Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,607 members, 7,955,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:16 PM

5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless (4265 Views)

Unforgettable Definition You Learnt In Secondary School / List Of School That Have Released Post UTME Forms / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Iseoluwani: 5:10am On May 05, 2021
When I was in primary sch I literally crammed the whole 16 members of ECOWAS(USEFUL), MR.NIGER-D(USELESS). I could recite the list of the Nigeria presidents and head of states using kegite song (was a karid entity).

As a literature student I crammed almost all figures of speeches which is still relevant till date

But u see that maths of a thing, very very useless ooo
Expect for the +-÷×. Every other thing is useless. Mo just scrap maths for ss classes.

Read that THE O IN BODMAS IS NOT EVEN OF. (don't know how true)

We should just endeavor to unlearn some useless info
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by abjecht(m): 5:21am On May 05, 2021
marveangel:
This is a list of things we learnt in secondary school that are not applicable in real life or have become totally obsolete maybe due to advance in technology or maybe they weren't as practical in real life as our teachers tried to make us believe.

1. Quadratic Formula (Almighty Formula)
The very first time I heard those words "Almighty Formula" I was in primary school, my elder brothers were arguing about some maths problem and they mentioned Almighty Formula I was like wow there is a formula in maths that is Almighty I bet with this formula I can solve any math problem I ever came across. I mean it is after all "Almighty" . Spoiler! there is nothing Almighty about the quadratic formula it is actually just another method of solving quadratic equations.

2. How to use long division and long multiplication
I remember my mathematics teacher shaming us and acting as though our whole brian was filled with saw dust just because one couldn't do any of this. But look at us today, we have the mobile phone and calculators I don't think I've been in any situation where I needed to use the long division I learnt or should I say forced to learn.

3. Memorizing The Periodic Table
Believe it or not back in secondary school SS1 first term to be precise I actually memorized the entire elements in the periodic table, all 104 of them over the weekend by break on Monday I had become something of a legend. Accompanied by my two closest friends I went from SS1 A to D mesmerizing other students with my "knowledge". I was the centre of attraction, each student with their Ababio textbook staring at the periodic table while I recited each element accordingly. By the end of the week I was something of a legend everybody was talking about me, even the seniors. But come month end even I could barely remember the first 30 elements accordingly and the legend fizzled into thin air. Unless you ended up studying chemistry I mean advance chemistry you'll probably would find memorizing the periodic table a complete waste of time, especially those rare elements not like you can got to ShopRite and order 2 kilos of Uranium.

4. Roman Numerals
Yeah yeah you could argue that you still make list using them, I understand that, but how often do you use Roman numerals, unless you are a class teacher teaching the same old things we were thought back them to some innocent students you probably never made a list longer than 10 with Roman numerals that's if you even do. Tell me I'm wrong.

5. Longitude and Latitude
I Know it seems like I have something against geography but I don't, my geography teacher was a fun guy back in the days but let's be real here, how many times have you had to use your knowledge of longitude and latitude in real life scenerio( unless you are a pilot or a ship captain,in that case - ah ya captain) and this thing called Google maps actually made that knowledge obsolete.

Bonus; Morning Assembly
As far as I'm concerned this is a complete waste of 1-2 hours every morning, why couldn't we just get to school and go straight to class why do we have to stand and sing, dance (principal sir I already endure 2 hours of morning devotion at home before coming to school) and then of course March to class. I never understood the essence especially the marching to class part. But if you do kindly enlighten me.

Well there you have it ladies and gentlemen top 5 things we learnt in secondary school that I believe are not applicable in real life or are now obsolete. Feel free to add yours and if there is anyone you do not agree with kindly let me know.

They are very much useful to others, they don’t have to be to you. Gadget or automobile designers use most of these calculations to fit parts, pilots use the knowledge of longitude and latitude and not everyone did morning devotions in their homes. The essence of the devotion was for morality, information sharing and togetherness.

The periodic table is very much useful to chemist, pharmacist and the likes that make drugs. You need chemistry to put them together in the right quantity and formulae.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Karleb(m): 5:25am On May 05, 2021
This is a foolish thread.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by kingjoe(m): 6:11am On May 05, 2021
They are very useful.depending on the field of specialization.
On the other hand it helped develop your brain.i almost weep tears when secondary school students need to do little calculation they would be pressing phone or looking for calculator.

Most of these softwares were developed with these basic principles . most things have now advanced to another level but the are started using these basic principles.

For example in my field ,one of the methods of setting out a building is by using pythagoras theory.

Longitude and latitude is used for getting location,used in tracking person's.it is the principle in gps global positioning system.used for security , agriculture, urban planning etc
@op , you got it all wrong.most of those principles are applied.
@but one thing I will teach my kids along primary and secondary school lessons are skills from an early stage.
The should also be good in IT first which is the future, from electrical electronics to mechanical works to carpentry to art etc . This would help them adapt anywhere.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Techcrunchng(m): 6:23am On May 05, 2021
They are not useless, they are just like the keys that unlocked some parts of your brain to be able to receive and retain other knowledges which you believed that are useful in your life today. Believe me, those little things count.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by SEGLIZ: 6:42am On May 05, 2021
oloyedewaris:
Is either op is an illiterate or a dropout, all the things you mentioned here are important than they look, if you stydy further in mathematics, then you know the application of them

do your reasoning deep before you attack people else you will make a nuisance off yourself.
those things he mentioned are rather useless than useful, how many students went further in the mathematics you mentioned?
for only a very few ration of that population being enforced to learn those things end up pursuing a career in it or use them today.
the only thing there remains the assembly due to the morals being taught to student, only this I disagree with him.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by ekene101: 7:04am On May 05, 2021
National anthem and pledge was and is still the most useless.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by gaddafe(m): 7:05am On May 05, 2021
marveangel:
But I'm mainly taking about our everyday life

in our everyday life it's useful. Everyone will not live the same life. For example, because of the nature of the job of a pastor he might be needing the knowledge from the Bible and English in his everyday life another person might be needing something else like a programmer will tell you how important calculus is to his field.

I've been a mathematics teacher for some years now and I think one major problem pupils face in maths is that they don't even know how and what they study will be applied in a real life situation.

I don't blame you for reasoning this way. it is a reflection of the quality of education you received.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by oloyedewaris(m): 7:14am On May 05, 2021
SEGLIZ:

do your reasoning deep before you attack people else you will make a nuisance off yourself.
those things he mentioned are rather useless than useful, how many students went further in the mathematics you mentioned?
for only a very few ration of that population being enforced to learn those things end up pursuing a career in it or use them today.
the only thing there remains the assembly due to the morals being taught to student, only this I disagree with him.
You said how many people went further in mathematics,
How is the teacher suppose to know your field of career, their job is to teach you the basics for all possible career, the same way they teach you biology, chemistry, physics only for you to end up with economics in uni.

Op said they are useless and i told him they are useful in their respective fields, you can't expect everything taught to be applicable to all

Did you know that long and latitude are so useful in geology or geography field even me a computer scientist still use the knowledge, did you know about this Google goelocation api which Google use in maps, did you know that before developers can use it, you need to understand lng and lat and their conversion,

Did you know there is a course I took right last year MTH 306 and MTH 205(abstract algebra and groups and rings), did you know that the foundation of that course is those little algebra rules and methods taught in sec sch

Those little multiplication or Roman numerals can sometimes help during interview

So tell me why they are a waste
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by bukatyne(f): 7:33am On May 05, 2021
alshalz:
Organic chemistry, especially those their Arabic drawing formulae or whatever you may call it.Balancing of equations,wetin we dey balance, life wey suppose to balance Eno balance na equations wan come balance

Organic Chemistry is not applicable in everyday life?

When next you buy a drug, go through the leaflet and you would find the chemical composition, contraindications i.e. other drugs aka chemicals you should not combine it with, dosage by age which has taken into account average developmental stages at that age hence determining the amount aka dosage required and a bit of nuclear physics telling you half life of the drug, the time it takes to decompose fully in the human body and pass out as waste which also informs the spacing of the drug.

You would also see the side effects of the drug which are chemicals in the drugs reacting with the chemicals/hormones in your body.

You think Doctors just tell you to use drug A every 14 hours, drug B twice daily and drug C 10pm every night because they like your face?

I think this thread sadly speaks to the quality of education received.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Spy360(m): 8:54am On May 05, 2021
marveangel:
This is a list of things we learnt in secondary school that are not applicable in real life or have become totally obsolete maybe due to advance in technology or maybe they weren't as practical in real life as our teachers tried to make us believe.

1. Quadratic Formula (Almighty Formula)
The very first time I heard those words "Almighty Formula" I was in primary school, my elder brothers were arguing about some maths problem and they mentioned Almighty Formula I was like wow there is a formula in maths that is Almighty I bet with this formula I can solve any math problem I ever came across. I mean it is after all "Almighty" . Spoiler! there is nothing Almighty about the quadratic formula it is actually just another method of solving quadratic equations.

2. How to use long division and long multiplication
I remember my mathematics teacher shaming us and acting as though our whole brian was filled with saw dust just because one couldn't do any of this. But look at us today, we have the mobile phone and calculators I don't think I've been in any situation where I needed to use the long division I learnt or should I say forced to learn.

3. Memorizing The Periodic Table
Believe it or not back in secondary school SS1 first term to be precise I actually memorized the entire elements in the periodic table, all 104 of them over the weekend by break on Monday I had become something of a legend. Accompanied by my two closest friends I went from SS1 A to D mesmerizing other students with my "knowledge". I was the centre of attraction, each student with their Ababio textbook staring at the periodic table while I recited each element accordingly. By the end of the week I was something of a legend everybody was talking about me, even the seniors. But come month end even I could barely remember the first 30 elements accordingly and the legend fizzled into thin air. Unless you ended up studying chemistry I mean advance chemistry you'll probably would find memorizing the periodic table a complete waste of time, especially those rare elements not like you can got to ShopRite and order 2 kilos of Uranium.

4. Roman Numerals
Yeah yeah you could argue that you still make list using them, I understand that, but how often do you use Roman numerals, unless you are a class teacher teaching the same old things we were thought back them to some innocent students you probably never made a list longer than 10 with Roman numerals that's if you even do. Tell me I'm wrong.

5. Longitude and Latitude
I Know it seems like I have something against geography but I don't, my geography teacher was a fun guy back in the days but let's be real here, how many times have you had to use your knowledge of longitude and latitude in real life scenerio( unless you are a pilot or a ship captain,in that case - ah ya captain) and this thing called Google maps actually made that knowledge obsolete.

Bonus; Morning Assembly
As far as I'm concerned this is a complete waste of 1-2 hours every morning, why couldn't we just get to school and go straight to class why do we have to stand and sing, dance (principal sir I already endure 2 hours of morning devotion at home before coming to school) and then of course March to class. I never understood the essence especially the marching to class part. But if you do kindly enlighten me.

Well there you have it ladies and gentlemen top 5 things we learnt in secondary school that I believe are not applicable in real life or are now obsolete. Feel free to add yours and if there is anyone you do not agree with kindly let me know.
These may not mean anything now, but they are the precursors to every knowledge you have and use now. Including knowing and appreciating how to use a calculator.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Spy360(m): 9:46am On May 05, 2021
Olodo people will love this thread.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Nobody: 10:44am On May 05, 2021
ukaface:
That longitude and latitude topic use to turn my head and eyes

Inshort geometry was one aspect of maths I hated.
I hate geometry. Internal angle equals exterior angle bla bla
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by goodmuscopi(m): 12:17pm On May 05, 2021
@op
They might be useless to a street guy and a complete nuisance but morning assembly is where learning starts everyday.
If you study abstract maths u will have to solve quadratic equation at one point so the formula will come handy
Pilot, ship captain and navigator needs longitude and latitudes daily.
Long story short, u try but i cant help but disagree.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Oyiboman69: 1:46pm On May 05, 2021
Longitude and latitude is useless?; oga go for deliverance

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by iamyemiakins(m): 4:37pm On May 05, 2021
The OP need koboko for calling all that useless
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by gaddafe(m): 7:28pm On May 10, 2021
ekene101:
National anthem and pledge was and is still the most useless.

Some people aspiring to be commissioners have been embarrassed for inability to recite the national anthem or pledge
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by kaylardz(m): 4:38pm On Feb 11, 2022
d op and d admin dat moved dis misleading post to front page are wrong.
there are currently some aptitude tests dat do not allow d use of phone and calculator, I wrote one late last year. so how do u intend to pass those tests without d knowledge of long division and multiplication??
Re: 5 Things We Learnt In Secondary School That Are Now Useless by Isobug: 8:18am On Feb 12, 2022
Not even one item on your list is useless, as a matter of fact, those things are what my Colleagues and I see everyday. Imagine you mentioning the Periodic table, that's baffling!

(1) (2) (Reply)

“i’m Slipping Into Depression” Student In ‘séx-for-grade’ Video Finally Reacted / Nda Past Questions And Answers (soft Copy) / How High Is Your IQ? Look At This Photo, Shake Your Head & Tell Us What You See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.