Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,039 members, 7,863,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 01:34 AM

Nationality: Odemwingie Explains Reason For Choosing Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nationality: Odemwingie Explains Reason For Choosing Nigeria (652 Views)

Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie / Official: Siasia Leaves Odemwingie Out Of Argentina Match (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nationality: Odemwingie Explains Reason For Choosing Nigeria by ccfr9ja(m): 7:47am On Apr 23, 2011
AS Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia cris-crosses the entire Europe scouting for young Nigerian-born players for the team, Eagles forward Osaze Odemwingie has said even though he was born outside the country, playing for Nigeria was not negotiable.

In an interview with[b] fifa.com[/b], the West Brom player said he had no other option other than Nigeria because his father would not have permitted him playing for either Uzbekistan, his birth place or Russia, his mother’s country.

“My mum was open to me playing for any country and I would probably have been fine playing for Uzbekistan or Russia (but) for dad, it wasn’t even a question,”he said, adding that he has never regretted the decision to play for Nigeria.

Once described as one of the two most patriotic and respectful Eagles players by Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State, Odemwingie said that he has an inner joy each time he stars for the country because of his love for the games.

“Playing for Nigeria puts a smile on my face and I feel very happy and proud every time I put on that shirt. Because I love football so much, I also think the passion Nigeria has for football and their style of play really suits me very well. I’ve had some great memories with the Super Eagles, he told fifa.com.

On the Africa Nations Cup qualifiers, the fair-skinned player said alluded to Guinea’s leadership of the group which he insinuated might because the Eagles have not achieved 100 per cent of the potential, stressing that he was optimistic Guinea will fall in Abuja when they meet.

“Although Guinea are top of the group at the moment, we still have to play them at home. I think that’s a big factor in our favour and I’m sure we’ll get the results we need,” he said, stressing that the Eagles would qualify.

On his rant against Siasia, the former Locomotiv Moscow player said he was, at the time, only pouring out his frustration occasioned by the negative thoughts some people had about his withdrawal from the friendly match against Kenya.

“I poured out my frustration a bit but it wasn’t meant as an attack on the coach and I have apologised if it was taken that way,” he said, stressing, I was upset at the time because I felt that people didn’t understand why I had pulled out of a friendly match when I was struggling with an injury. But everything’s resolved now and we’ve both moved on.”

(1) (Reply)

Help-heysoftware / Nigeria Name Squad For Ghana Friendly / Red Card To Siasia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.