Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,104 members, 7,957,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:32 AM

The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites (35565 Views)

Ikeja Installs New Monarch, Begins Traditional Rites For 9-Year Empty Palace / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife Undergoing Rites To Be Queen. Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by lastburn(m): 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
Rubbish talk! You don't have to drink the palm wine infact people advice you not to drink it including your wife to be.

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Cutecharlz(m): 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
To avoid story that touches the heart, I pretended to have drank the palmwine mean while I use left hand pour the thing for ground... put money inside the empty cup and headed for blessings with my loving wife... this world is wicked.

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Mutemenot(m): 12:38pm On Apr 29, 2021
N.a. all dis fake religious people dey try use other drinks in the name of say palmwine na Alcohol... In my tradition, palmwine is a compulsory for a marriage rite to take place

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Akharmony: 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2021
Old things shall pass away, behold it shall become new..We are in the era of new wine in a new wine skin.. Let the wineskin aleast b rebranded

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by jospepper(m): 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2021
In the good old days when evil was not rampant this tradition was great.
Nowadays people are wary because many destinies have been destroyed by some of these traditions.

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by topboss1: 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2021
PALMWINE IS SO RELEVANT THAT EVEN THE CAKE IS PALMWINE DESIGN.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2021
donbachi:
My greatgrand father used it,the one before him,used it.the one after him,used it.my father used it and i used it...my kids must use it..no be for their hands e go change.na e make many marriages no dey work,palm wine get e own blessing,and dem carry other man made drinks replace am..dem for also stop to dey cook for traditional weddings or the collection of dowry...yet,the marriage list no dey change.

Our ancestors were hunters...

So you must hunt grin

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by jacoik(m): 12:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
donbachi:
My greatgrand father used it,the one before him,used it.the one after him,used it.my father used it and i used it...my kids must use it..no be for their hands e go change.na e make many marriages no dey work,palm wine get e own blessing,and dem carry other man made drinks replace am..dem for also stop to dey cook for traditional weddings or the collection of dowry...yet,the marriage list no dey change.
don't mind them
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Heavensent01(m): 12:48pm On Apr 29, 2021
I use malt during my own, my SIL quickly declined palm wine before they poison person pikin

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Zionman24: 12:48pm On Apr 29, 2021
And you wonder why so many marriages are failing.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by AfonjaConehead: 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2021
By fire by force. grin

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by jacoik(m): 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2021
Armaggedon:
You should know some people enjoy deviance simply for the fun of it. non adherence to tradition is the major cause of marital crisis of this age, such as domestic violence and separation. Instead of not carrying palmwine because everyone in your community is evil and you're the only righteous one, do a low key one with only family around. It's so important. Non alcoholic drinks have no business with spiritual matters.
you will live long bro. may our ancestors bless you more

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by aikyg(m): 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
This is not true! Less than 5% of Igbos in Lagos engage in this practice. About 2% if we are being generous.
flyca:
Many Lagos Igbos now do traditional marriages in Lagos sef. All join.

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by brownemmanuel43(m): 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Its in my blood and non of my kids will change it no matter what.
This has being my culture and identity, I dont understand this new generation

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by SweetDipBenny(m): 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Fvck all dis traditional bullshit
I hate it

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by donbachi(m): 12:54pm On Apr 29, 2021
BuddhaPalm:

Our ancestors were hunters...

So you must hunt grin
stop every other things also.like father's things,mother's things,umunna and youth's things.knocking of door and drinking buying.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by onuman: 12:54pm On Apr 29, 2021
donbachi:

There are people who don’t like Palm wine. They make do with other wines.

Don’t mind the op with the long story.

Perhaps, one out of 10,000 traditional marriage ceremonies in his village was where groom suspected poison and refused to drink from his bride.

2 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
Many things are phasing out in the country already...

This is just one of 'em and not strange to me.

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by WibusJaga: 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
Many don't trust Village people these days.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by BabaIbo: 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2021
People around me pretended to have taken it and they poured it on the ground.

I won't be an exception biko, life is too precious to lose it over a cup of wine.

3 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by MPESA(m): 1:05pm On Apr 29, 2021
Blackfire:
Try that rubbish in my village , and watch alusi okija scatter your marriage

Are you from Okija?
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by letu(m): 1:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Scandalous!

I guess the above only happens in those 5th grade "nollyvoodoo" movies, right?

Bar somebody playing tricks on the palmwine(by poisoning it or something), I don't see how a man born of a real man would succumb to or develop stomach upset from drinking a harmless cup of the Sap.

If that were to happen to a son of mine{although, I am never having any}, I would disown him and then proceed to question his mother thoroughly.

Holy ajara remains the purest of all African saps.

I rise!

Court clerk, do the needful.
there is something/some people that should be avoided, a situation of amandi ana eze(because you don't know who your enemy is or who the wicked person is, he or she can be your best Uncle/Aunt or your friends/family friend .
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by naikeboy(m): 1:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
nonsense the only true and natural wine is diabolic... palm wine is a gift of nature and most be used... this Colonia mentality of any thing African is diabolic has to stop... the refined wine or juice they are using that is man made is it not daibolic too....
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by MPESA(m): 1:08pm On Apr 29, 2021
aikyg:
This is not true! Less than 5% of Igbos in Lagos engage in this practice. About 2% if we are being generous.

5% is too much... It's probably one in a million...

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by hollywater: 1:13pm On Apr 29, 2021
Na evil people make us dey fear palm wine because of the exposure. I use Malte even if I didn't like it. But I have to use it.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by superCleanworks(m): 1:13pm On Apr 29, 2021
Why would you take palmwine from your own wife's hand... on your own wedding day... on the same sand where you stand with your father inlaw inlaw & elders... Then you pour it to the ground.?

I rather not marry from that home if i would have to be scared like a little b!tch & pretend to drink the palmy and pour it. That is a coward act. God forbid.

I would drink to the last drop like a man and let it be known that my inlaws killed me like cowards.

3 Likes

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by observanc1: 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2021
AsherAmari:
Op, where and when did all the stomach upsets and death from drinking palmwine happen to the groom? I'm hearing this for the first time.

You prolly saw all that in the movies.

In my place, the culture is still very much in practice and no body has ever experienced stomach upset or died from it.
Dont mind d Op

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by sylve11: 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2021
If nor be palm wine, wetin we gain? cool

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by bigtt76(f): 1:17pm On Apr 29, 2021
Couples that will be forming holy holy and after wedding be doing doggy cheesy

I've never seen any bride that would offer her groom a cup of vodka or stout sef wink

binarymachine:

Source: https://flipmemes.com/2021/04/19/the-gradual-phasing-out-of-the-use-of-palm-wine-for-traditional-wedding-rites-cultural-decadence-or-civilisation/
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by superCleanworks(m): 1:17pm On Apr 29, 2021
sylve11:
If nor be palm wine, wetin we gain? cool

Bros i mad for the kind of chicken hearted guys on this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It / Nigerians In Ireland Celebrate Yoruba Culture With Colourful Fabrics (Pictures) / The Famous Mkpokiti Dance In Anambra (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.