Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,343 members, 7,860,880 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:55 PM

Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 (3223 Views)

Dino Malaye Writes About Obama In A Church / The Gift Jonathan Gave Obama In 2014 / PMB Seats Gallantly Besides Obama In The G7 Summit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by AChigozie1(f): 4:00am On Apr 24, 2011
EzeUche__:

The U.S. does not have strong civic pride when it comes to elections.

Either way, the elections were not rigged in the SS/SE. Buhari was not going to get any vote in the East, so who do you expect the Ndigbo and other Eastern minorities to vote for? Ribadu? I dey laugh o!

The U.S. does not have strong civic pride when it comes to elections.

Sadly, this is true, I vote in every election, as should every American citizen, especially Black people.  Our people have struggle and sacrificed too much for us to be so lackadaisical about it.  In the '10 midterms elections, only 44% of eligible voters bother to do so, if people would have voted, all the destructive policies trying to be enacted by the Republicans wouldn't be happening.  This coming Tuesday, we have a primary election for some city council seats and some Judgeships, because this is a primary and another off year election, I will be  shocked if Marion County achieves a 40% turnout.     

I want to point out that AAs overwhelmingly vote Democratic period.  Black Republicans aka sellouts/self-hating Negroes are a minority.  One would think AAs would be Republicans, we were in the past, after all it is the party of Lincoln, but after 1877 when federal troops were withdrawn from the South, all the gains made by Black people were drastically curtailed by racist and bitter white supremacists, they invented a Jim Crow to deny Black people our rights.  It wouldn't be until president Johnson signing the 1964 Voting Rights' Act, that are rights would be protected by law.  I say this because I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression, Black people didn't vote for President Obama just because he is Black, of course there was immense racial pride in his election, which increased voter turnout, but Democratic candidates always get the majority of the Black vote, and have done so since FDR.  In essence we are the based of the Democratic Party.     

Either way, the elections were not rigged in the SS/SE. Buhari was not going to get any vote in the East, so who do you expect the Ndigbo and other Eastern minorities to vote for? Ribadu? I dey laugh o!

Why wouldn't people vote for Ribadu?  Isn't he the anti-corruption guy?  I don't know much about him, but he seems like a sincere public servant.  All I know about Jonathan is that he has a PHD in zoology and he wears that ridiculous hat. undecided  
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 4:08am On Apr 24, 2011
aletheia:

^That is what I am saying because: Blacks are not equally distributed though out the 50 states, for example ranging from 0.4% in Maine to 65.8% in DC. Obviously we would expect higher Black voter turnout in the areas with higher concentrations of Blacks due to a "mass" effect.
Err? If blacks are 0.4% of the population of Maine, .3% of eligible voters in Maine, and .2% of the voters who ended up casting, then we can calculate turnout as 66.67%.

This statistics has nothing to do with the population of blacks in each state. It is a fraction, so doesn't care about how many are in each state.

I believe a similar factor was at play in the SE: Consider this eye-witness account:This indicates there was a community-wide consensus in favor of Jonathan in the SE (even included the CPC agents) similar to what obtained among the Black community for Obama. You have to understand the mentality of the oppressed, which is what is at play here.
I don't understand the connection. Yes, Blacks (Igbos) voted for Obama (Goodluck) overwhelmingly. Far more than non-Blacks (non-Igbos). But the question is, did black voters (Igbo voters) turn out at massively higher rates than white voters (non-Igbo voters)?

Overwhelming support doesn't equal 2X 3X the turnout rate. At least, from a quick comparison of black voters and white voters, that doesn't seem to be the case. Then came out at pretty similar rates.

I await the results of your investigation. smiley
Heh, probably won't happen today (if at all.) But if it does, I'll post it.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 4:12am On Apr 24, 2011
A.Chigozie:

Why wouldn't people vote for Ribadu?  Isn't he the anti-corruption guy?  I don't know much about him, but he seems like a sincere public servant.  All I know about Jonathan is that he has a PHD in zoology and he wears that ridiculous hat. undecided  
Very complicated stuff, hard to deal with in one post  undecided

Basically, Nigeria is a country where ethnic/tribal considerations matter more than anything else. Ribadu is a Fulani man and was running on the ACN ticket (ACN is considered by many Igbos a Yoruba party).

So for that reason, he'd not do well in Igboland.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by AChigozie1(f): 4:23am On Apr 24, 2011
Please know that here in the US, we have the electoral college, and the AA population varies from state to state, region to region.  We also have a winner takes all system, so if a candidate wins 50.1 percent of the vote, that candidate wins the election, the losing candidate and their party receives nothing.  Ex. Presidential, Gubernatorial and Mayoral races.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Rhino5dm: 4:30am On Apr 24, 2011
The reality of underage voting and election rigging in north the is very glaring. That said. I was on ground in SS and there was no such things as massive turnout and voting.  The election was very transparent is some isolated areas where media coverage is espected.

Those figure were cooked in the favour of their 'own'( putting it more rightfully) and you don't dare going against that as an observer.

majority of the names on the iNEC sheet were already ticked, with the aid of corpers and fellow INEC officials.

If you believe those figures then you will believe everything. Make your own sincere investigation from the locals.

The election was a total sham and farce in all ramafication. The bottom lines is was the election credible?? 

aletheia:

^This is a rather weak argument. I am sure you realize the youths were below the voting age of 18 years which is why they were not in the polling stations. Unless of course you assume that like Bauchi state; children vote in the south. I am sure you can do better than this.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 4:32am On Apr 24, 2011
Rhino,

Why wouldn't Ijaws have a massive vote for Jonathan? The massive turnout in Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers is very true. Of course Ijaws would come out in record numbers to vote for one of their own for the FIRST TIME.

So I advise you to be quiet, because no one believes you.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by bkbabe97y(m): 4:32am On Apr 24, 2011
A.Chigozie:

Please know that here in the US, we have the electoral college, and the AA population varies from state to state, region to region.  We also have a winner takes all system, so if a candidate wins 50.1 percent of the vote, that candidate wins the election, the losing candidate and their party receives nothing.  Ex. Presidential, Gubernatorial and Mayoral races.  

Listen dude, I know u trying to be all "Ibo" and stuff, but lemme break some things down for you.

The Ibos are the most despicable creatures in the whole of Africa (if not the world). I grew up amongst them so I know.

They embrace criminality and are prone to injustice. All those crimes you hear that "Nigerians" commit? Ibos!

Type in Google's search engine: "Nigerians killing their Wives in The United States" and what do u see? 20/21 times the culprit is an Ibo man that has violently sent his wife to the great beyond. Because of this, Ibos are Persona non grata in cities such as Dallas,TX (where they committed most of this gruesome spousal murders).

Cocaine, Heroin, Fraud. . . . thats their forte.

Google: Tochi killed in Singapore; Tobechi Onwuhara, Anajemba etc. . . . what do u see?

We all long to establish a link with Africa, but, I'll advice u to think thrice if the Ibo flag is what you intend on flying.

Finally, I'll advice you to avoid trying to befriend any of these Ibo dudes outside of NL. Dont adhere to my advice and ure sure to get burnt. Dont say I aint look out!
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 4:33am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 4:36am On Apr 24, 2011
A. Chigozie,

You may hear bad things about Igbos on Nairaland, but most of it is due to jealousy. You can trace this hate back to colonialism.

The Igbos were favored by the British unfortunately, and that translated to economic and educational dominance. Igbos dominated every sphere until the civil war.

It was the Biafran war which was the Igbo watershed moment, where we lost our prominence and have been demonized every since.

Remember that we have illustrious Igbos who are respected world wide. The illustrious Chinua Achebe is one of them.

Igbos are a good people and we cherish our culture and heritage. The politics section can pollute your mind. I am so proud of you for reconnecting with your Igbo roots.

The wise Igbo sage, Chinua Achebe.

Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 4:37am On Apr 24, 2011
aletheia is a good fellow, I think. He just hates Buhari and the CPC too much. I can understand his position. . . my guess is that he is a Plateau man. Thus his people are directly negatively affected by marauding Hausa-Fulanis.

For the same reason, I understand why GEJ's Igbo supporters are closing their eyes.

I just think their position is shortsighted; what is good for the goose (Buhari) is good for the gander (Rochas Okorocha.)
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Rhino5dm: 4:40am On Apr 24, 2011
^^^ I notice that ealier on.

I can only take side with the truth even going against my dad.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by irohadis: 4:42am On Apr 24, 2011
Racists and Bigots PLEASE stay out of this thread so that reasonable people can debate. BK_babe is scaring me and comes across as some blatant Igbo Hating NAZI or KKK extremist. Unfortunately this is the kind of racism he/she would run to the courts for if a white person presented it.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by bkbabe97y(m): 4:43am On Apr 24, 2011
irohadis:

Racists and Bigots PLEASE stay out of this thread so that reasonable people can debate. BK_babe is scaring me and comes across as some blatant Igbo Hating NAZI or KKK extremist. Unfortunately this is the kind of racism he/she would run to the courts for if a white person presented it.

Right, I'm a racist.

I induced the Ibo dudes in the link below or the incidents never happened?

http://mssaboh.com/NigerianWifeKillers.html
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 4:51am On Apr 24, 2011
Bk.babe reminds me of those Hutu extremist in Rwanda who were calling for innocent Tutsi blood. I see no difference between him and the Hutu extremist you find in The Hague.

An outsider can clearly see how we, the Noble Igbos have to deal with you rabid tribalist.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by irohadis: 4:53am On Apr 24, 2011
I knew people would contest the turnout even if there is a precedent for percentage of votes. However, non of us really have the data with which to base such dispute. The only way is to go to court and compel INEC to provide that data. It is completely within the opposition's legal right to do this. But before then the law says you are innocent until proven guilty. So it is presumptuous for us to conclude that the SE and SS turnout is flawed. There is no "stolen mandate" as CPC would like to claim until they come up with contradictory fact and not speculation. It is only convenient for them to write-off the SS and SE in their imagination and fantasise on how they could be winners without that geographical portion of our country. They need to do the hard work of providing compelling evidence before claiming that a mandate was stolen.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by aletheia(m): 5:43am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

He just hates Buhari and the CPC too much. I can understand his position. . . my guess is that he is a Plateau man.
^
I don't hate Buhari. On principle I am opposed to retired Military men and ex-coup plotters running our democracy. I opposed OBJ's candidacy in 1999. I am also opposed to those who subvert our constitution because they feel they have an entitlement to forever lord it over the rest of Nigerians. Buhari also has the added negative of being a very divisive figure based on his history and antecedents (selective justice in the 80s, selective PTF projects, comments on Sharia, leading a delegation Lam Adesina etc). Due to the nature of Nigeria; consensus building is required. Buhari cannot do that (witness the failure of the alliance with ACN - the only real chance he had of forcing a run-off). I would gladly have supported either Ribadu or Shekarau if they represented a real chance of preventing Buhari from stealing the Presidency.

I am from Kogi state, cheesy
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 24, 2011
Abeg, the election was rigged, not only in the SE, but especially in the SE.

Just dont try it again in 2015. It's the SW's turn
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 7:05am On Apr 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Abeg, the election was rigged, not only in the SE, but especially in the SE.

Just dont try it again in 2015. It's the SW's turn

And how do you know it was rigged in the SE? Igbos weren't going to support neither Ribadu or Buhari, so why wouldn't they support Goodluck Jonathan in such high numbers?

People are just upset that Igbos are just throwing around their political weight.

SE/SS = Unstoppable Force!

The SW cannot do it on its own. It will need either the Hausa or the Igbos help. None of the big three can do it alone.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Onlytruth(m): 7:54am On Apr 24, 2011
@Ezeuche,

I think that we (SE) and SS should create a permanent political alliance with the NC. That way, we can keep power in these three zones for as long as we want. cool

The SW is not trustworthy,and this election (in which they stayed at home than vote for even Ribadu of their own party ACN) proves this point clearly. They would NEVER vote for non-Yoruba, therefore,they must never be allowed again to rule.

SE, SS and NC are very trustworthy and stable. Voting as a block,we can always win presidential elections in Nigeria.

This is the biggest discovery of this year's presidential elections politics. cool
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Abagworo(m): 8:19am On Apr 24, 2011
@ezeuche.I am still marveled at your level of delusion.It is either you did not vote or you did not visit some polling units after election or you are deliberately lying.I voted Buhari in Port Harcourt even when they used hammer to break some peoples hand for thumbing CPC and I went round several polling units to have a first hand glance at the results.Jonathan won with up to 90% but the voter turn out was roughly 28 to 32%.

In a polling unit with an average of 2000 voters,the turnout was roughly 400 across Obio/Akpo,Port Harcourt,Oyigbo,Eleme and Ikwerre LGAs.I mentioned these places I have full knowledge of.There might be 100% turn out in other places but more than half of Rivers State live in those 5 areas.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 8:24am On Apr 24, 2011
Absolutely fine by me. If you want to freeze us out, another alliance can be made. One that contains most of the voting strength of the country.

Any way you want to play this game, we can do it. Just don't expect your fake turnout to be accepted in four years, and don't expect ours to be so low.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Onlytruth(m): 8:38am On Apr 24, 2011
^^

You can turn out all you want, you are not PDP remember? You are ACN.

Secondly,you are untrustworthy and selfish. You cannot (genetically speaking) vote for non-Yoruba.
Who will enter into political alliance with you? NE and NW?
They cannot trust you because you stabbed Ribadu in the back. undecided

Within the four years of GEJ presidency,we will consolidate our alliance with NC.
They are trustworthy. cool
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by FACE(m): 8:48am On Apr 24, 2011
Abagworo:

@ezeuche.I am still marveled at your level of delusion.It is either you did not vote or you did not visit some polling units after election or you are deliberately lying.I voted Buhari in Port Harcourt even when they used hammer to break some peoples hand for thumbing CPC and [b]I went round several polling units to have a first hand glance at the results.Jonathan won with up to 90% but the voter turn out was roughly 28 to 32%.

In a polling unit with an average of 2000 voters,the turnout was roughly 400 across Obio/Akpo,Port Harcourt,Oyigbo,Eleme and Ikwerre LGAs.I mentioned these places I have full knowledge of.[/b]There might be 100% turn out in other places but more than half of Rivers State live in those 5 areas.

You must be related to kobojunkie who is always in an all knowing situation. Were you an INEC official ? If you were able to leave your polling unit after voting to go inspect other units and LGA's (Classic Kobojunkie lie), what makes you think that others did not leave for home or were they expected to wait for your parade review ?

The average turnout in SE/SS was 67%. States like Kaduna and Bauchi had higher turn out than all SE states bar Imo State, so why do some people want to kill themselves over what they can't prove ?

In the absence of the statistics of the dead and indisposed, 100% turnout is possible. If an individual could decide to vote, what makes that individual to imagine that other people would decide to not participate in the election ?

All those crying should take the defeat of the candidates on the chin and move on.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 8:48am On Apr 24, 2011
Heh. So you really think that if the ACN had entered an alliance with the CPC and somehow the PDP had inflated turnout to win, that anyone would accept it?

That even the mumu internationals would? So that you can rig elections despite two of the three largest ethnic groups in Nigeria being against you. . . probably in truth 50+% of the population of this country (if you toss groups like Kanuri, Nupe, into the pot)? grin

If GEJ does that, then he will go out Laurent Gbagbo style.

Even just add up the votes that Ribadu and Buhari won (14.5 million or so.) Subtract off about 5 million or so fake votes in the SS and SE zone (leaving him with 17,18 million or so). And this is with abysmally low turnout in the SW. . . and you maximally rigging in the SS and SE.

Regarding NW and NE. . . they will have no choice, if they want to leave the opposition. In fact, in four years time, we should force them to accept the VP spot. And if they complain, we take another deal with the PDP.

Like I said, we can play this game however you want it. Either option is fine by me.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Nadanbata: 8:50am On Apr 24, 2011
@ Abagworo

Im starting to think the turnout in SS/SE was more like that in SW really (even though SW was rigged as well). That 37% in Edo tells a lot. Im not buying that crap about PDP governorship and mobilising. Or didnt they want to vote their 'boy' in EDO ? PDP governor is in Ogun 28% turnout ,

Let them jus do the forensic anaylsis in the whole country. The papers should be with INEC, so whats the problem of following up after this so called free + fair elections.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 8:56am On Apr 24, 2011
Truth be told, I'm not sure why I'm even arguing with you. I think you have in mind that you've entered an equal alliance with GEJ. On Tuesday, we'll see whether it is in fact an alliance or a master/slave relationship.

We at least (if I'm reading this ACN situation correctly, that is) are his allies. . . at least for now.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Onlytruth(m): 9:00am On Apr 24, 2011
@ekt-bear,

I asked you a  question which you avoided.
Who will enter into a political alliance with you when you only vote for yourself? NE?NW?

Mind you that those regions love power more than you. grin

Your backside was exposed in this election.

You have to be trustworthy to enter into political alliance.
You are effectively back to early 1960s position.

The nerve of you to make demands of NW and NE! undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Onlytruth(m): 9:03am On Apr 24, 2011
Fact remains that you did not vote for Jonathan. You simply stayed home.

So, who will trust you again?
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Nadanbata: 9:05am On Apr 24, 2011
@ Abagworo

Also see how late results came from SS/SE. Look how dense the state is comapred to some northen ones yet they where announcing before SS/SE. cheesy cheesy
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 9:08am On Apr 24, 2011
They have no choice. Trust or distrust is irrelevant.

Their only path to power is an alliance with the SW.

No alliance with the SW, GEJ wins again. Fine by me. Good governance in most of the SW is all I need.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Onlytruth(m): 9:11am On Apr 24, 2011
Apart from SS, the biggest winners in this presidential elections is SE because we proved that:

(1) We can vote en-block for one candidate

(2) We can vote en-block for a non-SE candidate

Armed with those two solid weapons, we can enter into agreements with NC and SS for presidential politics in Nigeria. cool
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Nadanbata: 9:13am On Apr 24, 2011
@ ekt_bear

Should there be no alliance, then in 2019 itll be a Northener that will be rigged in by PDP to mismanage the country. Cant Zap wit 80% Kano turnout 90% PDP  cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Recruiter Arrested In Maiduguri / Breaking News: President Goodluck Jonathan Set To Quit; His Resignation Speech L / Rivers Group Scolds Amaechi Over His Comment That Gej Only Developed Biafrans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.