Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business (2623 Views)

The Golden Rule: How To Buy And Sell Gold For Maximum Profit / Biggest Amount Of Money You Have Ever Lost In Life And Lessons Learnt From It / 7 Things Entrepreneurs Can Do To Stay Motivated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 11:13pm On May 13, 2021
In 1955, Disneyland had just opened in Anaheim, California, when a ten-year-old boy walked in and asked for a job. Labor laws were loose back then and the boy managed to land a position selling guidebooks for $0.50 apiece.

Within a year, he had transitioned to Disney’s magic shop, where he learned tricks from the older employees. He experimented with jokes and tried out simple routines on visitors. Soon he discovered that what he loved was not performing magic but performing in general. He set his sights on becoming a comedian.

Beginning in his teenage years, he started performing in little clubs around Los Angeles. The crowds were small and his act was short. He was rarely on stage for more than five minutes. Most of the people in the crowd were too busy drinking or talking with friends to pay attention. One night, he literally delivered his stand-up routine to an empty club.

It wasn’t glamorous work, but there was no doubt he was getting better. His first routines would only last one or two minutes. By high school, his material had expanded to include a five-minute act and, a few years later, a ten-minute show. At nineteen, he was performing weekly for twenty minutes at a time. He had to read three poems during the show just to make the routine long enough, but his skills continued to progress.

He spent another decade experimenting, adjusting, and practicing. He took a job as a television writer and, gradually, he was able to land his own appearances on talk shows. By the mid-1970s, he had worked his way into being a regular guest on The Tonight Show and Saturday Night Live.

Finally, after nearly fifteen years of work, the young man rose to fame. He toured sixty cities in sixty-three days. Then seventy-two cities in eighty days. Then eighty-five cities in ninety days. He had 18,695 people attend one show in Ohio. Another 45,000 tickets were sold for his three-day show in New York. He catapulted to the top of his genre and became one of the most successful comedians of his time.

His name is Steve Martin.

How to Stay Motivated
I recently finished Steve Martin’s wonderful autobiography, Born Standing Up.

Martin’s story offers a fascinating perspective on what it takes to stick with habits for the long run. Comedy is not for the timid. It is hard to imagine a situation that would strike fear into the hearts of more people than performing alone on stage and failing to get a single laugh. And yet Steve Martin faced this fear every week for eighteen years. In his words, “10 years spent learning, 4 years spent refining, and 4 years as a wild success.”

Why is it that some people, like Martin, stick with their habits—whether practicing jokes or drawing cartoons or playing guitar—while most of us struggle to stay motivated? How do we design habits that pull us in rather than ones that fade away? Scientists have been studying this question for many years. While there is still much to learn, one of the most consistent findings is that the way to maintain motivation and achieve peak levels of desire is to work on tasks of “just manageable difficulty.”

The Goldilocks Rule
The human brain loves a challenge, but only if it is within an optimal zone of difficulty. If you love tennis and try to play a serious match against a four-year-old, you will quickly become bored. It’s too easy. You’ll win every point. In contrast, if you play a professional tennis player like Roger Federer or Serena Williams, you will quickly lose motivation because the match is too difficult.

Now consider playing tennis against someone who is your equal. As the game progresses, you win a few points and you lose a few. You have a good chance of winning, but only if you really try. Your focus narrows, distractions fade away, and you find yourself fully invested in the task at hand. This is a challenge of just manageable difficulty and it is a prime example of the Goldilocks Rule.

The Goldilocks Rule states that humans experience peak motivation when working on tasks that are right on the edge of their current abilities. Not too hard. Not too easy. Just right.

Martin’s comedy career is an excellent example of the Goldilocks Rule in practice. Each year, he expanded his comedy routine—but only by a minute or two. He was always adding new material, but he also kept a few jokes that were guaranteed to get laughs. There were just enough victories to keep him motivated and just enough mistakes to keep him working hard.

Measure Your Progress
If you want to learn how to stay motivated to reach your goals, then there is a second piece of the motivation puzzle that is crucial to understand. It has to do with achieving that perfect blend of hard work and happiness.

Working on challenges of an optimal level of difficulty has been found to not only be motivating, but also to be a major source of happiness. As psychologist Gilbert Brim put it, “One of the important sources of human happiness is working on tasks at a suitable level of difficulty, neither too hard nor too easy.”

This blend of happiness and peak performance is sometimes referred to as flow, which is what athletes and performers experience when they are “in the zone.” Flow is the mental state you experience when you are so focused on the task at hand that the rest of the world fades away.

In order to reach this state of peak performance, however, you not only need to work on challenges at the right degree of difficulty, but also measure your immediate progress. As psychologist Jonathan Haidt explains, one of the keys to reaching a flow state is that “you get immediate feedback about how you are doing at each step.”

Seeing yourself make progress in the moment is incredibly motivating. Steve Martin would tell a joke and immediately know if it worked based on the laughter of the crowd. Imagine how addicting it would be to create a roar of laughter. The rush of positive feedback Martin experienced from one great joke would probably be enough to overpower his fears and inspire him to work for weeks.

In other areas of life, measurement looks different but is just as critical for achieving a blend of motivation and happiness. In tennis, you get immediate feedback based on whether or not you win the point. Regardless of how it is measured, the human brain needs some way to visualize our progress if we are to maintain motivation. We need to be able to see our wins.

Two Steps to Motivation
If we want to break down the mystery of how to stay motivated for the long-term, we could simply say:

1.Stick to The Goldilocks Rule and work on tasks of just manageable difficulty.
2.Measure your progress and receive immediate feedback whenever possible.

Wanting to improve your life is easy. Sticking with it is a different story. If you want to stay motivated for good, then start with a challenge that is just manageable, measure your progress, and repeat the process.

written by James Clear

2 Likes

Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 11:04am On May 14, 2021
How to Focus and Increase Your Attention Span
Let’s talk about how to overcome our tendency to multitask and focus on one thing at a time. Of the many options in front of you, how do you know what to focus on? How do you know where to direct your energy and attention? How do you determine the one thing that you should commit to doing?

Warren Buffett’s “2 List” Strategy for Focused Attention
One of my favorite methods for focusing your attention on what matters and eliminating what doesn’t comes from the famous investor Warren Buffett.

Buffett uses a simple 3-step productivity strategy to help his employees determine their priorities and actions. You may find this method useful for making decisions and getting yourself to commit to doing one thing right away. Here’s how it works…

One day, Buffett asked his personal pilot to go through the 3-step exercise.

STEP 1: Buffett started by asking the pilot, named Mike Flint, to write down his top 25 career goals. So, Flint took some time and wrote them down. (Note: You could also complete this exercise with goals for a shorter timeline. For example, write down the top 25 things you want to accomplish this week.)

STEP 2: Then, Buffett asked Flint to review his list and circle his top 5 goals. Again, Flint took some time, made his way through the list, and eventually decided on his 5 most important goals.

STEP 3: At this point, Flint had two lists. The 5 items he had circled were List A, and the 20 items he had not circled were List B.

Flint confirmed that he would start working on his top 5 goals right away. And that’s when Buffett asked him about the second list, “And what about the ones you didn’t circle?”

Flint replied, “Well, the top 5 are my primary focus, but the other 20 come in a close second. They are still important so I’ll work on those intermittently as I see fit. They are not as urgent, but I still plan to give them a dedicated effort.”

To which Buffett replied, “No. You’ve got it wrong, Mike. Everything you didn’t circle just became your Avoid-At-All-Cost list. No matter what, these things get no attention from you until you’ve succeeded with your top 5.”

I love Buffett’s method because it forces you to make hard decisions and eliminate things that might be good uses of time, but aren’t great uses of time. So often the tasks that derail our focus are ones that we can easily rationalize spending time on.

One goal

This is just one way to narrow your focus and eliminate distractions. I’ve covered many other methods before like The Ivy Lee Method and The Eisenhower Box. That said, no matter what method you use and no matter how committed you are, at some point your concentration and focus begin to fade. How can you increase your attention span and remain focused?

There are two simple steps you can take.

1.Measure Your Results
The first thing you can do is to measure your progress.

Focus often fades because of lack of feedback. Your brain has a natural desire to know whether or not you are making progress toward your goals, and it is impossible to know that without getting feedback. From a practical standpoint, this means that we need to measure our results.

We all have areas of life that we say are important to us, but that we aren’t measuring. That’s a shame because measurement maintains focus and concentration. The things we measure are the things we improve. It is only through numbers and clear tracking that we have any idea if we are getting better or worse.

When I measured how many pushups I did, I got stronger.
When I tracked my reading habit of 20 pages per day, I read more books.
When I recorded my values, I began living with more integrity.
The tasks I measured were the ones I remained focused on.

Unfortunately, we often avoid measuring because we are fearful of what the numbers will tell us about ourselves. The trick is to realize that measuring is not a judgment about who you are, it’s just feedback on where you are.

Measure to discover, to find out, to understand. Measure to get to know yourself better. Measure to see if you’re actually spending time on the things that are important to you. Measure because it will help you focus on the things that matter and ignore the things that don’t.

2.Focus on the Process, Not the Event
The second thing you can do to maintain long-term focus is to concentrate on processes, not events. All too often, we see success as an event that can be achieved and completed.

Here are some common examples:

Many people see health as an event: “If I just lose 20 pounds, then I’ll be in shape.”
Many people see entrepreneurship as an event: “If we could get our business featured in the New York Times, then we’d be set.”
Many people see art as an event: “If I could just get my work featured in a bigger gallery, then I’d have the credibility I need.”
Those are just a few of the many ways that we categorize success as a single event. But if you look at the people who stay focused on their goals, you start to realize that it’s not the events or the results that make them different. It’s the commitment to the process. They fall in love with the daily practice, not the individual event.

What’s funny, of course, is that this focus on the process is what will allow you to enjoy the results anyway.

If you want to be a great writer, then having a best-selling book is wonderful. But the only way to reach that result is to fall in love with the process of writing.
If you want the world to know about your business, then it would be great to be featured in Forbes magazine. But the only way to reach that result is to fall in love with the process of marketing.
If you want to be in the best shape of your life, then losing 20 pounds might be necessary. But the only way to reach that result is to fall in love with the process of eating healthy and exercising consistently.
If you want to become significantly better at anything, you have to fall in love with the process of doing it. You have to fall in love with building the identity of someone who does the work, rather than merely dreaming about the results that you want.
Focusing on outcomes and goals is our natural tendency, but focusing on processes leads to more results over the long-run.

Concentration and Focus Mind-Hacks
Even after you’ve learned to love the process and know how to stay focused on your goals, the day-to-day implementation of those goals can still be messy. Let’s talk about some additional ways to improve concentration and make sure you’re giving each task your focused attention.

How to Improve Concentration
Here are few additional ways to improve your focus and get started on what matters.

Choose an anchor task. One of the major improvements I’ve made recently is to assign one (and only one) priority to each work day. Although I plan to complete other tasks during the day, my priority task is the one non-negotiable thing that must get done. I call this my “anchor task” because it is the mainstay that holds the rest of my day in place. The power of choosing one priority is that it naturally guides your behavior by forcing you to organize your life around that responsibility.

Manage your energy, not your time. If a task requires your full attention, then schedule it for a time of day when you have the energy needed to focus. For example, I have noticed that my creative energy is highest in the morning. That’s when I’m fresh. That’s when I do my best writing. That’s when I make the best strategic decisions about my business. So, what do I do? I schedule creative tasks for the morning. All other business tasks are taken care of in the afternoon. This includes doing interviews, responding to emails, phone calls and Skype chats, data analysis and number crunching. Nearly every productivity strategy obsesses over managing your time better, but time is useless if you don’t have the energy you need to complete the task you are working on.

Never check email before noon. Focus is about eliminating distractions. Email can be one of the biggest distractions of all. If I don’t check email at the beginning of the day, then I am able to spend the morning pursuing my own agenda rather than reacting to everybody else’s agenda. That’s a huge win because I’m not wasting mental energy thinking about all the messages in my inbox. I realize that waiting until the afternoon isn’t feasible for many people, but I’d like to offer a challenge. Can you wait until 10AM? What about 9AM? 8:30AM? The exact cutoff time doesn’t matter. The point is to carve out time during your morning when you can focus on what is most important to you without letting the rest of the world dictate your mental state.

Leave your phone in another room. I usually don’t see my phone for the first few hours of the day. It is much easier to do focused work when you don’t have any text messages, phone calls, or alerts interrupting your focus.

Work in full screen mode. Whenever I use an application on my computer, I use full screen mode. If I’m reading an article on the web, my browser takes up the whole screen. If I’m writing in Evernote, I’m working in full screen mode. If I’m editing a picture in Photoshop, it is the only thing I can see. I have set up my desktop so that the menu bar disappears automatically. When I am working, I can’t see the time, the icons of other applications, or any other distractions on the screen. It’s funny how big of a difference this makes for my focus and concentration. If you can see an icon on your screen, then you will be reminded to click on it occasionally. However, if you remove the visual cue, then the urge to be distracted subsides in a few minutes.

Remove all tasks that could distract from early morning focus. I love doing the most important thing first each day because the urgencies of the day have not crept in yet. I have gone a little far in this regard in that I have even pushed my first meal off until about noon each day. I have been intermittent fasting for three years now (here are some lessons learned), which means that I typically eat most of my meals between 12PM and 8PM. The result is that I get some additional time in the morning to do focused work rather than cook breakfast.

Regardless of what strategy you use, just remember that anytime you find the world distracting you, all you need to do is commit to one thing. In the beginning, you don’t even have to succeed. You just need to get started.
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 2:09am On May 16, 2021
“Landlords grow rich in their sleep without working, risking or economizing.” - John Stuart Mill, political economist
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 4:17am On May 18, 2021
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 11:19pm On May 21, 2021
3.LEARN FIRST AND THEN EARN
Education is very important….

In becoming a successful real estate investor, the importance of education cannot be over-emphasised. Nothing can take the place of right knowledge and information in the world of real estate. It is therefore important that you get yourself educated.

Before you think of investing in real estate, go for the right education and knowledge.

As important as education is in real estate industry, do not spend so much money on seminars, workshops and coaches. Do not be misled with the common notion that you should go for an expensive education.

Information is available, plentiful and inexpensive. So, why spend more than necessary on the right education? Find it online as it is readily available there or seek the expertise, knowledge and experience of someone who has been successful in real estate.

You need to understand that holding on to assets is a fundamental way of creating wealth for yourself in real estate, as the shelter is an underlying universal need.

By having a rental, you are in control of a business that will steadily bring income for you.

Many young individuals want apartments close to the cities….

It is therefore advisable that you buy houses in your cities. It is also good that you do not inflate your budget.

Majority of the projects you will embark on have surprises. See this as part of the real estate business. Expect the unexpected and lower your funds for increased returns and reduced risks.

As a beginner, it is wise you begin with one project at a time. Devise your model, modify it, and keep buying ass the opportunities avail themselves. Continue with this system until you build a portfolio for yourself.

The tip is making a success out of your real estate business is that you educate yourself… Get yourself actively involved in the industry;

Create values for clients and prospects….

Cultivate the habit of taking positive, determined actions on a daily basis towards the achievement of your set goals.

Go for meet-ups, seminars, network and learn from others. When you are ready, and it’s time to take decisive action on deals, act immediately.
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 5:37pm On May 31, 2021
“It is a comfortable feeling to know that you stand on your own ground. Land is about the only thing that can’t fly away.” - Anthony Trollope, novelist
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 5:57pm On Jun 10, 2021
I have always liked real estate; farm land, pasture land, timber land and city property. I have had experience with all of them. I guess I just naturally like ‘the good Earth,’ the foundation of all our wealth.”
-Jesse H. Jones,
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 4:25pm On Jun 14, 2021
“Buy on the fringe and wait. Buy land near a growing city! Buy real estate when other people want to sell. Hold what you buy!” - John Jacob Astor, real estate and business mogul
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 12:34am On Sep 09, 2021
smiley
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 7:04pm On Sep 27, 2021
“Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful.” - Hazrat Inayat Khan, spiritualist
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
“Now, one thing I tell everyone is learn about real estate. Repeat after me: real estate provides the highest returns, the greatest values and the least risk.” - Armstrong Williams, entrepreneur
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 3:05pm On Oct 27, 2021
“If you don’t own a home, buy one. If you own a home, buy another one. If you own two homes, buy a third. And, lend your relatives the money to buy a home.”
John Paulson, investor and multi-billionaire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2021
“Buy on the fringe and wait. Buy land near a growing city! Buy real estate when other people want to sell. Hold what you buy!” - John Jacob Astor, real estate and business mogul
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 6:24pm On Nov 13, 2021
“Ninety percent of all millionaires become so through owning real estate. More money has been made in real estate than in all industrial investments combined. The wise young man or wage earner of today invests his money in real estate.” - Andrew Carnegie, billionaire industrialist
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 7:41am On Nov 25, 2021
“Ninety percent of all millionaires become so through owning real estate. More money has been made in real estate than in all industrial investments combined. The wise young man or wage earner of today invests his money in real estate.” - Andrew Carnegie, billionaire industrialist.
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 3:21pm On Dec 07, 2021
Viktoreze:
I have always liked real estate; farm land, pasture land, timber land and city property. I have had experience with all of them. I guess I just naturally like ‘the good Earth,’ the foundation of all our wealth.”
-Jesse H. Jones,
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 6:09pm On Dec 15, 2021
Viktoreze:
“Now, one thing I tell everyone is learn about real estate. Repeat after me: real estate provides the highest returns, the greatest values and the least risk.” - Armstrong Williams, entrepreneur
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 6:56pm On Mar 01, 2022
Viktoreze:
“Landlords grow rich in their sleep without working, risking or economizing.” - John Stuart Mill, political economist

Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 2:26am On Mar 28, 2022
Viktoreze:
“Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful.” - Hazrat Inayat Khan, spiritualist
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 3:43am On May 07, 2022
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 1:10am On May 27, 2022
“When you invest, you are buying a day that you don’t have to work.” Aya Laraya
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by codeigniter(m): 8:16am On May 27, 2022
Ride on
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by codeigniter(m): 8:17am On May 27, 2022
Viktoreze:
“Ninety percent of all millionaires become so through owning real estate. More money has been made in real estate than in all industrial investments combined. The wise young man or wage earner of today invests his money in real estate.” - Andrew Carnegie, billionaire industrialist

This is old, tech happened
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 12:08pm On May 29, 2022
“It’s tangible, it’s solid, it’s beautiful. It’s artistic, from my standpoint, and I just love real estate.” ~Donald Trump
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 9:19pm On Jun 04, 2022
“The wise young man or wage earner of today invests his money in real estate.” Andrew Carnegie
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 7:52am On Jun 09, 2022
“Owning a home is a keystone of wealth… both financial affluence and emotional security”.
Suze Orman
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 8:32am On Jun 11, 2022
“Every person who invests in well-selected real estate in a growing section of a prosperous community adopts the surest and safest method of becoming independent, for real estate is the basis of wealth.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 8:04am On Jun 13, 2022
“You will come to know that what appears today to be a sacrifice will prove to be the greatest investment that you will ever make.” Gordon B. Hinkley
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 3:19am On Jun 14, 2022
“Every person who invests in well-selected real estate in a growing section of a prosperous community adopts the surest and safest method of becoming independent, for real estate is the basis of wealth.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 10:42am On Jun 18, 2022
“When you invest, you are buying a day that you don’t have to work.” Aya Laraya
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 8:10am On Jun 22, 2022
Everyone wants a piece of land. It’s the only sure investment, it can never depreciate like a car or a washing machine.” Russel Sage
Re: The Goldilocks Rule: How To Stay Motivated In Life And Business by Viktoreze(m): 4:49am On Jun 25, 2022
“90% of all millionaires become so through owning real estate.” Andrew Carnegie

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which ISP Is Best To Use In Ile-ife Osun State For Cafe Business / What Permits/licenses Are Needed To Run A Food Truck In Nigeria? / I Have 500k Cash. What Business Should I Invest In?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.