Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? (33069 Views)

Tenancy Agreement Samples / Abuja Records 30% Decline On Tenancy Fees / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by ofiko123(m): 2:38pm On May 12, 2021
No don't sign it, be waiting for me..

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by sorom4: 2:39pm On May 12, 2021
I don't know if there are rules applicable to this in Nigeria but Landlords abroad have the right to do this
rottable:
The agreement is okay except for number 4, where it states that the landlord can enter your apartment at any time....... You are about to give away your privacy.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by smasher1(m): 2:40pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
I have no problem with the agreement. I am just looking for hidden clause that may go against me in future in the agreement.
The landlord has issues with the previous tenants and he has vowed never to accept people of that tribe again. The first question he asked me when I showed interest in the house is my tribe

What tribe? The landlord is biased. The agreement was almost okay until the bolded part. I won't sign it
Even for a job, 3 months isn't done. It's 2 weeks notice or you forfeit 2 weeks pay.
I can't tell my landlord when I'm leaving. It's not his right.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Komu1048(m): 2:40pm On May 12, 2021
Softhands:
Most Yoruba landlords hate anything ibo...not because the tribe is bad, but most ibos who live in Lagos have a reckless way of handling other people's property. And the moment such landlord questions their recklessness, they always result in nasty fights...so most Lagos landlords avoid anything ibo.

Not only Yoruba landlords even many igbos landlord do prefer Yoruba as their tenants. But at the end the igbos that can afford some of the price. Some of these places stay dormant from 6months to a year and lastly They manage people from Edo, Delta, South south sha and some cool igbos
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by sorom4: 2:40pm On May 12, 2021
Shut up!!! How many properties do you own? Tribal Bigot
Softhands:
Most Yoruba landlords hate anything ibo...not because the tribe is bad, but most ibos who live in Lagos have a reckless way of handling other people's property. And the moment such landlord questions their recklessness, they always result in nasty fights...so most Lagos landlords avoid anything ibo.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by QuinModah(f): 2:41pm On May 12, 2021
ShineJane:
D tenement rate ,covenant and I also don't see any reason why u should make a copy of your work Id card 4 d landlord. U need to be careful man b4 d man carry ur matter go work. U sef reason am
It's called due diligence, to ascertain If are actually working there and have the ability to pay rent.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by saintruky(m): 2:41pm On May 12, 2021
B4 i moved into my current apartment, my landlord lawyer prepared n served me tenancy agreement, i no gree sign am.. e dey my drawer since i moved in... Cos i noticed some errors which i notified d lawyer about... Niggar no make d adjustments, na me sef lock up..

One day soon, i go sell d paper give aboki make he give me suya in return

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by phkka1(m): 2:45pm On May 12, 2021
This agreement is good for trouble makers like you. After one year, you will like to stay in somebody's house for donkey years without payment. Before you know it, you have taken landlord to court and allow the case to linker as long as you want.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by NoToPile: 2:46pm On May 12, 2021
Its quite okay,

Its not compulsory you sign it, those are his conditions you can sign the agreement, pay and move in or you leave it if not comfortable with it.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by jhoshy55: 2:46pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
So I decided to rent a better apartment for myself. So my landlord gave me this tenancy agreement to sign. This is my first time of signing such since I have been renting house so I decided to bring it here for the Learned and Legal practitioners to help me go through it before signing.
Thanks

Since you are the tenant, it's not your responsibility to pay tenement rate.

I don't get *demise premises* part.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by olawoyetaiwo: 2:47pm On May 12, 2021
if you have given your house to troublesome tenants then you will not blame the landlord...He's just trying to prevent some bad past experiences from happening again...
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 2:48pm On May 12, 2021
Synord:
This is a poorly drafted and ambiguous agreement .

Clause b3 and b4 are ambiguous . The attention aspect of the agreement is ambiguous , unneeded and poorly drafted .

What you are asking for is a professional legal advice which I can offer but of course, it is not free .

I would advise you don’t sign the agreement and if you need proper reasons as to why and what to do next , you can contact me via Pm or seek a nearby lawyer .

Remember , ignorance of the law is not an excuse and violenti non fit injuria .

Is it your drafting?

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 2:48pm On May 12, 2021
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin

Once you sign, you're no longer protected under the applicable Tenancy Laws (If nah Lagos you dey)

You are...
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 2:49pm On May 12, 2021
Rahkman:
This one na blood convenant

The same... but one is tied to blood and the other seems like a cliche!
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by CharleyBright(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2021
1. Pls tell the landlord to remove covenant in the agreement.
2. Tenement Rate is paid by the property owner to the govt, it is not the tenant that pays it. So tell him to remove it.
3. The aspect that says Landlord will be allowed to enter the property anytime, should be "when necessary" for inspection. Anytime here could be whatever period of the day even if it is midnight.
4. I am not too comfortable with the 3months notice for vacation. Someone might not have intention of vacating, but something like sudden transfer or relocation comes up which wouldn't permit 3months notice. That aspect should be amended too.

The Agreement is Ok if all these are corrected.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by fkj950ax(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2021
incogni2o:

tell him to change the word covenant
That's the standard word used in agreements.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2021
somehow:

This must be changed.

The landlord does not have right to enter his premises once payment is made without his permission.

He has oga... duration and time to visit was not stipulated are missing.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by fkj950ax(m): 2:52pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
So I decided to rent a better apartment for myself. So my landlord gave me this tenancy agreement to sign. This is my first time of signing such since I have been renting house so I decided to bring it here for the Learned and Legal practitioners to help me go through it before signing.
Thanks

Apart from typos and the 3 months notice, it's fine.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 2:53pm On May 12, 2021
ecomalchemist:
it's best you build your house to avoid seeing finish from mini gods called landlords. On top say i wan rent your house, you still wan invade my privacy join

Would he not knock before he enters, although he must inform you before he visits.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by edoairways: 2:53pm On May 12, 2021
Softhands:
I don't blame them
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by somehow: 2:53pm On May 12, 2021
drealcivilceno:

He has oga... duration and time to visit was not stipulated are missing.

He said at all times

So if he's with his wife in the bedroom, the landlord have the right to burst in?

Like he's living there for free or what?

Even parents seek permission before entering their children's room.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by boyjo: 2:54pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
Thanks

Since I have been signing tenancy agreement, I have never come across the word, covenant. He should change it. After all, it is tenancy agreement and not tenancy covenant!!!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Lekan239(m): 2:54pm On May 12, 2021
Softhands:
and this same ibos are too dirty.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by conscienceman4(m): 2:55pm On May 12, 2021
Let the word COVENANT be changed to agreement. The more you look the less you see.
He wants to enter your apartment anytime he seems fit, is it SPIRITUAL or physical entry?
If you have not seen something you won't understand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Elzakzaky: 2:59pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
I have no problem with the agreement. I am just looking for hidden clause that may go against me in future in the agreement.
The landlord has issues with the previous tenants and he has vowed never to accept people of that tribe again. The first question he asked me when I showed interest in the house is my tribe
That tribe must be igbotic in nature lipsrsealed
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by PlayMaker14: 3:00pm On May 12, 2021
kaziblake:
I totally agree.They have shown us pepper�
Just because of bigotry which has made you weak upstairs, you forgot that you're from a small Ijaw community?

It's better to remain silent than to speak like a f0ol Thelma....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by pacespot(m): 3:00pm On May 12, 2021
The problem with Nigerians is that if you try to protect one party because of victimization by others they will also use that protection to victimize their opressors. For instance, when the police brutality was rampant and people revolted, then government disbanded the notorious police unit (SARS), that led to a series of indiscriminate attacks against the police. The number one problem that any leader of an African country should have to contend with is maintaining balance in the governance: how to use state apparatuses to protect people from the exploitation by state officials and at the same time prevent civil disobedience or unlawful practices by the citizens.

In a nutshell, everyone has to protect themselves in this country to not be at the receiving end of unimaginable consequences.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by ictjobber: 3:00pm On May 12, 2021
rottable:
The agreement is okay except for number 4, where it states that the landlord can enter your apartment at any time....... You are about to give away your privacy.

Not really.. The tenant can always refuse him entry into his apartment with the excuse that his timing ain’t reasonable.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by 27Pushing30: 3:00pm On May 12, 2021
Reach out to a lawyer some phrases there make no sense I.e he cannot just come to your house and say open door

He has to give notice (appointment) of any such visit.

vision202020:
Thanks
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by boyjo: 3:03pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
Thanks
What is demised premises?
The building don die?
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 3:04pm On May 12, 2021
somehow:

He said at all times

So if he's with his wife in the bedroom, the landlord have the right to burst in?

Like he's living there for free or what?

Even parents seek permission before entering their children's room.

Yes, when you will banging the bed against the wall like you are fighting WW1. I would like to check if a hole has been made somewhere in my house. Come na space you rent abeg!!!

just kidding. No not regularly, though...

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by achillesfoot(m): 3:07pm On May 12, 2021
Synord:
This is a poorly drafted and ambiguous agreement .

Clause b3 and b4 are ambiguous . The attention aspect of the agreement is ambiguous , unneeded and poorly drafted .

What you are asking for is a professional legal advice which I can offer but of course, it is not free .

I would advise you don’t sign the agreement and if you need proper reasons as to why and what to do next , you can contact me via Pm or seek a nearby lawyer .

Remember , ignorance of the law is not an excuse and violenti non fit injuria .

. Fake ass, you are asking for money for advice on ordinary tenancy agreements furthermore saying he shouldn't sign it so he will come back to your lying ass.. What set and which Nigerian law school did u pass out from? Answer that before I take you seriously.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'This House Is Not For Sale': Are They Really Not For Sale? / Aba Tenant Given List Of Items To Contribute Following Death Of His Landlord / A Port Harcourt Neighbourhood Burning This Morning( Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.