Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders (44586 Views)

Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police / Police Seize Magu's Bulletproof Vehicles, Seal Office / Ogun Government Set To Ban Okada Riders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by richmanrichard: 9:14pm On May 15, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
480 guns
......signing out
if Nigerian government says 480 guns; then multiply it by 10 because that's the actual number(4800 guns).
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by PHAYOL81: 10:08pm On May 15, 2021
uuzba:

Because it is!
400,000 okadas to be banned/crushed?
That is 400,000 guys will lose their job
You think say dem go gree?
Nonsense. What are they supposed to do now?
Sit at home and be pressing phone without credit?
They will surely come back and continue to come back again and forever untill Lagos provides jobs for them.

Lagos state ain't owing them nothing. Lagos can't shoulder the loads of all Nigerians because that's exactly what you're insinuating. Or how long would Lagos continue to provide jobs for an ever increasing population If they can't find something legit to do, they can return to wherever they come from. Lagos isn't for everyone. It's not by force to live in Lagos.
Last time I checked, there are 36 other options they can explore, so don't play that 'responsibility card'.
With the lowest unemployment rate in the country, the state is trying its best and we must understand that whosever is coming in is prepared to live by the rules and regulations of the land without reservation. If you engage in silly crime and get caught, you get to face the full wrath of law and the state owe you no apology for it.

EMMY76:
Making 400,000 people jobless just like that will definitely come with consequences lagos residents should be prepared for anarchy.

For how long would we continue to find excuses for irregularities and disorderliness Must they reside in Lagos What happens to them going back to where they came from if Lagos ain't working for them Or must Lagos shoulder the irresponsibility of other states to provide jobs for their indigenes
And to think many of you guys defending these unlawful riders are always the loudest voices when pointing out disorganization in the society; yet here's a chance for a start and vroom! you came up with excuses why it shouldn't happen.
Obi1kenobi:

Do you live and work in Lagos? I commute along the Mile 2-Badagry and Apapa axis everyday. I don't know one single person who lives or works anywhere around those routes who would want okada banned. None. Such is the menace of tankers and trailers along those axis, I don't bother driving to work most days and okada makes things far more convenient for me and so many people who ply those routes. When you have such a high level of dysfunction due to inadequate infrastructure, horrible urban planning, the adverse environmental impact of port operations, and an overpopulated country who breed like rats, what other alternative are you leaving people? Does this look like Zurich or Brussels? Please take a good look around you and come back to reality. There are many areas of Lagos that would be absolutely unlivable if you ban okada.
Still another excuse. You don't create a problem to solve another problem. It leads to chaos, which is what we're facing now with the many challenges the okada brought because we wanted to kill off stress of not walking to the bus stations. We thought we're smarter than the organized and advanced countries who don't allow them.
If trucks and container-trucks are causing gridlock, we have to shout the discomfort to the government until our voices are heard; not doing the wrong thing to beat the fault because eventually, you ended up creating loads of other issues. For every merit you can name to support the riders, I promise to give you at least two demerits why the menace must stop. Its time, Nigerians learnt to live the organized life we want by being ready to be only organized and right.
And lest I forget, I live and work in Lagos, and I know all the challenges. But if you've ever been abroad and see how many Nigerians comport/comply to/with regulations, you get amazed and wondered why we can't replicate same at home. Even without government intervention, there are things that if we start doing/correcting ourselves, the good changes would be enormous in our society.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:06pm On May 15, 2021
PHAYOL81:

Lagos state ain't owing them nothing. Lagos can't shoulder the loads of all Nigerians because that's exactly what you're insinuating. Or how long would Lagos continue to provide jobs for an ever increasing population If they can't find something legit to do, they can return to wherever they come from. Lagos isn't for everyone. It's not by force to live in Lagos.
Last time I checked, there are 36 other options they can explore, so don't play that 'responsibility card'.
With the lowest unemployment rate in the country, the state is trying its best and we must understand that whosever is coming in is prepared to live by the rules and regulations of the land without reservation. If you engage in silly crime and get caught, you get to face the full wrath of law and the state owe you no apology for it.

For how long would we continue to find excuses for irregularities and disorderliness Must they reside in Lagos What happens to them going back to where they came from if Lagos ain't working for them Or must Lagos shoulder the irresponsibility of other states to provide jobs for their indigenes
And to think many of you guys defending these unlawful riders are always the loudest voices when pointing out disorganization in the society; yet here's a chance for a start and vroom! you came up with excuses why it shouldn't happen.

Do you live and work in Lagos? I commute along the Mile 2-Badagry and Apapa axis everyday. I don't know one single person who lives or works anywhere around those routes who would want okada banned. None. Such is the menace of tankers and trailers along those axis, I don't bother driving to work most days and okada makes things far more convenient for me and so many people who ply those routes. When you have such a high level of dysfunction due to inadequate infrastructure, horrible urban planning, the adverse environmental impact of port operations, and an overpopulated country who breed like rats, what other alternative are you leaving people? Does this look like Zurich or Brussels? Please take a good look around you and come back to reality. There are many areas of Lagos that would be absolutely unlivable if you ban okada.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by moneyissweet(m): 12:51am On May 16, 2021
Yeah, it is no more possible because 70%
okada riders are from the north.

Had it been they are all igbos,the Lagos State Gunment would have given the police shoot at sight order.

azpekuliar:
How many times dem go ban am for Lagos? I’m beginning to think it is impossible to get these guys off the roads.
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by Deemayor: 2:15am On May 16, 2021
Is okada the problem of Nigeria? Does he even have an ideal how many people he is about to render Jobless? The rate of thief wey go dey Lagos like this enh.

If una know sanwo olu make una better warn am oo

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by 9jaRealist: 3:00am On May 16, 2021
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by 9jaRealist: 3:06am On May 16, 2021
Deemayor:
Is okada the problem of Nigeria? Does he even have an ideal how many people he is about to render Jobless? The rate of thief wey go dey Lagos like this enh.

If una know sanwo olu make una better warn am oo

First, Lagos is NOT the only place they can operate Okada...
Just like many of them came from elsewhere to Lagos, they can move on to somewhere else.

Furthermore, apart from the Okada men from Niger Rep, Chad, Mali, etc....
These unskilled dudes can find other work in a Nigeria that needs able-bodied people in agriculture.
>
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by hansomb: 3:10am On May 16, 2021
poshestmina:
The amounts of Hausa/Fulanis in the West and East are way too much disguising as Shoemakers and truck pushers.

The early the west and South-south prepares themselves,the better .
what about the amount of Igbos in the North. Some Igbo are born and breed in the North. Some speak Hausa more than some hausas. There are more southerners in the North than Northerners in the South. Most of those seeking division have never traveled out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by hansomb: 3:15am On May 16, 2021
immortal2:
Another good place where terrorists are known to hide their guns are Mosques.

LASG should search all the mosques in Lagos and rich Fulani living inside estates. They sometimes camp these terrorists in their large compounds. I must commend LASG for a similar operation somewhere in an Lagos in the dead of night. I am sure most of those Abokis are still in jail by now.

We must commend steps been taken by the Governor of Lagos state to deal with this threats.
you no get sense at all with that mosque statement. Put religion sentiment and it's death on arrival. Must you put religion in anything. I can go into any mosque n pray in but that cannot be said of any Christian praying in any Church. There's nothing to hide in a mosque. Stop being religious bigot.
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by emex4gman(m): 5:29am On May 16, 2021
480 guns, assuming they said 481 I would have believed.
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by Kuginzi: 7:35am On May 16, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:
Yet the mumu CP is saying that IPOB wanna destroy Lagos. Now he has seen the destroyers with AK-47 yet has gone deaf and dumb. All these zoo security eeh
If you Nigeria security Zoo, what will you call ESN?
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by Kuginzi: 7:35am On May 16, 2021
hansomb:
what about the amount of Igbos in the North. Some Igbo are born and breed in the North. Some speak Hausa more than some hausas. There are more southerners in the North than Northerners in the South. Most of those seeking division have never traveled out.
They are local champions

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:27am On May 16, 2021
Tonyblessed:
Lies. Is it not Yoruba them. Na everytime they dey ban Okada but these miscreant Okada riders double after every ban.

I doubt if the Lagos State government is serious with this new law. All mouth and no concrete action.
the only reason okada came back with full force was ENDSARS.

After the first ban, most of the yellow tricycles were replaced with white ones that cannot cut corners in traffic as much. At least tricycle riders obey the law.

After that, there was an increase in robberies and accidents involving okada.

After ENDSARS, there was no call i did that i didn't attend to one accident or robbery victim, eight out of ten of them include okada.

Let the okada go.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:27am On May 16, 2021
Kuginzi:

They are local champions
Fo they commit crime?
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by Revolva(m): 8:37am On May 16, 2021
Na today dem don de talk am
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by Nobody: 9:57am On May 16, 2021
Good move. Ban all bikes even the bastards inside the streets of Lagos. Ban them all!
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by odimbannamdi(m): 11:48am On May 16, 2021
Obi1kenobi:

PHAYOL81, we await your rejoinder to this post. We also advise that you actually take a trip from Mile 2 to just Iyana-Iba even today that is a Sunday and let us know when you get back home.

Instead of addressing the "disease" itself, our leaders are fond of trying to treat "symptoms", and we all keep moving round and round. Let us not forget that this same okada (and even keke) were banned from playing major roads in February 2020, and we never saw the alternative means of transports that the government promised. Even the people that will enforce the directives are Nigerians who still make use of the same Okada if they do not want to sleep on the road.

The government should begin by first addressing the root cause of traffic gridlocks on our major roads before proposing a ban on Okada. Nobody loves to blow bike, coz of the safety hazards, but when you are hard-pressed or you seat in traffic for 4 hours, you will appreciate their importance
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by immortal2: 3:48pm On May 16, 2021
hansomb:
you no get sense at all with that mosque statement. Put religion sentiment and it's death on arrival. Must you put religion in anything. I can go into any mosque n pray in but that cannot be said of any Christian praying in any Church. There's nothing to hide in a mosque. Stop being religious bigot.

I made a valid point on the mosque issue. Terrorists are known to hide weapons in mosque, especially the ones controlled by the North.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by PHAYOL81: 4:06pm On May 16, 2021
odimbannamdi:

PHAYOL81, we await your rejoinder to this post. We also advise that you actually take a trip from Mile 2 to just Iyana-Iba even today that is a Sunday and let us know when you get back home.

Instead of addressing the "disease" itself, our leaders are fond of trying to treat "symptoms", and we all keep moving round and round. Let us not forget that this same okada (and even keke) were banned from playing major roads in February 2020, and we never saw the alternative means of transports that the government promised. Even the people that will enforce the directives are Nigerians who still make use of the same Okada if they do not want to sleep on the road.

The government should begin by first addressing the root cause of traffic gridlocks on our major roads before proposing a ban on Okada. Nobody loves to blow bike, coz of the safety hazards, but when you are hard-pressed or you seat in traffic for 4 hours, you will appreciate their importance

The post has gotten its response. You don't create a problem to solve another problem lest you bring up more problems. You only have to solve the problem you have but if you try a work-around, you end up still having the problem you fail to solve with the demerits of the alternative(s). It's a simple rule.
New York has its fair share of traffic (although not as bad as we have here) . Ask a New York City resident, and you'll see he's got a story to tell about the "terrible " (as they say) traffic in the city but on no account was the state looking in the direction of allowing motorcycle as a means. Rather, the state just approved as much as a trillion dollars this year to improve facilities that would improve the situation in the state.
Look at Tokyo. You'll be amazed how people trooped out during rush hours like a swamp of bees, walking towards the train/bus stations in a bid to get transit to their destinations. They have capacities to manufacture motorbikes in large numbers for this purpose but knowing the consequences, they have to make do with the right system. If you can't walk to the train station, call a taxi. And remember that multi-layers bridges in Japan and the one in China, the bridges came about because of traffic situations they had. To burst your bubbles, even with those bridges, they still have traffic situations to deal with on them. Point is, commercial cities can't escape traffic. It's all over the world. London even have to create "traffic tickets " to discourage people going out with personal cars in order to reduce the impact.
Let's call for the eradication of the challenges we have on our roads but let's also accept that having bikes as a mode of transport should be an abolished practice in our midst. Simple.
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by MummyD2020(f): 4:32pm On May 16, 2021
I thought ipob are terrorists, chestbeaters, jobless, noise makers etc? It will keep on being clearer and clearer each day that passes.
Re: Lagos To Ban Okada Next Week, Police Seize 480 Guns From Okada Riders by antibullshit: 10:43am On May 22, 2022
Samyj247:
tell them o. When the fight will start, it will shock the west. Fulani terrorist have surrounded Lagos, they are just waiting for the whistle to be blown and the civil war killings will start. The west must as a matter of urgency, harm their young men, get good guns and be ready to protect their land. The easiest escape root is to support Yoruba nation secession. Imagine what 400 ak 47 can do to the dwellers in Lagos. They will finish everybody in less than 3 days...don't think that the police will come to save u...before it starts, de will move out all the police then send in Fulani terrorist recruited soldiers to the west....they are planning same thing in the east but the east is well prepared.
The situation is bad but cool down! Its not possible to finish everyone in lagos in a few days! 400 guns cannot wipe out millions of people so quickly . Its not that easy to kill people . Do they have a nuclear bomb ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tanko Muhammad Resigns As CJN, Olukayode Ariwoola To Be Sworn In / The Changing Changer: A PMB Supporter's Opinions On 2014 Nyanya Vs Today (pix) / Bamidele Akpan In The Midst Of PDP Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.