Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,722 members, 7,955,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:25 PM

The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! (1832 Views)

Content Is Showing On The Right Margin Of The Site / Ie Margin Wahala: / Ie Margin Wahala: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 23, 2011
Now, this is an improvement over the second quiz which surprisingly was not as straight forward as i wanted. Now, all we are trying to do here is to just add margin top and bottom to the span tag.
There is no gimmick in this one, [s]except maybe your browser is just not getting the margins right![/s]

For fear of the spam bot, i decided to post an image this time.

BTW, you are not [size=16pt]allowed[/size] to make use of the css margin property, although i will not advise it (for reasons best known to me).

Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 23, 2011
Ewa o, kilode? not even a single reply?
Has somebody tried .spacer {margin-top:50px;margin-bottom:50px} ? Dime!! oya, vien, reply por favor, merci! ejooor!
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by yawatide(f): 4:44am On Apr 24, 2011
Though I have not, due to time (and better things to do) verified this for myself, my understanding is that inline elements, SPAN being one of them, don't respond to top/bottom margin and padding, only left and right.  This might be browser-dependent though.

Again, I haven't verified this from an official (as in w3c) source though I have experienced the above on several projects that I have worked on, over the years.

I think, IMHO, it is better for you to post an image of your question than type it out in English. I personally find your questioning very confusing (no offense).

To answer your question:
I would probably make use of line-height.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 24, 2011
yawa-ti-de:

Though I have not, due to time (and better things to do) verified this for myself, my understanding is that inline elements, SPAN being one of them, don't respond to top/bottom margin and padding, only left and right.  This might be browser-dependent though.

Again, I haven't verified this from an official (as in w3c) source though I have experienced the above on several projects that I have worked on, over the years.

I think, IMHO, it is better for you to post an image of your question than type it out in English. I personally find your questioning very confusing (no offense).

To answer your question:
I would probably make use of line-height.
muhahahaha. si, pero of course, you are correct. line-height will do just fine, margins will never work with the span tag - since it is not a css box object.
If it were to be DIV rather than span, you can use margin/padding since those are exclusive for box objects. Well, this is for the css learners though.

@yawatide, i usually post jscript questions, so i thought for a change tis good i do some css stuffs. I will be back luego with more css stuffs.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 24, 2011
mi problemo con mis preguntas es that es facil a escribe codes como ingles! lo siento!!
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by yawatide(f): 1:04pm On Apr 24, 2011
I didn't say you shouldn't post CSS questions o. I am only saying make them clearer. BTW, as confusing to me as they might have been, I do enjoy them. They help stimulate my brain wink

One advantage of coding for a long time is that I have pretty much seen everything, codewise, under the sun, from the good to the bad to the ugly and to the terribly ugly cool
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 24, 2011
Well, same goes for me too. BTW these preguntas eres por estudiante nuevo y not for advanced people like you and I!
But yes, it helps stimulate the brain sha. . . and i do know some people are learning from these sha, even if they cannot
answer it correctly.
But of course, i will post any quiz questions in any d-h-t-m-l language that i feel like, just that, (pero i wont do site reviews)
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by youngbobby(m): 9:20pm On Apr 24, 2011
Add

<div style="padding:50px; background:#whatever color hex code"><span>, </span></div>

instead,
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by yawatide(f): 10:02pm On Apr 24, 2011
@youngbobby:
I think, and I am pretty sure, that OP asked, "what would you add to the spacer class . . ." If you look closely, you will notice that there is no spacer class associated with the div tag surrounding the span tags.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 24, 2011
youngbobby:

Add

<div style="padding:50px; background:#whatever color hex code"><span>, </span></div>

instead,
This is teaching. I remember trying to line-space the span tag - that was the quiz question. And the answer according to
yawatide which i agree by 100% is that - it can be done with line-height because span is an inline element and is not
a box object, so it will not respond to regular margin and padding. . .
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by bouzymill2: 2:38pm On Apr 25, 2011
Sorry Guys, I missed out form the beginning! Av been out of work for three days now, and FYI, I have been helping my wife in the labour room while delivering our first baby. I'm really happy and I'm in a super mood today. . . *Yay*

To the question. with the way the browser snapshot is showing the output of what you are trying to do with the spacer class, I think I'ld rather use an unordered list. Reason is I'm not very sure if the span class can take "Display: inline-box" for span but if it does, then it takes care of everything else. But on a safer side, I prefer to use Unordered list. as in:

HTML:

<ul>
<li>facebook</li>
<li>twitter</li>
<li>google</li>
<li>yahoo</li>
</ul>

CSS:

ul {
overflow:hidden; (to prepare the Unodered lit for float)
width: auto; (to auto expand the width)
}

ul li {
float:left; (this would allow them to list beside each other)
margin: 5px 0 5px 0; (We have added our margin top and bottom)
list-style: none; (to remove the list bullets)
}

This is semantically correct and Like you said. this is 100% Gimmicks free.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by bouzymill(m): 2:40pm On Apr 25, 2011
Sorry Guys, I missed out form the beginning! Av been out of work for three days now, and FYI, I have been helping my wife in the labour room while delivering our first baby. I'm really happy and I'm in a super mood today. .  .  *Yay*

To the question. with the way the browser snapshot is showing the output of what you are trying to do with the spacer class, I think I'ld rather use an unordered list. Reason is I'm not very sure if the span class can take "Display: inline-box" for span but if it does, then it takes care of everything else. But on a safer side, I prefer to use Unordered list. as in:

HTML:

<ul>
    <li>facebook</li>
    <li>twitter</li>
    <li>google</li>
    <li>yahoo</li>
</ul>

CSS:

ul {
overflow:hidden; (to prepare the Unodered lit for float)
width: auto; (to auto expand the width)
}

ul li {
float:left; (this would allow them to list beside each other)
margin: 5px 0 5px 0; (We have added our margin top and bottom)
list-style: none; (to remove the list bullets)
}

This is semantically correct and Like you said. this is 100% Gimmicks free.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by ceeboy: 11:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
Am a newbie to webdesign(2wks). Learning html presently.
Please I need help with this:
I am trying to use a .gif image for bulleting.
The books that am using says;
<ul src=url>list</ul>
the gif is in the same location as the page am working on so I did;
<ul src="image.gif ">the list goes here</ul>
but I am not getting it, please any pointers on what I am doing wrong.
Thanks Guys.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by DualCore1: 3:08am On Apr 26, 2011
ceeboy:

Am a newbie to webdesign(2wks). Learning html presently.
Please I need help with this:
I am trying to use a .gif image for bulleting.
The books that am using says;
<ul src=url>list</ul>
the gif is in the same location as the page am working on so I did;
<ul src="image.gif ">the list goes here</ul>
but I am not getting it, please any pointers on what I am doing wrong.
Thanks Guys.

Use this

<ul style="list-style-image: url(image.gif);">the list goes here</ul>

It should be pretty clear but if you still need any explanations, do post here.

@bouzymill
Congrats on your baby. cool
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by ceeboy: 11:50am On Apr 26, 2011
winkThanks Uncle Dual Core, it worked like magic.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by yawatide(f): 1:01pm On Apr 26, 2011
@bouzymill:
Congrats on the safe delivery an on the arrival of your first baby.

Yep, there are better ways of approaching the problem but I think, IMHO, OP was just asking for a solution based on the code at hand, as opposed to the best way to approach a solution.
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 26, 2011
congratulations amigo por the nino nuevo. Now dual core, you need to pay tax task tasks (for trading in my absence) tongue
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by DualCore1: 4:38pm On Apr 26, 2011
You're welcom ceeboy.

*dhtml, send me an invoice wink
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by bouzymill2: 5:37pm On Apr 26, 2011
Thanks to you all. . . I really appreciate it.

yawa-ti-de:

Yep, there are better ways of approaching the problem but I think, IMHO, OP was just asking for a solution based on the code at hand, as opposed to the best way to approach a solution.

I know right. . . lol. Cos when I finished answering the question. I was like, "shey na wetin dem ask you be dis sha?" Now I know the reason I failed Jamb so much!
Re: The Margin Top/bottom Css Quiz : Reminds me of quantitative aptitude! by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 26, 2011
Lol. . .you no serious

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your Advice On "Adblabla" / Who Else Wants To Create A Wordpress Website / Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.