Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,653 members, 7,827,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) (1822 Views)

Yemza Elderly Care And Physiotherapy / Read What Nikemi Wrote On Family: This Short Story Won A Competition / Powerful Pics From The 2018 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Awesome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by Cetacean419: 2:47pm On Apr 30, 2021
Good day everyone, my Nephew is about to undergo registration. He wants something in Health Field that he can start up from somewhere or hustle with the degree. I told him Pharmacy and the advantages with also disadvantages he said NO.
His parents want him to study Medicine because in our family. My sister his mother is a Lawyer, my elderl brother a Medical Doctor turned a Physician Assistant in the US, my father an Engineer,my younger brother, currently studying Dentistry and I myself am Engineer turned a big time Agriculurist His mother said he must study Medicine his father also the same. I told him Nursing he said NO, Radiography he said NO. I told him about Vet med and the money they're currently making untop of my head. He still refused he even said NO for Medicine and Dentistry.
So this young man gave us two options
*Physiotherapy
*Optometry
My father his Grandfather supported this idea that he could start up his practice, doing hustle with NGO's and also make money for Optometry and continue it as a family business.
My brother a PA who is making serious money there, less legal issues and over 122K plus adds on bonuses said he should go for Physiotherapy that he could come to the US that people with stroke, Accidents and pain issues pay heavily for Physiotherapy. He even said in Nigeria Physiotherapist are making money that many Hospitals can't employ them but seek their help like contract (How true this is I don't know).
I told him Optometry and Physiotherapyis 6years and 5years respectively he said it doesn't matter. I told him that you won't get respect like Medical Doctors, he said it doesn't matter he's after something great.
So my people is he on the right path? He sees business in everything. He gave me a business Idea that I am cashing out from daily. He makes his money oo and he's just 17. His parents are threatening him that they won't pay his fees, he doesn't even care. He just want votes and I felt like to use this platform.
Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by iHart(m): 4:24pm On Apr 30, 2021
I studied optometry for two years before I switched to chemistry. So let me say the little I know about optometry. An optometrist is more of a technician. He does not conduct any major surgical operation on the eye. After school he can work in government hospitals, government or private eye clinics, he can also open his own clinic. One of the problem facing the profession is that they have untrained and unlicensed artisans who steal their jobs as they can prescribe glasses, cut glasses and fix it to frames for people with eye problem, and they even have apprentices. These artisans even go as far as conducting eye check and prescribing drugs for patients. The national body (NOA) is not fighting hard to checkmate these quacks and that makes the profession look like child's play

1 Like

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by Columbine(m): 5:08pm On Apr 30, 2021
physiotherapy is more preferable, considering the kind of connection your family have, but pharmacy and Radiography are more business oriented
Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by Cetacean419: 5:10pm On Apr 30, 2021
iHart:
I studied optometry for two years before I switched to chemistry. So let me say the little I know about optometry. An optometrist is more of a technician. He does not conduct any major surgical operation on the eye. After school he can work in government hospitals, government or private eye clinics, he can also open his own clinic. One of the problem facing the profession is that they have untrained and unlicensed artisans who steal their jobs as they can prescribe glasses, cut glasses and fix it to frames for people with eye problem, and they even have apprentices. These artisans even go as far as conducting eye check and prescribing drugs for patients. The national body (NOA) is not fighting hard to checkmate these quacks and that makes the profession look like child's play
Guy I don't think people do switch from Optometry to Chemistry. It's 6years and you did just two naw. I can't rely on this from somebody that did not study it fully. The reason is because I know how much eye drugs, eye tests,glasses cost. I can't take your word even though I am not in support of him doing Optometry

1 Like

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by iHart(m): 7:14pm On Apr 30, 2021
Cetacean419:

Guy I don't think people do switch from Optometry to Chemistry. It's 6years and you did just two naw. I can't rely on this from somebody that did not study it fully. The reason is because I know how much eye drugs, eye tests,glasses cost. I can't take your word even though I am not in support of him doing Optometry
I switched from optometry to chemistry, you don't need to believe it. Try and visit drug line Ariaria market and see the quacks attending to patients. They have shops everywhere there. For your information, eye check doesn't cost anything. That they spend 6years in the University doesn't mean they will conduct surgical operations in the eye. Optometrists are technicians, the profession is a good one but not that lucrative if you want to go into private practice.

If your brother who is an MD but a practicing PA told you something and you still doubt, I am not surprised that you said you won't take my word because I didn't study the course fully. I hope others will lend there voices and please before you take anybody's word on whatever he or she says, demand for their degree certificate to be sure they truly studied the course. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by Chaclaitmilk(m): 1:53am On May 01, 2021
Cetacean419:

My father his Grandfather supported this idea that he could start up his practice, doing hustle with NGO's and also make money for Optometry and continue it as a family business.

I am curious, how is he going to hustle with NGOs in optometry? Please shed more light on this

My advice for your bro is to do optometry, if he can go abroad he will be paid better than in Nigeria just like physiotherapy.
And he can set up his own eye clinic, register with nhis or other private health insurance companies, get more patients and make more money.
Or he can work in government hospitals and get paid very well.
Optometrists don't dispense glasses alone. They give drugs and eyedrop and post surgical care of eyes and vision therapy and treat conditions like amblopia or cross eyes and treat basically every eye condition that doesn't need surgery.

Of course you need to do more research and your brother should only study the course he likes out of the two, he should do the one he has more passion for.
I wish him success in whatever path he finally chooses.
Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by ThatPetiteChic: 10:53pm On May 01, 2021
Cetacean419:

I studied optometry but I don't want to say I regret it. The course only thrives in Lagos, maybe Abuja, government work and good NGOs. I stay in PH and getting a good paying job is difficult(imagine 60k mon to sat, 8 to 6) except I open my own clinic.

In teaching hospitals, we are not respected at all. We dont dispense drugs and diagnose there. It's only glasses even though our scope includes it. The ophthalmologist are constantly fighting us in that aspect. Our optometrist board is not really trying enough in that aspect.

Lastly, I really want to go abroad so I checked online. Optometry is regarded as Bsc(4yr course) in UK and europe. Canada, US and Australia are the only sensible countries that regard us as doctors. Definitely, they pay far higher than UK and europe. Now the problem is that the profession is highly regulated in these countries, worse than medicine. You have to get into their bridge program which is not free, over 50k USD for the 18months program. Canada takes less than 20 international optometrist worldwide yearly and US takes about 10 yearly. Most of my colleagues that travelled have left the field. I tried applying for the bridge but it's not possible to apply from Nigeria and going for masters and bridge is too expensive for me(100kUSD because it's 2years for masters and 50kUSD for bridge). So, I am left with Australia which I am processing.

I am not discouraging your nephew o but physiotherapist charge hourly for therapy and they are highly sought after. It's better you meet physiotherapist in the field sha to know how things are done locally and internationally.

3 Likes

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by frozen70(f): 5:49am On May 02, 2021
Cetacean419:
Good day everyone, my Nephew is about to undergo registration. He wants something in Health Field that he can start up from somewhere or hustle with the degree. I told him Pharmacy and the advantages with also disadvantages he said NO.
His parents want him to study Medicine because in our family. My sister his mother is a Lawyer, my elderl brother a Medical Doctor turned a Physician Assistant in the US, my father an Engineer,my younger brother, currently studying Dentistry and I myself am Engineer turned a big time Agriculurist His mother said he must study Medicine his father also the same. I told him Nursing he said NO, Radiography he said NO. I told him about Vet med and the money they're currently making untop of my head. He still refused he even said NO for Medicine and Dentistry.
So this young man gave us two options
*Physiotherapy
*Optometry
My brother a PA who is making serious money there, less legal issues and over 122K plus adds on bonuses said he should go for Physiotherapy that he could come to the US that people with stroke, Accidents and pain issues pay heavily for Physiotherapy. He even said in Nigeria Physiotherapist are making money that many Hospitals can't employ them but seek their help like contract (How true this is I don't know).
I told him Optometry and Physiotherapyis 6years and 5years respectively he said it doesn't matter. I told him that you won't get respect like Medical Doctors, he said it doesn't matter he's after something great.
So my people is he on the right path? He sees business in everything. He gave me a business Idea that I am cashing out from daily. He makes his money oo and he's just 17. His parents are threatening him that they won't pay his fees, he doesn't even care. He just want votes and I felt like to use this platform.

Let him follow his heart
Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by DBestDoc(f): 12:29pm On May 02, 2021
He should go for physiotherapy.

2 Likes

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by NoToPile: 4:20pm On May 02, 2021
Physiotherapy

Pharmacy is good business wise but since its not an option..

But then Time and chance happens to all, nothing is ever guaranteed.
Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by UCHIHAmask: 11:23pm On Jun 13, 2021
iHart:
I switched from optometry to chemistry, you don't need to believe it. Try and visit drug line Ariaria market and see the quacks attending to patients. They have shops everywhere there. For your information, eye check doesn't cost anything. That they spend 6years in the University doesn't mean they will conduct surgical operations in the eye. Optometrists are technicians, the profession is a good one but not that lucrative if you want to go into private practice.

If your brother who is an MD but a practicing PA told you something and you still doubt, I am not surprised that you said you won't take my word because I didn't study the course fully. I hope others will lend there voices and please before you take anybody's word on whatever he or she says, demand for their degree certificate to be sure they truly studied the course. Thank you
you mean you failed in optometry school and got pushed to chemistry department??
ok,i get it,you saw all this things about optometry,then you knew that optometry as a discipline was useless but then,what did you do?strive for medicine?nope,got dentistry?nope,you chose to study "chemistry",that's very logical and reasonable..
now your argument might be that you didn't want to waste 8yrs,(6yrs in schl,1yr paid internship and extra payment/special treatment in nysc),so you chose a 5yr chemistry(4yrs in school,1yr ordinary nysc) just to be quick out of school and maybe start street hustling/trading seeing that using your chemistry degree is impossible in all ramifications..very logical,hmm,if i was you,why not i just study optometry,graduate,enjoy the benefits,stand at a level on the foodchain and at the same time hustle or start trading since thats is what i want....
there are quacks in every field,optometry suffers less,compared to many other medical professions,i don't refer to glass sellers or herb users m as quacks,they are just ordinary bussiness men.

you saw people attending to patients in a drugline in ariara market,what kind of patients?you didn't specify,are they getting drugs for eye treatments or what?if yes,is it from ordinary drug chemist or pharmacist?did they just sell eye drugs and glasses there or do those people conduct eye checks/diagnoses too?is the shop just a drug shop or a clinic?anybody can buy eye drugs,pharmacists can give,optometrist or opthalmologists can give prescribtions for patients and refer them to pharm stores,so that thing you said about quacks in ariara drug store market seeing patients is a bit confusing,or do you mean that ordinary people open clinics,do tests with clinical instruments,diagnose diseases and prescribe for patients in ariaria market?is it just shops giving eyedrugs?or is it traders selling eye glasses?which one is it so i know where to hold you!!!!
eye care doesn't cost a thing,waw!!!how should i begin talking to you...
optometrist are technicians,waw,even when they are independent primary eye health care practitioners that provide vision care,they also examine,diagnose,treat and manage diseases and disorders of the eye!!!!i can never begin with you,seems like you pouring out frustrations.
they do not perform surgery,that's true,nobody argued that,but you brought it up in your frustrations,surgery is the speciaty of opthalmology,if optometrist are to start practising surgery,then the branch of medicine called opthalmology would be unneccessary,seeing that optometrist are independant,opthalmologist must Atleast hold an edge in practise over them..
after saying optometry are technicians and that eye care isn't expensive,you still call it a good profession that isn't lucrative,you mixing negative with positivity in a distorted manner,proves uncoordinated emotions,although i might be wrong..
how could you have been in 200L optometry and not know all this,i know 200L is the beginning of optometry school,you couldn't have done much relating to optometry but,i didn't expect such level of debauchery from someone who was once in the optometry school....

now,i didn't say anything about lucrativeness in optometry neither did i speak of it being better that physiotherapy,i 'm not an optometrist,what right do i have to proclaim,but i know things,i see things,i have people that are in this fields(my family are medicals)..

3 Likes

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by iHart(m): 7:00am On Jun 14, 2021
UCHIHAmask:

you mean you failed in optometry school and got pushed to chemistry department??
ok,i get it,you saw all this things about optometry,then you knew that optometry as a discipline was useless but then,what did you do?strive for medicine?nope,got dentistry?nope,you chose to study "chemistry",that's very logical and reasonable..
now your argument might be that you didn't want to waste 8yrs,(6yrs in schl,1yr paid internship and extra payment/special treatment in nysc),so you chose a 5yr chemistry(4yrs in school,1yr ordinary nysc) just to be quick out of school and maybe start street hustling/trading seeing that using your chemistry degree is impossible in all ramifications..very logical,hmm,if i was you,why not i just study optometry,graduate,enjoy the benefits,stand at a level on the foodchain and at the same time hustle or start trading since thats is what i want....
there are quacks in every field,optometry suffers less,compared to many other medical professions,i don't refer to glass sellers or herb users m as quacks,they are just ordinary bussiness men.

you saw people attending to patients in a drugline in ariara market,what kind of patients?you didn't specify,are they getting drugs for eye treatments or what?if yes,is it from ordinary drug chemist or pharmacist?did they just sell eye drugs and glasses there or do those people conduct eye checks/diagnoses too?is the shop just a drug shop or a clinic?anybody can buy eye drugs,pharmacists can give,optometrist or opthalmologists can give prescribtions for patients and refer them to pharm stores,so that thing you said about quacks in ariara drug store market seeing patients is a bit confusing,or do you mean that ordinary people open clinics,do tests with clinical instruments,diagnose diseases and prescribe for patients in ariaria market?is it just shops giving eyedrugs?or is it traders selling eye glasses?which one is it so i know where to hold you!!!!
eye care doesn't cost a thing,waw!!!how should i begin talking to you...
optometrist are technicians,waw,even when they are independent primary eye health care practitioners that provide vision care,they also examine,diagnose,treat and manage diseases and disorders of the eye!!!!i can never begin with you,seems like you pouring out frustrations.
they do not perform surgery,that's true,nobody argued that,but you brought it up in your frustrations,surgery is the speciaty of opthalmology,if optometrist are to start practising surgery,then the branch of medicine called opthalmology would be unneccessary,seeing that optometrist are independant,opthalmologist must Atleast hold an edge in practise over them..
after saying optometry are technicians and that eye care isn't expensive,you still call it a good profession that isn't lucrative,you mixing negative with positivity in a distorted manner,proves uncoordinated emotions,although i might be wrong..
how could you have been in 200L optometry and not know all this,i know 200L is the beginning of optometry school,you couldn't have done much relating to optometry but,i didn't expect such level of debauchery from someone who was once in the optometry school....

now,i didn't say anything about lucrativeness in optometry neither did i speak of it being better that physiotherapy,i 'm not an optometrist,what right do i have to proclaim,but i know things,i see things,i have people that are in this fields(my family are medicals)..
I said the simple truth. Do I need to explain to you why I moved from Optometry to Chemistry? It wasn't an issue of failure, at least I finished top in Chemistry during my time. So It was as a result of the fight between my school and the national body about its carrying capacity. About 63 students were disbanded into several biological and physical sciences. Yes, I felt bad leaving the department but I was never frustrated, I moved on. Many of the affected students went back to take Jamb and re-entered opt and medicine. That was fine. There is one thing with life, what you intend to be and passion. With Chemistry I have become what I want to be, so that's enough for me.

My family is medical too, when I talk, I talk from well sampled opinion. check out what we do from time to time
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212890621332419&id=1596481335

https://www.aph-foundation.org/

1 Like

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by UCHIHAmask: 12:45pm On Jun 14, 2021
iHart:
I said the simple truth. Do I need to explain to you why I moved from Optometry to Chemistry? It wasn't an issue of failure, at least I finished top in Chemistry during my time. So It was as a result of the fight between my school and the national body about its carrying capacity. About 63 students were disbanded into several biological and physical sciences. Yes, I felt bad leaving the department but I was never frustrated, I moved on. Many of the affected students went back to take Jamb and re-entered opt and medicine. That was fine. There is one thing with life, what you intend to be and passion. With Chemistry I have become what I want to be, so that's enough for me.

My family is medical too, when I talk, I talk from well sampled opinion. check out what we do from time to time
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212890621332419&id=1596481335

https://www.aph-foundation.org/
yes,you have to explain many things to me.
your reply is better now,succint and calm,for that i would neglect your evasiveness,all is well..

2 Likes

Re: Physiotherapy Or Optometry(not A Competition) by iHart(m): 2:40pm On Jun 14, 2021
UCHIHAmask:

yes,you have to explain many things to me.
your reply is better now,succint and calm,for that i would neglect your evasiveness,all is well..
one love

(1) (Reply)

She Is Not Saying Yes Or No But Always Saying Am Thinking About It.i Propossed To Her For The Past O / 7 Reasons Why Your Husband Has Low Libido / List Of Names In Alphabetical Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.