Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,362 members, 7,815,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues (571 Views)

Please Help,people Think I Have Mental Problem Because I Soliloquizing Alot. / SA Woman who Birthed 10 Babies Lied, Was Never Pregnant, Has Mental Issues (PIX) / I'm Suspecting My Girlfriend Has Given Me HIV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 12:46am On Nov 08, 2021
Good evening everyone. To cut the long story short my mental health issues started in 2012 when I tried weed in the university. It's not genetic. Also I've been in and out of psychiatric hospitals a good number of times. However I'm currently on medication and I've been able to manage the condition. I was also able to graduate and I've also done my nysc and my family is planning on opening a small business for me since job has not been forthcoming.

However my health condition has been kept secret by me and family and I'm currently dating a nice girl. Please should I tell her my secret. What caused most of my episodes was refusal to take my medication and all that but right now I'm very okay and for some few years now I've been going about my daily affairs without any issue. If I let the cat out of the bag I don't think she may stay cos the stigma of mental health issues is not a joke. Please I need your advice on how to handle this delicate issue. Thanks
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Harrykn: 12:53am On Nov 08, 2021
I don zero mind say anything wey go make me smoke nah off be that... In my entire family + generation nobody smokes even cigarette but alcohol and oloshoism Dey deir blood. Brotherly take heart but the thing be say President Buhari don mek person mentally unstable these years so e fit be say you bin Dey him last regime and you bin no recover. Speedy recovery man and try to let your family know WhatsApp, that’s where love begins.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by khia: 1:02am On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:
Good evening everyone. To cut the long story short my mental health issues started in 2012 when I tried weed in the university. It's not genetic. Also I've been in and out of psychiatric hospitals a good number of times. However I'm currently on medication and I've been able to manage the condition. I was also able to graduate and I've also done my nysc and my family is planning on opening a small business for me since job has not been forthcoming.

However my health condition has been kept secret by me and family and I'm currently dating a nice girl. Please should I tell her my secret. What caused most of my episodes was refusal to take my medication and all that but right now I'm very okay and for some few years now I've been going about my daily affairs without any issue. If I let the cat out of the bag I don't think she may stay cos the stigma of mental health issues is not a joke. Please I need your advice on how to handle this delicate issue. Thanks

You must sit her down and tell her the whole truth, all of it. If she is with you sometime in the future and Yah forbid, you didn't take your medication for whatever reason and you have an episode, she will be frightened, but if she has the knowledge of your plight she would understand and know what to do to help you.

I have a family member who suffers with mental health so I know what I'm talking about thru experience.

1 Like

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by JennyOfOldstones(f): 11:53am On Nov 08, 2021
You have to tell her the truth -you had a drug problem in the past and that you had to visit a psychiatrist for rehabilitation...ignore any one that says you should keep it a secret. Secrets that are kept like this will always come to light, in the worst way and at the wpest time possible. Let her know it's not genetic and maybe ask her to accompany you when visiting your doctor so that the doctor can talk to her and provide some helpful information..I feel such an approach may put her more at ease. But please always take your meds and avoid triggers. I wish you the best
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Watermountains(f): 12:03pm On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:

In all honesty bro, you need a therapist and time out for yourself to do some real life self reflecting to say the least, not some manmade medications that you could even possibly even get addicted to. Just some small constructive criticism and advices because I am a holistic health enthusiast including when it comes to all aspects of health from emotional, mental, physical, spiritual etc. Also, from what you have written that your problem is not genetic and started from weed, then it seems you could also use a detox and full inner body cleanse. Let me drop some links down for you to look into. It’s such a coincidence because I was just about to drop this two links in a topic I’m about to create. Thank me later. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtHO4EFmbIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRE-v_c6jcY
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2021
Watermountains:

In all honesty bro, you need a therapist and time out for yourself to do some real life self reflecting to say the least, not some manmade medications that you could even possibly even get addicted to. Just some small constructive criticism and advices because I am a holistic health enthusiast including when it comes to all aspects of health from emotional, mental, physical, spiritual etc. Also, from what you have written that your problem is not genetic and started from weed, then it seems you could also use a detox and full inner body cleanse. Let me drop some links down for you to look into. It’s such a coincidence because I was just about to drop this two links in a topic I’m about to create. Thank me later. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtHO4EFmbIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRE-v_c6jcY
Thanks very much for the enlightenment. I don't have much data right now but I'll watch it when I do. Much appreciated smiley

1 Like

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2021
JennyOfOldstones:
You have to tell her the truth -you had a drug problem in the past and that you had to visit a psychiatrist for rehabilitation...ignore any one that says you should keep it a secret. Secrets that are kept like this will always come to light, in the worst way and at the wpest time possible. Let her know it's not genetic and maybe ask her to accompany you when visiting your doctor so that the doctor can talk to her and provide some helpful information..I feel such an approach may put her more at ease. But please always take your meds and avoid triggers. I wish you the best
Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2021
khia:

You must sit her down and tell her the whole truth, all of it. If she is with you sometime in the future and Yah forbid, you didn't take your medication for whatever reason and you have an episode, she will be frightened, but if she has the knowledge of your plight she would understand and know what to do to help you.

I have a family member who suffers with mental health so I know what I'm talking about thru experience.
Noted. Thanks smiley
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by muheeb01(m): 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2021
There's no big deal in letting her know the truth,it's better than her seeing you taking your medication and challenge or approach you,and ask you questions about it like why didn't you tell her? If she truly loves you she'll stay and be part of your total healing and recovering,tbvh with you nobody is absolutely 100%complete mentally,even if you're not taking any drug,the stress family palaver this country itself can give you one or two mental issues even without diagnosis and you won't know,so let's the cat out the bag and have peace of mind.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Watermountains(f): 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:
Thanks very much for the enlightenment. I don't have much data right now but I'll watch it when I do. Much appreciated smiley

smiley
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Watermountains(f): 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:

No wahala bros, Abeg make I send you airtime or data recharge. Hopefully you get Airtel sim?
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by gameova(m): 1:06pm On Nov 08, 2021
Watermountains:

No wahala bros, Abeg make I send you airtime or data recharge. Hopefully you get Airtel sim?
Thanks
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by sholzuk: 2:11pm On Nov 08, 2021
I am a bit concerned if the relationship does not work out, your secret will be allover the place.
What symptoms do you exhibit?

My nephew had a similar condition but has been weaned off the medication

1 Like

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Gee64: 7:57pm On Nov 08, 2021
If you let the cat out of the bag, it will not return to the bag again oh.

She go run for her dear life and say,
"Who wan marry way-ray?"

But if she nor know and the craze comes, she go say,
"This man can vez"

(1) (Reply)

Gufei Bao Princess Pearl Pills For Fertility & Conception / The Rise Of Colorado: How A Killer Substance Became The Go-to Dr#g For Nigerians / Stroke And Its Effective Herbal Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.