Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) (282 Views)

I Am In A Dilemma, Please Help! / Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by nnapal(m): 9:00pm On May 01, 2021
I have a big decision to make. l didn't finish secondary school in time. I was close to 21 years when I finished secondary school. When I was registering my waec, my elder brother asked me to reduce my age. I wasn't cool with that but my brother who had always found way to emotionally make me feel too old for my level insisted that I did it. He was telling me then that people my age were already in their penultimate year in university. He himself finished university early as he didn't have a pause in his schooling unlike me. I am intelligent and have been liked by my school teachers.

I asked my mother for advice, she was against it, but in the end I listened to my brother. He did court affidavit for me, and I had to visit national population commission for birth certificate. Since then I have been consistent in making my info bear this my reduced age.

No day has passed since after that changing I have not been haunted by it. I kept using this age, and the further I went the harder it was becoming for me to revert to my real age. I graduated 2019 and had finished youth service with the certificate bearing this false age. I'm 29 now, and 27 years with my reduced age. He wanted me to reduce to 5 years younger but I could only settle for 2 years less.

A strong craving to revert to the original age came back recently, I started making steps but was afraid it might hurt my chances. Not in terms of jobs, but being admitted for masters program abroad. I had taken some steps to going back to my real age but it has not been encouraging. My university register told me that I couldn't possibly pull that off, unless my waec and Jamb have that my real age and I could possibly prove it was a mistake. He told me I have to live with it. I wanted to do age correction in my NIN but I was told that I would pay #15k through remitta. I had already searched for the cost of correcting age in my waec but it's tedious and costly.

My monthly earning now is not up to 30k and I'm not even sure if I could get all the data to my correct age.

I'm contemplating whether to go through with this as that would make me so happy, or continue with this consistent false age(the same age with my immediate younger brother). My birth certificate now has that I was born in one eastern state, my state of origin; instead of Lagos. Deleting this part of my history worries me. Similarly, I want my 30th birthday to be special and for me to proudly announce that I reached 30 years. I need advice on this.

For my elder brother, he is a strong believer and much more mature now, he supports my effort to revert to my original age.
Thanks.
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by Pochettino(f): 9:02pm On May 01, 2021
You are 30, earning less than 30k yet you want to 'celebrate your 30th birthday & proudly announce it'?? shocked shocked

Father Lord, any attempts by the Enemy to foist foolish children on us be destroyed in Jesus name!!

3 Likes

Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by Righteousness2(m): 9:07pm On May 01, 2021
Do the Needful Bro!
Having a Peace of mind is Priceless!
Most Important is for Your Eternity..
Nothing here in Earth is worth trading your Eternity in Heaven for.
Do all you can to correct it
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by nnapal(m): 9:09pm On May 01, 2021
Pochettino:
You are 30, earning less than 30k yet you want to 'celebrate your 30th birthday & proudly announce it'?? shocked shocked

Father Lord, any attempts by the Enemy to foist foolish children on us be destroyed in Jesus name!!
I do not see the world the same way as you. I have some accomplishments which I can be proud of.
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by Pochettino(f): 9:12pm On May 01, 2021
nnapal:

[s]I do not see the world the same way as you. I have some accomplishments which I can be proud of.[/s]

List them. Mr. Accomplished.
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by nnapal(m): 9:32pm On May 01, 2021
Pochettino:

List them. Mr. Accomplished.
Like paying for my own school fees and still managed to finish with a good grade. If you had benefactor during your school time, you hardly appreciate how lucky you are. I'm climbing one step at a time, and first I need to resolve these inconsistencies.

1 Like

Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by Pochettino(f): 9:35pm On May 01, 2021
nnapal:

[s]Like paying for my own school fees and still managed to finish with a good grade. If you had benefactor during your school time, you hardly appreciate how lucky you are. I'm climbing one step at a time, and first I need to resolve these inconsistencies.[/s]
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by benjanjo1: 9:35pm On May 01, 2021
nnapal:
I have a big decision to make. l didn't finish secondary school in time. I was close to 21 years when I finished secondary school. When I was registering my waec, my elder brother asked me to reduce my age. I wasn't cool with that but my brother who had always found way to emotionally make me feel too old for my level insisted that I did it. He was telling me then that people my age were already in their penultimate year in university. He himself finished university early as he didn't have a pause in his schooling unlike me. I am intelligent and have been liked by my school teachers.

I asked my mother for advice, she was against it, but in the end I listened to my brother. He did court affidavit for me, and I had to visit national population commission for birth certificate. Since then I have been consistent in making my info bear this my reduced age.

No day has passed since after that changing I have not been haunted by it. I kept using this age, and the further I went the harder it was becoming for me to revert to my real age. I graduated 2019 and had finished youth service with the certificate bearing this false age. I'm 29 now, and 27 years with my reduced age. He wanted me to reduce to 5 years younger but I could only settle for 2 years less.

A strong craving to revert to the original age came back recently, I started making steps but was afraid it might hurt my chances. Not in terms of jobs, but being admitted for masters program abroad. I had taken some steps to going back to my real age but it has not been encouraging. My university register told me that I couldn't possibly pull that off, unless my waec and Jamb have that my real age and I could possibly prove it was a mistake. He told me I have to live with it. I wanted to do age correction in my NIN but I was told that I would pay #15k through remitta. I had already searched for the cost of correcting age in my waec but it's tedious and costly.

My monthly earning now is not up to 30k and I'm not even sure if I could get all the data to my correct age.

I'm contemplating whether to go through with this as that would make me so happy, or continue with this consistent false age(the same age with my immediate younger brother). My birth certificate now has that I was born in one eastern state, my state of origin; instead of Lagos. Deleting this part of my history worries me. Similarly, I want my 30th birthday to be special and for me to proudly announce that I reached 30 years. I need advice on this.

For my elder brother, he is a strong believer and much more mature now, he supports my effort to revert to my original age.
Thanks.

bros! continue the lie till the day you die!

A couple of years back, I was in the same position that you were in. I had the same opportunity to permanently alter my age on all official documents. Guess what?! I turned the offer down! Sure, I looked like a fool at the time as my friend quickly altered her age without a second thought.

The thing with integrity is that once you take a decision that will bring your integrity into question, you must not only be willing to follow it through till the very end, you must also be willing to maintain the appearance of innocence and impeccable character in the presence of scrutiny as long as you can.

Please, perish the thought of reverting back to your real age. It will only cause more harm than good at this stage of your existence on earth. The funny thing about this is that the official documents that can be used for verification have the false age on it. Nobody will question the veracity of the information you present. Put it behind you! After all, age is just a number. wink

PS: Your first school leaving certificate and the dates within which you attended nursery/primary school can be used to extrapolate your real age. You were smart to minus only two years off your age from the beginning. smiley
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by Brandonx(m): 9:42pm On May 01, 2021
Well changing it might make your certificates useless and trust me you don't want that.

The deed has been done already.

I once had a senior colleague years back he retired at 70 or so but he was way older than 70 then.

If your certificates, passport all have this current age then why are you making yourself go through unnecessary stress? undecided

Let me even shock you. Some of us our passports have different name from our bank accounts and we've been living just fine.
Re: Dilemma Of Reverting To My Correct Age(Advice needed) by nnapal(m): 9:46pm On May 01, 2021
Brandonx:
Well changing it might make your certificates useless and trust me you don't want that.

The deed has been done already.

I once had a senior colleague years back he retired at 70 or so but he was way older than 70 then.

If your certificates, passport all have this current age then why are you making yourself go through unnecessary stress? undecided

Let me even shock you. Some of us our passports have different name from our bank accounts and we've been living just fine.
I want to apply for passport. That's the reason I want to do it now, so as not to propagate the mistake any further. Moreso, my baptism card have the real age. Won't this be a problem in the future?

(1) (Reply)

AVG Support Phone Number +1(808)—800—0243 ™☏ King☏|avg "Toll Free" Phone Number / Digital Skill / Urgent Vancancy In The Financial Sector Of The Economic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.