Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,396 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours (18644 Views)

Kashamu Apologises To Neighbours, Commends Media / CAN Honours President Jonathan For Outstanding Xtian Humility In Service - Photo / Its A Disgrace For Neighbours To Join Boko Haram Fight - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by overhyped: 4:16am On Apr 24, 2011
Kindly read the attached news item culled from 234next. Thanks

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5692188-146/story.csp
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Obiagu1(m): 4:39am On Apr 24, 2011
What a man! God will bless him and his family.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Obiagu1(m): 4:40am On Apr 24, 2011
As the rampaging youth pursued the woman into the street, men dragged their wives and children inside and locked their doors. The rioters finally caught up with the screaming woman and began to beat her; they tore up her clothes and pushed her to the ground. Then they raised her up again and were dragging her off when a slightly built man in caftan and skull cap approached, shouting at them to stop, his arms flailing. Men looked out from inside their rooms in amazement.

"They said later that they thought I was out of my mind, approaching these boys, all drugged on something, carrying petrol and burning down buildings," said Adamu Bologi.

Mr. Bologi himself had not thought of the consequences of his action. He dragged the woman away from the boys and took her to a nearby mosque, hiding her by a side entrance through which the Ladan usually enters. Of course, he made sure she took off her shoes first.

When he came out, he saw another harassed woman running with two children, stumbling along the road. Her husband is the pastor of a church, the Conqueror's House, around the same area where the Christian Corpers Lodge and a church were burnt last Monday in Minna.

Mr Bologi looked around him. There was no one else apart from the rioters in the street.

"It was suddenly like midnight," he said. "The whole place was so quiet, not even a child could be heard, although it was just about 2pm. The world seemed empty and these boys were in charge."

He saw smoke from a burning church behind the crying woman on the opposite street; he saw some other miscreants approach; and he saw that soon she would run into them. Mr Bologi ran towards her and took one of the children. He tried to lead her to his house, but she was inconsolable.

"She kept screaming about her husband, saying, ‘They are too many. They are beating him, please help him before they kill him.' She finally agreed to follow me home after I promised to go for the pastor afterward."

After he took her home, where another victim he took there earlier was already settled, watching a movie, he went back to check on the pastor but the place was unapproachable. The boys were breaking windows, destroying the building and stealing church equipment. How to approach such a scene?

Mr Bologi said the pastor fought valiantly; there was blood on his hands where he kept blocking the blows from the cutlass wielded by one of the boys as the rest hit him with hockey sticks. The whole place was full of smoke.

"I was alone," said Mr Bologi. "There was no way I could handle those boys. I had no stick, no knife, nothing."

Suddenly, someone pointed at him, asking where the woman was and some in the gang began to spread around to look for her.

"So I went back to look after my family and the woman. But when she saw me she started screaming about her husband again, asking me if he was dead already, begging me to help him. So I got out again."

But by the time he went back, the pastor was no longer there. The boys were still screaming, still stealing, still vandalising but there was nothing he could do. He went past the church searching for the pastor. The streets were deserted save for the urchins, and he was about to return home when he saw a man walking through some kind of haze.

"He had obviously been looking for his family," said Mr Bologi. "When I approached him, he stood there with bandaged hands, still defiant. ‘Are you the pastor of the burnt church?' I asked. He said, ‘So what if I am?' So I told him his family was in my home and that I could take him to them."

But that took a while because Mr Bologi couldn't just walk the bleeding pastor to his home - they would be seen. So they devised a way to get to the house by indirection, going sideways, like a crab's walk.

"When the woman saw her husband, I have never seen such joy," he said.

There was a police barracks near the place, perhaps 300 metres away. Mr Bologi told the pastor that soon the boys would come to look for him there and he won't be able to stop them, alone. He had to get them to the barracks; the pastor's family, and the woman he had ensconced in the mosque. On the way, they heard sirens, a vehicle filled with policemen approached and the motley crew of victims and their surrogate looked up in hope, but the policemen were on their way to the governor's residence nearby.

When Mr Bologi returned from the barracks, he saw that the boys have all gathered by his house.

"I thought, ‘well, this is it.' The only thing standing between me and harm was my long dress," he said.

They were not after him, however.

"There is a building opposite where I stay and the whole people there are Ibos. The boys were attacking the place. They were breaking the windows, television, everything," he said.

The example to follow

Earlier on, the people had met Mr Bologi to seek permission to move into his compound, but there were too many of them.

"I suggested they all move to the police barracks and I followed them there to scout the road. They had to wait at the junction while I checked if the boys were around," he said.

When he saw that their rooms were under attack, Mr Bologi again pleaded with the boys to move on, that there was no one there. They ignored him. By this time, his brave efforts and constant imprecations had brought four other men from their homes and they helped in urging the boys to desist.

"That was when this man came running out of his room and they caught him. They began to beat him up but we went closer. We were shouting, ‘don't kill him, don't kill him.' They said they would kill him unless he said, ‘Laila la'ilallah.'

"The man tried, but he couldn't say the words. I told them this was unIslamic and they got more angry, accusing me of conniving with unbelievers, threatening me.

"It was during this back and forth that one of those wielding a machete went behind and hit the man on the neck, leaving a wide gash as the man crumbled to the floor, "

At this point in his narration, Mr Bologi's voice crumbled, and he couldn't go on. His eyes misted over.

"It is not right," he said. "It is not right to do that to another human being, and no religion I know permits such a thing. No religion says that for no reason you can machete an innocent man."

I asked Mr Bologi what happened after this.

"I started crying," he said.

"It was all too much. I saw the blow and for a second, the collar-bones were all white and then the blood started gushing. I became so weak."

When he rallied, Mr Bologi had attempted to push the man into the Mosque but the boys stopped him. So he dragged the man to his house.

"There was all this blood and my wife wasn't finding it funny. She said, "What are you doing? You bring some and you take them out and you go and bring others?"

So why did Mr Bologi, a young librarian at the state newspaper house, Newsline, a man without any obvious physical strength stand up to over 30 vicious young men, holding clubs and machetes?

"I kept remembering the prophet, Mohammed," he said. "He urged us to live our lives in such a way that other people would come to admire our way of life and become Muslims themselves. Is anyone going to become a Muslim with the kind of violence shown by those boys?"

And why did the rioters not learn the same lesson?

"They are mostly boys, you know, without families, without the kind of home training we got. Many of them are twelve, fourteen and fifteen-year-olds."

Afterward, Mr Bologi and some other neighbours, mostly Muslims, joined hands to put out the fires in the churches and to take all the injured to the hospital. Mr. Bologi still looked exhausted the day after.

"I kept thinking of the prophet," he said. "One day some men came to kill him and failed. As they fled, the prophet noticed that they were going in the direction of his more militant supporters, Saidi na Ali and such. So, he told them not to go that way, to avoid the route because they might get themselves killed. He helped them make good their escape. That is my example. That should be our example as Muslims."
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by aljharem(m): 4:41am On Apr 24, 2011
this should be on the front page after so many hate thread for northerners
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by EzeUche3(m): 4:42am On Apr 24, 2011
God bless that man for standing up for that poor woman.

At least there is a shred of humanity in some people in this world.

Even though I still want this nation to split, I have nothing but respect for this man. The same cannot be said of those rampaging youth who would did all kinds of things to that woman.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by EzeUche3(m): 4:44am On Apr 24, 2011
Deleted
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by ektbear: 4:46am On Apr 24, 2011
Very touching story.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by pleep(m): 5:30am On Apr 24, 2011
There is a real Muslim.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by aljharem(m): 5:51am On Apr 24, 2011
good man as well
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Ystranger: 5:54am On Apr 24, 2011
EzeUche__:

If you read the article, you would see that these monsters were after innocent Igbos as well. Igbos definitely need to come home and stop pursuing money in the North. Learn to survive in your homeland, where you will not be targeted.

They killed that poor man in cold blood, because he could not say, ‘Laila la'ilallah.

Reading things like this make me want to cry.

Everything is not about Igbos doofus.

lipsrsealed
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Nobody: 6:52am On Apr 24, 2011
Not all Hausas are bad.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by EzeUche3(m): 7:09am On Apr 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Not all Hausas are bad.

Yes, not all Hausa are bad. I have met good Hausa from Togo, Benin and Ghana. They are different from the ones found in Nigeria.

However, this man needs to be commended. But I still do not want to be in a country with them.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Knight1(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2011
and next couldn't give a picture of the man? well, maybe security reasons sha.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by 9ja4eva: 7:21am On Apr 24, 2011
God bless him
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Jarus(m): 7:33am On Apr 24, 2011
Thank you Mr Bologi. At a time when some Muslims have damaged the image of our religion, I find it comforting that some sane people still exist in our midst.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by dustydee: 8:05am On Apr 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Not all Hausas are bad.

He's not a hausa man, he's nupe (Bologi means beautiful in Nupe) Hausas in Niger state are mainly settlers and are threatening to take over the state from native Nupes and Gwaris.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Ystranger: 8:20am On Apr 24, 2011
^^^^

[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]

Nigeria 101!
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Ystranger: 8:23am On Apr 24, 2011
EzeUche__:

Yes, not all Hausa are bad. I have met good Hausa from Togo, Benin and Ghana. They are different from the ones found in Nigeria.

However, this man needs to be commended. But I still do not want to be in a country with them.

dustydee:

He's not a hausa man, he's nupe (Bologi means beautiful in Nupe) Hausas in Niger state are mainly settlers and are threatening to take over the state from native Nupes and Gwaris.

Ezeuche, please learn about Nigeria before you start mouthing off anyhow.
I know you mean well, but you always come off as a senseless blabbing child who cant shut the eff up.

Atleast, keep quiet so sensible people can contribute
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by kcjazz(m): 8:28am On Apr 24, 2011
Very commendable effort. And yes not all Hausa's and Muslims are bad.

EzeUche__:

If you read the article, you would see that these monsters were after innocent Igbos as well. Igbos definitely need to come home and stop pursuing money in the North. Learn to survive in your homeland, where you will not be targeted.

They killed that poor man in cold blood, because he could not say, ‘Laila la'ilallah.

Reading things like this make me want to cry.

How does this help this thread?  undecided No be hustle you dey do for America abi you be missionary
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Ystranger: 8:35am On Apr 24, 2011
^^^

Dont mind the doofus.

He is very immature. A fool at 23 is a fool forever.

I dont think he works. He is a student 24/7 courtesy of stolen money.

What a bastarddddd Ezeuche is!
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by CrudeOil2(m): 8:41am On Apr 24, 2011
dustydee:

exactly
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Rhino5dm: 8:47am On Apr 24, 2011
Respecta!

No mind the stvpid mooron. Miserable eediot living in the projects and waiting for food stamp.

kcjazz:

Very commendable effort. And yes not all Hausa's and Muslims are bad.

How does this help this thread? undecided No be hustle you dey do for America abi you be missionary

Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by ektbear: 8:51am On Apr 24, 2011
lol, EzeUche got owned grin

Pele o tongue
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by dayokanu(m): 9:03am On Apr 24, 2011
Youching
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by xterra2(m): 10:03am On Apr 24, 2011
pleep:

There is a real Muslim.

Blesss you
The people causing trouble are fake muslims
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by dempeople(m): 11:04am On Apr 24, 2011
Good article. Its nice that the muslim man helped but compare and contrast this article with this one :

http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/features/3934-almajiris-turned-against-pastor-who-haboured-them-and-burnt-down-his-house.html

The fundamental difference here is that unlike the people whom the muslim man helped, the almajiris (in the article provided by the link) turned out to pay the pastor with evil. A man who fed and sheltered them, turned out to be their target as they burned down his house. Another pastor (Pastor Semande) was attacked by people whom he had been living with as neighbours for 30years. Can you imagine??!!!!!!!!!

Did the rescued Christian victims by the muslim, turn out to attack him and his properties? NO.

But these muslim almajiris turned out to attack a pastor who found it worthy to save lives and was yet paid back evil by the same people who he tried to help.

Something must be done to put an end to all these violence and, I'm talking about the long term here.Whether we like it or not, there'll be more bloodshed unless the FG address the structure of this nation to try and prevent such wanton attacks on lives and properties. I don't know what is in Islam that makes people seem mad and fanatical atimes. I really don't know. There's something about that religion that makes it easily interpreted into violence.

And please don't give me an excuse of 'the un-educated seem to be easily prone to violence" afterall here in UK, most of the terrorist activities - whether planned or carried-out, have been done by well educated muslims . . . . some medical doctors or even Phd holders among them.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by seanet02: 11:58am On Apr 24, 2011
God bless him
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by aljharem(m): 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2011
this is one good muslim that has represented us good

majority of true muslims are like this.

i urge my other muslim brothers and sisters to follow the foot steps of this man and not to be caught in this madness this people are doing.

أن الله معكم جميعا

God be with you all
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Kenezi: 12:37pm On Apr 24, 2011
Good man.

Too bad the majority of muslims support "Education is a Sin" and Al Queda.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by gaussy(m): 12:55pm On Apr 24, 2011
“Inna Rahmata Allahi Qareebum Minal Muhsineen.”
“Verily, the Mercy of Allah is close to the doers of good.”

dem_people:

And please don't give me an excuse of 'the un-educated seem to be easily prone to violence" afterall here in UK, most of the terrorist activities - whether planned or carried-out, have been done by well educated muslims . . . . some medical doctors or even Phd holders among them.
There are extremist in every religion and tribe and as such the religion would not be blamed in its entirety, Hitler sort to pronounce the genocide of the Jews under the pretense of religion
No muslim and i repeat no Muslim who is learned and know his religion would the use of violence in any form. Muhammad the Prophet of Islam lived in the same community with Jews and Christians with everyone practicing their religion amicably
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by chidyke77(m): 1:52pm On Apr 24, 2011
overhyped:

Kindly read the attached news item culled from 234next. Thanks

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5692188-146/story.csp
a good person is always good irrespective of religious belief or tribe. that all these things are happening in the north doesn't mean that every muslim northerner is bad.
Re: A Muslim Who Risk All To Save His Xtian Neighbours by Kenyy: 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2011
While felicitating with my brother for his brave conduct, I would like to assert that Nigeria would be a better and unitied country if the Government(Federal, State and Local) respect the 1999 Constitution and stop the Sponsorship of any Religion. Why should the  goverment budget billions of Naira and kill economic days in the name of Public Holiday for private and personal religious activities even when records have showed that 60% of Nigeria Problems are traceable to Religion? Government Adoption of Two Religions as State Religions is remotely,directly, partly and wholly  responsible  for all these Violence as one religion is trying to claim supremacy over the other. Besides, never in history of Violence in Nigeria(North & South) has it ever been reported that the house of a Humanist and Allied Believer has been burnt or vandalised. So why sacrificing for Religions that Have Done More Harms Than Good?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Zahra Buhari Receives Over 10,000 Marriage Proposal In Less Than 18 Hours(Photo) / Zamfara State Earmarks N7 Billion For New Government House / Oil Workers Must Show Covid-19 Results Before Entering Rivers – Governor Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.