Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,229 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... (345 Views)

Pastor Uche Aigbe Charged With Unlawful Possession Of AK-47 Rifle / Pastor Citronnelli Delivers Lady From MouthAction Demon. See Reactions / Priest Calls For Back Up Over Increase In Demon Possession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by sonmvayina(m): 1:24pm On May 12, 2021
Demons got introduced to the early Christians and Jews via the Roman occupation. It is just another example of myths and religious beliefs of the times being mixed in with Judaism to create the whole Jesus myth. Demons are a remnant of ancient mythology that got mixed in with other myths and religious ideas to form Christian beliefs. But this ancient remnant still works as a powerful deterrent against questioning beliefs or allowing reason to penetrate the thick wall that Christians place around their fragile faith. It is part of the reason that Christians feel that they can't trust their own thought processes, and it works alongside the fear of hell to keep people enslaved to a dangerous ancient myth.

In the New Testament demons were blamed for physical ailments and psychological disorders.
But in reality, demons were not responsible for all the things that people would have blamed on them 2000 years ago. If Jesus was God, wouldn't he have known that he was actually helping a chemical imbalance or neurological disorder in a person's head, rather than casting out demons?

In modern days, most reported cases do not require an exorcism because twentieth-century Catholic officials regard genuine demonic possession as an extremely rare phenomenon.

Often someone will just need medical help, which makes it clear demonic possession is another tool employed by the Catholic Church to subdue its parishioners.
Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by 1Sharon(f): 2:39pm On May 31, 2021
Notice how atheists never complain about demonic possession

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On May 31, 2021
Is the OP's conclusion that demons only exist within Christian(Catholic included) realm? undecided
1Sharon:
Notice how atheists never complain about demonic possession
That is actually not true! There are atheists out there who are deep into the occultic and they swear by it too. undecided
Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by 1Sharon(f): 3:00pm On May 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Is the OP's conclusion that demons only exist within Christian(Catholic included) realm? undecided
That is actually not true! There are atheists out there who are deep into the occultic and they swear by it too. undecided

Mainly within the religious realm. Atheists hardly complain about demonic possession, ogbanje, witches. The point is, people create their own reality. What you believe is real for you.

I never said anything about atheists being into the occult or not. Are you implying people complaining about demonic possession are occultic, including Christians and Muslims?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On May 31, 2021
1Sharon:
Mainly within the religious realm. Atheists hardly complain about demonic possession, ogbanje, witches. The point is, people create their own reality. What you believe is real for you.

I never said anything about atheists being into the occult or not. Are you implying people complaining about demonic possession are occultic, including Christians and Muslims?
Go to psychiatric hospitals and ask those atheists there who yet believe their mind and body have been invaded by a force outside of themselves whether theirs is a complaint or not then. undecided

My point is the belief in existence of demons, a the power they supposedly have, go beyond religion. undecided
Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by 1Sharon(f): 3:30pm On May 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Go to psychiatric hospitals and ask those atheists there who yet believe their mind and body have been invaded by a force outside of themselves whether theirs is a complaint or not then. undecided

My point is the belief in existence of demons, a the power they supposedly have, go beyond religion. undecided

I said HARLDY and not never which is an an absolute. You aren't refuting my point.

The idea of demons and demonic possession comes from religion. Atheists don't push those beliefs and fear mongering.

Atheists who think they've seen anything supernatural are often mentally ill. For religious people especially, seeing these things are perceived as normal and expected for a believer.

People create their own reality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On May 31, 2021
1Sharon:

The idea of demons and demonic possession comes from religion. Atheists don't push those beliefs and fear mongering.

Atheists who think they've seen anything supernatural are often mentally ill. For religious people especially, seeing these things are perceived as normal and expected for a believer.
People create their own reality.
Again...
Kobojunkie:

Nowhere in my post do I suggest that all atheists who believe in demons or existence of aliens are mentally ill. undecided
Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by 1Sharon(f): 5:08pm On May 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again... Nowhere in my post do I suggest that all atheists who believe in demons or existence of aliens are mentally ill. undecided

If you see demons, witches, ogbanje, you are mentally ill. Christian or atheist.

3 Likes

Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On May 31, 2021
1Sharon:

If you see demons, witches, ogbanje, you are mentally ill. Christian or atheist.
Really? According to what? DSM-1Sharon? undecided
Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by 1Sharon(f): 6:44pm On May 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Really? According to what? DSM-1Sharon? undecided

Hallucinations are a sign of mental illness smiley

2 Likes

Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On May 31, 2021
1Sharon:
Hallucinations are a sign of mental illness.
First of all hallucinations is not conclusive evidence of mental illness. Pick up and read the DSM5 for better understanding of mental illness. undecided
Second, what has demons to do with hallucinations? undecided
Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by 1Sharon(f): 6:55pm On May 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
First of all hallucinations is not conclusive evidence of mental illness. Pick up and read the DSM5 for better understanding of mental illness. undecided
Second, what has demons to do with hallucinations? undecided

Hallucinations are either caused by drugs, medications or mental illness.

Anyone who claims to see demons, ogbanjes, witches, Jesus is hallucinating and is mentally ill smiley

1 Like

Re: Demon Possession And Exorcism, Thoughts.... by triplechoice(m): 7:37pm On May 31, 2021
1Sharon:

Hallucinations are either caused by drugs, medications or mental illness.

Anyone who claims to see demons, ogbanjes, witches, Jesus is hallucinating and is mentally ill smiley

When an individual is not on drugs, medications and has been certified mentally OK by a psychiatric doctor and yet still continue to see "things" , what then is the cause?
I have met people like that and still do. In fact have a friend who is a very brilliant lawyer and he sees things . But he doesn't refer to what he sees as demons..
Modified. Forgot to add that what my friend sees usually correspond to reality

(1) (Reply)

Is This Statement True About God...? / Miracle Money: Apostle Johnson Suleman Lacks Character, Cannot Sue For Defamati / Can My Job Be Considered A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.