Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,651 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. (17343 Views)

National Electricity Grid Crashes From 3,703MW To 9MW / Nation Grid Has Collapsed Again / TCN Statement On System Collapse On The National Electricity Grid. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by civilpeace(m): 2:31pm On May 12, 2021
It was clearly a fulfillment of the treat made by BOKO boys sometimes.

Collapse Ke!
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Bimpe29: 2:47pm On May 12, 2021
Abi ooo
inoki247:
No wonder since yesterday light dey some how....

Wetin neva collapse for this country sef...

Na everything dey collapse...
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by seaenergy: 2:51pm On May 12, 2021
naptu2:
Kaduna Electric @Kadunaelectric

https://twitter.com/Kadunaelectric/status/1392433314473156608
aedcelectricity @aedcelectricity
https://twitter.com/aedcelectricity/status/1392433492848431105

Good day from East-wind energy

East-wind Energy is here for solution to your electricity light off.

East-wind energy; is a new energy producing company, we produce pure generators that are powered by itself generated electricity, the generator doesn’t require anything as gas to power. We produced from 10KW/h to any capacity customer needed even if it is 10000 MW and above. We are here to save Nigerians especially manufacturing companies who have been suffering unstoppable electricity failure in Nigeria. As for your electricity generator count us number one when making arrangements to install energy electricity generator, as our product is better than solar and best for all, 100 times better than solar, best of environmental friendly and the cost is cheaper than solar installation.

Are You Tired Of Buying Fuel/Gas to Power your Combustion engine because of unstable power?
Are You Tired Of Power Outbreaks?

Are you open to new alternative to your electricity power off and on? As a manufacturing company do you wish to wait forever for Electricity Company to restore light before you start work?

As a network company, how long do you intend to continue buying gas to power your mast because of light off?

With our free gas generator; you have 24/7 electricity without waiting for the sun to shine as to compare solar, Use all your electrical appliances to the fullest until electricity company restore light even if it takes them 1 year to restore light, really better than solar.

Contact us Email: cleanenergyelectricity@gmail.com,
Nigeria whatsapp +234 7017339417
Togo whatsapp +228 93 81 72 33
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by ceejayluv(m): 2:56pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:
The problem is

1.The grid is out of date and needs fixing

2.The Trnasmission company of Nigeria is dependent on funds raised by the DISCOS for fixing the grid

3.However, due to the fact that power in Nigeria has been charged at a price below its cost of production, there isn't enough money to fix the grid...and it needs tens of billions of dollars to fix.

4.The way forward is for every house to be metered, and power to be deregulated. Let the DISCOS charge as high as 100 naira per kwh (okay, that's too much tho)...so that they can earn a profit that can be ploughed into fxing the grid and also power generation.

Nigerians should read the PWC report on funding on power in Nigeria. For those who cannot read long story, the summary page is below.

Remeber the GSM....we paid high prices for GSM. We paid as high as 10000 naira for SIM cards alone...if not higher. They earned insane profits...and used those profits to build up our GSM network that provides the basis of our strong IT and telecoms sector.

Let power be deregulated. Then there would be no more system collapse.
@ the Bold fonts: As far as consumers are actually metered on exactly what they consume, they can go ahead.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by ignis: 3:21pm On May 12, 2021
Bad news everywhere.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by meobizy(f): 3:52pm On May 12, 2021
Ahead, ahead. Na to fire generator for my end. “Always pumping,” naim dem dey call me for area.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by lebete3000: 3:56pm On May 12, 2021
Camelot65:
Power outage at exactly that time in my location. It hasn't been restored till now.

Where's your location precisely?
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Lostchild(m): 3:56pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:
The problem is

2.The Trnasmission company of Nigeria is dependent on funds raised by the DISCOS for fixing the grid

3.However, due to the fact that power in Nigeria has been charged at a price below its cost of production, there isn't enough money to fix the grid...and it needs tens of billions of dollars to fix.

4.The way forward is for every house to be metered, and power to be deregulated. Let the DISCOS charge as high as 100 naira per kwh (okay, that's too much tho)...so that they can earn a profit that can be ploughed into fxing the grid and also power generation.

Nigerians should read the PWC report on funding on power in Nigeria. For those who cannot read long story, the summary page is below.

Remeber the GSM....we paid high prices for GSM. We paid as high as 10000 naira for SIM cards alone...if not higher. They earned insane profits...and used those profits to build up our GSM network that provides the basis of our strong IT and telecoms sector.

What you wrote here is pure none sense because is like you are not suffering in this country

Which Telecom network sold Sim card for 10,000? MTN and Econet extort so much from Nigerians by selling Sim at N26,000. If not the fact that it was Glo that brought these thieves to their kneel by selling Sim @ N3000 with N2999 airtime on it. Glo later slash it down to N100/200.

Here where I live, we live in darkness but constantly pay light bills even though we don't see light

Your comment is pure nonesense

3 Likes

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by sisisioge: 4:04pm On May 12, 2021
E reach Oregun Lagos o....I cant shout biko. I just cooked put freezer...no spoil things biko.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 12, 2021
Lostchild:

What you wrote here is pure none sense because is like you are not suffering in this country

Thanks, but I have suffered in this country. And i still live here.

Which Telecom network sold Sim card for 10,000? MTN and Econet extort so much from Nigerians by selling Sim at N26,000. If not the fact that it was Glo that brought these thieves to their kneel by selling Sim @ N3000 with N2999 airtime on it. Glo later slash it down to N100/200.

Largely because MTN and ECONET were able to charge that high, that they earned the profits needed to build the infrastructure that we have for GSM

I mean, all them telecom masts were not built by government.

Plus Glo came in and helped bring down prices by competition....which was how the programme was supposed to go.Since there was no price controls by government, companies were free to set prices...including prices that were below the competitiors....

Now if there had been price controls...we won;t have had the GSM/interent /etc network we have now
Here where I live, we live in darkness but constantly pay light bills even though we don't see light

Your comment is pure nonesense

Yes, because when you pay N30 for something that costs N53 to make .....that is one kwh.....not much of a profit is made to fix things up to the level where we have light 24/7

(I mean right now, we need at least 90000 EXTRA mw...before we can start talking of 24/7 power.Where is the money going to come from....)
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Lostchild(m): 4:27pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

Largely because MTN and ECONET were able to charge that high, that they earned the profits needed to build the infrastructure that we have for GSM

Plus Glo came in and helped bring down prices by competition....which was how the programme was supposed to go.Since there was no price controls by government, companies were free to set prices...including prices that were below the competitiors....

Now if there had been price controls...we won;t have had the GSM/interent /etc network we have now

Yes, because when you pay N30 for something that costs N53 to make .....that is one kwh.....not much of a profit is made to fix things up to the level where we have light 24/7

(I mean right now, we need at least 90000 EXTRA mw...before we can start talking of 24/7 power.Where is the money going to come from....)

The money your leaders steals only in just a month is enough to generate 50,000 MW. Even if the govt provide all the funds needed for stable electric supply, all the money will still disappears

Nigeria is a nation of thieves

1 Like

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 12, 2021
Lostchild:

The money your leaders stole is enough to generate 90,000 MW. Even if the govt provide all the funds needed for stable electric supply, all the money will sti disappears

I frankly doubt that...(a team of experts put the money at $900billion, spent over 30 years in 2016)..plus even if we got back all the stolen money....is it only power we will spend it on? (Educaiton, health, defence, sports, even railways are all waiting)

Plus, it is one thing to build infrastructure, it is another thing to maintain it....which is why we have to eventually pay for power at a rate that makes them discos profitable...so that they can pay for continued maintenance...and upgrades, and expansions.

Nigeria is a nation of thieves

Well, when it is time to prosecute them, people promptly shout 'Persecution'..so nothing happens.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by cabasaa03(m): 4:37pm On May 12, 2021
Nonsense country. The Grid is always collapsing. style to push us to patronize filling stations.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by foreshore(m): 5:32pm On May 12, 2021
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 5:34pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

Decentralising the grid is not the issue...the issue is, are we ready to

1.Allow the power sector set prices that would enable them to make enough of a profit to among other things fund the grid...decentralised or not?

2. Are we all ready to pay our bills.

3.We generate enough power from gas...are the gas companies ready to accept payment in Naira instead of dollars.?

By the way, stop blaming the North. All the DISCOS are running at a loss...meaning that people in the country ..North and South ....are not paying enough to the DISCOS TO Enable them make a profit to fund the TCN and the GENCOS.

That's the problem with power in the country....we don't pay the power sector the kind of money that enables them to make a profit to keep things running well (unlike GSM...which runs well in part because you cannot use a phone without paying for service first)
keep that your low payment crap somewhere else. Do you know how many homes get estimated billings without adequate power to back it up? If you don't know, the advent of pre-paid meters has exposed them the more. You give me darkness, I pay nothing.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

so you're telling us America and other industrialised societies built their power sector through estimated and outrageous billing? You don't establish a novel business without backup funding and technical knowhow. The discos and whatever you call them know little or nothing about electricity, neither do they have the backup capital for adequate investment. How you expect the average consumer to pay for a service not rendered still puzzles the mind.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by VictorUSA(m): 5:49pm On May 12, 2021
Can you imagine?
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Reference(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

Decentralising the grid is not the issue...the issue is, are we ready to

1.Allow the power sector set prices that would enable them to make enough of a profit to among other things fund the grid...decentralised or not?

2. Are we all ready to pay our bills.

3.We generate enough power from gas...are the gas companies ready to accept payment in Naira instead of dollars.?

By the way, stop blaming the North. All the DISCOS are running at a loss...meaning that people in the country ..North and South ....are not paying enough to the DISCOS TO Enable them make a profit to fund the TCN and the GENCOS.

That's the problem with power in the country....we don't pay the power sector the kind of money that enables them to make a profit to keep things running well (unlike GSM...which runs well in part because you cannot use a phone without paying for service first)

Oga stop trying to excuse the 300 pound gorilla in the room. The fellow is correct. Decentralisation is a major factor.

When you breakdown the structure into smaller independent units it is easier for these companies to have stronger bargaining power with their customers and so raise the funding they need to address their peculiarities.

Electricity does not have to cost the same everywhere in Nigeria. Those near gas fields ahould have it cheaper from gas plants. Those who are thousands of kilometres away and require huge investment in power infrastructure should pay a premium to have it.

That is what will stimulate the construction of power plants throughout Nigeria using local energy sources. The north-east has the largest hydro potentials in Nigeria but the Mambila dam continues to be an electoral football simply because consumers in the south pay a premium to have gas fed power sent all the way from the delta which is highly inefficient and terribly wasteful and expensive

Decentralise the power sector and the north will attract investment in solar which they have the land and climate for and hydro which they have abundant potentials.

But ignorance, greed and laziness won't let them.

Oga. You simply cannot have cheap electrcity if you cannot produce it where it is demanded, period. And if all the GSM networks today in Nigeria were asked to share transmission infrastructure, towers, base stations and the whole lot, they will all have been out of business because the system will have collapsed to the ground.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 12, 2021
Reference:

Oga stop trying to excuse the 300 pound gorilla in the room. The fellow is correct. Decentralisation is a major factor.

When you breakdown the structure into smaller independent units it is easier for these companies to have stronger bargaining power with their customers and so raise the funding they need to address their peculiarities.

Electricity does not have to cost the same everywhere in Nigeria. Those near gas fields ahould have it cheaper from gas plants. Those who are thousands of kilometres away and require huge investment in power infrastructure should pay a premium to have it.

That is what will stimulate the construction of power plants throughout Nigeria using local energy sources. The north-east has the largest hydro potentials in Nigeria but the Mambila dam continues to be an electoral football simply because consumers in the south pay a premium to have gas fed power sent all the way from the delta which is highly inefficient and terribly wasteful and expensive

Decentralise the power sector and the north will attract investment in solar which they have the land and climate for and hydro which they have abundant potentials.

But ignorance, greed and laziness won't let them.

Oga. You simply cannot have cheap electrcity if you cannot produce it where it is demanded, period. And if all the GSM networks today in Nigeria were asked to share transmission infrastructure, towers, base stations and the whole lot, they will all have been out of business because the system will have collapsed to the ground.

Well, if you read my post, you would see that i did not speak against dececntralisation, rather I spoke about the fact that the sector is not earning enough cash in the first place to make decentraisation work well

If it is not earning enough cash....decentralisation won't help much. We would still be back to square one. Decentralisaiton is fine...but equipment, workers, etc have to be paid for...and we can't pay for it if we aren't making the sector profitable.

Modified: The issue I am focusing on more is summarized in the below page from this report

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 12, 2021
franciskaine:
so you're telling us America and other industrialised societies built their power sector through estimated and outrageous billing? You don't establish a novel business without backup funding and technical knowhow. The discos and whatever you call them know little or nothing about electricity, neither do they have the backup capital for adequate investment. How you expect the average consumer to pay for a service not rendered still puzzles the mind.

Well, backup or no backup funding....if you charge for power at a loss, you won't earn enough money to make back your investment.

Businesses are not charities, yet we expect them to be in Nigeria.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 12, 2021
franciskaine:
keep that your low payment crap somewhere else. Do you know how many homes get estimated billings without adequate power to back it up? If you don't know, the advent of pre-paid meters has exposed them the more. You give me darkness, I pay nothing.

And do you know that 40% of people don't pay for power at all, plus, even with estimated billing...the amount we pay per lkwh is less than the amount needed.

Well, I'll leave you with the below graphic. It's from the PWC report on liqudity in the power sector. I suggest you read it.

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by naptu2: 6:44pm On May 12, 2021
TCN Statement On System Collapse On The National Electricity Grid.
https://www.nairaland.com/6550536/tcn-statement-system-collapse-national
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by favor914: 7:20pm On May 12, 2021
kollinz1234:
Everything in this country has collapsed and that's an indication on how terrible it is to place a Fulani man in charge of anything at all. Since the Fulani started heading everything in the country, everything has collapsed.

Nigeria doesn't sound like a country, it just sounds like the name of an abortion pills
You couldn’t be further from the truth, most lack the vision for the 21st century challenges & just so ironic the electricity grid collapse occurred on Eid-el-Fitr? Congrats.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by Reference(m): 9:04pm On May 12, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

Well, if you read my post, you would see that i did not speak against dececntralisation, rather I spoke about the fact that the sector is not earning enough cash in the first place to make decentraisation work well

If it is not earning enough cash....decentralisation won't help much. We would still be back to square one. Decentralisaiton is fine...but equipment, workers, etc have to be paid for...and we can't pay for it if we aren't making the sector profitable.

Modified: The issue I am focusing on more is summarized in the below page from this report

I still submit that you can only get right pricing when.you decentralise and with it comes liberalisation. The power market is still heavily controlled centrally, by government so these so called power companies are fighting with one hand tied behind their backs

They buy power at government price, send it to government nominated customers and receive government approved income.

Compare it to telecoms where communication tariffs vary widely because services offered vary widely too and all because government doesn't tell them what to do and who to give service or not.

We jave said it from time. The model of power privatisation is not workable. It creates a chicken and egg scenario between investment and tariff income, a scenario we never saw in the telecommunications privatisation deapite the fact that teleccoms companies started from scratch, zero investmemt, wheras power comoanies inherited infrastructure and a customer base.

The tariffs is not the ultimate problem. It is the structure of the industry that is. Get the structure right and I tell you Nigerians have enough residual generating capacity to stabilize power in Nigeria.

Private owners of huge power plants should be able to sell power in a right thinking model but who will send it into a so called narional grid where government is not a fair or sound arbiter.
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by loswhite(m): 5:40am On May 13, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:
The problem is

Since they increased the tariff have you noticed a single change? How do you convince ppl to pay more when just recently we had a cost or service base reflective tariffs and yet nothing to show
Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by naptu2: 6:01am On May 13, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:
The problem is

naptu2:

We are gradually, very gradually getting there, but it's going to be difficult. I thought about this for a long time.

One of the reasons that the changes in the telecoms sector from 1989 to 2001 worked is because people had choices. In 1989 Nitel introduced IDD into Victoria Island and then increased the tariff. One of my uncles had to complain to another of my relatives that worked at Nitel that he didn't want the service, he didn't need the service, so why should he have to pay for it? Ditto when the exchanges went digital in 1991.

When mobile phones were introduced in 1993 they were incredibly expensive to own and maintain, but the general public did not complain because they had their landlines. The reason that people bore the expensive tariffs of the GSM companies is because they had alternatives. There was Nitel landline and PTOs like Multilink, Intercellular and Mobitel.

The problem with power is that it's not everybody that can pay higher tariffs, yet people need power. That's where the willing buyer, willing seller model comes in. Places like Mogodo Estate have reached an agreement with their disco that they would get 24 hours power, but they would pay a cost reflective tariff. Gradually other estates will come on board and hopefully the discos will get enough money to pay off their debts and upgrade their equipment.

However, some people are already complaining about the willing buyer willing seller model because they say it takes power away from the poor.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. by blessingtee: 8:10pm On Dec 03, 2021
mokset123:
recently discos charge as high as ~N50 for areas that get an average of 12 hours of light an above, still we are in same mess, just recently did BEDC start installing meters in certain areas where they have mapped.

Hhh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Hausas/fulanis And Yorubas Really Want 'one Nigeria' With Igbo ? / A Soldier Teaching IDPs In Borno Camp (Photo) / Governor Willie Obiano Inspects Work On 280 Meter Bridge Leading To Oilfields

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.