Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites (35312 Views)

Ikeja Installs New Monarch, Begins Traditional Rites For 9-Year Empty Palace / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife Undergoing Rites To Be Queen. Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 29, 2021
The usage of palmwines given to brides by their fathers/guardians to go give their husbands as an indication that he’s the one she’s getting married to dates to thousands of years ago. The bride is being handed a traditionally crafted cup, Calabash cup or glass cup filled with palmwine and, as she arises from her kneeling position, she then carries the wine, walks around stylishly while in search of her man. Then, when she spots where he’s seated, she kneels before him, sips from the drink, hands the remaining to her man, who then finishes the drink and afterwards puts some cash into the cup. Together, he and his wife walk towards her father, they both kneel to hand over the cup carrying the cash to him and he blesses their union.

In the advent of the 21st century, the usage of palmwines during traditional weddings began to take the back seat. Couples barely use palmwines and when they are eventually handed a cup of it, they suspect it diabolic. As soon as the bride gives her husband the wine cup, he pretends to drink the palmwine and stylishly pours the drink away; doing it in such a way that no one would readily notice. Some cultures in Nigeria permit this while some others don’t. And, if you were to ask the couple why they did what they did, the response will most likely be “I dey fear village people wahala”.

For some couples, they prefer to use the wine they came with in order to avoid “stories that touch”. Overtime, there have been cases where a groom drinks palmwine given to him by his bride and, he either starts having stomach upset that leads to a dangerous ailment or, he dies. This became rampant for a very long time and, it was so scary. But, in order not to offend the cultures of the community they hail from, they then opt to use other kinds of drinks like juice, fruit wine and alcoholic wine. What’s important to them is that they obeyed traditional laws and customs but, they played safe.

Recently, brides have now began to ditch the traditional palmwine thing and go ahead to do what they want. Some have had sour experiences in times past and, they don’t want a repeat of it hence, their new stance. Cultures these days are gradually begin to adjust and adapt to this new era of replacing palmwine with any wine of choice, as long as the inherent traditional rites are obeyed. But, some cultures still insist on the usage of the traditional palmwine because, to them, the usage of any other drink apart from what they know is an insult to their long-time beliefs and traditions. They, sometimes, cause chaos in cases where the couple don’t want to agree to their demands and, this leaves both parties utterly confused and distorted. In most cases, the marriage ends there and then. What they fail to realise is that they’re causing more harm than good for the intending couples and, its gradually eating into recent culture adaptations. Some couples, in order to save time and avoid having unnecessary quarrels with the family kindred, they just go ahead and do the bidding of the family elders.

Couples should be allowed to use any drink of their choice for their traditional wedding; as long as the customary traditional rites are being observed. No one has a monopoly of what should be done during weddings and, the couple’s opinions have to be respected since they’re the ones getting married. At this point in their lives, they need all the support they can garner from their families and not unnecessary bickering back and forth. If they’re cool with using the traditional palmwine, good! But, if they aren’t, let them be allowed to use their choice drink. The most important thing is that the wedding should happen.

Source: https://flipmemes.com/2021/04/19/the-gradual-phasing-out-of-the-use-of-palm-wine-for-traditional-wedding-rites-cultural-decadence-or-civilisation/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by donbachi(m): 8:16am On Apr 29, 2021
My greatgrand father used it,the one before him,used it.the one after him,used it.my father used it and i used it...my kids must use it..no be for their hands e go change.na e make many marriages no dey work,palm wine get e own blessing,and dem carry other man made drinks replace am..dem for also stop to dey cook for traditional weddings or the collection of dowry...yet,the marriage list no dey change.

121 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 29, 2021
Overtime, there have been cases where a groom drinks palmwine given to him by his bride and, he either starts having stomach upset that leads to a dangerous ailment or, he dies.

Scandalous!

I guess the above only happens in those 5th grade "nollyvoodoo" movies, right?

Bar somebody playing tricks on the palmwine(by poisoning it or something), I don't see how a man born of a real man would succumb to or develop stomach upset from drinking a harmless cup of the Sap.

If that were to happen to a son of mine{although, I am never having any}, I would disown him and then proceed to question his mother thoroughly.

Holy ajara remains the purest of all African saps.

I rise!

Court clerk, do the needful.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Armaggedon: 8:43am On Apr 29, 2021
You should know some people enjoy deviance simply for the fun of it. non adherence to tradition is the major cause of marital crisis of this age, such as domestic violence and separation. Instead of not carrying palmwine because everyone in your community is evil and you're the only righteous one, do a low key one with only family around. It's so important. Non alcoholic drinks have no business with spiritual matters. Traditional wedding is called Igbankwu/ Ibunkwu Which means "palmwine carrying"
I have never attended a ceremony where palmwine wasn't used though.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Promades62: 12:32pm On Apr 29, 2021
Okay

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 29, 2021
cheesy
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by mbahdi(m): 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
All wine na wine
But the one wey sure pass na ogogoro.
Imagine using ogogoro dat day and your wife come dance pass u for like play like play she come begin comot cloth join

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by TalkTalkTwins(m): 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
Everyone is free to make his/her choice, but I'm not drinking that palm wine o

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13465012_images105_jpeg65707f835dbf186f9a544c2cbc4378f3

3 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by ArewaNightmare: 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
ARU!!!!!!!! pure sacrilege that's why they're fighting hard to embrace white wedding and rubbish our tradition

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Frenzyboy(m): 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
Wetin concern me?...Just that buhari is still an idiot

18 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by helinues: 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
Mtcheeeew, even Irunmoles are now rejecting sacrifice food..

Give them indomie or shawarma... grin

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by DennisEche(m): 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
i Used it

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Niftyrules(m): 12:34pm On Apr 29, 2021
Lolllllllllll
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Sharpquality233: 12:34pm On Apr 29, 2021
Really
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 29, 2021
Op, where and when did all the stomach upsets and death from drinking palmwine happen to the groom? I'm hearing this for the first time.

You prolly saw all that in the movies.

In my place, the culture is still very much in practice and no body has ever experienced stomach upset or died from it.

20 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Kizyte(m): 12:34pm On Apr 29, 2021
Palm wine or nothing!
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Blackfire(m): 12:35pm On Apr 29, 2021
Try that rubbish in my village , and watch alusi okija scatter your marriage

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 29, 2021
why phase out our culture?

that is the colonialism of the mind

Western things are okay but Nigerian things aren't
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Seniorwriter(m): 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
A nice indigenous drink....
This is great drink with a sizeable alcohol in it.
Though till date it's yet industrialized by anyone or company.

As per been used I think it still grazes functions like burials and weddings in the hinterlands.

Sometime back then in Ibadan whilst trying to setup my Consumables network of supplies I was shown a nice palmwine joint around Hope area after gbagi by a local which I never failed to visit once a week for a drink and meat treat.
Till date I still have the whole experience in my thoughts because though the place was locally built but the intrigue and merry activities where something to behold even when you are done with your own drink and you fail to cover up your cup someone will order for you... cheesy
It was like a tradition....Lolz

@Seniorwriter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by MP3GAGAdotCOM(f): 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
So true,
in my town, palm wine is very costly. grin grin
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Mindlog: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
True but majorly attributed to ama ndi ana eze and umunna ndi ojoo. angry

Igbo traditional weddings are now comfortably being held in Lagos. One held earlier in the year in Lagos, the groom insisted he ain't taking no palm wine he is a born again and his Church detest such fetish ritual and after much argument, his bride finally presented him orange juice! cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by topboss1: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
THIS YORUBA WEBSITE WILL NOT LEAVE IGBO PEOPLE PRACTICE ALONE.

THEY WILL JUST BE POSTING RUBBISH TO DECIEVE YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE MINDS.

A MERE STINKING WEB PAGE, I DONT KNOW WAT EFFECT U THINK U CAN POSSBILY HAVE ON OUR AGE LONG TRADITION.

STOP POSTING CRAP ON FP.

PALMWINE AND TRADITIONAL WEDDING ARE LIKE 5 AND 6.

6 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
It's good to uphold tradition, as long as it makes you happy.

If you had any unanswered question about life, pm me.
If you will love to aid the dissemination of truth, pm me also, or check my profile for details

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by rawtouch: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021

the number of people using other drinks is negligible and this happens in the towns not in the rural settings
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by GreenWire(m): 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
level don change.. life has change.. couples dont kiss in their wedding again
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by flyca: 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
Many Lagos Igbos now do traditional marriages in Lagos sef. All join.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians In Ireland Celebrate Yoruba Culture With Colourful Fabrics (Pictures) / Akpaala Okwu (idioms). / Abdulrasheed Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwoland 'Stopped Rain' From Falling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.