Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,622 members, 7,816,563 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free (638 Views)

Ali Baba Reacts To Falz "This Is Nigeria" Video: Everyone Is Criminal In Nigeria / Banky W And Adesua Etomi's White Wedding Photos In South Africa / 1000 Flies In Tonto Dikeh's Son's Room: "We've Been Facing Spiritual Battles" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 12:25pm On Apr 30, 2021
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

The possibility of a mistrial exists for rape accused pastor Timothy Omotoso if confidential e-mails between the lead prosecutor and his team are anything to go by.

It is now up to judge Irma Schoeman to decide, with lawyers for Omotoso claiming he prosecution team under advocate Nceba Ntelwa conspired to persuade witnesses to commit perjury.

In an astounding development, Ntelwa stands accused of withholding crucial evidence and allegedly causing complainants to lie in the witness box.

Ntelwa also allegedly instructed a former colleague in the case, advocate Ishmet Cerfontein, to ignore additional charges against Omotoso “because it will impact so negatively to [sic] the case”.

What is the trial about?

Omotoso and his two co-accused are facing more than 90 sex and human trafficking-related charges.

The state alleges that the two co-accused lured young women from the Jesus Dominion International Church in Port Elizabeth to a mission house near Durban where they were expected to undergo spiritual training.

Up to now, the testimony of all the witnesses painted the same picture, the promise of a better life, money, a career in music, or spiritual training. But the promises ended up in sexual abuse with the witnesses testifying they were all influenced by the pastor’s so-called power over them.

They all saw him as a man of God.

Omotoso was arrested more than four years ago and remains in custody.

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 12:29pm On Apr 30, 2021
The arrest of Pastor Timothy Omotoso at an airport in 2017 grabbed the interest of the nation in South Africa.

He is believed to have moved to the country in 2001.

The 62- year old self-proclaimed prophet and leader of the Jesus Dominion International Church faces charges of sexual assault, human trafficking, rape and an additional five charges relating to the contravention of the Immigration Act.

Some of his alleged victims were as young as 14 years.

The pastor also allegedly evaded arrest by the Hawks (special police unit) several times. He tried to avoid his arrest at the Port Elizabeth airport by first lying about his arrival time and then hiding in a toilet when he found the Hawks and armed members of the South African Police Service’s Tactical Response Team waiting for him.

His dramatic arrest was met with shock by the community and anger by his congregation. His bail proceedings delivered shocking revelations.

The court heard detailed affidavits of victims and that the pastor was in possession of fraudulent travel documents.

The state called Ivan Klassen, a departmental official from Home Affairs who told the court in a sworn affidavit that Omotoso was in possession of six passports, but only handed in five of those passports after he was arrested.

The court also heard that an illegal work permit was obtained for the pastor by a member of his church who was working at the Department of Home Affairs and that a senior official within the Hawks were in cahoots with the prophet to get him out of the country.

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by Franzinni: 12:34pm On Apr 30, 2021
Wetin southy babes dey chop wey the circumference of thier aso rock area dey always beat expectations?

Just negodu that one with light blue jeans ...

I guess that is what made the good shepherd begin to eat his sheep..omotosho too like suya...
Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 12:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:

I guess that is what made the good shepherd begin to eat his sheep..omotosho too like suya...

Lol grin, that's all u saw in this story?!
Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by DDDEnterprises: 12:47pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:
Wetin southy babes dey chop wey the circumference of thier aso rock area dey always beat expectations?

So upon all these wey dey ground, na wetin you fit focus on be that?

Hello! Just kneel down wherever you are now!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by Franzinni: 12:50pm On Apr 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

Lol grin, that's all u saw in this story?!
bros e shock me pass Buhari.
Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 12:54pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:

You'd never survive in SA coz half the women are like that. But if you lack self-control you'll become Omotoso's cellmate grin
Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by Franzinni: 12:54pm On Apr 30, 2021
DDDEnterprises:

So upon all these wey dey ground, na wetin you fit focus on be that?

Hello! Just kneel down wherever you are now!
haha ..

I just call attention to the obvious focus of the image that is the first place any warm blooded man will see them his eyes will wonder for more and when you don't find any more your eye go return to the point of interest once more ... Haha
Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by Franzinni: 1:04pm On Apr 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

You'd never survive in SA coz half the women are like that. But if you lack self-control you'll become Omotoso's cellmate grin
haha make I dey nigeria where ironing board yansh full everywhere jeje.

I don't want problem for my wahala.

But how come... is it that they eat something or dey sit-down too much or they walk too much or how is it like that ... Round and chicken periperi?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 1:13pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:
haha make I dey nigeria where ironing board yansh full everywhere jeje.

I don't want problem for my wahala.

But how come... is it that they eat something or dey sit-down too much or they walk too much or how is it like that ... Round and chicken periperi?

LMAO grin grin grin, ah mehn u cracked me up. It's been like this for centuries so I guess it's genes.

Ever heard of Sara Baartman?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by Franzinni: 1:17pm On Apr 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

LMAO grin grin grin, ah mehn u cracked me up. It's been like this for centuries so I guess it's genes.

Ever heard of Sara Baartman?
yeah but that woman suffer for oyinbo hand chai .. it is in the blood I guess .. I was hoping It was a leaf make I begin buy land sharply.. I done be farmer be that. Haha.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:
yeah but that woman suffer for oyinbo hand chai .. it is in the blood I guess .. I was hoping It was a leaf make I begin buy land sharply.. I done be farmer be that. Haha.

Maybe there's a leaf cheesy, I'll ask them - there are some on this forum. XhosaNostra, Lionnessza

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by Franzinni: 1:31pm On Apr 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

Maybe there's a leaf cheesy, I'll ask them - there are some on this forum. XhosaNostra, Lionnessza
how you want take start that kind convo... Haha

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by jakini5408: 1:34pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor Facing 97 Criminal Charges In South Africa Could Soon Walk Free by TMKsouth: 1:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
Franzinni:
how you want take start that kind convo... Haha

They don't mind, SA people are outspoken.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

"If She Had Not Said YES, I Would Have Married You" - Tonto Dikeh Reveals Crush / Anita Joseph Shares Racy Video Of Husband Grabbing Her Backside On Anniversary / Man Donates Kidney To Girlf And She Laters Marries Malaysian Guy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.