Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Nigeria Jaga Jaga Vol2 Review: Should We Be Worried? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigeria Jaga Jaga Vol2 Review: Should We Be Worried? (159 Views)

‘nigeria Jaga Jaga’ Hit Maker,eedris Abdulkareem Battles With Kidney Failure / I’d Be Worried If Men Don’t Make Passes At Me - Uche Elendu / Jaga: "Shan George, My Mother Is Too Smart For Any Man'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Jaga Jaga Vol2 Review: Should We Be Worried? by marveangel(m): 11:54am On Apr 28, 2021
In 2004, Eedris Abdulkareem released the hit song "Jaga Jaga", (Jaga jaga is a Nigerian slang I think of Yoruba or should I say Lagos origin which means -shambles, scattered, disordly,- you get the point) the song was obviously pointing the flashlight on corruption and suffering in Nigeria( if only we knew what suffering was back then, *POINTER- A liter of petrol had climbed from 40 to 65 and Nigerians were vexed it was like the world would end- if only ) biko how much is a liter in your area today

But I'm not here to conjure memories so let get on to the issue of the day- Jaga Jaga Reloaded featuring Raw and Madarocka( first time hearing of her), I only downloaded Eedris jaga jaga reloaded last night so forgive me if my review is coming late and God is my witness the only reason I downloaded the song is cos of my love for the original version so I was expecting the same amount of energy and defiant vibe from 2004- my mistake really because I was a little disappointed.

Don't get me wrong Eedris did a decent job talking about the unending challenges and almost comical leadership style this great country is been plunged into (well as much as one can fit into 3-4 minutes song).

I feel like the initial song had more energy and much more passion, Eedris was about making his feelings known with almost no iota of care about commercial acceptance of the song but this time, although he did make his feelings know but it didn't carry the same rage and passion as the original song (or maybe just maybe he would have thought at least I don't want this one to get banned too or DSS discovering millions in my cupboard- you never know these days).

Did Raw insinuate letting "my people go " in his lyrics or did he mean something else with that line? Not to rain on their parade but do these guys really think changing name automatically means changed personality. The same vile leaders that couldn't or wouldn't fix any single road in the south east (his words not mine) would still be parts and parcel of the Biafra, how would the result be any different? anyways I'm watching iñ 3D.

I also felt his voice was beneath the beat in his first line, I've never like that in any music. ( then again it's 2021 and the Nigerian music had evolved into more of beats and less of lyrics apart from a few that still have good lyrics)

I don't know how I feel about Madarocka's lines though, it almost left like a new song entirely it as though Eedris and Raw part was by Nigerians and her part was like a foreigner who having listened to the first two guys lament about their misfortune felt sorry for them and the pathetic state of their country. she was basically just commenting ... it's not that her lines were weak just the accent threw me off, it's weird singing about Nigeria Jaga Jaga with African-American accent, it didn't feel Nigerian- sorry, my bad (in my defense I've always found it comical when anyone speaks pidgin with American accent talk more of singing )

Jaga Jaga Vol2 didn't carry as much punch as the previous song or maybe I had too much expectation to begin with but the message however still was very clear, Nigeria is in a mess. (it is not unpatriotic to state the obvious) but what I find most insulting is the fact that 17 years after the original song it seems like the country's "Jaga Jaga" state of 2004 is pure bliss compared to what we have now. Honestly does anyone think Nigeria is better off now in 2021 that it was in 2004.

The same tired old faces ruling(or should I say ruining) and mortgaging our futures whilst we sit and lament endlessly. Two decades ago I was still a young champ in junior secondary school things weren't perfect but these two now things I was sure of (1) where my next meal will come and (2) roof over my head. Fast forward 17 years I'm a graduate now I have a job( of course it's not the kinda job I wish I had otherwise why would I be writing a review on this blog that no one might get to read- abeg free me) I am not guaranteed of my next meal even if I had the meal it was most times not what I'd really want to eat also I secretly cuss my landlord each time I transfer him rent and the worse is my salary. God! I don't know how to explain this but something happens to my salary( you know that song; zoom by cheque- "when they try to hold me I go zoom zoom zoom" that is exactly what happens to it). 17 good years and the only change has been switching from getting whipped with UMBRELLA to getting mercilessly flogged like the village thief by the BROOM. we are still trapped in the same vicious cycle of poverty, corruption and cluelessness.

Whatever happened to Festus keyamo? In 2004 this man was a hero of some sought everybody loved him, he was "fighting the system"- a human right activist, Today is almost impossible to believe he is the same man. Was it all a lie a long game to attain political recognition or was he simply overwhelmed by the system. I think the later- don't get me wrong I know over 95% of our politicians are there for their selfish interest but I feel like some actually went in their thinking they can effect some change, believing they can do things differently but just like the matrix they get into the system and get lost, I mean look at Adams Oshiomhole do you remember how effective the Nigerian labour Congress was during his term as leader but see what he turned into once we got into politics full time, also consider the case of our friendly neighbourhood bridge builder Desmond Elliot, he was....he is....whatever I really don't know but if twitter is to be believed he is to blame for everything happening in Lagos even my landlord's wife having an affair with the caretaker - I blame Desmond sha.

Desmond! A story for another day maybe but back to the song review so this song might not have as much energy as the original one (my personal opinion) but it's still a very decent song and I loved the Eedris and Raw collaboration don't think I've heard them both on any song before now. My verdict- It's a good song to download and listen and while you are at it download the first version too( that's if for some reason you don't have it- shame on you btw), I'm not posting any link to download any of the songs- ask Google abeg. also I'm not even sure I know how to do that sef- it's really not my fault, I blame Desmond Elliot... But before you run off close your eyes and lest pray it's very important, even if you don't do anything else I tell you, do this , you have to pray that 15, 17 or 20 years from now there won't be any need for Jaga Jaga Vol 3(Revolution) otherwise we have all failed the next generation...and I don't think we can blame Desmond for that.

(1) (Reply)

'Don't Try To Change Somebody; You'll Be Stressed For Life' - AFRO JC Cautions / New Week New Look / Super Eagles To Travel By Boat To Cameroon For 2021 AFCON !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.