Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,157 members, 7,849,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:22 AM

Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land (763 Views)

2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Okunammiri(m): 12:51pm On May 07, 2021
Please fellow nairanlanders I have this issue which is tearing my family apart.

My sister is about to get married to the love of her life who resides in the United States but the problem is the guy is an Osu (outcast).
My family is kicking against thee marriage and my sister is insisting she’s going ahead with the marriage.
My question are as follows “Are there any negative implications of getting married to an Osu whether now or later in the future?
Has the Osu system been abolished in Igbo land?
Please guys help me so that we don’t make a mistake.
Thank you
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Vyzz: 2:49pm On May 07, 2021
No it's not

1 Like

Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by RedboneSmith(m): 10:44am On May 08, 2021
Okunammiri:
Please fellow nairanlanders I have this issue which is tearing my family apart.

My sister is about to get married to the love of her life who resides in the United States but the problem is the guy is an Osu (outcast).
My family is kicking against thee marriage and my sister is insisting she’s going ahead with the marriage.
My question are as follows “Are there any negative implications of getting married to an Osu whether now or later in the future?
Has the Osu system been abolished in Igbo land?
Please guys help me so that we don’t make a mistake.
Thank you

The worst that could happen is she gets cut off by your family.

She'll move to the United States to be with her husband. Herself and her children will have a much more better life than this rotting shell of a country with its grinding poverty, chaotic violent mess and backward traditions will ever afford them. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Okunammiri(m): 12:23pm On May 08, 2021
Vyzz:
No it's not
Ok thank you.
I need further clarification
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Okunammiri(m): 12:25pm On May 08, 2021
RedboneSmith:

She'll move to the United States to be with her husband. Herself and her children will have a much more better life than this rotting shell of a country with its grinding poverty, chaotic violent mess and backward traditions will ever afford them. Thank you.
Lol
Honestly this tradition of a thing is tiring
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 08, 2021
RedboneSmith:

You refer to Igbo tradition as a chaotic violent mess?

How dare you use such words?

If she wants to marry osu let her go ahead but don't insult the wisdom of the forebearers.
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Juliusmalema2: 2:52pm On May 08, 2021
Juliusmalema:

If she wants to marry osu let her go ahead but don't insult the wisdom of the forebearers.
Don't be stupid, why won't he address the igbo tradition as a 'Chaotic violent mess'?
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by RedboneSmith(m): 3:20pm On May 08, 2021
Juliusmalema:

The word is 'forebears', not 'forebearers'. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by RedboneSmith(m): 3:22pm On May 08, 2021
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 08, 2021
RedboneSmith:

The word is 'forebears', not 'forebearers'. Thanks.

I don't blame you.

I blame ourselves the custodian of Igbo tradition for allowing strangers have input in our affairs.

Let's be watching.
Re: Is The Osu (outcast System) Still Effective In Igbo Land by chimezieeze98: 9:15pm On May 10, 2021

(1) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between 'EBO' Sacrifice And 'ÈTÙTÙ' / Spiritual Fortifications : Return The Evil They Wish You Back . / Witchcraft And Destiny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.