Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,171 members, 7,953,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:22 PM

List of companies to expect. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / List of companies to expect. (1661 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Construction Companies To Work For. / Entry Level Salaries Of Companies In Nigeria / Jobberman's 2013 - 100 Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List of companies to expect. by damkollins(m): 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2007
Here is a list of some of the companies that will be coming for PeoplePrime Graduate Fair on the 26-27th July. It was culled from their website at www.peopleprime.net

Oando Plc
MTN Nigeria
BG Nigeria
Coca Cola Nigeria
Guinness Plc
Chevron Oil
BAT
WHAT TO EXPECT,
Job fairs provide a great opportunity for you to meet employers who represent a wide range of industries, and in some instances, obtain interviews with them. If you make a favorable impression, you have the best chance of being invited to interview.

But what can you do to stand out in the crowd of college job seekers?

Be Prepared for the Job Fair
Not all employers will conduct preliminary interviews at the job fair, but if you're serious about your job search, you should go prepared to talk to potential employers.

Research: More than a third of employers said they expect you to know something about their companies or organizations. To prepare for this, check your career center web site a couple of days before the job fair to see there is a list of attending companies-perhaps with links to the organizations' web sites. Look for flyers about the job fair that contain employers' web addresses. Ask for information on companies at your career center.

Dress to impress: To create a good first impression, you can't go wrong by dressing as if you are going to a job interview. Most employers reported that they consider business casual appropriate for job fairs-and many of the employers at JobFest were casually dressed. However, some employers said that a common mistake students make is "not being dressed professionally."

Take supporting documents: Upon request, you should be able to supply potential employers with the following:

Cover letter
Hard copy and/or scannable resume*
Reference letters*
Professional portfolio, including examples of work and accomplishments*
Transcript copy
Completed job application
*In general, only employers who conduct formal interviews at job fairs (21 to 27 percent) expect students to provide a scannable resume, reference letters, and a portfolio.

Meeting and Greeting
There's a certain etiquette practiced at job fairs. Making a mistake won't necessarily knock you out of the running for a job with an employer, but if your goal is to stand out from the crowd, you don't want a mistake to be the thing that makes your visit memorable. Here are some of the mistakes employers said students commonly make:

Saying, "I'll take anything" or "I don't know" when asked about interests shows a lack of focus. (Tip: Seek the expertise of career counselors at your career center or what you can do with your major.)
Dressing unprofessionally or in casual clothing.
Lacking a resume to leave with interested employers.
Confusing a company with its competitor or not knowing anything about a company.
Lacking enthusiasm or interest in a company or job opportunities.
Asking about salary.
Asking inappropriate questions, not asking questions, having a poor or unprofessional attitude. (Tip: Your career center probably has examples of good questions to ask.)
Grabbing free stuff.
Lacking communication skills, including not making eye contact and having a weak handshake.
Not being willing to relocate.
Some employers will expect you to complete their job applications while you are at the job fair, so be sure to bring information that may not be included on your resume. Information may include: addresses and telephone numbers of former employers; addresses and dates of attendance for high school and other schools; and contact information for references.

Follow-up From Your Fair Experience
Most employers said they follow up with students within two to four weeks after the job fair to request an interview. They also expect some kind of follow-up from you-a cover letter, phone call, or a completed job application-and may not extend an invitation to interview if you fail to take this initiative.

Time spent at a job fair pays off. It's your chance to see many of the career opportunities that are open to you and you may connect with potential employers who, ultimately, can offer you a job. If you make a favorable impression, you are more likely to be invited to interview.

Career Fair tips

The following tips are designed to assist you in getting the most out of the Career Fair.
What to do prior to the Career Fair

* Check the list of participating employers and areas of study from which they want to recruit
* Research the organisations that you are interested in so that you have some knowledge of what they are seeking in their graduates
* Prepare your resume to take with you to the Career Fair, ensuring that there are no grammatical or spelling errors (Careers Counsellors at Student Services can assist you with proofreading)
* Prepare a list of questions to ask employers
* Plan how you will introduce yourself to the employers so that you will make a positive first impression.

What to do at the Career Fair

* Dress appropriately – remember you want to make a positive first impression
* Take a notepad and pen so that you can take notes on important information
* Introduce yourself confidently, using eye contact and a firm handshake
* When you have finished your conversation ask if you can leave your resume and request a business card
* Do not just go around collecting the ‘freebies’ from each employer – show interest in the organisation
* Make the most of this event by talking to as may employers as you can that recruit from your chosen area of study
* Make your conversations with employers worthwhile and short – do not spend time asking irrelevant questions, be mindful of other students wanting to talk with them (see list below of suggested questions to ask)
* Listen to what the employer says, especially for information which could be of assistance to you when you are writing your application
* Allow yourself plenty of time and do not arrive right at closing time
* Take this event seriously – this is your future.

What to do after the Career Fair

* Read through the information that you collected
* Decide which programs you are going to apply for
* Make a note of closing dates to ensure that you do not miss any
* Initiate any further communication requested from any employers
* Meet with a Careers Counsellor for assistance with your application and any further career guidance that you may require.

Suggested questions to ask employers

* Can you tell me about your organisation?
* How many graduates is the company looking to recruit?
* How is the graduate program structured?
* Will I have a permanent job when the graduate program ends?
* How long is the graduate program?
* Is professional development/career advancement strongly supported within the organisation?
* What personal attributes does the organisation look for in graduates?
* What do you view as being the most significant stage in the recruitment and selection process?
* What are the growth prospects for this field in the future?
* What differentiates this organisation from others?
* What do you view as the benefits and challenges of working for this organisation?
* Why did you choose to work at this company?
* What sort of projects can graduates expect to participate in?
* May I please have your contact details should I have any further questions?
Re: List of companies to expect. by obanikoro2(m): 7:53am On Jul 12, 2007
@damkollins

thanks alot for the info.
Re: List of companies to expect. by Helpmate(m): 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2007
damkollins,
Thanks. I will like to see u at the fair.
How can we see?
Re: List of companies to expect. by damkollins(m): 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2007
Oremartins,u'r still talking about the ones I posted.It's yet to be updated.
Re: List of companies to expect. by damkollins(m): 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2007
Helpmate,I'll really like to meet you too but I don't know how.Maybe at the fair but my numbers are 08052130317 and 08066700029.I don't mind having yours too.
Cheers!
Re: List of companies to expect. by igweosita: 9:35am On Jul 13, 2007
Demakollins,
just saw the additions.and I saw ur numba.although u gave it to Helpmate, I will call u soon before the fair so that we cam neet
Re: List of companies to expect. by Onyeabo: 10:08am On Jul 13, 2007
hi
thanks for the info.
Pls would like to wen u wrot ur own txt, cos I wrot mine on the 4th of July and have not gotten any txt msg from pple prime yet. Pls would like it if u could help with this info. Thank u
Re: List of companies to expect. by obanikoro2(m): 10:21am On Jul 13, 2007
@Onyeabo

the one u wrote is not for the Gfair. That is why they havent called u yet.

@damkollins

hope u slept well?
Re: List of companies to expect. by Onyeabo: 10:23am On Jul 13, 2007
but we were told we would b called b4 26 to 27th
Re: List of companies to expect. by damkollins(m): 10:42am On Jul 13, 2007
Onyeabo:

hi
thanks for the info.
Please would like to when u wrot your own txt, because I wrot mine on the 4th of July and have not gotten any txt msg from people prime yet. Please would like it if u could help with this info. Thank u
year,I was just about telling you what Obanikoro just said.I guess people prime normally conduct test for those that are their registered member(I think on monthly basis) and I guess u might be one of them too.Try calling them to confirm ur status.
Lest I forget,WELCOME ON BOARD.Hoping u'll find ur heart desires.

@damkollins

hope u slept well
?
Thanks my guy.Thanks for your call of yesterday.I also called Sallywendu yesternite when I got home.She said she's @ Ogun state.How was ur nite?
Re: List of companies to expect. by obanikoro2(m): 7:44am On Jul 16, 2007
@damkollins

I slept well and had a nice weekend too. Hope urs was cool

O'boy. U are everywhere in Nairaland! Anywhere I turn to, damkollins is there.

Take am easy make u no go wear urself out o grin

Have a blessed week ahead bro
Re: List of companies to expect. by maris25(f): 8:59am On Jul 16, 2007
tanks DAMKOLLINS u'r really a dear and we really appreciate ur concern so my th Good Lord bless u and reward u for ur effort
Re: List of companies to expect. by damkollins(m): 10:34am On Jul 16, 2007
maris25:

tanks DAMKOLLINS u'r really a dear and we really appreciate your concern so my th Good Lord bless u and reward u for your effort

Amen and may the good Lord grant ALL OF OUR HEART DESIRES.(amen)
Re: List of companies to expect. by Funkee: 3:16pm On Jul 16, 2007
Hi Guys, Thanx for the wonderful job u r doing here. Pls how can i get invited to the Job fair (hope its not too late)
Re: List of companies to expect. by damkollins(m): 4:10pm On Jul 16, 2007
Funkee:

Hi Guys, Thanx for the wonderful job you're doing here. Please how can i get invited to the Job fair (hope its not too late)

The truth is that u might not be able to attend the fair again coz it's in an advanced stage already(screening and aptitude test conducted already) but I believe u'll be located positively.

(1) (Reply)

Chevron Recruiting 16 Bits (03-08-07) / Tuesday Guardian Vacancies: 4/3/08 / Guaranty Trust Assurance Plc Career Opportunities/vacancies Into Various Graduat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.