Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning (1694 Views)

My 2015 Ford Ranger Truck Consumes Fuel More Than Normal / Harmful Effects Of Improper Use Of Automotive Air Conditioning (Pics) / Would You Buy This Air Conditioning Motorcycle Helmet For ₦218 Thousand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 8:04am On May 11, 2021
There's this age old debate about which driving practice is more or less fuel efficient between driving with one's windows down or using the car's air-conditioning.

From most online who've weighed in on this matter, the most convincing so far seems to be to drive with the air-conditioning ON after achieving certain speeds, say over 60km/h, and to take down the windows in stop-and-go traffic. That way petrol gets saved better.

Experienced drivers and car gurus in the house, what do you guys think about this? I'm always open to learning.

GAZZUZZ, Kingreign, Nurey, Radautoworks, HeavenlyBang.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:00am On May 11, 2021
Observer007:
There's this age old debate about which driving practice is more or less fuel efficient between driving with one's windows down or using the car's air-conditioning.

From most online who've weighed in on this matter, the most convincing so far seems to be to drive with the air-conditioning ON after achieving certain speeds, say over 60km/h, and to take down the windows in stop-and-go traffic. That way petrol gets saved better.

Experienced drivers and car gurus in the house, what do you guys think about this? I'm always open to learning.

not enough data (info) to respond

1 Like

Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Idaytesj29(m): 9:54am On May 11, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

not enough data to respond

Send your details, let me credit your acct

1 Like

Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Solsix(m): 10:13am On May 11, 2021
[quote author=Idaytesj29 post=101577236]

Send your details, let me credit your acct[/qu
Should I send mine
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by yesloaded: 10:21am On May 11, 2021
Observer007:

Using Ac will consume fuel than glass down because ac is additional workload on engine. Btw, on high-speed amount of fuel consumption is reduced but glass down in traffic and ac on top speed to me is complete waste of time. I use ac most times and I've never compared it with when glass is down.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:47am On May 11, 2021
There are probably scientific tests for these but the variables are too much. On paper, though, yes, driving in traffic with windows down and AC off, then at high speed with AC on and windows up will almost definitely give you the best fuel economy.

However, is the inconvenience worth it?

3 Likes

Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:00am On May 11, 2021
Idaytesj29:

Send your details, let me credit your acct

Omo see good Samaritan. 08023251039

1 Like

Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by kingreign(m): 12:20pm On May 11, 2021
Observer007:

Not enough data (airtime) to research and revert back on this topic.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by radautoworks: 1:49pm On May 11, 2021
Observer007:

https://milexcompleteautocare.com/blog/tips-for-saving-gas-money

Bonus articles
https://milexcompleteautocare.com/blog/keep-your-cool---check-your-air-conditioner

https://milexcompleteautocare.com/blog/recognizing-the-signs-of-vehicle-engine-damage
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by laivwire(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2021
I agree with your findings Op. I once read moving fast with the windows down causes more drag and more fuel than with windows up. Besides the engine we know today is yet to be so efficient so reduce some of the wasted energy by using the AC.

Atvlow speeds or on stand still, you will definitely use more fuel. Easy to know. During the hot Abuja heat, I seat in the car, turn on the AC and watch my gas mileage dramatically rise to outrageous numbers. grin
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Angrygoat: 5:25pm On May 11, 2021
U wanna know. Study it while in traffic. U go know say ac on in own na lil stress to engine so more gas must burn. But on highway no shaking.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:01am On May 12, 2021
yesloaded:

Using Ac will consume fuel than glass down because ac is additional workload on engine. Btw, on high-speed amount of fuel consumption is reduced but glass down in traffic and ac on top speed to me is complete waste of time. I use ac most times and I've never compared it with when glass is down.

Ok this is from your personal experience sir. Was hoping for a more general answer based on a combination of personal observation and a little bit of personal research. Appreciate you still for the effort. Thanks.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:08am On May 12, 2021
HeavenlyBang:
There are probably scientific tests for these but the variables are too much. On paper, though, yes, driving in traffic with windows down and AC off, then at high speed with AC on and windows up will almost definitely give you the best fuel economy.

However, is the inconvenience worth it?

This paper theory is exactly my thinking, obviously.

About inconvenience, for some people there's also what may be known as 'conveniencee of the pocket.' So you never know.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:15am On May 12, 2021
kingreign:

Not enough data (airtime) to research and revert back on this topic.

Hahahahaha! You too bros. I actually wasn't asking for anyone to conduct any research about the topic, but just wanted to know if it's something that has ever been debated here before or contemplated personally by anyone.. Was purely just curious.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:17am On May 12, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:29am On May 12, 2021
laivwire:
I agree with your findings Op. I once read moving fast with the windows down causes more drag and more fuel than with windows up. Besides the engine we know today is yet to be so efficient so reduce some of the wasted energy by using the AC.

Atvlow speeds or on stand still, you will definitely use more fuel. Easy to know. During the hot Abuja heat, I seat in the car, turn on the AC and watch my gas mileage dramatically rise to outrageous numbers. grin

Splendid. I was yet to hear anyone mention the term "drag", until you came along. I'm usually conscious while at high speeds about how much drag (and petrol consumption) I must be allowing if my windows are down to let the natural breeze serenade my face while driving.

My Solution: if I'm driving alone, especially, I either use the air-conditioning and turn off intermittently while letting the fan continue to blow already cool cabin air until I'm inclined to turn back on OR I crack the windows very slightly enough to let in sufficient air to keep the cabin fresh. That way little or no drag, I believe.

Mainly depends on my mood, body temperature and whether I'm prepared to make another stop very soon at the petrol station.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:36am On May 12, 2021
Angrygoat:
U wanna know. Study it while in traffic. U go know say ac on in own na lil stress to engine so more gas must burn. But on highway no shaking.

Yeàh.
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 12:38am On May 12, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

not enough data (info) to respond

grin
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by yesloaded: 7:51am On May 12, 2021
Observer007:

Splendid. I was yet to hear anyone mention the term "drag", until you came along. I'm usually conscious while at high speeds about how much drag (and petrol consumption) I must be allowing if my windows are down to let the natural breeze serenade my face while driving.

My Solution: if I'm driving alone, especially, I either use the air-conditioning and turn off intermittently while letting the fan continue to blow already cool cabin air until I'm inclined to turn back on OR I crack the windows very slightly enough to let in sufficient air to keep the cabin fresh. That way little or no drag, I believe.

Mainly depends on my mood, body temperature and whether I'm prepared to make another stop very soon at the petrol station.

I suggest you get one Toyota Corolla, you can easily run across as you like & fuel consumption won't trar your pocket grin

With Corolla, you don't need to stress yourself grin
Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by Observer007(m): 11:01pm On May 12, 2021
yesloaded:

I suggest you get one Toyota Corolla, you can easily run across as you like & fuel consumption won't trar your pocket grin

With Corolla, you don't need to stress yourself grin

I once owned a Corolla (for 7 years) and know a few things about its strong points and limitations. I'm not really in a hurry to go for another one.

1 Like

Re: Which Consumes More Petrol: Windows Down Vs Air-conditioning by yesloaded: 7:18am On May 13, 2021
Observer007:

I once owned a Corolla (for 7 years) and know a few things about its strong points and limitations. I'm not really in a hurry to go for another one.

Very good

(1) (Reply)

Honda Power Steering Problems / My KIA Rio 2008- Smokes What Should I Do / Know Your Type Of Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.