Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Lets Go Beekeeping - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Lets Go Beekeeping (4786 Views)

How To Start Honey Beekeeping From Your Backyard... / Beekeeping Training / How To Produce Your Own Honey By Simple Beekeeping At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 10:12pm On Aug 06, 2021
Processing The Honey
Take the combs to the honey press and press out the honey. The honey should be strained using a strainer to separate comb crumbs, bees, larva etc. There must be cleanliness through out the process to avoid contaminating the honey. Some honey become watery when exposed to air for a long time while others get thicker. This is caused by the forage bees feeds on. Therefore, honey should be stored in air tight vessel. The compressed honey comb is no longer needed in the hive but can be processed to produce beeswax.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 11:03am On Aug 12, 2021
Processing the Beeswax
Beeswax can be obtained from honeycomb by melting. A much valuable beeswax is from a clean and white comb. If you are using frame hives, there will be a need to reuse the honeycomb which makes it darker as it gets older. Hence, processing this honeycomb gives a brown to dark brown beeswax which are less valuable, compare to white beeswax. Brown or dark brown beeswax is best use as swarm bait due to the strong odour it offers. It is best to process honeycomb that was honey store or empty one and not brood combs for easier processing. Beeswax can be simply processed by the following .
(1) Wash the combs in a clean water, probably twice or more.
(2) Transfer the combs to a clean boiling water and avoid over flows. The water does not need to be too much but must be enough to surround the combs.
(3) As the combs melts shortly, stir the mixture until there is complete melting. Avoid excessive heat and drops of beeswax on the heat source since beeswax is combustible.
(4) Remove the mixture vessel from heat and allow it to cool. The melted combs floats on water and solidifies as it cools. This is the beeswax.
(5) The floating and hard beeswax can be removed and transferred to moulds where it can be remelted and form the desired shape.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 2:33pm On Aug 24, 2021
Intending beekeepers should start strategising to acquire beekeeping materials while the next swarming season is approaching, starting from early october. I can assist in leasing or purchasing a land conducive for beekeeping in ogbomoso north area. I can also help you to acquire beekeeping equipments. Call or send a direct messsage to my whatsapp no: 09053639950

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 10:34pm On Sep 06, 2021
Stop procrastinating! Willing beekeepers should start strategising to acquire beekeeping materials while the next swarming season is approaching, starting from early october. I can assist in leasing or purchasing a land conducive for beekeeping in ogbomoso north area. I can also help you to acquire beekeeping equipments. Call or send a direct messsage to my whatsapp no: 09053639950
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 6:01pm On Sep 07, 2021
This September:Most plants will start blossoming from mid month. Apiarists should be aware of enough forage supply to the colony. Few weeks from blossom, the population of the colony will increase and honey will be capped. As dry season commences in the north, we don't expect too much rain at the month end in the south. Climatic condition is very crucial to the colony survival. My prediction will be wrong if the apiarist feeds his colony in the dearth period and plant different blossom season.
Intending beekeepers should start strategising to acquire beekeeping materials while the next swarming season is approaching, starting from early october. I can assist in leasing or purchasing a land conducive for beekeeping in ogbomoso north area. I can also help you to acquire beekeeping equipments. Call or send a direct messsage to my whatsapp no: 09053639950

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2021
This is a section of our apiary in ogbomosho. I started from somewhere. You can also start yours without delay.

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by quadraheem(m): 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2021
Interesting
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2021
Thanks
quadraheem:
Interesting
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by zanshi: 4:03pm On Sep 15, 2021
honifome:
Stop procrastinating! Willing beekeepers should start strategising to acquire beekeeping materials while the next swarming season is approaching, starting from early october. I can assist in leasing or purchasing a land conducive for beekeeping in ogbomoso north area. I can also help you to acquire beekeeping equipments. Call or send a direct messsage to my whatsapp no: 09053639950

How i wish you are in Abeokuta

Problem is getting land for my second hive all the villages heads are just using one to catch cruise and there isnt enough beekeepers willing to teach or help troubleshoot with any random issues that may arise.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by Greenarrow01(m): 11:10am On Sep 16, 2021
zanshi:

Problem is getting land for my second hive all the villages heads are just using one to catch cruise and there isnt enough beekeepers willing to teach or help troubleshoot with any random issues that may arise.

Boss
Pls how much are those agriculture lands around those villages there
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 11:26am On Sep 16, 2021
zanshi:

I believe every land is sizeable. You can place below 20 hives on a plot. This depends on the availability of forage. I am lagos based without knowing anyone in ogbomosho except the agent who linked me to the land owner. You must be dogged if you are passionate about beekeeping. Contact me if you have questions.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 11:29am On Sep 16, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Boss
contact me via call or whatsapp 09053639950
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by zanshi: 5:53pm On Sep 16, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Boss

I believe around 20k per acre i guess. But even the villages are fronting now as a lot of them are selling their lands to Estate developers.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by Greenarrow01(m): 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2021
zanshi:

I believe around 20k per acre i guess. But even the villages are fronting now as a lot of them are selling their lands to Estate developers.

Boss
I didn't say lease ooo
I mean outright sale per acre
It can't be 20k per acre
Ogun state
When no be sambisa forest.
Even
Oyo state you get 80k per acre for remote forest
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by Greenarrow01(m): 6:08pm On Sep 16, 2021
zanshi:

Boss
I didn't say lease ooo
It can't be 20k per acre
Ogun state
Even
Oyo state you get 80k per acre for remote forest...
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by zanshi: 6:20pm On Sep 16, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Boss
I didn't say lease ooo
It can't be 20k per acre
Ogun state
Even

Tbh that was how much was quoted for me. i wanted to put my beehives there but i changed my mind because the place has security issues.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by zanshi: 6:22pm On Sep 16, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Boss
I didn't say lease ooo
It can't be 20k per acre
Ogun state
Even

For sale one bloke told me 200k.

I am thinking of going with it if i cant get any other good options because i want to plant sunflower and other exotic flowers to add to the forage my bees would work on.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by Greenarrow01(m): 8:12pm On Sep 16, 2021
zanshi:

Tbh that was how much was quoted for me. i wanted to put my beehives there but i changed my mind because the place has security issues.

Herdsmen ??

Omo just incase you buy it
Do proper documentation oooo
Pls which village is that
Abi which axis
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by zanshi: 10:25pm On Sep 16, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Herdsmen ??

Omo just incase you buy it
Do proper documentation oooo
Pls which village is that
Abi which axis

Beside Intl breweries, not so far from the Inter change, there is a farming community there where they plant Cassava, Yam, Corn as well as some Oil Palm. From what i could observe, i wasn't able to spot any activites of Herdsmen there but i am sure if you get there you can ask people familiar with the terrain.

I choose not to use the place for beekeeping primarily because there were a few real estate companies springing up here and there. But it is still a farming community.
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by Greenarrow01(m): 4:32am On Sep 17, 2021
zanshi:

Beside Intl breweries, not so far from the Inter change, there is a farming community there where they plant Cassava, Yam, Corn as well as some Oil Palm. From what i could observe, i wasn't able to spot any activites of Herdsmen there but i am sure if you get there you can ask people familiar with the terrain.

I choose not to use the place for beekeeping primarily because there were a few real estate companies springing up here and there. But it is still a farming community.
Boss
This is on the sagamu axis. ?
Thank you so much boss for always answering my questions
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 8:01am On Sep 18, 2021
Our society is so shortsighted that when you tell others about your plan, they will ask of the profit. If it's not hundreds of thousands or above, then you have not impress them. It's impossible to have a largesse from a little within a short period. Do not mind these people, they will discourage you and you will remain poor like them if you do. Just make a move and know what you are doing. There will be challenges and mistakes. In your wisdom, persevere.

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 9:05pm On Oct 11, 2021
As Dry Season Begins
Bees will resume foraging activities as some plants blossoms. There wil be increase in colony population and honey will be stored. The apiarist should observe the dominant blosssom in the apiary area and expect honey to be ripe at least two weeks from blossom boom. Honey ripening period depends on the nectar source and climate. Highly humid area causes late ripening and vice versa. The apiarist should inspect the hive not only to check for honey storage, but also queen cells build up because swarming will be imminent when there is prolong storage of honey and when the colony population is high.
Therefore, early honey harvesting and colony splitting is important to prevent swarming.

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 9:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
As the swarming season commences, i urge the willing apiarists to make a move. I can assist in leasing or purchasing a land conducive for beekeeping in ogbomoso north area. I can also help you to acquire beekeeping equipments. Call or send a direct messsage to my whatsapp no: 09053639950
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 12:53pm On Oct 13, 2021
The swarming season is ongoing, stop procrastinating amd make a move. I can assist in leasing or purchasing a land conducive for beekeeping in ogbomoso north area. I can also help you to acquire beekeeping equipments. Call or send a direct messsage to my whatsapp no: 09053639950
Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
If you are a beekeeper, you will always feel concerned about flowering crops in your area right?

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 12:45pm On Oct 27, 2021
The Security Threats in the Apiary
As Nigerians, we are aware of rising insecurity in the nooks and crannies of the country. Theft is common in most apiaries due to high value of the liquid gold. This is a major reason for not investing in beekeeping by many. Some affected apiarists have abandoned the business, thereby posing a great challenge in the industry. Despite the fact that bees have defence mechanism against intruders, they can't win man. We made it possible to manage them, but thieves does not care about the colony. Instead, they destroy the colony and damage the hive in an attempt to steal, in most cases, honey. This results to loss in the colony and the beekeeper investment. Theft is common during the harvest season. This is aftermath of rainy season.

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 2:10pm On Oct 27, 2021
No one must be trusted, in securing your apiary. The following steps should be considered for adequate security.
1. Let your beehives be visible from afar.
2.Be careful in telling others the exact location of your apiary.
3. Fence the apiary with sticks, bamboos or wire mesh. Apart from thieves, stray herds can also vandalize in an attempt to escape bee stings.
4. Keep your protective gears and smoker in a secret place. You can't trust anyone.
5. Inform nearby farmers about your setup. Plead with them to keep an eye on your hives from afar and update you on any invaders. You won't be there regularly like them. Engage other informants without their consent.
6. Let the hives be close to each other. 3-5 metre spacing is enough. In case of invasion of one colony, guard bees from close colony will possibly attack the culprit.
7. Hang one or more beehives on trees in a discreet place in the apiary, especially at the entrance or pathway. This can cause an attack on the culprit by surprise.
8. Place fetish looking items in a visible location in the apiary. You are a magician to ignorant ones, seeing these items will scare them more.
9. Be careful in giving details on harvesting activities performed in your apiary to anyone.
10. Employ a security personel, if you are a commercial beekeeper but don't trust him too.

1 Like

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 4:26pm On Dec 25, 2021
Merry christmas from Dannywale Apiaries, have a wonderful new year ahead.

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 4:28pm On Dec 25, 2021
Our Paynutri honey is now available, delivery is nationwide. It is strictly organic and neatly packaged in various sizes. 25 Cl - 1500 naira, 50 Cl - 2500 naira, 75 Cl - 3500 naira, 100 Cl / 1 litre - 4500 naira.Call or text 09053639950, 08184886577 for further enquiries.

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 10:15am On Dec 28, 2021
Choose Paynutri organic honey in any application where original honey is required.

Re: Lets Go Beekeeping by honifome(m): 9:07am On Jan 03, 2022
As we continuously enjoy the new year, our fresh original honey is much available for your well being. Order yours now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Supply Of Irish Potatoes And Sweet Potatoes From Jos / Beans Price Has Crash In Niger State / Integrated Palm Oil Processing Mill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.