Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,303 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record (530 Views)

Emmanuel Michael - Nigeria's 16 Year Old Freekick Wonder Kid / Lionel Messi Equals Pele's Goals Record For One Club With 643 For Catalan Giants / Messi Equals Ronaldo Record Of Most Hat-Tricks Scored In La Liga History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by neurosci: 1:13am On May 03, 2021
In Sunday's La liga match against Valencia, Lionel Messi equaled Cristiano Ronaldo's freekick record, with both players now on 56 free-kick goals in all competitions. However, Messi achieved this feat with 147 fewer matches. Messi has scored a total of 50 club free-kick goals, 4 more than Ronaldo.

https://twitter.com/BarcaWorldwide/status/1388975193729617922?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ronaldo finished his Man United career with 5 free-kick goals, and within his first 5 seasons in La Liga, he scored 23 free kick goals. However, things started to take a downturn for him from there, as he was only able to score 9 free-kick goals in his final four seasons at Madrid.
In March 2012 when Ronaldo had 30 free-kick goals, Messi had only 5, and ended the year with only 7. Since that time, Messi has transformed totally, scoring an average of 6 free-kick goals every year, and, in fact, scoring 10 in 2018. While things went downhill for Ronaldo, everything soared for Messi.

To put things in perspective, take look at a highlight of their free kick performances:

2009 – 2011
Ronaldo: 21 free-kick goals
Messi: 3 free-kick goals

MARCH 2012
Ronaldo: 23 free-kick goals
Messi: 5 free-kick goals

END OF 2013
Ronaldo: 39 free-kick goals
Messi: 14 free-kick goals

2017 – 2019
Ronaldo: 5 free-kick goals
Messi: 23 free-kick goals

https://www.messivsronaldo.app/detailed-stats/free-kicks/

It should also be noted that both Messi and Ronaldo are not even in the top 10 highest free-kick goal scorers of all time, with that list being topped by Juninho who had 77 goals in his playing career. However, with the pace that Messi is going, no one can confidently say that by the time he ends his career, he wouldn't be the highest free-kick goal scorer ever. Here is a full breakdown of the top 10 free-kick goal scorers of all time:

1. Juninho (77 goals)

2. Pele (70 goals)

3. Victor Legrottaglie (66 goals)

4. Ronaldinho (66 goals)

5. David Beckham (65 goals)

6. Diego Maradona (62 goals)

7. Zico (62 goals)

8. Ronald Koeman (60 goals)

9. Rogerio Ceni (59 goals)

10. Marcelinho Carioca (59 goals)

https://www.sportbible.com/football/top-10s-juninho-pernambucano-named-greatest-free-kick-taker-of-all-time-20210409

lalasticlala, seun, semid4lyfe, honeric01

Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by Mixedfruit: 1:17am On May 03, 2021
The real men!

Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by neurosci: 1:20am On May 03, 2021

Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by angelEmade: 1:23am On May 03, 2021
The mumu FTC above me...CR7 has been playing long before him....and now he is on the same tally as CR7 with 147 more matches to go....
Messi is actually the best free kick scorer in the world of football
Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by marveangel(m): 1:31am On May 03, 2021
angelEmade:
The mumu FTC above me...CR7 has been playing long before him....and now he is on the same tally as CR7 with 147 more matches to go....
Messi is actually the best free kick scorer in the world of football
That is not entirely true. David Beckham and Juninho had more free kick goals than both Messi and cr7
Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by angelEmade: 1:33am On May 03, 2021
marveangel:
That is not entirely true. David Beckham and Juninho had more free kick goals than both Messi and cr7
With how many matches if i may ask??
Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by paulolee(m): 6:31am On May 03, 2021
nice one but I don't agree with such stats because free kick data is supposed to be calculated along with attempts instead of caps..
a player may get more attempts in 10 game and also a player can get fewer attempt from dt same 10 games
congrats leo n I know he would surely pass cr7 going by d rate he scores DM easily last season n even last two seasons...
freekick is the only area dt even leo n cr7 knew dt they are both learners bcoz its all about technique and when it comes to dead ball, I'll give it to the likes of juninho, gaucho n becks...this guys are monsters made freekick looked like penalties no matter wr they are taken from..
Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by paulolee(m): 6:53am On May 03, 2021
marveangel:
thats d point but even if both of them are legends, I think the attempts margin may not be dt wide because those guys are playing every single kicks in both contry n club but cr7 n messi started playing them at the later stage of their career..
Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by RealEzee(m): 8:32am On May 03, 2021
paulolee:

thats d point but even if both of them are legends, I think the attempts margin may not be dt wide because those guys are playing every single kicks in both contry n club but cr7 n messi started playing them at the later stage of their career..
I give it Juninho Abeg, guy had mad techniques, scoring from a lil bit away from the center circle, those mad curling free kicks, the glory days of lyon
Re: Messi Equals Ronaldo's Freekick Record by paulolee(m): 9:45am On May 03, 2021
RealEzee:
I give it Juninho Abeg, guy had mad techniques, scoring from a lil bit away from the center circle, those mad curling free kicks, the glory days of lyon
i swear....bin de doubt the gee n was calling his goals a fluke until I saw him score them against teams in UCL n even scored barca from a tight angle against dt joker valdez..

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona And Laliga Expected Losses Due To Lionel Messi. / Dani Alves : The Most Decorated Football Player / Salah Demands 500,000 Pounds A Week Wages At Liverpool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.