Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers (37095 Views)

Russia Turns Off Nord Stream Pipeline Supplying Gas To Europe, Cites "Oil Leak" / Trump: Why I Refused To Pay Ransom To Nigerian Kidnappers (Video) / Iran Hackers Hack Into American Government’s Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by colorsofrainbow: 11:08am On May 14, 2021
maasoap:

Dullard grade one. If their act is tagged cyber terrorism, what are they again? I don't blame you, you have conditioned yourself to automatically think about killing once you heard the word "terrorist". Educated illiterate
Use that to justify bokoharam act..
Where your wisdom don Carry u reach?
Terrorist!
Educated almajiri cum afonja
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by maasoap(m): 11:16am On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:
sad
[s] American govt dont negotiate with terrorist...... [/s] American firms can do so if necessary but govt DO NOT. take note.
Saddam, Ghadafi and that Iranian general all come to mind. Once them try reason you peacefully make u stop you no gree, sorry na ur name.

You need to stay informed and advertise your ignorance less to the world.

Bergdahl was captured after deserting his post on June 30, 2009. The circumstances under which Bergdahl went missing and how he was captured by the Taliban have since become subjects of intense media scrutiny. He was released on May 31, 2014, as part of a prisoner exchange for five high ranking Taliban members who were being held at the detention center at Guantanamo Bay .

What calibre of people do you think USA government hold in Guantanamo Bay? Your mumu never do.

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by maasoap(m): 11:20am On May 14, 2021
colorsofrainbow:

[s] Use that to justify bokoharam act..
Where your wisdom don Carry u reach?
Terrorist!
Educated almajiri cum afonja
[/s]

maasoap:

Dullard grade one. If their act is tagged cyber terrorism, what are they again? I don't blame you, you have conditioned yourself to automatically think about killing once you heard the word "terrorist". Educated illiterate.
On the other hand, the whole world watched as USA released 5 terrorists in exchange for an American soldier just few years ago! Asslicker

I thought you quoted this post of mine? Dishonest people everywhere! Why did you cut off the second paragraph? You thought it had nothing to do with the post I quoted?
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by SojiCash(m): 11:28am On May 14, 2021
inoki247:
ehn ehn our able America dey bow to online terrorist now...

If any hacker try hack NNPC for here na empty barrel e dey hack....

https://audiomack.com/felaman-origina
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Ouchbabe(f): 11:46am On May 14, 2021
zimmaking:
That one na Yahoo boy no be hacker.
Ok. I think say all of them na the same thing
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 14, 2021
orikoku:
Wonderful. I can't believe American government can pay such.
Read before commenting. It's a private company not the US government.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by chibu4u2(m): 12:22pm On May 14, 2021
maasoap:

You need to stay informed and advertise your ignorance less to the world.

What calibre of people do you think USA government hold in Guantanamo Bay? Your mumu never do.

Ur stupidity na follow come, how is this negotiating with terrorist?. Amerians concluded they were terrorist but there was no concrete evidence to that so they have to bow to media scrutiny.

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by zimmaking(m): 1:16pm On May 14, 2021
Ouchbabe:

Ok. I think say all of them na the same thing
No.Yahoo boy dey ask for money or begi begi white people and most of them are not so lucky to get paid.The ones getting paid should be around 30% and mostly from $100 to $50000.Hackers no dey beg,they either hijack phones or computer networks remotely using viruses or malware which I can categorize as Cyber weapons.They can make from $50000 to $1Billion dollars.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 14, 2021
Hndrrxxx:
What is the FBI and CIA doing??

There's also this hot guy intern guy from NASA

ALL OF EM ARE USELESS shocked shocked shocked
gaybriel cheesy
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by maasoap(m): 4:03pm On May 14, 2021
chibu4u2:

Ur stupidity na follow come, how is this negotiating with terrorist?. Amerians concluded they were terrorist but there was no concrete evidence to that so they have to bow to media scrutiny.

Receive sense. If their fellow terrorists didn't have that soldier in captivity, you think USA government would have released those "terrorists" because of the reason you put up there? Your mumu never do like said.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by Ouchbabe(f): 4:06am On May 15, 2021
zimmaking:
No.Yahoo boy dey ask for money or begi begi white people and most of them are not so lucky to get paid.The ones getting paid should be around 30% and mostly from $100 to $50000.Hackers no dey beg,they either hijack phones or computer networks remotely using viruses or malware which I can categorize as Cyber weapons.They can make from $50000 to $1Billion dollars.
Abeg do you know where I can get these viruses or malware?I want to check something in the World Bank after all our sister Ngozi is there grin grin grin
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by omojeesu(m): 8:19am On May 15, 2021
orikoku:
Wonderful. I can't believe American government can pay such.

Scam of politicians and business men.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by zimmaking(m): 8:26am On May 15, 2021
Ouchbabe:

Abeg do you know where I can get these viruses or malware?I want to check something in the World Bank after all our sister Ngozi is there grin grin grin
hmmmm,you like money ooo.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 1:08am On May 17, 2021
BigDawsNet:

My dear even a primary school students will understand what I meant be "their white house"... I'm not here to start naming each country official residence of the president..

It's a general slang word...

I never knew "The White House" was a general slang. I thought you guys in Nigeria say "Aso Rock". Anyway, like I said, the government can't speak for the company since it's a privately owned company. So it's not about White House secrets.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 1:09am On May 17, 2021
ntyce:

Who negotiated with the Taliban in Afghanistan?

I don't know. I only corrected those associating this ransom payment with the US government.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 1:13am On May 17, 2021
Cousin9999:

Government agencies (like the FBI) got involved because infrastructure is obviously serious. I don't doubt the government would also spend money given the impact this has on consumers, investors, trade, security, and other areas. Furthermore, the same people hacking this company are going after anyone and anything they can. No, they wouldn't go after military or other well-protected things (without backing from a nation), but they can target smaller agencies and private companies that deal with government and other sensitive information.

Of course the FBI and co got involved. But regardless of any security outfit that got involved, the decision to pay the ransom can only be taken by the shareholders of the organization (and in this case, they are from 5 different countries). The government wouldn't stand on thier way. They are the ones that made the payment not the American government. I get your logic but I'm only trying to set the record straight for those claiming the government paid the ransom.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 1:21am On May 17, 2021
gnykelly:

Oga a company have his own life distinct from the investors... The company is registered and operated in the USA thereby it drew life from USA business law. The company is a USA company.

When I said the company's isn't fully American, I meant it terms of ownership. The context is clear as we were discussing who might have taken the decision to pay the ransom. This decision can only be taken by the owners (who aren't fully Americans) and not the government of the nation in which the company is registered. Even if it fully owned by Americans, it is still a private organization and it's ridiculous for anyone to insinuate the American government paid the ransom just because an American organization did.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by BigDawsNet: 8:04am On May 17, 2021
WoundedLamb:

I never knew "The White House" was a general slang. I thought you guys in Nigeria say "Aso Rock". Anyway, like I said, the government can't speak for the company since it's a privately owned company. So it's not about White House secrets.

You guys in Nigeria?

Broda I don't based in Nigeria...

Like I said it's a general slang to catch up the gist instantly...

Well you right but even tho it's a private company... whenever stuffs that brings a national security issue private or not...the Homeland security will take care of it....

"Because it's now a mater of national security"
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by gnykelly(m): 11:00am On May 17, 2021
WoundedLamb:

When I said the company's isn't fully American, I meant it terms of ownership. The context is clear as we were discussing who might have taken the decision to pay the ransom. This decision can only be taken by the owners (who aren't fully Americans) and not the government of the nation in which the company is registered. Even if it fully owned by Americans, it is still a private organization and it's ridiculous for anyone to insinuate the American government paid the ransom just because an American organization did.

You are right about insinuation. But irrespective of the ownership structure. The company domicile under American business law is still regarded as an American company. Same as a ship registered in USA will gain protection from USA.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 2:07pm On May 17, 2021
gnykelly:

You are right about insinuation. But irrespective of the ownership structure. The company domicile under American business law is still regarded as an American company. Same as a ship registered in USA will gain protection from USA.
That's given and it's definitely not the bone of contention. My point is that the decision to pay the ransom could only have been taken by the proprietors (as against the idea that the American government negotiated with "terrorists" ).

1 Like

Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 2:17pm On May 17, 2021
BigDawsNet:

You guys in Nigeria?

Broda I don't based in Nigeria...

Like I said it's a general slang to catch up the gist instantly...

Well you right but even tho it's a private company... whenever stuffs that brings a national security issue private or not...the Homeland security will take care of it....

"Because it's now a mater of national security"

Regardless of the fact that the company serves a good deal of the country, the final decision to pay the ransom could only have been taken by the proprietors as the billions spent belong to them. Any other theory remains speculations until proven otherwise.

Regarding the White House, you are still the only one I know who generally refers to all presidential buildings as "The White House". But it's possible I've just not been paying attention; no big deal.

@bolded: Sorry, I meant "Nigerians" generally.
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by BigDawsNet: 3:48pm On May 17, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Regardless of the fact that the company serves a good deal of the country, the final decision to pay the ransom could only have been taken by the proprietors as the billions spent belong to them. Any other theory remains speculations until proven otherwise.

Regarding the White House, you are still the only one I know who generally refers to all presidential buildings as "The White House". But it's possible I've just not been paying attention; no big deal.

@bolded: Sorry, I meant "Nigerians" generally.

Really?

Can you name 50 Countries presidential residence without checking google?

Can you you? No lie oh wink
Re: U.S. Colonial Pipeline Pays N2.043b In Ransom To Hackers by WoundedLamb: 4:14pm On May 17, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Really?

Can you name 50 Countries presidential residence without checking google?

Can you you? No lie oh wink

Seriously, lie? I'd reserve my lies for something more serious. I don't need to know them all. I say "presidential residence" for anyone I don't know. I can't even imagine talking about Cameroon and then saying "the White House". That would be so so weird. I know about the American influence but I'd be shocked if it has gotten to the point of calling all presidential buildings "the White House". Like I said, if this is a Nigerian slang or some anglophone colloquialism, then it would make sense why I'm surprised at it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow / Photo Of Yahya Jammeh As A Young Soldier / Jon Ossoff Thanks Nigerians In Geogia For Their Role In His Election Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.