Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,030 members, 7,953,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:34 AM

U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers (37379 Views)

Russia Turns Off Nord Stream Pipeline Supplying Gas To Europe, Cites "Oil Leak" / Trump: Why I Refused To Pay Ransom To Nigerian Kidnappers (Video) / Iran Hackers Hack Into American Government’s Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by kingmsookwagh(m): 1:56am On May 14, 2021
See cash out ahbeg!

The case is still under investigation..

Just watch, them go catch the criminals.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by saajus: 2:02am On May 14, 2021
The need to sack all their network and security Engineers.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Cousin9999: 2:06am On May 14, 2021
WoundedLamb:

I meant the payment. The American government did not make any payment. So saying they made this to protect white house secrets is just off.

Government agencies (like the FBI) got involved because infrastructure is obviously serious. I don't doubt the government would also spend money given the impact this has on consumers, investors, trade, security, and other areas. Furthermore, the same people hacking this company are going after anyone and anything they can. No, they wouldn't go after military or other well-protected things (without backing from a nation), but they can target smaller agencies and private companies that deal with government and other sensitive information.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by sunboy(m): 2:11am On May 14, 2021
Cyberterror:
The United States do negotiate with terrorists contrary to what they spit in public.

Read read una no go hear. The article said that Company paid, not the government SMH
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by sunboy(m): 2:14am On May 14, 2021
sircatherine45:
i thought they said Biden is better... nonsense!

So the US President not defend against hacking too hahaha they must have been super-humans ... I don’t see how this has got to anything to do with the President. Many cities and counties were hacked during Trumps tenure ..Baltimore city and a city in Florida very notable. That has got nothing to do with the President sir
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by sunboy(m): 2:21am On May 14, 2021
BuddhaPalm:

The US negotiates with "terrorists".

Obama did a prisoner exchange in 2014.

He exchanged Five Taliban held at Guantanamo Bay for some US sergent.

Also, Google the Iran Contra affair.

Now imagine the others that never come to light.

So in your own dictionary Iran is now a terrorist organization?? Smh

And yes, govt probably do it on back end, negotiate, achieve their aim then go bombard them later. And such don’t come to light, unless it gets declassified after 2-3 decades.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by sunboy(m): 2:23am On May 14, 2021
SouthSouth1914:

From my point of view, I mean holding the US government to ransom asking for financial means not prisoner exchange!

Exactly my point, and Iran is a country not a terrorist organization.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by saajus: 2:32am On May 14, 2021
I think organizations need to weigh in speed vs security. Americans love speed, that's why their systems/networks are so easy to crack. It's not because they are not intelligent enough to harden them. Americans don't want to wait for hours or days to clear a cheque. Nobody wants to wait so long for any service. Everything is Ozugbo, Ozugbo. Hackers and scammers see those flaws in their systems and they exploit them. American organizations don't really care because they already make budgets and insurances for the expected damages. All those waste they've made allocation for made their products and services more expensive than Europe and advanced Asian countries.

Their systems would be more secured if they can sacrifice a little speed by running a few processes manually or semi-manually. They should also air-gap some systems. If not, the hacking parties continue. They would surely recover from many hacking without paying a dime but their networks may be down for a few hours/days.

Tdotbluejays:

Men, there is but systems are so complex nowadays that manual alternatives are just not viable.
I work in the power industry and despite the millions being invested in internet security, the greatest fear/risk of the company is still Russian hackers getting into out transmission system.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by INCREDIBLE007(m): 2:39am On May 14, 2021
RANSOMEWARE ATTACKS
AT ITS PEAK
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by olmoRoc: 2:50am On May 14, 2021
inoki247:
ehn ehn our able America dey bow to online terrorist now...

If any hacker try hack NNPC for here na empty barrel e dey hack....

Hmm! Are you trying to enlighten our legislooters on the latest means of holding the country to ransom?
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Nobody: 2:57am On May 14, 2021
Toosure70:
I'm hacker . The world belongs to us

please i want to learn hacking too because it my dream to become a cyber security expert can you please guide me on how to start.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Benrosaria(m): 3:02am On May 14, 2021
I saw this coming. And why should they pay using cryptocurrency. Fucking liars. So how long will that money last for another cyberattack again
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Benrosaria(m): 3:08am On May 14, 2021
I love this write up. Technology is fast rising. Where are we going to ? The savvy the tech the porous the risk. I am open to corrections
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by AbdulHakeem44(m): 3:09am On May 14, 2021
Toosure70:

The future war will be cyber,

All aircraft, water vessels and submarines will be fully automated, no human intervention. By then, power will belong to the country with the maddest hackers to hack enemy's unmanned weapons which is connected to space satellite controlled from military power room of each country.

That is why technology and innovations are the areas of focus for the militaries of powerful countries.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by ntyce(m): 3:44am On May 14, 2021
WoundedLamb:

The US government? Colonial Pipeline Co., is a privately held company. It is owned by five sets of investors:

1) Koch Industries (28.09%) USA
2) South Korea's National Pension Service and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (23.44%) South Korea
3) Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (16.55%) Canada
4) Royal Dutch Shell (a.k.a. Shell Pipeline Company (16.12%) Netherlands
5) IFM Investors (15.80%) Australia

Who negotiated with the Taliban in Afghanistan?
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by grandstar(m): 4:00am On May 14, 2021
orikoku:
Wonderful. I can't believe American government can pay such.

It's not the US government. It's a private company.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by grandstar(m): 4:01am On May 14, 2021
Cyberterror:
The United States do negotiate with terrorists contrary to what they spit in public.

It's the private company that runs the pipeline that paid and not the US government
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by illitracy: 4:20am On May 14, 2021
There is a serious need to educate your employees and address them almost daily. You won't believe if I tell you just one employee was compromised to execute that payload. RCE will probably not have been possible even 0 day as such a company must have a very good AI security infrastructure. Hackers result to mind hacking to execute payload.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Nobody: 4:29am On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:
sad

American govt dont negotiate with terrorist...... American firms can do so if necessary but govt DO NOT. take note.
Saddam, Ghadafi and that Iranian general all come to mind. Once them try reason you peacefully make u stop you no gree, sorry na ur name.

Ghadafi was never a terrorist! Take note!!
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by temitope27(m): 4:47am On May 14, 2021
inoki247:
ehn ehn our able America dey bow to online terrorist now...

If any hacker try hack NNPC for here na empty barrel e dey hack....
fear those Russians
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 5:04am On May 14, 2021
Nah this kind thing I won dey do... why my parents no send me computer school instead they sent me to school where typewriter machines are seen as computer... even the useless shorthand and French they were forcing on us those days as if we won migrate to France is of no use to me in this present era... who go teach me how to hack and do programming
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by rottennaija(m): 5:11am On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:
sad

American govt dont negotiate with terrorist...... American firms can do so if necessary but govt DO NOT. take note.
Saddam, Ghadafi and that Iranian general all come to mind. Once them try reason you peacefully make u stop you no gree, sorry na ur name.

Keep the delusion going.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by rottennaija(m): 5:12am On May 14, 2021
ntyce:

Who negotiated with the Taliban in Afghanistan?

Don't mind them. Let them keep denying.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Bluntemperor: 5:38am On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:
sad

Bro,you got sense!
People just type without reading the topics:
An American Coy.that is involved in Public distribution and discovered that Hackers have stalled their works and is affecting their image and potential liabilities from being sue by the public, got the Hackers to negotiate on the way forward.The American govt,is seriously frowning that such incidents took place without her being notified.The two incidents differs.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by hola106(m): 5:46am On May 14, 2021
Toosure70:
hack my nairaland account
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Unrated900(m): 6:01am On May 14, 2021
See the real scam
If na here efcc go don Dey show them for papers snapping them
Collecting their cars
At the end still auction them
Corrupt organization
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by CSTRR: 6:09am On May 14, 2021
orikoku:
Wonderful. I can't believe American government can pay such.
It was not paid by the US govt.

It was paid by the private company that was hacked.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by EgunMogaji2: 6:10am On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:
sad

You’re correct.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by princemillla(m): 6:12am On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:
sad

Stop saying what u don't know.... America and Russia have been having this cyber war for a while now. Am am sure u read the article they didn't want to pay but then eventually paid cuz it was Russia hacker thats are involved.

What stops America from negotiating with hacker especially wen it's coming from a country of might like Russia.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by CSTRR: 6:13am On May 14, 2021
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by CSTRR: 6:17am On May 14, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Donald Trump Bombarded With Insults By Twitter Followers (Pics) / Lithuania Abandons Russian Gas. First European Nation To Do So. / Massive Number Of Ravens In Kiev’s Skies Causes The Locals To Fear ( Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.