Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic (554 Views)

Malaria Is An Acute Illness That Can Be Fatal And Can Kill If Not Treated / Covid-19 Patients Being Treated In Lagos Hospital Beg Nigerians To Stay At Home / Egg Donor Chronicles: My Experience In A Nigerian Fertility Clinic (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic by DrFunmisticGlow: 6:52pm On May 03, 2021
Happy public holiday everyone!

As we prepare for work tomorrow. Always remember to look after your health. It is an investment your future self will thank you for.

Many people put off going to see the doctor until the last minute for a lot of reasons. From poor health facilities,long waiting times and less than friendly, frustrated hospital staff to lack of finances. Here's a list of 10 common illnesses that make nigerians visit their nearest doctor on an outpatient basis

10. Skin diseases: This is usually common in children and young adults because they can be unsightly and uncomfortable, especially where itching is involved. It can range from acne, to eczema, to ringworm, chicken pox, scabies and so much more.

9. Wounds and injuries: This happens to people of all ages and has been on the rise due to increased crime in the country, from robbery attacks and accident victims to domestic injuries and chronic wounds that refuse to heal.

8 Sexually transmitted infections(STI): This is common in young adults, gonorrhoea, syphilis and herpes for the men. While yeast infections( can also be non sexually transmitted), bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia and PID for the women, honorary mentions will be given to genitals warts and HIV
7. Joint pains: The middle aged and elderly are the most affected by this ailment. The commonest is low back pain, followed by knee pain. They come for their daily dose of pain relief and supplements to ease thier suffering.

6. Sickle cell crises: It is no secret that sickle cell anaemia leads to increased hospital visits and admissions. While preventable, it is so sad that there are still so many nigerians afflicted with this ailment.

5. Peptic Ulcer disease: to all my peeps who skip meals (Fasting especially) and eat spicy food. This is for you. They come in complaining of a biting chest or abdominal pain that is worse at night or when hungry. Except for children below 5, no age group is spared.

4. Malaria: Are you shocked?! Don't be, the reason is simple. Most nigerians will first of all go to one chemist or pharmacy who gives antimalarial drug for everything. One thing we all need to know is that not every sickness is malaria. The fever, body pain and weakness we think is malaria, is common in other illnesses and most likely something else especially any of the top 3.

3. Gastrointestinal illness es: Remember the last time you ate something bad and had diarrhoea and vommiting with stomach pain? The two main diseases in this category are food poisoning and typhiod fever, cholera is not left out. Common in all age groups ,but can be deadly in children under 5 and the elderly. So please wash your hands before eating, and after using the toilet; also try to use clean water for cooking and drinking.

2. Chronic illnesses: the main illnesses in question are hypertension and diabetes. It can be seen from late 30s till the elderly. Most of the people with any or both of these ailments are follow up cases. Causes include stress and a unhealthy life style, so eat and sleep well, exercise, drink moderately and don't smoke. Which leads me to number 1

Drumroll please shocked shocked shocked

1. Respiratory illnesses: This is probably the most common reason why people come to the clinic, especially children. What many people assumed was malaria was simply this. It ranges from the common cold, to the more serious pneumonia. Honorable mentions will also be given to asthma.

Do you agree with this list?

Disclaimer: lists may vary based on setting and region in the country. This is not a scientific article and is based on my opinion and practice.

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic by triple996(m): 7:14pm On May 03, 2021
9ice grin.
especially sexually transmitted dieseas, very coded bt dedly.
front page worthy.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic by DrFunmisticGlow: 7:16pm On May 03, 2021
triple996:
9ice grin.
especially sexually transmitted dieseas
front page worthy.

Yes.
Re: Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic by lordm(m): 7:49pm On May 03, 2021
I think malaria is number one
Re: Top 10 Illness That Take Nigerians To The Clinic by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:32pm On May 03, 2021
lordm:
I think malaria is number one

Not every illness is malaria, every patient comes saying that they have malaria, but it is not usually the case

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Think I'm Hypochondriac. / Why Are Men More Afraid Of HIV And Other Stis Than Women / I Need Anaphrodisiac Drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.