Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future (1536 Views)

Obidents On Clubhouse Make Plans To Destroy MC Oluomo And Agberos In SW / 2023: After Ortom, Fayose’s Outbursts, Atiku, PDP Govs Make Plans To Visit Wike / We Are Worried About Movement Of Almajiris Into Our Region - SouthEast Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by socialmediaman: 7:58pm On May 12, 2021
How are unemployment, dysfunctional education system, corruption in the police, military and security agencies contributing to the growth of local armed militias and heightened insecurity in the country? This article does a very minimalist summary on these trends that should make you worried and motivate you to get a plan B while we all pray and hope for the best.

Unemployment
The numbers are amazing. Nigeria has one of the highest unemployment rates in the world at 27%. You also find countries like South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Palestine and Bosnia Herzegovina on the list. But why is Nigeria’s unemployment rate very important? Because the 27% translates to about 54 million jobless people, almost the entire population of South Africa. With corrupt political and porous security systems which can be exploited by bad actors, insecurity will likely continue to rise. Make no mistake about it, the monster we created is only just waking up.

Dysfunctional Education System
Our education system is rigged with uncontrolled violence by various armed and violent groups. So let’s make an informed guess. With the school system bugged by frequent closures and striking lecturers, in what way can these bad students add their quota to the society? Your guess is as good as mine. Kidnappings, robberies, armed violence are not the products of only known armed insurgents.

Just recently, the ministry of education noted that more than 10 million children were out of school in Nigeria. This is very concerning as Nigeria is raising a very vulnerable, and most likely misinformed and poorly skilled population, at the same time when the rest of the world is expanding access to education.

Corruption
We cannot overemphasize the level of corruption in Nigeria at all levels and agencies including local, state and federal. When this level of corruption also thrives in the institutions meant to defend and protect the country and its people, the problem becomes a pandemic and threatens everything else in the society. Nigeria has been in this corruption pandemic for a while now and we could only hope that the politicians realize what dangerous path they have put Nigeria on for a very long time. I don’t need to speculate what will happen next.

Summary
There isn’t doubt that unemployment, dysfunctional education system, corruption among many other factors are contributing to the rise of insecurity in the country. The question is, how bad will things get? Will things get better? What facts do you have to show that things will get better, if they have been getting worse as predicted long ago?

The monster that we are evolving today was created and developed over time, possibly dating back to independence. In a broadcast by Chukwuma Nzeogwu after the first coup de tat in 1966 led by him, his words were “we seized power to stamp out tribalism, nepotism and regionalism”. These are various elements of corruption which only mean that we have been on this path for much longer than recently.

The Way Forward
Let’s be clear about one thing. There’s no sincere effort to fix the problems of Nigeria. Even if such effort and sincerity existed, it could take years or even decades to achieve the desired result. The point is, we should all be more mindful and realistic about the future of Nigeria based on today’s circumstances, and make appropriate plans.

God Bless Us All

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by Hashabiah: 8:08pm On May 12, 2021
True talk. Canada here I come!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 12, 2021
Break Nigeria Up For Progress

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by viyon02: 8:28pm On May 12, 2021
Good write up op, every Nigerian should have plan or plans for the future. Untill when things will get better, I guess the best plan is to jet out of this country if anyone can afford it: l told my friend whose girl friend is working with Lagos State should start thinking about how to move out of this country and have their kids outside this country, and he told me he can't raise such money. And I said he can easily get a loan through his fiancee and then apply for work and study in any European country where study is free, through that he can pay back the loan through hard work: then in no time he will move his wife over. I think he is working on it now. The only people that still believe in this country are the: politicians, fulanis, Yahoo boys, pastors and the ritualistics. And if you are not among these groups then you should have a plan.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by socialmediaman: 8:34pm On May 12, 2021
viyon02:
Good write up op, every Nigerian should have plan or plans for the future. Untill when things will get better, I guess the best plan is to jet out of this country if anyone can afford it: l told my friend whose girl friend is working with Lagos State should start thinking about how to move out of this country and have their kids outside this country, and he told me he can't raise such money. And I said he can easily get a loan through his fiancee and then apply for work and study in any European country where study is free, through that he can pay back the loan through hard work: then in no time he will move his wife over. I think he is working on it now. The only people that still believe in this country are the: politicians, fulanis, Yahoo boys, pastors and the ritualistics. And if you are not among these groups then you should have a plan.

I doubt if politicians believe in this country. If they do, they won’t be giving birth to their kids abroad and their kids will not be studying abroad and only coming back to take up political positions.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by EKONGKING: 8:35pm On May 12, 2021
OP ,you made excellent points ,i just want to add another important point.

rampant growth of poplutation
Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by Winnerforever: 8:35pm On May 12, 2021
socialmediaman:
How are unemployment, dysfunctional education system, corruption in the police, military and security agencies contributing to the growth of local armed militias and heightened insecurity in the country? This article does a very minimalist summary on these trends that should make you worried and motivate you to get a plan B while we all pray and hope for the best.

Unemployment
The numbers are amazing. Nigeria has one of the highest unemployment rates in the world at 27%. You also find countries like South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Palestine and Bosnia Herzegovina on the list. But why is Nigeria’s unemployment rate very important? Because the 27% translates to about 54 million jobless people, almost the entire population of South Africa. With corrupt political and porous security systems which can be exploited by bad actors, insecurity will likely continue to rise. Make no mistake about it, the monster we created is only just waking up.

Dysfunctional Education System
Our education system is rigged with uncontrolled violence by various armed and violent groups. So let’s make an informed guess. With the school system bugged by frequent closures and striking lecturers, in what way can these bad students add their quota to the society? Your guess is as good as mine. Kidnappings, robberies, armed violence are not the products of only known armed insurgents.

Just recently, the ministry of education noted that more than 10 million children were out of school in Nigeria. This is very concerning as Nigeria is raising a very vulnerable, and most likely misinformed and poorly skilled population, at the same time when the rest of the world is expanding access to education.

Corruption
We cannot overemphasize the level of corruption in Nigeria at all levels and agencies including local, state and federal. When this level of corruption also thrives in the institutions meant to defend and protect the country and its people, the problem becomes a pandemic and threatens everything else in the society. Nigeria has been in this corruption pandemic for a while now and we could only hope that the politicians realize what dangerous path they have put Nigeria on for a very long time. I don’t need to speculate what will happen next.

Summary
There isn’t doubt that unemployment, dysfunctional education system, corruption among many other factors are contributing to the rise of insecurity in the country. The question is, how bad will things get? Will things get better? What facts do you have to show that things will get better, if they have been getting worse as predicted long ago?

The monster that we are evolving today was created and developed over time, possibly dating back to independence. In a broadcast by Chukwuma Nzeogwu after the first coup de tat in 1966 led by him, his words were “we seized power to stamp out tribalism, nepotism and regionalism”. These are various elements of corruption which only mean that we have been on this path for much longer than recently.

The Way Forward
Let’s be clear about one thing. There’s no sincere effort to fix the problems of Nigeria. Even if such effort and sincerity existed, it could take years or even decades to achieve the desired result. The point is, we should all be more mindful and realistic about the future of Nigeria based on today’s circumstances, and make appropriate plans.

God Bless Us All

True. There is no hope for Nigeria , we need a new arrangement.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by viyon02: 8:40pm On May 12, 2021
socialmediaman:

I doubt if politicians believe in this country. If they do, they won’t be giving birth to their kids abroad and their kids will not be studying abroad and only coming back to take up political positions.
they believe in this country I mean (they have money to loot and they can afford anything) I don't mean they have interest of the country in mind.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by socialmediaman: 9:03pm On May 12, 2021
viyon02:
they believe in this country I mean (they have money to loot and they can afford anything) I don't mean they have interest of the country in mind.

Yes I get your point.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 15, 2021
It's true. There are problems in Nigeria. But of what use is it that you inform us of the worries without a solution or at least anything to mitigate it. I mean, your write up would have been deserving of more praise if you actually defined what you mean by a plan. Or is it the usual "Japa" thing?
Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by DropsMic(m): 1:58pm On May 18, 2021
I just tire
Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by Thermodynamics(m): 8:09am On Sep 07, 2021
Nigerians eh, Una too like suffer and complain.
The Country is in a mess, you all know this but you don't support the break up of Nigeria. That is the solution, Nigeria should break so that each region can elect new politicians with very strict law like death penalty for corruption. THE ONLY SOLUTION IS DIVISION.

You are tired of Nigeria,
you don't believe in Nigeria,
you are suffering in Nigeria

BUT YOU FIGHT AND INSULT NNAMDI KANU AND SUNDAY IGBOHO WHEN THEY CALL FOR SUCCESSION.

IT'S EITHER PEOPLE LIKE THIS ARE CONFUSE, OR THEY LIKE SUFFERING IN NIGERIA.

WHAT NNAMDI KANU IS CALLING FOR IS REFERENDUM, MEANING THE OPPORTUNITY FOR EACH TRIBE TO EITHER:

CHOOSE IF THEY WANT TO STAY IN NIGERIA,

OR GO WITH ODUDUWA, OR GO WITH BIAFRA,

OR FORM THEIR OWN COUNTRY.
Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:39am On Sep 07, 2021
Hashabiah:
True talk. Canada here I come!!! grin

Finland, we are here too

God Bless Us All
Re: Why You Should Be Worried About Nigeria And Make Plans For The Future by Nonyeadamu: 11:40am On Sep 07, 2021
This is a good analysis. Somebody should help me with abroad bikọ.

(1) (Reply)

I Am A Northerner But I Stand With Sunday Igboho / IPOB Told Schools With Green In Their Uniforms To Change Them Immediately. / Video: Biafra ARMY Supreme Commander Threatening Anambra Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.