Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? (14961 Views)

PHOTO : Skeletons Found 'holding Hands' After 700 Years / Why Do Nigerian Guys Like To Gossip? / Why do Nigerian Women Bear Their Father's Name, After Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Hero(m): 5:41am On Jul 11, 2007
Yeah, on my trip to Naija, I witnessed guys walking around holding hands on several occasions. That ish was mad gay, and I was shocked to see it happening as if it was the most normal thing in the world for them to do this. Were these dude homosexuals or is this a custom   That ish freaked me out, cause if it was two of them, the two would hold hands as they strolled about, and if there were 3, all three would hold hands and walk and if there were 4, all 4 would hold hands like little girls or something. What's up with this gay stuff angry

Today I went with my girl to a Nigerian party, and their were these two Nigerian guys walking around holding hands, and I hand a bad flashback to Naija.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Jakumo(m): 5:57am On Jul 11, 2007
Very bizarre local custom that comes as a shock to visiting men in particular, who will often find themselves struggling to pull free from some dude trying to hold their hands in a gesture of welcome. Got nothing to do with gayness despite appearances.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by cuteNhot(f): 6:01am On Jul 11, 2007
Hehehehehe cheesy grin
damn!!
i suppose Naija guys are in touch with their feminine side. ooops! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by stranger12: 10:37am On Jul 11, 2007
Have you seen middle east men greet each other?

They hug and kiss on both cheeks.

Now that is what a westerner would call gay.

In most socially developed countries  (e.g Nigeria) "Gayism" is being involved in the very act of sodomy with someone of the same sex.
In the very tolerant socially developing world (e.g. USA) It is the act of showing a feminine side that makes you gay. e.g turning your head funny, holding another man, throwing your hands like a lady, using make up, drawing your words when speaking, e.t.c.

In Nigeria, the these various manifestation when extreme are considered psychotic and would probably be referred to a mental hospital
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by viee(f): 10:49am On Jul 11, 2007
lol @ poster

i never took notice of it until a friend frm d States mentioned it
he was shocked just like you grin
guess it boils down to culture-girls hold hands, guys hold hands- no one complains.
d gay thing is such a taboo that it is unimaginable
therefore, while we may not frown at bothe sexs holding hand, we( society) will surely frown at opposite sex holding hands
thats culture for u.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by gbadex1(m): 8:54pm On Jul 11, 2007
@ the poster:

what the Bleep are you saying? I've got loads of friends - males, in this case- and we don't hold hands like shit. The only time there's holding of hands is in a gesture of greeting. Bleep it, is shakin' a fuckin' hand gay? I live in Lagos, go to my hometown regularly, visit other Western states and Nigerian men don't fuckin' "hold hands". Whatever you saw, mos definitely is/was a gesture of greeting.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 9:19pm On Jul 11, 2007
Holding hands - as how? Please come back and elaborate.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by gbadex1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2007
Exactly. @ poster; Come back and elaborate. Where you not the same person that claimed a market girl in someplace in Nigeria called you an akata?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2007
That's a new one on me. I never heard men being called 'akata'. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by gbadex1(m): 9:33pm On Jul 11, 2007
Dude obviously's on the hashish. . . .
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Islander(f): 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2007
Travesty of freaking Justice. How can someone who was born and bred in Sodom and Gommorah, where "Gaydom" now has now become the order of the day, now travel to someone else's country and scream foul?

I lived 3 years in Cuba and had to adjust to being kissed by both men and women, as that was the way one was greeted in that culture. So Hero needs to first pull that stone out of his eyes before he attempts to do so to others.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by gbadex1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2007
True story, Islander, true story.

Whatever crapola he's even talking or insinuating about, Nigerian men don't do. As a mattes of fact, you could even get pimpslapped tryin' to "hold hands" or probably waylayed. So what bile is this mofo spittin'?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by gbadex1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2007

Whatever crapola he's even talking or insinuating about, Nigerian men don't do. As a mattes of fact, you could even get pimpslapped tryin' to "hold hands" or probably waylayed. So what bile is this mofo spittin'?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Islander(f): 9:48pm On Jul 11, 2007
gbade. x:

Buoy as we say ah yard " do so nah like so tal tal tal"
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by gbadex1(m): 9:51pm On Jul 11, 2007
Lol, all join. . .
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by WesleyanA(f): 4:26am On Jul 12, 2007
culture.
it' like that in many other countries too.
in the middle east, like stranger said, they hug and kiss each other on the cheeks as a form of greeting.
when i was in Nigeria, boys didn't have any problems being close with their friends, showing some of their emotions, holding hands etc i don't know how things have changed.

It's only in the US (and maybe a few other countries) that stuff like this is looked down upon. boys can't cry, compliment each other or show any form of emotion whatsoever. otherwise, they risk being called pu**y, weak, gay etc. undecided I think it's ridiculous.

cultural differences.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Nobody: 4:38am On Jul 12, 2007
WesleyanA:

when i was in Nigeria, boys didn't have any problems being close with their friends, showing some of their emotions, holding hands etc i don't know how things have changed.

it is most likely you dont know anything. How old were you when you left Nigeria? I cant remember holding hands with my best friends or even brothers beyond the customary hand shakes. I didnt even know one of my very best friends and bunk mate for 4 yrs had extremely soft hands until a female friend pointed it out. If we were holding hands every minute i shld have known.

WesleyanA:

It's only in the US (and maybe a few other countries) that stuff like this is looked down upon. boys can't cry, compliment each other or show any form of emotion whatsoever. otherwise, they risk being called pu**y, weak, gay etc. undecided I think it's ridiculous.

Only in the US? Its probably even worse in Nigeria. The first time i shed tears my father had to call me aside to tell me men/boys dont cry especially infront of women. Perhaps that's why you and your fellow feminists are eager to claim that Nigerian men are unromantic. To show emotion is not encouraged in the Nigerian male.
Say only things you are 100% sure about! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by WesleyanA(f): 4:53am On Jul 12, 2007
seems like we've had this argument before. haha
anyways, i've seen boys who put their arms around each other in Nigeria and are very close with their friends unlike here in the states.
not all the boys do that, but those who do don't receive any dirty looks or the likes. it just seemed natural.

fact remains.
I have a friend from pakistan and i've seen his pics of him and his friends way back from when he was still in his country.
those pics will be considered gay to his american mates.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Nobody: 5:05am On Jul 12, 2007
good. stick to the pakistanis. grin

How many people even notice boys who put their arms around each other except for a few isolated cases?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by WesleyanA(f): 5:24am On Jul 12, 2007
not every girl you see on the streets go about holding hands with their friends or putting their arms around each other either.

there are those who do it among the girls and among the guys.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by ghettochyk(f): 6:02am On Jul 12, 2007
Posted by HERO
Yeah, on my trip to Naija, I witnessed guys walking around holding hands on several occasions. That ish was mad gay, and I was shocked to see it happening as if it was the most normal thing in the world for them to do this. Were these dude homosexuals or is this a custom That ish freaked me out, cause if it was two of them, the two would hold hands as they strolled about, and if there were 3, all three would hold hands and walk and if there were 4, all 4 would hold hands like little girls or something. What's up with this gay stuff

Today I went with my girl to a Nigerian party, and their were these two Nigerian guys walking around holding hands, and I hand a bad flashback to Naija.

well, you just asked why it's done, and then you turn around and call it "gay". And for that reason (gay), you were shocked. I'm sure you went to Nigeria from AMERICA where it's aint no surprise to see gay folks acting out in the open (unlike Naija). that's definitely no reason to be shocked. When I was in Naija, i never saw any grown ass men holding hands like that. I can't even imagine Grown Ass Naija men doing dat, especially in public.

Islander:

Travesty of freaking Justice. How can someone who was born and bred in Sodom and Gommorah, where "Gaydom" now has now become the order of the day, now travel to someone else's country and scream foul?
'nuff said for real.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by cuteNhot(f): 7:53am On Jul 12, 2007
Hey Hero!!!! angry what the Bleep are you saying?
are you calling Nigerian men Pus*ies?
Have you ever seen a Nigerian man discipline his woman?
Thats no Pus*y for you. thats a maaaan. a tough man.
Did you see that 419er on the Tv when he was caught, how he sang like a YELLOW canary?
Nigerian men are tough customers, they aint gay angry
Oh! another thing, there are no gays in Nigeria. only America have them.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 10:07am On Jul 12, 2007
cute_N_hot:

Oh! another thing, there are no gays in Nigeria. only America have them.

Lol, let's not whip him so much - his skin may not be so tender afterwards! grin

Anyway, there are gays in Nigeria - and most places some of us thought they didn't exist, it would amaze us if we discovered what we didn't know hitherto!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by mellow(m): 10:54am On Jul 12, 2007
Would you rather they hold hands? I hold hands with my Dad,

brothers and friends and yet none of us is gay. We should stop

reading useless meanings to peoples actions.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by finemocha(f): 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2007
nigerian guys do it a lot but even before i came to the US and learnt about the whole gay thing, i still found it slightly odd. iTs very very weird. They should stop it.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 12, 2007
I guess those NBA basket ballers slapping one another on the bum when they make a good shot are all gays too!
abeg i
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by SMC(f): 9:57pm On Jul 12, 2007
I do understand what the poster means. Although not all Nigerian guys go round holding hands, I remember several years ago when one of my brothers made a trip to Naija and saw some teenage boys in my other brother's school holding hands. He raised the issue with my mum and said he hoped they were not gay in the school (a silly snap judgment from an innocent act if you ask me).

I think in the West, guys try to act and seem all macho, so holding hands with another bloke for no apparent reason is regarded as weird and abnormal. It is kind of accepted in sports or where you are comforting someone in despair but not in normal everyday life (I mean for example, you'll see one footballer run up to another who has scored a goal to hug or kiss him and no one would think twice of it, but if those very same people who were hugging and kissing on the field dare to do so walking down the street, then it would be a different ball game and you'll see that peoples reaction would differ greatly).
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Uche2nna(m): 10:09pm On Jul 12, 2007
Well I guess if U have been living in a country where weirdness is the order of the day ( gayness, pedophilia ,drugs, high divorce rate , u name it) then U would be liable to misconstrue any innocent gesture carried out by other people.

What a laff !!!! Holding hands now equates to gayness !!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Nobody: 2:09am On Jul 13, 2007
it's not uncommon for 2 men to sleep on the same bed or 2 women in our culture and absolutely no hanky pankies.
These depraved soceities  with warped minds have labelled everything.

Even a woman speaking her mind is called a lesbian.
And a man with a soft voice is immediately labelled gay.
A man without biceps is gay
The one with too much biceps is gay.
A man that is well groomed, dresses well and wears a good cologne is gay.
If he has soft well moisturized hands,he's gay.
If he has a little hips,he's gay
if he's smallish he's gay
If he's unmarried for a while,he may be gay

Na wa o
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Nobody: 2:12am On Jul 13, 2007
babyosisi:

it's not uncommon for 2 men to sleep on the same bed or 2 women in our culture and absolutely no hanky pankies.
These depraved soceities with warped minds have labelled everything.

Even a woman speaking her mind is called a lesbian.
And a man with a soft voice is immediately labelled gay.
A man without biceps is gay
The one with too much biceps is gay.
A man that is well groomed, dresses well and wears a good cologne is gay.
If he has soft well moisturized hands,he's gay.
If he has a little hips,he's gay
if he's smallish he's gay
If he's unmarried for a while,he may be gay

Na wa o

If a baby sucks his mother's breast he is gay!
In short all men are gay!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by Nobody: 2:14am On Jul 13, 2007
david you don come again.
ROFL

If he sucks till the age of 2,he is so gay and the mama may be gay too.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? by omoge(f): 2:18am On Jul 13, 2007
isn't it a strange sight seeing two adult/young guys holding hands grin
even in before before when i don't know what gay is, i always laugh when i see young men holding hands. they should stop it if they still doing it in Nig grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Funny yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Why Nigerian Men Are Killing Their Wives At A High Rate In America / Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.