Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

4 Reasons Why You Should Rent Or Buy Your House During Rainy Season - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 4 Reasons Why You Should Rent Or Buy Your House During Rainy Season (189 Views)

Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos / 4 Reasons Why You Should Rent Or Buy A House During Rainy Season / Best Time To Start Fencing A House During Construction?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Reasons Why You Should Rent Or Buy Your House During Rainy Season by djtconcept: 8:54am On May 17, 2021
A proven time to get a fantastic accommodation in Lagos that has all flaws visible to you, is definitely during rainy season. I once rented a fantastic apartment in the month of February which was absolutely my taste in terms of what I was looking for, few months after I moved into the apartment and we went into rainy season, I noticed that even with my window closed, water would find its way into the apartment from the window and then wet everything in the room. I was unhappy with this situation but I could do very little about because I had already paid the rent for a whole year.

Most times, we see pictures of the house we want to rent or buy when the sun is shining, bringing out the full beauty of the house which makes us want to drop our hard earned money to buy or rent such apartment but doing a little bit of investigation especially during rainy season is one fantastic step in the right direction.

Here are 4 reasons why you should consider renting or buying an apartment during rainy season:

THE ROAD

Just imagine how fantastic the road in your environment looks like when there is no rain compared to the time it rains. If you are driving or taking a bike home there are literarily no challenges involved but when it rains the whole structure changes, you practically have to pray when you enter bike (okada) going home after a busy day at work, so you and the bike man would not land on the ground. What of when you go out with your car, it is also hitting all kinds of stones and entering into water and coming out of water, and the bumper of the car is pulling out and you are also fixing it back. Trust me these are some of the situations you have to go through if you don’t check out the road during rainy season to see if the condition suits you.

So go through the discomfort of looking for that apartment during heavy down pour because you will definitely see it all for yourself and not end up renting an apartment in an area that gets flooded easily.

THREE DIFFICULT CHALLENGES YOU WILL FACE IF THE ROAD TO THE HOUSE IS BAD:

INCREASE IN TRANSPORTATION PRICE: if there is need for you to take a bike or a bus through the rough road to get to your house then, when rain falls there will always be increase in price of the transportation.

YOUR CAR WILL NEED CONSTANT SERVICING AND REPAIR: You may not like this but you cannot avoid it because water will always find its way into the engine, the bumper will constantly be under pressure and a lot more.

NOT THE BEST FOR A BIG FAMILY OF 6 OR 7 PEOPLE: you would not want to be in a situation where your family of 6 or 7 is at the Bustop and waiting for bike or a bus to take them home and none is available because of the road.

THE HOUSE

Just as I gave my own personal experience above, there is a high probability that I would not have rented the apartment if I have gone during rainy season, because I would have seen water on the floor and it will definitely prompt me to ask certain questions which would eventually lead me to finding out that water gets into the room through my window anytime it rains.

So renting an apartment during rainy season exposes a lot of things but you must also be very sensitive when inspecting the apartment and look around for things like, leaking roof or a sign of water dropping from the roof, also check the walls for any sign of water because it shows the quality of material used in building the house.

DRAINAGE SYSTEM

Some places in dry season are in normal state, but during wet season, they are filled with all kinds of creepy insects that will produce an unhealthy environment for you and your family.

So the question is, how functional is the gutter of the house and where does the water in the gutter lead to?, this is vital so dirt’s don’t start piling up in the gutter which produces unpleasant odors that can lead to all kind of sickness and diseases. You should also pay close attention to the level of flood after it rains and the reach of the flood surrounding the house by checking the foot of the wall.

LIGHT OUT

Some part of Lagos always face this problem, whenever it rains heavily there would not be light for a couple of weeks. It is actually very funny how this plays out but this occurs in many places in Lagos and Nigeria as a whole. So your job is to find out that, the house or apartment you want to rent or buy is not in such area, so you don’t end up spending unnecessary amount of money constantly buying fuel in order to have light.

Are you living or have lived in a house that you now wish you inspected it during rainy season before you paid?

Feel free to share your experience with us in the comment section, we would love to hear from you.

For more information to rent and buy properties visit https://integrityhomes.online/
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Rent Or Buy Your House During Rainy Season by Draslo(m): 10:47am On May 17, 2021
OP, you are so correct and cannot stress this more.

In January 2018, I was approached by a fellow church member to buy his piee of land somewhere around Owode Onirin, Ketu-Mile 12 area. I was in no need of it but he claimed to be in serious debt and had financial constraints on his neck so much that e choke. I told him I would check it out. So, instead of sending my lawyer in charge of family property to go with his team to check it out, I said we should go check it out since it's Sunday and there'd be less traffic. Long story short, after appealing and much convincing, I decided to buy it on the condition that I would pay in three installments since the just concluded festive season chop my money no be small. I made the first transfer to him on the following Monday. Paperwork was in order. (This is when I my lawyer got involved). He began to tell me that the place gets terrible during the rainy season as there are floodgates that are opened when a certain river overflows it's banks. I shook it off and instructed that a fence be constructed asap. The construction was more expensive than your regular fence cause we had to fill it cause the surveyor tell us say na swampy land. By July, I had paid half of the last installment remaining 480k. My lawyer who had been advising me for weeks to go and see what the area looks like after the rains had started finally won and we decided to visit. My brother, we were two streets away and the boys there told us we couldn't go any further unless we we're ready to write off the car. They explained that the mud is so thick that even canoes can get grounded at some point. Infact the whole area na error. LASG has been promising to fix it. Till today, I haven't balanced up the 480k and the guy sef no ask me. Baba sef no dey come church again

Modified
Please I need a shop in Mushin big enough to sell tyres. Mention me please.
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Rent Or Buy Your House During Rainy Season by DICKstractor: 12:18pm On May 17, 2021
undecided

No truer words

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2002 / Property: Two Bedroom Terraces + BQ, / Queen's Garden Estate, Isheri North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.