Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,593 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems (12404 Views)

How Buhari Is Hurting Nigeria’s Electoral Process (Vanguard) / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission / Corruption Undermines Democracy In Nigeria, Electoral Reform And Halliburton As (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 3:17pm On Apr 26, 2011
ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA.
Nigeria's election would go well if   We voted via text messages from the safety of our homes.
No more queues, no more safety management issues and the added               . benefit of a very high voter turnout. 
The process will go like this:
Registration will take place within a specific period and just like the 2011 registration process voter's finger print will taken and upload through the Internet to the INEC data base in order to avoid double voting. A special voter's number will be given to all eligible voters. 
When the time for election/voting comes an entire week will be given for each election instead of just a day. 
The eligible voter, instead of waiting in line to vote, can just pick up his/her phone and send a text message to INEC's number (E.g 444 or 787, etc) his special registration number along with the party to which they want to vote. This immediately gets to a INEC's system. It should also be possible for the results to appear as votes come in at the various INEC centers in the country, sort of like a live election. No coalitions, no ballot boxes, no bomb blasts, no deaths, no rigging since it's impossible with that type of system and reduces the amount of money spent. 
Some might say that some Nigerian don't have phones or don't have access to phones but I'm sure that with a whole week to vote and their own personal voter's number they could easily find a phone unit in order for them to cast they votes. Any vote sent to INEC without a registered voter's number will not be counted so even if an individual has a thousand phones in their possession they can only vote once as long as their registered.
I've given this a lot of thought and so I'm quite certain that this is the best way to ensure free and fair elections without any security risks or having the country shut down. It would be IMPOSSIBLE TO RIG even for PDP that seem to have perfected the art of rigging.

I based this system of voting on those then in the US state known as Oregon where they use a postal system of voting. 
  This was thought up by me, a 16 year old Nigerian living in Rivers State.

1 Like

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 3:47pm On Apr 26, 2011
No comments yet!!
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by gists: 4:06pm On Apr 26, 2011
ogagusps3:

ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA.
Nigeria's election would go well if   We voted via text messages from the safety of our homes.
No more queues, no more safety management issues and the added               . benefit of a very high voter turnout. 
The process will go like this:
Registration will take place within a specific period and just like the 2011 registration process voter's finger print will taken and upload through the Internet to the INEC data base in order to avoid double voting. A special voter's number will be given to all eligible voters. 
When the time for election/voting comes an entire week will be given for each election instead of just a day. 
The eligible voter, instead of waiting in line to vote, can just pick up his/her phone and send a text message to INEC's number (E.g 444 or 787, etc) his special registration number along with the party to which they want to vote. This immediately gets to a INEC's system. It should also be possible for the results to appear as votes come in at the various INEC centers in the country, sort of like a live election. No coalitions, no ballot boxes, no bomb blasts, no deaths, no rigging since it's impossible with that type of system and reduces the amount of money spent. 
Some might say that some Nigerian don't have phones or don't have access to phones but I'm sure that with a whole week to vote and their own personal voter's number they could easily find a phone unit in order for them to cast they votes. Any vote sent to INEC without a registered voter's number will not be counted so even if an individual has a thousand phones in their possession they can only vote once as long as their registered.
I've given this a lot of thought and so I'm quite certain that this is the best way to ensure free and fair elections without any security risks or having the country shut down. It would be IMPOSSIBLE TO RIG even for PDP that seem to have perfected the art of rigging.

I based this system of voting on those then in the US state known as Oregon where they use a postal system of voting. 
  This was thought up by me, a 16 year old Nigerian living in Rivers State.

This is Africa my friend, when quite a number of people believe in having a large family. How do we ensure that a couple withh six children all under 18yrs cannot exploit the situation by getting phones for their under age children. I can just get a phone for my 2-month old baby and vote on his behalf. How about ghost voter (people who don't even exist). This is very childish in my opinion but could be revised to see how to block this holes and others yet to be identified.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:11pm On Apr 26, 2011
This is a beautiful idea, but the only problem is that . . . . . . . . It will be easy for the money bags to now get as much phones as possible, and recruits as many people as possible to vote for them.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:15pm On Apr 26, 2011
the only solution i believe, is givng everyone a social security number at birth, that will go into the computer, and once ur 18, it will automatically allow you to vote, as far as ppl dont have social security number at birth, there will be massive rigging, and death

1 Like

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:18pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

the only solution i believe, is givng everyone a social security number at birth, that will go into the computer, and once your 18, it will automatically allow you to vote, as far as ppl dont have social security number at birth, there will be massive rigging, and death

Remember that the Social Security Number are generated and given by human being?
Even in America there are millions of SSN that are given to ghost . . . .now in a nation where too many ghost collect pay checks at the end of the months, i am sure, that wont even be close to being work
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 26, 2011
well i guess if this cant work,  let us just sit back and relax as the rigging continues, cuz no plan  an stop it then, unless a generation stand up and fight it. so wat plan do you think is better than this?
Fhemmmy:

Remember that the Social Security Number are generated and given by human being?
Even in America there are millions of SSN that are given to ghost . . . .now in a nation where too many ghost collect pay checks at the end of the months, i am sure, that wont even be close to being work
Fhemmmy:

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:28pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

well i guess if this cant work,  let us just sit back and relax as the rigging continues, cuz no plan  an stop it then, unless a generation stand up and fight it. so wat plan do you think is better than this?

Honestly . . . educating the people to see why there is a need for their votes and the votes of others to count is the only way out.
Let people know that the 10,000 Naira that will be given to them every 4 years during election is not enuf for an exchange for their tomorrow
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 4:31pm On Apr 26, 2011
gists:

This is Africa my friend, when quite a number of people believe in having a large family. How do we ensure that a couple withh six children all under 18yrs cannot exploit the situation by getting phones for their under age children. I can just get a phone for my 2-month old baby and vote on his behalf. How about ghost voter (people who don't even exist). This is very childish in my opinion but could be revised to see how to block this holes and others yet to be identified.
I explained above that the registration will go on as usual meaning that only registered people above 18 can vote and if you give your special number to a child to vote for you, you lose your vote it that simple.
1 vote to 1 registered number and only people who register can vote. Of course this doesn't solve the problem of underaged voting cus as we've seen, children were registered up north.
Since it is a live election immidiately you vote ,your vote os collated and realeased in INEC offices nationwide.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:34pm On Apr 26, 2011
ogagusps3:

I explained above that the registration will go on as usual meaning that only registered people above 18 can vote and if you give your special number to a child to vote for you, you lose your vote it that simple.
1 vote to 1 registered number and only people who register can vote. Of course this doesn't solve the problem of underaged voting cus as we've seen, children were registered up north.
Since it is a live election immidiately you vote ,your vote os collated and realeased in INEC offices nationwide.

As long as human being will be the one that will conduct the registration, what will stop someone to register like over 100 times?
Remember they are all of same party and on dual payroll

1 Like

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Honestly . . . educating the people to see why there is a need for their votes and the votes of others to count is the only way out.
Let people know that the 10,000 Naira that will be given to them every 4 years during election is not enuf for an exchange for their tomorrow
well i personally think education cant solve this problem, if there is education and no jobs, what make you think ppl wnt still go about selling vote to eat and live?? to pay their bills?
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by vladimiros: 4:35pm On Apr 26, 2011
wow am not the only 16 year old on NL

good idea mate let be optimistic
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Dave6: 4:37pm On Apr 26, 2011
Ok!  
But with some delusional candidates like buhari, there will be lots of problems.

I mean, taking this year's Presidential elections for instance, the landslide would be an all-time record and since there was No means by which the text messages and contents were being monitored, as they travelled from the voter's phone to INEC's phones and computers, even if party agents eyes were glued to the computer screens, peeps like yinka odumakin, buhari and his running mate would allege the most outrageous eg

the votes leaving the phones of the voters were stopped, harrassed and violated by pdp merceneries in the electromagnetic cyberspace. (the telecom companies fit enter trouble for almajiri hand)
or
for the past 12 years, pdp has been importing phones that would only vote for them
or
the voters, yes! since we could not see them, they were all pdp agents

, and of course inec won't be left out - 'Jega, you know these figures on your screen are not the ones from people's phones. How are we sure they are from people's phones? Show us!'

You see? You can see the noise the semi-literate fellas were making when computers were just involved in Collating the manually counted votes - 'A program was installed  to reduce only cpc's vote by 40 per cent.'

You're really thinking. That's very good. Just keep doing your good work. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution to our electoral problems pretty soon, and also for the world at large!
Take care.

1 Like

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 4:38pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

As long as human being will be the one that will conduct the registration, what will stop someone to register like over 100 times?
Their name, fingerprint and other voting details will be uploaded to INEC's network , double registration will be detectable and cancelled. It's that simple

1 Like

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:39pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

well i personally think education cant solve this problem, if there is education and no jobs, what make you think ppl wnt still go about selling vote to eat and live?? to pay their  bills?

I am not talking about the education in the classrooms, i am talking about educating the voters about why they dont have to sell their votes, why the thugs dont have to shed their blood for some leaders while the children of the so called leaders are in the USA having fun, why the registration agents knows why they shd do well while registering people . . . . .i am not talking about the education between the walls
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

that is why i brought the idea of of SSN, it goes into the comp,
u get to thump print ur hand to a device, were only u will be able to access it, maybe when you turn 16, when sum1 else tries to thumb print for yhu on that device it shows error, with that trust me it will be less rigging,
these device is use in the american embassy.
u get to thumb print with it, and no one else can use it in this world if you aint there, then during election
u just thumb print for whoever you want to vote for
then again there is less computer in nigeria, or am i wrong??
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 26, 2011
Anyway you tried, its all an idea. But the problem is not the technique of ensuring a free/fair election, but the problem is with the people, Its a social problem. Only "Lenin" can solve this problem.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I am not talking about the education in the classrooms, i am talking about educating the voters about why they dont have to sell their votes, why the thugs dont have to shed their blood for some leaders while the children of the so called leaders are in the USA having fun, why the registration agents knows why they shd do well while registering people . . . . .i am not talking about the education between the walls
oh well, the politician knws the way to end this problem of rigging, but if it stop, they wnt be able to rigg much money because they wnt get elected, they are just too smart that wnt do the neccesary things to stop it
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:43pm On Apr 26, 2011
ogagusps3:

Their name, fingerprint and other voting details will be uploaded to INEC's network , double registration will be detectable and cancelled. It's that simple

That actually caught my attention.
And trust me, i love the idea, but what stops the registration officer from allowing the non-eligible voters from making it happen? Nothing.
However, i think with a little twisting here and there, it is possible make this work, and instead of all the money that has been invested in buying some machines that we will never be able to use and some papers that cant be printed in Nigeria and all the money wasted, we could use the next 4 years in finding a better solutions.

Also, it is time that the absentee vote counts too.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

that is why i brought the idea of of SSN, it goes into the comp,
u get to thump print your hand to a device, were only u will be able to access it, maybe when you turn 16, when sum1 else tries to thumb print for yhu on that device it shows error, with that trust me it will be less rigging,
these device is use in the american embassy.
u get to thumb print with it, and no one else can use it in this world if you aint there, then during election
u just thumb print for whoever you want to vote for
then again there is less computer in nigeria, or am i wrong??

Yes, there will be less rigging, but rigging will not be eradicated . . . . . . .but them, look at the nation that is even yet to have a national registry . . . . call any hospital today and ask how many kids was given birth to in the last 5 months, they will have to go and grab all the papers and start counting, in the age of technology . . . . .we are just so behind
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by vladimiros: 4:45pm On Apr 26, 2011
Only "Lenin" can solve this problem.

communism failed in Soviet Union cus of one thing  "GREED"

so it would def fail in Nigeria
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

oh well, the politician knws the way to end this problem of rigging, but if it stop, they wnt be able to rigg much money because they wnt get elected, they are just too smart that wnt do the neccesary things to stop it

You will be shocked that they have no clue on how to stop the rigging and that is why they are still involved in snatching of ballot boxes . . . . .dont be shocked that we have been electing people of less knowledge into offices . . . . .
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 4:47pm On Apr 26, 2011
babaearly:

Anyway you tried, its all an idea. But the problem is not the technique of ensuring a free/fair election, but the problem is with the people, Its a social problem. Only "Lenin" can solve this problem.
Thanks, but I thought this up to keep Nigerians safe. If voting were like this it would have saved the live of so many people.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:49pm On Apr 26, 2011
ogagusps3:

Thanks, but I thought this up to keep Nigerians safe. If voting were like this it would have saved the live of so many people.

If it could work, it will save so much money as well . . . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Yes, there will be less rigging, but rigging will not be eradicated . . . . . . .but them, look at the nation that is even yet to have a national registry . . . . call any hospital today and ask how many kids was given birth to in the last 5 months, they will have to go and grab all the papers and start counting, in the age of technology . . . . .we are just so behind
that was why i talked about computers, damn we are so behind, do you think the national governmet, has any means of importing at least let me say 500000, computers into the country, within 4 years, without financial burden? do you even think a million computer will help?
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

You will be shocked that they have no clue on how to stop the rigging and that is why they are still involved in snatching of ballot boxes . . . . .dont be shocked that we have been electing people of less knowledge into offices . . . . .
Am waiting for the day, we wnt have to choose, the lesser of two or three evils into offices, as candidate,
cus that what we have been doing for the past years, choosing the lesser evils, not the better ones
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 26, 2011
vladimiros:

communism failed in Soviet Union cus of one thing  "GREED"

so it would def fail in Nigeria
and i most say nigerians are very greedy than this ppl self, it definately a failure
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:53pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

that was why i talked about computers, damn we are so behind, do you think the national governmet, has any means of importing at least let me say 500000, computers into the country, within 4 years, without financial burden? do you even think a million computer will help?

It is not the number of computers or the technology that is imported, it is to make sure that the project goes as planned.
it is to make sure that the data collected are OK and reliable, and not just some lazy individual just entering data cos she/he has to enter data, it is about integrity of the data and making sure that the nation really have values.

There are so many ways of making this to happen, and Nigeria has the money and the brain to make it happen, but we have leaders that will not want to see that happen, cos they are greedy and cos they dont want open book for the people to see it.

Go to the Apapa port and you will be ashamed to call Nigeria your country . . . .  Nigeria makes billions on a yearly basis from importation duties and all that, but still using papers there and nothing computerized . . . . .  and you wonder why every December, there is a back log . . . .

back to what we were talking about, till the masses of Nigeria wake up and tell the govt that enuf is enuf and that we want accountability, nothing will change
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 4:54pm On Apr 26, 2011
High voter turnout is also a very big merit with this system.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

Am waiting for the day, we wnt have to choose, the lesser of two or three evils into offices, as candidate,
cus that what we have been doing for the past years, choosing the lesser evils, not the better ones

That is why i have suggested that we change the nation from bottom up . . . . . . I am not saying Fashola is a saint, cos i dont even know him too well, but i have heard of all the praises, so tell me, if it is not possible for every local govt to have such changes
besides, a good road is not a privilege but the right of the people
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:56pm On Apr 26, 2011
ogagusps3:

High voter turnout is also a very big merit with this system.

Very true, cos they could be at the comfort of their office and classroom and vote, no line up in the rain or sunshine, they wont have to worry about bomb blast
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by vladimiros: 4:58pm On Apr 26, 2011
but sad thing is

those underage voters in the North can`t use a phone, or technology

the north would just bitch again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ajimobi Flags-off Reactivation Of Oyo-ogbomosho Road Project / Professor Stephen Ocheni Plagiarises Research Work From Australian University / We’ll No Longer Recognise Results Obtained Under Duress – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.