Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage (7581 Views)

Oore Of Mobaland: Only Person Who's Qualified To Break The News Of Ooni's Death / Bannned??? My Nigerian Mother In Law Might Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage / Proper Greeting For Black American Meeting Boyfriend's Nigerian Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 9:10pm On Apr 23, 2011
my husband and i have been married for the last 10 years. both my husband and i were born here. he is cultually more british than nigerian and to be honest, that was one of the many reasons i fell for him. we have 2 lovely kids and secure in our jobs. my mother in law has been visiting us from nigeria throughout the 10 years we have been together but now, we have decided to apply for her to live here indefinitely. #

sadly, since she has got her papers, i am beginning to see a different side to her. she now speaks to me very rudely-no more please or thank you, she is terribly aggressive- snatches this from me and looks me up and down, has no tact, barks at the kids and to make things worse, she expects me to clean up after her and do this constant bowing thing. the last trod, is when she told me not to wear shorts in the house or eat when my husband is eating ~(i should eat when he has finished). to cut a long story short, we has an argument in which she told me that if i was in niigeria i would be her slave, then she made the mistake to caLL ME 'STUPID GIRL'. I told here she was a fool. the whole family is waiting to kill me because 'i have abused an elder'.

in my view, respect goes in 2 ways. but, according to them, elders can say and do anything. My husband is beginning to change since his mother is here. he isnt saying much, instead, he spends most of his free time (which we normally share) with her, watching this nigerian film, one after the ohter. the worryinng thing is that he is beginning to  behave aggressively to me like they do in those films. I fear, this is the end of my marriage.

Surprisingly, my husband told me that when we got married, i got married to the culture so my mother in law is here to live with us,in our home, eternally. Not sure i can cope with that. Where have I gone wrong?

sorry for the typos; typing with one hand as my daughter is falling asleep.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Akan(m): 9:54pm On Apr 23, 2011
hmmmmm not an expert in these sort of issues but am sure more qualified people eg chaircover and others may soon be on hand to render the necessary advice. I take it u r not of nigerian origin
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Ndipe(m): 9:57pm On Apr 23, 2011
leavinglon:

my husband and i have been married for the last 10 years. both my husband and i were born here. he is cultually more british than nigerian and to be honest, that was one of the many reasons i fell for him. we have 2 lovely kids and secure in our jobs. my mother in law has been visiting us from nigeria throughout the 10 years we have been together but now, we have decided to apply for her to live here indefinitely. #

sadly, since she has got her papers, i am beginning to see a different side to her. she now speaks to me very rudely-no more please or thank you, she is terribly aggressive- snatches this from me and looks me up and down, has no tact, barks at the kids and to make things worse, she expects me to clean up after her and do this constant bowing thing. the last trod, is when she told me not to wear shorts in the house or eat when my husband is eating ~(i should eat when he has finished). to cut a long story short, we has an argument in which she told me that if i was in niigeria i would be her slave, then she made the mistake to caLL ME 'silly GIRL'. I told here she was a fool. the whole family is waiting to kill me because 'i have abused an elder'.

in my view, respect goes in 2 ways. but, according to them, elders can say and do anything. My husband is beginning to change since his mother is here. he isnt saying much, instead, he spends most of his free time (which we normally share) with her, watching this nigerian film, one after the ohter. the worryinng thing is that he is beginning to  behave aggressively to me like they do in those films. I fear, this is the end of my marriage.

Surprisingly, my husband told me that when we got married, i got married to the culture so my mother in law is here to live with us,in our home, eternally. Not sure i can cope with that. Where have I gone wrong?

sorry for the typos; typing with one hand as my daughter is falling asleep.

Nobody has the right to insult you in your house. I would expect such subservience from an African woman, not a British woman. Assert yourself!
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 9:58pm On Apr 23, 2011
Akan, I am not from nigeria. my parents were born here and so was i. Thanks though for your response. i take it that you are nigerian yourself, can i ask why the elders always demand that children do something instead of asking, eg. bring me water, instead of may i PLEASE have some water,
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Akan(m): 10:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
God given right i guess, u really need to be a Nigerian to understand the psyche. We Nigerians mostly dont see a problem with that. I dont ever remember my dad saying pls or thank you when asking and receiving stuff off me. But we just take it like that
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Ndipe(m): 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2011
leavinglon:

Akan, I am not from nigeria. my parents were born here and so was i. Thanks though for your response. i take it that you are nigerian yourself, can i ask why the elders always demand that children do something instead of asking, eg. bring me water, instead of may i PLEASE have some water,

Yeah, I am from Nigeria and respect to elders is enshrined in our culture. "bring me water, do this for me, do that for me," is expected, but the scenario will be typical between a child and a parent, not strangers. Strangers, yeah, you are expected to greet them outside, but you are not obligated in today's world to attend to their needs. Your mother inlaw probably regards you as her daughter and so expects you to be at her beck and call or has this primitive mentality that it is HER son's house, hence, you either put up with her bossy nature or you move out. if the insult persits, tell her in no unmistakable terms she is no longer welcome again and stick with it.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 11:39pm On Apr 23, 2011
I definitely do not like the idea of making requests which sound ever so direct and bossy. My children are 2 years old and 5 years old. At this stage, my youngest is still learning to say please so constantly having someone around who feels that 'in the name of culture' a senior should not use please/thank you when dealing with a junior is just not sitting well with me. When my eldest reminds her to ask nicely and use please/thank you, she aims at him with the back of his hand as if to threaten to box him. Now, this is where I get infuriated, simply put, i dont think this is for me.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Akan(m): 11:59pm On Apr 23, 2011
u def need to speak to ur hussy about ur concerns
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by MissyB3(f): 10:19pm On Apr 24, 2011
Ndipe:

Nobody has the right to insult you in your house. I would expect such subservience from an African woman, not a British woman. Assert yourself!

Ndipe:

Your mother inlaw has this primitive mentality that it is HER son's house, hence, you either put up with her bossy nature or you move out. if the insult persits, tell her in no unmistakable terms she is no longer welcome again and stick with it.
Terse!

You, too, need to put on the bossy garment, define whose house it is, and who rules.
As for calling her a fool, well, I really can't blame you. If she didn't know a thing about respect being reciprocal, she would be taught the hard way.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Abagworo(m): 10:28pm On Apr 24, 2011
I think this has a lot to do with gender.Women are generally kind of bossy and hence disagree a lot.Try to accept your Mother-in-law as your true Mum and your views of her will automatically change.You will now view her bossy part as her way of life and because of love will absorb it.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by MissyB3(f): 10:40pm On Apr 24, 2011
Well, if my mother was that provokingly bossy by nature, I'd stop being under her hold the day I move into my husband's house. For, there, I'm the boss and anyone that comes in is my guest and must take 'orders' from me or move out, if not willing to comply.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2011
Thank you all for your response so far. I have treated her as my mom for the last 9 years but now that she is living with us, she is beginnijg to change. Just got news that my husband is being made redundant. Keen to see how things will change around here with me being the only one working,

I just cant understand why they speak to younger children in the family like filth, in the name of elders, yet if this is reciprocated it becomes a death sentence.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 26, 2011
@leavinglon,
You have got to understand that when you marry a Nigerian man,you also marry his family.There is no way to isolate one from the other especially if it is a close knit family.You have to take your mum in law as your own mother and give her the respect you would give your own mum.It is not so difficult once you put a little effort into it.
When your mum in law sees the effort you are putting in she will grow to love and accept you as her daughter and you will get along fine.
I would like to sound a note of warning that you should never be confrontational such as calling her a fool.
Insulting elders is frowned upon seriously in Africa,and if she reports you to family members the results could be very unpleasant.
You are the person in the marriage and you know how the shoe is pinching you. Be careful the kind of advise you take from people on NL.
Goodluck.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Ndipe(m): 1:27am On Apr 26, 2011
Richvkunt:

@leavinglon,
You have got to understand that when you marry a Nigerian man,you also marry his family.There is no way to isolate one from the other especially if it is a close knit family.You have to take your mum in law as your own mother and give her the respect you would give your own mum.It is not so difficult once you put a little effort into it.
When your mum in law sees the effort you are putting in she will grow to love and accept you as her daughter and you will get along fine.
I would like to sound a note of warning that you should never be confrontational such as calling her a fool.
Insulting elders is frowned upon seriously in Africa,and if she reports you to family members the results could be very unpleasant.
You are the person in the marriage and you know how the shoe is pinching you. Be careful the kind of advise you take from people on NL.
Goodluck.

Respect should be reciprocal, and there are some folks who will try to make life difficult for you no matter how pleasant you maybe to them. The lady is at the receiving end of the mother in-law and no, I wouldnt advise anybody to call someone a f. . . Not at all. The mother in-law needs to realize that she is a visitor at her son's house and hence, should treat the mistress of the house with respect. According to the poster, that is not the case, but is treating her with contempt. That, I completely disagree. The daughter in-law needs to assert herself in her own house, otherwise, she would be at the losing end. I dont think that is being disrespectful.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by festac77: 12:43am On Jan 19, 2012
Wow, I hope that this is a warning to every self respecting woman not to marry a NIGERIAN man!! WTF! Can someone write a psych paper about this already. Same shit, different woman. The problem is Nigerian culture doesn't respect women, and treats married women like property.

I would have gone ballistic on the MIL, but that's just me (I actually did, but that's a whole 'nother post). I'm surprised more people didn't give you the standard response like Richvkunt did. This is the way many Nigerians are programmed to think, hence we don't question our leaders (I use the term leaders loosely), they can get away with bloody murder, we idolize greed and corruption and can't stand up for our rights.

My dear, you're going through psychological and emotional abuse. At the rate your MIL and husband are going, I won't be surprised if it turns physical. You're an equal contributor to the household and the mother of his kids. Why should a grown man be living with his mother? Am I the only one to see something pathological in this? Anyway, I won't preach; I will tell you that you need to put yourself first (cos they sure ain't), think about your wellbeing and your children's wellbeing. Don't let anyone threaten you (what the heck does Richvkunt mean by things could get unpleasant for you? Empty threats like the typical 'do you know who I am' demo that Nigerians do). Stand up for yourself, the longer you wait to do this the harder it will become.

You say your husband is spending more and more time with his mom, but I'm assuming that he still sleeps with you. How is he working up to that? Does he still romance you or just expect the ATM to be open 24/7. I'm asking, because part of what leads up to the big event is usually spending time together and being thoughtful, kind, etc,

Anyway, put on you big girl panties and deal with it, you'll be fine.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by ifyalways(f): 2:12pm On Jan 19, 2012
@OP,why did ur MIL relocate?Health reasons and is there any plan of her going back soon?

I would be leaning more on what Abagworo said.Trrry to accept and see your MIL as your own mom.Be honest to yourself,would you have handled this differently if she were your mom?

Truth is that most of us Nigerians are not familiar with terms like 'please,sorry and thank you' so its not like ur MIL is weird or just being difficult.Be courteous to her still.Kneeling while greeting is a MUST in some cultures,sorry if ur man never told u before now but as long as she is with u and u want peace in ur home,stoop to conquer.It wont make u less a woman.

Humor works,use it.Try to make friend of your MIL,ask her to tell u stories(your husbands teen days etc),she wud feel important and happily bore u with tales.

Finally when all is well,subtle but carefully start making preparations for her departure.

I love my mom and MIL to bits but aside for health reasons,none is coming over for more than 3 mths at a stretch
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by dasparrow: 10:27pm On Jan 19, 2012
festac77:

Wow, I hope that this is a warning to every self respecting woman not to marry a NIGERIAN man!! WTF! Can someone write a psych paper about this already. Same poo, different woman. The problem is Nigerian culture doesn't respect women, and treats married women like property.

I would have gone ballistic on the MIL, but that's just me (I actually did, but that's a whole 'nother post). I'm surprised more people didn't give you the standard response like Richvkunt did. This is the way many Nigerians are programmed to think, hence we don't question our leaders (I use the term leaders loosely), they can get away with bloody murder, we idolize greed and corruption and can't stand up for our rights.

My dear, you're going through psychological and emotional abuse. At the rate your MIL and husband are going, I won't be surprised if it turns physical. You're an equal contributor to the household and the mother of his kids. Why should a grown man be living with his mother? Am I the only one to see something pathological in this? Anyway, I won't preach; I will tell you that you need to put yourself first (cos they sure ain't), think about your wellbeing and your children's wellbeing. Don't let anyone threaten you (what the heck does Richvkunt mean by things could get unpleasant for you? Empty threats like the typical 'do you know who I am' demo that Nigerians do). Stand up for yourself, the longer you wait to do this the harder it will become.

You say your husband is spending more and more time with his mom, but I'm assuming that he still sleeps with you. How is he working up to that? Does he still romance you or just expect the ATM to be open 24/7. I'm asking, because part of what leads up to the big event is usually spending time together and being thoughtful, kind, etc,

Anyway, put on you big girl panties and deal with it, you'll be fine.

Well said Festac77. Nigeria = terrible culture, terrible people (for the most part). This is why God has long abandoned us as a country.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by pslm23(f): 12:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
@ Moderator, please move this to the Family Section or front page. This is an interesting topic that is affecting many women today.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:21pm On Jan 20, 2012
it serves the white woman right! doing all this cheap interracial marriages. i hope the mother-in-law makes a slave of her. angry cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by chocome: 8:08pm On Jun 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
it serves the white woman right! doing all this cheap interracial marriages. i hope the mother-in-law makes a slave of her. angry cheesy if you dont have any reasonable thing to contribute you better in and hung a transformer
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 7:10am On Aug 14, 2012
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your response to datę. I will try to answer most of your questions.
MIL had come to help look after kids but she seems to have done so much damage the kids are getting far too rough for my liking ie they are now barking at each other. No please, thank you. She burps soo loudly and speaks with food in her mouth, answers her mobile while having dinner (FORBIDDEN) wudnt dare do it when my husband is having dinner with us. It is soo embarrassing when we are out to social events or with my work mates and the kids do these habits they has picked up from her.

What Didnt help was that her arrival brought out the primitive side of my husband in that he too began to speak aggressively on top of watching niaja films from sunrise to sunset. And for those who know niaja films you will know that most of it is witchcraft, killing, fight fight fight. She has now found jerry springer and good god she watches it with my kids around.

I swear to god, i never knew that one person could watch tv so much. Ask her to read with kids Oh no!!! Tv tv tv.

I swear to god if she was a tad younger, i wud think she is not the mother, but my husband Nigerian wife. She wont eat unless he eating, she wont go to bed unless he going to bed. When going to bed, she has to pass my bedroom which when open she pass as if she sees no one but if hussy and I are there sitting she will say "goodnight". They watch football together. They do every striking thing together which means i have little time with hussy. We were meant go go to the cinema go wat h a nice one and guess what?he wanted to take her along. Of course i told him to go on alone with her. I def wudnt be doing this with my own mum cause our tastes are of different generation and era but she/he are Siamese twins.

Got so bad i was stressed and having palpitations and panic attacks when coming home from work. Was soo depressed i no longer wanted to come home. Was constantly getting ill and spending soo much time in my bedrooom. Guessed she loved that.

But a week ago, having begged my husband to try and take his head out of the sand, i flipped. I lost it. I loooost it. She is now out and staying with her daughter. Her daughter just got married to a guy from Gambia but i have just found out that he too had been complaining when MIL was visiting for 1 or 2 weeks. Imagine that When she is only at their place for one or 2 weeks when i put my foot down that I need a break. When i told the daughter how stressed i was, she too, like my husband getting uptight that I have married in the family and that this responsibility comes with Nigerian marriage.

I have been to the council and they are happy to give her a flat but no no. She dont want that. She either wants to stay with her kids or go back to niaja. She is about 65.

My husband is a bit hurt that I "insulted" his mother by telling her that "anyone with common sense wud use their head and send the kids back to bed when they are up too early instead of switching on tele" . But I dont flipping care. She has changed my kids with this bloody tele which i dont even watch much. bTW when i do choose to watch it, she just changes the channel from one film to the other without any courtesy.

I have had enough!!! She is now out and will only return for one or 2 days. Why the help she dont want a flat is beyond me. I mean, she cud be living 2 houses away but no.

Hussy now wants me to feel guilty that I dont wang her there but if he carries on, he too will have go go find somewhere.

My story
Leavinglon
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by ifyalways(f): 8:41am On Aug 14, 2012
What's going on here?

@OP, any updates?
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 9:55am On Aug 14, 2012
ifyalways: What's going on here?

@OP, any updates?
j

Dont know what is happening. Spent almost an hour typing up post and it keeps saying "post is hidden".??
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by ifyalways(f): 10:56am On Aug 14, 2012
leavinglon: j

Dont know what is happening. Spent almost an hour typing up post and it keeps saying "post is hidden".??

Sorry.I think its the spam bot.You can break and post in bits,the spam bot usually mark lengthy posts as spam. smiley
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Eiregirl(f): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
After giving this man 10 years of your life & 2 children . . . . how sad! sad
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 11:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
leavinglon: j

Show details

Another attempt at responding here. Using my phone so all technical issues are a bit tedious at the moment. Cant cut and paste smaller chunks as was suggested.

Thanks for all your response to datę. I will try to answer most of your questions. MIL had come to help look after kids but she seems to have done so much damage the kids are getting far too rough for my liking ie they are now barking at each other. No please, thank you. She burps soo loudly and speaks with food in her mouth, answers her mobile while having dinner (FORBIDDEN) wudnt dare do it when my husband is having dinner with us. It is soo embarrassing when we are out to social events or with my work mates and the kids do these habits they has picked up from her.

What Didnt help was that her arrival brought out the primitive side of my husband in that he too began to speak aggressively on top of watching niaja films from sunrise to sunset. And for those who know niaja films you will know that most of it is witchcraft, killing, fight fight fight. She has now found jerry springer and good god she watches it with my kids around.

I swear to god, i never knew that one person could watch tv so much. Ask her to read with kids Oh no!!! Tv tv tv.

I swear to god if she was a tad younger, i wud think she is not the mother, but my husband Nigerian wife. She wont eat unless he eating, she wont go to bed unless he going to bed. When going to bed, she has to pass my bedroom which when open she pass as if she sees no one but if hussy and I are there sitting she will say "goodnight". They watch football together. They do every striking thing together which means i have little time with hussy. We were meant to go to the cinema go watch a nice one and guess what?he wanted to take her along. Of course i told him to go on alone with her. I def wudnt be doing this with my own mum cause our tastes are of different generation and era but she/he are Siamese twins.

Got so bad i was stressed and having palpitations and panic attacks when coming home from work. Was soo depressed i no longer wanted to come home. Was constantly getting ill and spending soo much time in my bedrooom. Guessed she loved that.

But a week ago, having begged my husband to try and take his head out of the sand, i flipped. I lost it. I loooost it. She is now out and staying with her daughter. Her daughter just got married to a guy from Gambia but i have just found out that he too had been complaining when MIL was visiting for 1 or 2 weeks. Imagine that When she is only at their place for one or 2 weeks when i put my foot down that I need a break. When i told the daughter how stressed i was, she too, like my husband getting uptight that I have married in the family and that this responsibility comes with Nigerian marriage.

I have been to the council and they are happy to give her a flat but no no. She dont want that. She either wants to stay with her kids or go back to niaja. She is about 65.

My husband is a bit hurt that I "insulted" his mother by telling her that "anyone with common sense wud use their head and send the kids back to bed when they are up too early instead of switching on tele" . But I dont flipping care. She has changed my kids with this bloody tele which i dont even watch much. bTW when i do choose to watch it, she just changes the channel from one film to the other without any courtesy.

I have had enough!!! She is now out and will only return for one or 2 days. Why the help she dont want a flat is beyond me. I mean, she cud be living 2 houses away but no.

Hussy now wants me to feel guilty that I dont want her there but if he carries on, he too will be out.
My story....
Leavinlon
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 10:34am On Aug 15, 2012
ifyalways:

Sorry.I think its the spam bot.You can break and post in bits,the spam bot usually mark lengthy posts as spam. smiley

Just by chance, i checked my profile and found my most innocent post was banned. Can someone tell me why pyguru did that? There was no explanation for doing this which means that history kept repeating itself. I think it is absurd. How do i get it published cause at the moment it is hidden.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by leavinglon: 8:04am On Aug 17, 2012
leavinglon:

Just by chance, i checked my profile and found my most innocent post was banned. Can someone tell me why pyguru did that? There was no explanation for doing this which means that history kept repeating itself. I think it is absurd. How do i get it published cause at the moment it is hidden.

Finally unbanned. Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by Tedpgrass: 3:38pm On Aug 18, 2012
@ Leavinglon,

I sympathize with you.
However, some things need to be said.
Of all the advice given, Ifyalways' is the most practical.

I'll address some of your comments.

1) you married a culture n family when you married your husband, regardless of his previous declarations pre-marriage. This is evident given his return to "primitive" form.
Pls stop all this "I live in a certain culture or country and therefore immune to my.antecedent culture". Personally, if a lot of African wives in Diaspora stopped having this mindset, marital bliss might be easier to achieve.

2) hubby spending more time with his mum:
This can be quite tough to take on, but remember here is an OAP, if I'm allowed to use the word, who is used to being kept busy and amused by family members who take it upon themselves to visit regularly, having to keep herself busy with TV and other vagaries.... no wonder, she finds Jerry Springer amusing.

Hence her son, understanding the need to humour her, has decided to perform what is seen traditionally as a daughter-in-law role..... really covering up for your perceived indifference, and you're still moaning about it, yet again!!!!!!!!

Understanding her psychology and background may help you better relate to and with her. It's tough. Due to the pressures of life in your environment, this may seem an arduous task, but it yields fabulous results on the long term.

Ways of combating this may be a pictorial display of domestic rules.... similar to dinner rules. It's an indirect way of addressing issues such as TV time, times out for the family and times out for you and herself... where you treat her to special things..... Let it be known in a gentle way that this is your favour, not her son's undercover favour.

3) you NEVER NEVER backchat. Not to talk of insulting an In-Law, no matter how young they may be. In some yoruba families, you can't call by name, all the male children that predates your marriage. One finds herself calling a little boy, pre-teenager, uncle bla bla...... This is simply to provide examples of this respect thingy.

4) I read with distaste, your comments about husband being made redundant and potential resulting issues

Pls let me remind you, if I'm allowed:
The success or failure of your union lies in your hands. When I read comments like yours where there is an unexpected change of financial headship, due to circumstances, and the woman gloats as you have done, it bears strange forebodings.

If there is an unusual thing I have noticed in some Yorubas, It's the uncanny ability of the men to start families with other women no matter how broke-assed they may be.
Guess what?!!!! the other woman (women) is/are totally aware of the full situation in most cases.

Meaning ...... trying to crack the financial whip may only split the ship up.

Who suffers

You and your children

Not your hubby,.... got 1 or more women who may be better than you doing all the traditional things.... and will be inherently looked upon as a good wife by family.

Not your MIL, for reasons above

ps: for handles talking about ......her wasting 10 years: look at things from the husband's perspective...... is he at the same time, wondering if HE has wasted the same time too.

Morale is ........its a partnership that needs investment. This should not be seen as a waste.
You have no business getting married, if not prepared to invest and potentially waste that time or effort.

The above "thesis" is really to address the psychology on the matter and influence future decisions

Re: Nigerian Mother In Law Could Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage by ifyalways(f): 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
^love your post!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Andoni Forum (anyone)? / Dowry For Igbo Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.