante. Again further confirmation from one of the most astute intellectuals in america on the insidious intentions of britain, france and america towards africa.

Dr Asante raises so many important points, for example the seizing of funds by america from african central banks in yaounde and abuja came as a shock to me, these are very important issues that need to be brought to the attention of african people so that they can see that the intention of europe and america is to keep africa in a perpetual state of subservience and poverty, also the yearly satellite fee that they were charging african nations was another eye opener, i mean there is so much in the professor's speech that forces you to sit up and listen.

thanks again Horus, im going to look for the prof's books.
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by MandingoII(m): 3:32pm On Apr 24, 2011
WOW!!!!

he laid it all out. He is not like them soft a/r/se professors that pervade the American landscape. He broke it down and spoke truth to power.
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by isalegan2: 3:59pm On May 04, 2011
Very informative.  Molefi Asante was someone you heard a lot of in years past.  I understand he had his heydey in the 70s and 80s.  Realy a traiblazer.  This guy is awesome.

Thanks for posting.

cap28:

Horus thanks for posting this very informative lecture by Dr Molefi Asante. Again further confirmation from one of the most astute intellectuals in america on the insidious intentions of britain, france and america towards africa.

Hey, Cap.  How do you compare him with another famous professor of African history, Henry Gates of Harvard?  I actually like him as well, but he doesn't have the "take no prisoners" delivery of Dr. Asante.  Also, from what I've seen of the two men, Gates tend to focus a lot on the sociology/anthropological aspect, while Dr. Asante teaches from a political scientist point of view.

Also, the fact that you don't see people like him in mainstream media just brings home the fact that we have to be vigilant about getting our news from other sources.

Finally, off the top of your head, does any well-known British Black fit the mould of a Dr. Asante?
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by birdman(m): 6:41am On May 06, 2011
Louis Gates is an "I want everybody to like me" type and will always shy away from controversy, even if he has to defer and insult africans instead. Which is funny, because it didnt prevent his harassment by police in his own home. I wouldnt put Asante and Gates in the sentence. I guess I just did, smh
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by cap28: 5:39pm On May 06, 2011
isale_gan2:

Very informative.  Molefi Asante was someone you heard a lot of in years past.  I understand he had his heydey in the 70s and 80s.  Realy a traiblazer.  This guy is awesome.

Thanks for posting.

Hey, Cap.  How do you compare him with another famous professor of African history, Henry Gates of Harvard?  I actually like him as well, but he doesn't have the "take no prisoners" delivery of Dr. Asante.  Also, from what I've seen of the two men, Gates tend to focus a lot on the sociology/anthropological aspect, while Dr. Asante teaches from a political scientist point of view.

Also, the fact that you don't see people like him in mainstream media just brings home the fact that we have to be vigilant about getting our news from other sources.

Finally, off the top of your head, does any well-known British Black fit the mould of a Dr. Asante?

I dont know much about Henry Gates as the only time i got to hear about him was when he had that clash with a police officer outside his home, however I saw a clip of him on a programme about african americans trying to trace their ancestry and it gave me a bit of an insight into his mindset, he claimed in the documentary that his ancestry is irish and african, according to him he went to africa and "couldnt find anything there" so decided to go to Ireland instead to trace his ancestors.  When he got to some remote village in Ireland he started regaling a group of people with stories about a man who he claimed was his great great grandfather - you could tell from the body language of the villagers that they felt awkward and didnt really want to carry on with the interview, i felt embarrassed for him. 

Im also inclined to agree with birdman - i think he is one of these black men who will go along to get along, i m sure he's probably quite an intelligent man but he's not using his intelligence in a positive way, he steers clear of issues which involve criticism of the US - obviously because he wants to hold on to his job at Harvard and his comfortable lifestyle. 

I know that most academics that have views which are critical of US foreign policy are usually kept out of well paid  jobs and instead yes men who will go along with the status quo are the ones who usually get the appointments - I think Henry Gates belongs to that category.

He doesnt seem to be interested in addressing issues that affect blacks and i also heard that he was forever making excuses about racism and how blacks are to blame for their own failings in america because they are not pulling their weight enough, thank god he got that wake up call when a white racist police officer refused to accord him the respect that he felt he deserved as an ivy league professor.

I think he is an apologist for racism in america.

I dont think you can compare him to Dr Molefi Asante, Dr  Asante is a  proud black man who is not afraid to put his head above the parapet and speak the truth about america and its exploitation of african people all around the world, in my opinion Henry Gates is a sell out and not in the same league as Dr Asante.

Here in the UK we do not have any pro black academics of the calibre of Dr Asante, at least none that i know of.  There are a few yes men (like Louis Gates) but they are invisible ie they are not given any media coverage.
The UK is a very racist society, but the racism here can sometimes be very subtle , the few blacks that are in the limelight are yes men and always toe the line.

You'll be suprised to find that the UK is not as liberal as the United States when it comes to freedom of speech, dont get me wrong - you can say whatever you want about the govt in the privacy of your own home or on the internet, however if  too many people start listening to you, you will find yourself coming under the radar of the police, only last week a few anarchists were arrested because they had planned to go out and protest during the royal wedding.  the leader of this organisation was picked up from his home and held in custody until the wedding was over!
Also, prominent pro black groups here in the UK have found themselves victims of police intimidation and many of them have been forced to shut down or go underground.   As you know the current terrorism laws have broadened the definition of "terrorist" so that it now covers almost every type of protest activity against the govt!!

So you can see that the UK merely pays lip service to the ideal of freedom of speech.
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by ADM1(m): 12:14am On May 07, 2011
Excellent speech by Mr. Asante. Cap28, you have to remember, some hold Gates in high regard because he has PhD and teaches at Harvard University. To me, a PhD is just a piece of paper. It does not mean one is smarter than everybody else. There are a lot of intelligent people in the world and they don't have PhDs.
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by MandingoII(m): 4:57pm On May 07, 2011
Here in the UK we do not have any pro black academics of the calibre of Dr Asante, at least none that i know of. There are a few yes men (like Louis Gates) but they are invisible ie they are not given any media coverage.
The UK is a very racist society, but the racism here can sometimes be very subtle , the few blacks that are in the limelight are yes men and always toe the line.

You'll be suprised to find that the UK is not as liberal as the United States when it comes to freedom of speech, dont get me wrong - you can say whatever you want about the govt in the privacy of your own home or on the internet, however if too many people start listening to you, you will find yourself coming under the radar of the police, only last week a few anarchists were arrested because they had planned to go out and protest during the royal wedding. the leader of this organisation was picked up from his home and held in custody until the wedding was over!
Also, prominent pro black groups here in the UK have found themselves victims of police intimidation and many of them have been forced to shut down or go underground. As you know the current terrorism laws have broadened the definition of "terrorist" so that it now covers almost every type of protest activity against the govt!!

So you can see that the UK merely pays lip service to the ideal of freedom of speech.

By YOUR OWN WORDS, you need to turn your anger and vitorol towards the U.K. and not (exclusively) America. At least here we can congregate and get a permit to PROTEST and reject the Far Right and Liberal ideas, even though it may not get any media coverage.

UK is worse.

Hell, ya'll don't even have black politicians
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by cap28: 5:28pm On May 07, 2011
^^^

we can also congregate and protest - but many of these type of organisations find themselves placed under police surveillance when they become too vocal or influential, just like yours are too - dont forget COINTELPRO.

We do have black politicians but they are ineffectual and have almost no influence on govt policy, much like your own black caucus in america, dont forget you have a black president who serves the interests of wall street not black america.

Blacks in the UK make up only 5% of the population - over there you guys are 13% and still its difficult for you to get your voices heard.

Also ive come across a few african americans who've left america permanently to come live in europe ( and i dont mean the ones in the military either) - i wonder why?
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by cap28: 5:56pm On May 07, 2011
A.D.M.:

Excellent speech by Mr. Asante. Cap28, you have to remember, some hold Gates in high regard because he has PhD and teaches at Harvard University. To me, a PhD is just a piece of paper. It does not mean one is smarter than everybody else. There are a lot of intelligent people in the world and they don't have PhDs.

I agree ADM.
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by MandingoII(m): 8:14pm On May 07, 2011
Also ive come across a few african americans who've left america permanently to come live in europe ( and i dont mean the ones in the military either) - i wonder why?

Black soldiers during WWI &WWII came home and told about how well they were treated by Europeans especially the French.

some of these soldiers were LYNCHED for being to uppity and knowing their place.

today instead of lynching, they are arresting and not employing blacks they deem have "a chip on their shoulder"

s/h/i/t/s the same just redirected.

Also, white people want you to RECOGNIZE them. When u don't they get angry. I walk past them all the time like I don't see them.

and i really don't. They do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me.

Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by isalegan2: 8:14pm On May 24, 2011
cap28:

Here in the UK we do not have any pro black academics of the calibre of Dr Asante, at least none that i know of.  There are a few yes men (like Louis Gates) but they are invisible ie they are not given any media coverage.

You'll be suprised to find that the UK is not as liberal as the United States when it comes to freedom of speech, dont get me wrong - you can say whatever you want about the govt in the privacy of your own home or on the internet, however if  too many people start listening to you, you will find yourself coming under the radar of the police, only last week a few anarchists were arrested because they had planned to go out and protest during the royal wedding.  the leader of this organisation was picked up from his home and held in custody until the wedding was over!
Also, prominent pro black groups here in the UK have found themselves victims of police intimidation and many of them have been forced to shut down or go underground.   As you know the current terrorism laws have broadened the definition of "terrorist" so that it now covers almost every type of protest activity against the govt!!

hmmm.  Well, I can't argue which country, UK or USA, has less freedom of speech.  I don't have all my supporting data in hand. And I know how you debate. lol.  But I remember distinctly, watching CSPAN and seeing a brute of a neonazi looking police officer physically restrain an old women from even gesticulating during a Washington DC peaceful gathering.  A small gathering was all they were allowed because the Bush government had imposed a ban against demonstrations days before W dropped bombs on one of Afghanistan (2001) or Iraq (2003).

If you would, please watch the videos below.  The speaker sounds British, though the accent is mild - either because he is really an American who has been in England long, or a Brit who lost his accent while learning Naton of Islam doctrine here in the USA.  I was impressed by him, to be honest (though I don't agree with all NOI views).  Now, there's a British Black who speaks up fearlessly.  But we both know that NOI are marginalised no matter where they are, so I doubt someone like that would ever get much publicity.  Anyway, their views may also be too radical for most Brits. 

[flash=380,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgWzzFOAFg&NR=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgWzzFOAFg&NR=1

[flash=380,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P65V_ZMciyU&NR=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P65V_ZMciyU&NR=1

[flash=380,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqEwAsUKawo&NR=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqEwAsUKawo&NR=1

One more thing, I created a Politics section thread about great speeches in African and Black history, and would like you to contribute any important/groundbreaking/memorable speeches you can think of. smiley Grazie!
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by cap28: 1:35am On Jun 01, 2011
Isale gan - where did you get this clip from? lol grin

Yes this is Leo Muhammed he's actually a very talented individual - he's a stand up comedian and used to appear on mainstream british tv but not so much now that he is a member of the nation of islam - I have a lot of respect for this brother, he's originally from Jamaica but came here as a child .   He's a very intelligent and articulate guy who overcame a lot of obstacles to get to where he is in life - i really respect him- I am not very conversant with the teachings of the Hon Elijah Muhammed but i do agree with a lot of their views in relation to racial issues and i admire and respect Louis Farrakhan, here is a clip of Leo Muhammed talking about his life:

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGrDLJS67o&feature/related[/flash]

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ1jxnwD3jQ&NR/1[/flash]

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yXAVodlZVk&feature/related[/flash]

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1mkU0ET0s&feature/related[/flash]

and yes the NOI is definitely marginalised here in the UK, Louis Farrakhan is STILL banned from coming here to speak!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1959105.stm
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by cap28: 1:49am On Jun 01, 2011
the british police state continues to harass and intimidate the NOI in the UK:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwL_bjuqFLA&NR/1[/flash]
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by isalegan2: 7:29pm On Jun 05, 2011
Thanks, Cap.  I watched the videos and read the BBC archive. Muhammad definitely is one man who speaks truth to power.  Don't forget to checkout my 2 threads about Great Speeches, and Great Leaders in precolonial Africa.  smiley
Re: Prof. Molefi Asante On Libya & Cote D'ivoire by isalegan2: 3:36am On Jun 22, 2011
Cap, this is the best one yet.  Everyone should watch cos it applies to all Africans, never mind that the message is coming from a NOI member. 

Ignorance: Our Number One Problem
[flash=420,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKo9Io-bDs&NR=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKo9Io-bDs&NR=1

Viewer discretion is advised for this one, due to some disturbing lynching images:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyggYclNra4&NR=1

(1) (Reply)

In Year 2000 CNN Called The Election For Al Gore And We All Know How That Went / How The Vatican Helped Obama, China & Leonardo Spa to Steal US Election / Trump Officially Restores Cold War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.