Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! (1101 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Lordgives777: 10:29am On May 09, 2021
Lawyers in the house kindly advice me.

I’m a tenant in a 3 bedroom apartment. I have been living in this apartment for 4 years. I pay my rent as at when due and I have never defaulted,

I decided to renovate my apartment and change the old Slates to POP. I usually do renovations like this in my apartment where my landlord will see it and shower prayers.

Before starting the POP i sense I need to inform him since I have bought the materials. I informed him and he said he had intentions of doing those repairs but since I want to do it then no problem. The lawyer in-charge of the house also came to inspect the materials and said I should go ahead.

After fixing everything and renovating the house. I got a letter from my landlord lawyer increasing my rent from N900,000 to 1.8M.

I called my landlord and he said i should speak to his lawyer as he can’t get involved. I sent the letter to my lawyer and he wrote back stating the fact that i just did some minor repairs, and that 100% increment doesn’t seem fair.
He even went ahead and offered him 1.4M which they refused and gave me a 6 months notice to quite.
Bear in mind that this was 2020 during the pandemic and I never asked them for the money i used in fixing the POP.

In as much as I don’t like to be cheated, I want to make sure I’m getting the right advice from my lawyer as he said i should wait out the six month, then i will get a 7 days notice after which the case will go to court. He said it will be a win/win for me even if the judgement doesn’t favor me. He said I will only pay half of my yearly rent which is 6 months.

I would appreciate any advice on how to tackle this. I would have moved out but the cost of getting a new apartment including all these agency fees is alarming. I can save that up around december and move out.
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Baawaa(m): 10:30am On May 09, 2021
Go and complete your site and move in.
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Prechgold1180(m): 10:35am On May 09, 2021
Lol

1 Like

Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Prechgold1180(m): 10:37am On May 09, 2021
Op link your post with any mod
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by WaterTheMonk(m): 10:41am On May 09, 2021
Op sorry for this buy it's not something you will gain from if settled in court.
Call your landlord that you want to see him. Persuade him and show him all the expenses to have spent on the pop.
He should be able to refund something if he is not heartless.
BTW rent normally increase after 4 years

1 Like

Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Lordgives777: 10:48am On May 09, 2021
I have tried. There is a guy giving him ill advise just to get favors from him.
I was out of the country and lockdown held me down during the pandemic. I came back and he has totally changed.

WaterTheMonk:
Op sorry for this buy it's not something you will gain from if settled in court.
Call your landlord that you want to see him. Persuade him and show him all the expenses to have spent on the pop.
He should be able to refund something if he is not heartless.
BTW rent normally increase after 4 years
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Lordgives777: 10:50am On May 09, 2021
I dont know any mod here. I will appreciate any help.
Prechgold1180:
Op link your post with any mod
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Freestainworld(m): 11:04am On May 09, 2021
Like your lawyer said, use the quit notice period and the court to buy time, so you can move out, but your landloy is heartless, maybe he now wants to occupy your flat when you move out since you have have pimped the place for him

1 Like

Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Lordgives777: 11:09am On May 09, 2021
No he is not moving to this flat. He stays in his own duplex. He is just wicked and i wish there is more i could do to show him that what he did is not fair.
Freestainworld:
Like your lawyer said, use the quit notice period and the court to buy time, so you can move out, but your landloy is heartless, maybe he now wants to occupy your flat when you move out since you have have pimped the place for him
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by ChiefSosa(m): 11:19am On May 09, 2021
Why didn't he direct you to his lawyer when you wanted to fix POP, he had evil intentions that's why. Immediately after doing evil, now he's running behind lawyer. If na me, i go jejely move, but I go definitely call boys wey go handle am. D landlord must collect wella. No wonder some tenants destroy things in the house when moving. It's hard to do good for some home owners without them turning it to evil. Go to Ghana and see how Naija boys are destroying rented apartments while moving, dem fit turn ur house to uncompleted building sef. No be nice thing to do, but some landlords dey fúck up. Even my previous caretaker for Accra try similar nonsense, I move quietly but no be small debt I put the guy, na better HBP I give d man when I commot. House wey be say na me fix toilet and I pay rent in dollars 'cause real owner dey USA. Anyway, op, listen to your lawyer, if you gats count ur losses then count am and move on, no do anything wey go bring another wahala.
This is the advice the Chief priest in my village said I should give you, he also said you should "fear woman".
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by celeiyke1(m): 11:30am On May 09, 2021
To be sincere with you, you don't give your landlords opportunities to increase your rent or probably put you at the spot. For God's sake how can you invest in a rented apartment when you're yet to get yours. My advice! Go erect your own place no matter how small 'cos your case with your landlord will never end.

1 Like

Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Yansham: 1:40pm On May 09, 2021
You already sent a wrong signal to your landlord that you are financially buoyant and you have money to waste.

Rather than fix POP in your landlord's house, why didn't you move to another apartment with the facilities you desire? I am sure you won't spend up to 1.8m to get a 3-bedroom apartment with POP and other modern facilities in a new house.

Speak to your lawyer to know the next line of action. I believe this is a lesson to other people who might be thinking of doing the same thing as the OP.

1 Like

Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by ezioyi(m): 6:49pm On May 09, 2021
Imagine! That's why igbos build their own house where ever they go. 3.6m, 7.2m in another 4 years. Total 10.8m my friend go find land buy and build a three bed room their to your taste you can use pop all over and plant flowers as you like better thing. Six months is enough for you to save and build your own house, don't come here again to complain about landlord don't give him shishi use this time to save let his insult be your motivation. Stop working for landlords.
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Hundredfold4lif(m): 10:00pm On May 09, 2021
Lordgives777:
Lawyers in the house kindly advice me.

I’m a tenant in a 3 bedroom apartment. I have been living in this apartment for 4 years. I pay my rent as at when due and I have never defaulted,

I decided to renovate my apartment and change the old Slates to POP. I usually do renovations like this in my apartment where my landlord will see it and shower prayers.

Before starting the POP i sense I need to inform him since I have bought the materials. I informed him and he said he had intentions of doing those repairs but since I want to do it then no problem. The lawyer in-charge of the house also came to inspect the materials and said I should go ahead.

After fixing everything and renovating the house. I got a letter from my landlord lawyer increasing my rent from N900,000 to 1.8M.

I called my landlord and he said i should speak to his lawyer as he can’t get involved. I sent the letter to my lawyer and he wrote back stating the fact that i just did some minor repairs, and that 100% increment doesn’t seem fair.
He even went ahead and offered him 1.4M which they refused and gave me a 6 months notice to quite.
Bear in mind that this was 2020 during the pandemic and I never asked them for the money i used in fixing the POP.

In as much as I don’t like to be cheated, I want to make sure I’m getting the right advice from my lawyer as he said i should wait out the six month, then i will get a 7 days notice after which the case will go to court. He said it will be a win/win for me even if the judgement doesn’t favor me. He said I will only pay half of my yearly rent which is 6 months.

I would appreciate any advice on how to tackle this. I would have moved out but the cost of getting a new apartment including all these agency fees is alarming. I can save that up around december and move out.

NAIRALAND, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY INTELLIGENT FOOLS IN HERE?
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Lordgives777: 2:39pm On May 10, 2021
Thank you all. All your contribution is noted.
Re: I Fixed POP, Landlord Increase My Rent. HELP!! by Chosing: 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2021
M

(1) (Reply)

Lands Or 3 Bedroom House To Buy In Lagos Or Abuja and Real Estate advise in PH / 6 Nos Of 3 Bedroom Flat @ Jakande Ajangbadi With C Of O Price: N15m / A Year Only Rent In Ikorodu. Check Them Out: 1,2,3,4, Flats In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.