Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,936 members, 7,838,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? (1554 Views)

National Assembly To Buhari: Drop N500b Intervention Fund From Budget 2016 / Group Supplies ICC With Evidence Linking Buhari To 2011 Post-election Violence / Imo Assembly To Impeach Deputy Governor Over N458m Contract Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by petme: 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2011
Just read in the Punch newspaper(24/04/11) that Nass is planning to review NYSC scheme and i think this is one opportunity that all serving/prospecting corp members who think otherwise of the intentions of the programme should not miss.
I am a serving corp member and in my view i think the scheme should be scrapped because it is obvious that the essence has been lost long time ago.

Most serving corp members or those who have served will agree with me that the scheme is just for the benefit of a few corrupt politicians/officials who see it as a means of enriching themselves. Also, it is now a known fact that we are likely to record more deaths of graduates during the NYSC period than during any other time. A most unfortunate thing!

what is the point?

The point is that since NASS has decided to take up the matter, the corpers themselves who are directly involved should arise to the occassion. This is the time for us to mobilize ourselves, march to the national assembly to support them and also to let the whole world know what our grievances are. Let us use all available resources at our disposal, all media, social networks, to register our concerns.we are the future of tomorrow truly but we are also the voice of today. We should not allow a few selfless individual who know noting about our grieve, our emotions and our plight dictate to us how we intend to live our future. who says what happened in Egypt, Tunisuia, and all those Arab countries cannot happen here in Nigeria. It is just a matter of organization and unity.

I therefore make this clarion call to all youth corpers who share my view and who has one unfortunate story to tell about NYSC to come together, collate our stories together and fix a date when we shall make that revolutionary march to the national assembly and tell the whole world our stories.
Just like GEJ said, Enough is Enough!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by petme: 5:12pm On Apr 24, 2011
This is to all those corp members and well meaning Nigerians who feel something urgent should be done about this time-waster and death-trap scheme called Nysc.

In respect of the post above, I welcome all possible advice and strategies that can be used to make sure that our voice is heard.
Something need to be done and it must be urgent, hence the call for contributions on how this revolution can be achieved.

These are my own suggestions, though rudimentary but I welcome advice, criticism and other more revolutionary ideas and suggestions.

1. that a protest march should be organized to the National Assembly.
2.The protest march will primarily involve all those corpers presently serving in Abuja to reduce cost but others from other state can join.
3.The date should be after the election but before swearing-in-ceremony.
4. We the Nigerian student/youth should draw up list of demands that must be met before the continuity of the scheme if it will not be totally scrapped.
5 A committee can be set up to do No 4 task and paste it here on NL for all to criticize.
6. Pending the time the protest march will be organized, all institution of higher learning should be reached and all prospecting corp members for the next batch should be warned not to pick up their call up letter until everyone is satisfied with the scheme.
7. facts and figures that will show the whole world that the scheme is a waste of national health should be posted e.g imagine the fact that each corper outfit cost N70,000. I mean just one outfit o!
8. That Nairalanders and every concerned Nigerian who know who we can get across to that will support our cause should let us know.

Mind you this is just what i can think of now but like i mentioned earlier, all forms of advices, criticism and suggestion are welcome as long as they further this course.

Please do not let us keep silent about this issue and watch this opportunity to do something slip away. I am just a common Nigerian who feel something need to be done and it must be done now!

for all those who feel the same way as I do and who have suggestions on how this can be achieved, this is my email: smartguy0995@yahoo.com .
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by contracult: 2:59am On Apr 25, 2011
My dear,
This is a good start o, but you also need to mobilize the corpers on the ground. Start to lobby them to want to march, at least to their state houses of assembly so that people can know that they are serious. Discussing it here is not good enough without
a) a good number of corpers on board
b) a date, time and venue for the march.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by mcnepow(m): 6:36am On Apr 25, 2011
A nice move in the right direction!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 25, 2011
It is either it's scrapped or corpers are posted with their geo-political zones.Southerners cannot continue to killed by the northerners .
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by zstranger: 7:20am On Apr 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

It is either it's scrapped or[b] corpers are posted with their geo-political zones.[/b]Southerners cannot continue to killed by the northerners .

That is not an option!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Rhino5dm: 7:29am On Apr 25, 2011
The way forward. . .

Let the graduates attend the three weeks military training in any location(since they in camps), after which the total monetary benefits should be given to them in bulk as a take of grant.

No more killing!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 25, 2011
zstranger:

That is not an option!

So what is the next option ? Leave southerners to die like christmas chicken in the north ? The deal is let southerners serve within the 3 southern geopolitical zones while the northerners also can serve within their own 3 geopolitical zones.That is the only to protect southerners from attacks that is if the scheme is still being retained.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by onyengbu: 7:37am On Apr 25, 2011
Hello?!!!

Did u say u r a serving corps member? Abeg, if u r, leave that march for others because it is against NYSC bye laws to march/protest or anything of such.
Abeg find ur nysc bye laws and read it again. I read mine then.
Meanwhile, its a good idea u got there.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by zstranger: 7:41am On Apr 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So what is the next option ? Leave southerners to die like christmas chicken in the north ? The deal is let southerners serve within the 3 southern geopolitical zones while the northerners also can serve within their own 3 geopolitical zones.That is the only to protect southerners from attacks that is if the scheme is still being retained.

This is the real world genius. Every job is risky. Truck drivers die on our roads all the time, without anyone making noise. Police brutality nko on our 'iya alakaras,' 'iya n boli' etc. The point  here is that, when you look at the big picture and the ratio of those killed to not-killed, it is still a very very safe job, compared to truck driving, flying, politicis-ing etc. The solution is to improve security throughout the country. Improved security for us all, including security from police brutality, from rampaging almanjiris, from Bakassi boys, from OPC, from cult members on our campuses, from area boys on our streets.

That is the only solution. The AG of the federation was killed, till this day, we dont know what happened. The NURTW chairman in Ibadan was killed a few months ago, we still havent heard anything about it. Funsho Williams nko, etc.

The only solution is to improve security by training our police officers better, equiping them more adequately, and improving their welfare and professionalism. That is, pending when we can improve our economy and provide jobs for all that are willing to work

We should also do something about the justice system.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Myfanwy(f): 7:50am On Apr 25, 2011
Not soon enough. Sad that it had to take the slaughter of so many of them for the NASS to come to this realization sad
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 25, 2011
zstranger:

This is the real world genius. Every job is risky. Truck drivers die on our roads all the time, without anyone making noise. Police brutality nko on our 'iya alakaras,' 'iya n boli' etc. The point  here is that, when you look at the big picture and the ratio of those killed to not-killed, it is still a very very safe job, compared to truck driving, flying, politicis-ing etc. The solution is to improve security throughout the country. Improved security for us all, including security from police brutality, from rampaging almanjiris, from Bakassi boys, from OPC, from cult members on our campuses, from area boys on our streets.

That is the only solution. The AG of the federation was killed, till this day, we dont know what happened. The NURTW chairman in Ibadan was killed a few months ago, we still havent heard anything about it. Funsho Williams nko, etc.

The only solution is to improve security by training our police officers better, equiping them more adequately, and improving their welfare. That is, pending when we can improve our economy and provide jobs for all that are willing to work

We should also do something about the justice system.

Will all these stop the almajiris from unleashing attacks on southerners when next there is a crisis in the north ?
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by zstranger: 7:56am On Apr 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Will all these stop the almajiris from unleashing attacks on southerners when next there is a crisis in the north ?

Yes.

If there is adequate security.

We know this would happen, there was adequate intelligence, but GEJ and his goons just did not plan adequately for it. Scrapping the NYSC scheme will not help, it would make the situation worse in the long-run.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 25, 2011
zstranger:

Yes.

If there is adequate security.

We know this would happen, there was adequate intelligence, but GEJ and his goons just did not plan adequately for it. Scrapping the NYSC scheme will not help, it would make the situation worse in the long-run.

The Northern extremists want to islamize the south but they are adopting a violence means even though they have not been able to expand their campaign across their Northern domain,they see the north as a place where southerners especially christains should not pollute which is why they burn churches whenever there is crisis.
What I'm saying is that there is a bigger problem of ideology in the north which security or no security cannot even address.what an hausa man wants is for his land to be free from infidels and which is just a misconception by them to achieve their political agendas.if not,why do southerners have to die because a buhari lost election ? It show an escalation of an already accumulated grievances.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by zstranger: 8:15am On Apr 25, 2011
^^^
~Bluetooth:

The Northern extremists want to islamize the south but they are adopting a violence means even though they have not been able to expand their campaign across their Northern domain,they see the north as a place where southerners especially christains should not pollute which is why they burn churches whenever there is crisis.
What I'm saying is that there is a bigger problem of ideology in the north which security or no security cannot even address.what an hausa man wants is for his land to be free from infidels and which is just a misconception by them to achieve their political agendas.if not,why do southerners have to die because a buhari lost election ? It show an escalation of an already accumulated grievances.

You are a very amusing fellow.[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]

You remind me of White sub-urban Americans who think that Arabs are out to get them.

Tell me you are kidding me.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Kenyy: 8:17am On Apr 25, 2011
Instead of the Corps Members(Educated Illiterates and Misguided Miscreants) to unite with All Sane and Patriotic Nigerians and demand security for All Nigerians(Home and Abroad) from our misguided son-GEJ, they are busy fighting sectional interest that will not stand the test of time.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by edoyad(m): 8:21am On Apr 25, 2011
@OP, personally i think it should be scrapped totally, it has lost meaning. There is no point continuing with the program when only corrupt politicians and people like Tsiga are benefitting from it. I'm sure when NASS resumes the new legislative year this will be top on the agenda.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by zstranger: 8:24am On Apr 25, 2011
Kenyy:

Instead of the Corps Members(Educated Illiterates and Misguided Miscreants) to unite with All Sane and Patriotic Nigerians and demand security for All Nigerians(Home and Abroad) from our misguided son-GEJ, they are busy fighting sectional interest that will not stand the test of time.

+1000

Unfortunately, most Nigerian graduates are educated illiterates.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by gernded(m): 8:34am On Apr 25, 2011
Kenyy:

OHH ABOKI YOU DEY HERE WITH US TRY AND MAKE SENSE OK THIS IS FORUM FOR MATURE AND ENLIGHTENED EARS FROM THE SOUTH.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by violent(m): 9:05am On Apr 25, 2011
Kenyy:

[b]Instead of the Corps Members(Educated Illiterates and Misguided Miscreants) to unite with All Sane and Patriotic Nigerians [/b]and demand security for All Nigerians(Home and Abroad) from our misguided son-GEJ, they are busy fighting sectional interest that will not stand the test of time.

What in floppy-oh-hell's name are you spewing about? . . It beggars belief how deluded and completely insane some of you are. 

Corps Members are the patriotic Nigerians, you ídiot!. . More than half the percentage of those posted to the North are serving as teachers in ill-equipped schools and under dilapidating conditions, several of them get paid peanuts in return, and as if that's not enough, they get slain by the animals residing in those regions.

I'm betting your fat úgly árse is just sitting somewhere completely immune from the post electoral crises, banging away hopelessly at your keyboard.   Corpers are humans too, you ídiot, they deserve their fundamental right to life even though their sole crime was to have commit themselves to serving a hapless nation!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 25, 2011
This should also be supported by the NANS and we should also call on the government to adequately compensate the families of the murdered corpers. I was watching the news yesterday and I saw the story of one peter adewumi, he was his mothers only child, he independently funded his university education after which he was posted to Bauchi to serve. He was murdered by the rioters.
The NYSC should be scrapped.
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 25, 2011
zstranger:

^^^
You are a very amusing fellow.[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]

You remind me of White sub-urban Americans who think that Arabs are out to get them.

Tell me you are kidding me.
No.

They want an islamic Nigeria simple !
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by saintade01(m): 9:55am On Apr 25, 2011
Kenyy:

That is the way it is in Nigeria - live with it! wink
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by contracult: 6:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys!

Have you signed this petition? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-652445.0.html

Thank you so much!!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 25, 2011
Lagos State Government is already evacuating Lagos State indigenes serving in troubled part of the North.

It is time for other State Governors to demand their own indigenes back home.

The killing is too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by polokor60(m): 7:32pm On Apr 25, 2011
violent:

What in floppy-oh-hell's name are you spewing about? . . It beggars belief how deluded and completely insane some of you are. 

Corps Members are the patriotic Nigerians, you ídiot!. . More than half the percentage of those posted to the North are serving as teachers in ill-equipped schools and under dilapidating conditions, several of them get paid peanuts in return, and as if that's not enough, they get slain by the animals residing in those regions.

I'm betting your fat úgly árse is just sitting somewhere completely immune from the post electoral crises, banging away hopelessly at your keyboard.   Corpers are humans too, you ídiot, they deserve their fundamental right to life even though their sole crime was to have commit themselves to serving a hapless nation!
you have said it all.most of these stupid persons typing from the comfort of air conditioned rooms have never lost a love one or close relatives to this senseless nysc scheme let alone being slaughtered like rams by these dirty almajiris.thank God my cousin is back from that blood thirsty kaduna state but his neigbour(also a corper) was slaughtered by these stupid islamist.the mother of the slained corper has been crying without eating for days.my cousin brought so many pictures of many dead corpers and southerners.what was reported by the media is 10 percent in the death toll compared to what really happened.how about the 90 percent that never got the media attention and those that are still missing?nigeria is not worth dying for.scrap these death trap called nysc because the purpose of it has been defeated. angry
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by Mubz(m): 9:24am On Apr 26, 2011
~Bluetooth:

TRUE, VERY TRUE, Im a Muslim but i totally agree with you, There is more to this than meet the eye
Re: Post-Election Killing: National Assembly To Review NYSC Scheme? by petme: 11:41pm On Apr 27, 2011
onye_ngbu*:

Hello?!!!

Did u say u r a serving corps member? Abeg, if u r, leave that march for others because it is against NYSC bye laws to march/protest or anything of such.
Abeg find your nysc bye laws and read it again. I read mine then.
Meanwhile, its a good idea u got there.

Yes I am but that does not mean the right thing should not be done. In fact I think it will be more effective thatway. Anyway , thanks for your comment.

mcnepow:

A nice move in the right direction!

thanks for your comment.

please guys, what i think is appropriate now is a practical approach to this problem and not just theory on how it can be achieved.

Knowledge is power truly, but APPLIED [b][/b] knowledge is a greater power.
So guys, what i think is needed now is how the points highlighted above can be achieved or modified effectively to achieve its purpose.

what is the first move and when?

thanks.

(1) (Reply)

The Naira Stops At Jonathan! / Do You Want To Be Angry This Morning? Watch Nta Now! / I Was A Victim Of Cynthia Killers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.