Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,970 members, 7,956,627 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:47 PM

The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites (35561 Views)

Ikeja Installs New Monarch, Begins Traditional Rites For 9-Year Empty Palace / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife Undergoing Rites To Be Queen. Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by caesymore(m): 1:24pm On Apr 29, 2021
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by SavageMaster: 1:27pm On Apr 29, 2021
donbachi:
My greatgrand father used it,the one before him,used it.the one after him,used it.my father used it and i used it...my kids must use it..no be for their hands e go change.na e make many marriages no dey work,palm wine get e own blessing,and dem carry other man made drinks replace am..dem for also stop to dey cook for traditional weddings or the collection of dowry...yet,the marriage list no dey change.

It will shock you when your children will say they won't use palm wine. It's their choice to make, Sir, just as you made yours.

If someone has legitimate concerns as to why he doesn't want to use palm wine, I think it's the couple's choice and should be respected.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Falconx47: 1:34pm On Apr 29, 2021
The choice of what wine to use at your wedding is yours to make, same as the wedding itself...it's not mandatory.

Is sugary artificial drinks and wine immune from adulteration, poison, jazz or village people...or whatever makes the people avoid the palm wine tradition?

Ignorance is the bane of many.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Blackfire(m): 1:44pm On Apr 29, 2021
MPESA:

Are you from Okija?

yes and No
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by AKWATGOLD1(m): 1:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
I am deeply sorry for our cultures in this country.

Nigeria cultures is going on extinction. just like dinosaur.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by MPESA(m): 1:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Blackfire:

yes and No

How ?
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by dljbd1(m): 1:58pm On Apr 29, 2021
Me enjoyed the palmy sef.... cheesy
If I have another opportunity to marry my wife again we go use palmy and I go drink am wella. grin
Maybe we will be drinking it on our anniversary going forward!!!

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by angelfallz(m): 2:15pm On Apr 29, 2021
its best to bring your own palmwine. I have heard stories about poisoning, but it can't just be limited to palmwine. So, it is best to bring your own palmwine.

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by angelfallz(m): 2:19pm On Apr 29, 2021
The best comment so far.
Falconx47:
The choice of what wine to use at your wedding is yours to make, same as the wedding itself...it's not mandatory.

Is sugary artificial drinks and wine immune from adulteration, poison, jazz or village people...or whatever makes the people avoid the palm wine tradition?

Ignorance is the bane of many.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Depressed101: 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Scandalous!

I guess the above only happens in those 5th grade "nollyvoodoo" movies, right?

Bar somebody playing tricks on the palmwine(by poisoning it or something), I don't see how a man born of a [b]real man would succumb to or develop stomach upset from drinking a harmless cup of the Sap.
[/b]
If that were to happen to a son of mine{although, I am never having any}, I would disown him and then proceed to question his mother thoroughly.

Holy ajara remains the purest of all African saps.

I rise!

Court clerk, do the needful.
you don't see, because you haven't seen, doesn't mean it doesnt happen, although it can happen with order drinks, cases like that are not peculiar with palm wine alone..
Take the case of THE purported 50 young people who died from eating at a birthday party somewhere in Lagos.. It happens

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by gnykelly(m): 2:35pm On Apr 29, 2021
donbachi:
My greatgrand father used it,the one before him,used it.the one after him,used it.my father used it and i used it...my kids must use it..no be for their hands e go change.na e make many marriages no dey work,palm wine get e own blessing,and dem carry other man made drinks replace am..dem for also stop to dey cook for traditional weddings or the collection of dowry...yet,the marriage list no dey change.

was your wife a virgin before marriage
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Johnsonmorire(f): 2:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
Culture shouldn't be eradicated. Palmwine all the way!

I will make a professional oil painting of any picture for 3k. Plus free photo manipulation services. Frames available. Charges not included.
All paintings are top notch.

Contact johnsonmorire@gmail.com or https://+2348132477268
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by AmazonTopaz(f): 2:55pm On Apr 29, 2021
gnykelly:

was your wife a virgin before marriage
How that one take concern you.

Amebo
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by SavageResponse(m): 3:07pm On Apr 29, 2021
I have never in my life seen where orange juice was used in place of palm wine in a traditional ceremony
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by noisy45(m): 3:14pm On Apr 29, 2021
Who no dey fear poison
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by meobizy(f): 3:38pm On Apr 29, 2021
See ugly brides. Goddamn. Whether na palm wine, scotch or whiskey, something must go down on the day. I can’t come and kill myself on the happiest day of my life.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Ghedo99(m): 4:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
Where i come from, it isn't a do or die affair.. but if u refuse to take the wine, u would surely pay a hefty fee/fine.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Pharaoh4rin(m): 4:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
Somebody initiated palm wine tradition in d past centuries. We're in a new era. Why can't we, in this our generation, initiate one?

Look at what internet is doing for us for example.

Some of those traditions are obsolete and never helped us. Our grand and great grandfather's only succeeded in establishing some wicked traditions instead of using their wisdom for technology or something.

I ain't practising or observing any tradition. That's that.
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by femi4: 5:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
Johnsonmorire:
Culture shouldn't be eradicated. Palmwine all the way!

I will make a professional oil painting of any picture for 3k. Plus free photo manipulation services. Frames available. Charges not included.
All paintings are top notch.

Contact johnsonmorire@gmail.com or https://+2348132477268
The use of palm wine was as a result of no alternative back then. We have superior and better wines today, hence the dynamic change. After all, culture is not static.

Traditions can be improve upon as time changes. Even Kings now ride in Rolls Royce instead of horses
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by ofiko123(m): 5:03pm On Apr 29, 2021
Tradition...I doubt if it would still be used...
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Durklil: 5:27pm On Apr 29, 2021
Now wines
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Johnsonmorire(f): 5:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
femi4:
The use of palm wine was as a result of no alternative back then. We have superior and better wines today, hence the dynamic change. After all, culture is not static.

Traditions can be improve upon as time changes. Even Kings now ride in Rolls Royce instead of horses

What is meant to be should be!
You cannot say palmwine was used because there is no alternative.

Can Eagle aromatic schnapps be replaced with wine and other assorted drinks we have today? No!

Every one of them have a significant role they play in culture.
My view!
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by femi4: 6:10pm On Apr 29, 2021
Johnsonmorire:

What is meant to be should be!
You cannot say palmwine was used because there is no alternative.

Can Eagle aromatic schnapps be replaced with wine and other assorted drinks we have today? No!

Every one of them have a significant role they play in culture.
My view!
Go back to history and research on why some items were chosen cos of what they represent and others were chosen cos of no better alternative
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by nnadychuks(m): 7:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Scandalous!

I guess the above only happens in those 5th grade "nollyvoodoo" movies, right?

Bar somebody playing tricks on the palmwine(by poisoning it or something), I don't see how a man born of a real man would succumb to or develop stomach upset from drinking a harmless cup of the Sap.

If that were to happen to a son of mine{although, I am never having any}, I would disown him and then proceed to question his mother thoroughly.

Holy ajara remains the purest of all African saps.

I rise!

Court clerk, do the needful.
palm wine isn’t sealed so anyone can poison it. Just open the lid and drop poison worth #20 to end the life of a millionaire. If they’re using Juice let them use it, wahala too much
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by henrijin: 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2021
After all this razzmatazz, most of them will enter marriage and start displaying their devilish behaviour. This life is in disequilibrium.

1 Like

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by end1999constitu(m): 7:17pm On Apr 29, 2021
grin grin grin

Please what did he want to pluck ?

Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by Johnsonmorire(f): 7:44pm On Apr 29, 2021
femi4:
Go back to history and research on why some items were chosen cos of what they represent and others were chosen cos of no better alternative
I don't need to go back to where you're coming from
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by MoIbrahim: 4:43am On Apr 30, 2021
topboss1:
THIS YORUBA WEBSITE WILL NOT LEAVE IGBO PEOPLE PRACTICE ALONE.

THEY WILL JUST BE POSTING RUBBISH TO DECIEVE YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE MINDS.

A MERE STINKING WEB PAGE, I DONT KNOW WAT EFFECT U THINK U CAN POSSBILY HAVE ON OUR AGE LONG TRADITION.

STOP POSTING CRAP ON FP.

PALMWINE AND TRADITIONAL WEDDING ARE LIKE 5 AND 6.

What is this one saying? Una no know pass ethno-religious fight?
Re: The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites by XclusiveEmma(m): 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2021
Palmwine is a gift of nature..
Meanwhile, I supply palmwine in wholesale directly from the source
Mmiyi Nnkwu Mmiyi Ngwor
Call or Send messages to request or order. Call: 07030188647 Whatsapp: 07030188647
Delivery at your door step

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians In Ireland Celebrate Yoruba Culture With Colourful Fabrics (Pictures) / The Famous Mkpokiti Dance In Anambra (Photos) / Emir Sanusi's Wife, Saadatu Lamido, New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.