Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,228 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos (18007 Views)

Dangers Of Living In A Shared Flat / Cost Of Buying A Land Around Ibadan And Oyo / Cost Of Buying A Duplex In Lagos| Brook Assets And Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by lawyer(m): 4:05pm On Mar 19
Imagine your dream home - a beautiful house in Lekki or Ajah. You've saved for years, finally affording this symbol of success. But then, your worst nightmare unfolds. Bulldozers arrive, reducing your most expensive purchase to rubble in minutes.

Why? Because you had no valid claim to the land the house was built on. This horrifying reality is facing many Lagosians due to faulty property documents. This isn't a rare occurrence. Lagos is riddled with property fraud and illegal construction. These seemingly beautiful homes could be built on disputed land, have hidden mortgages, or lack government approval.

Why is this happening? Many houses lack proper titles like a Certificate of Occupancy, Governor's Consent or Building Approvals. Developers and Dubious House Sellers may prioritize flashy Exteriors to lure you in with stunning interiors, but the foundation crumbles under legal scrutiny.

Here's why buying a house in Lagos can turn into a horror story:

1. Emotional Hook: Gorgeous online listings blind you to crucial details.

2. Missing Paperwork: The developer hides the lack of a Certificate of Occupancy or Governor's Consent or Building Approvals

3. Empty Promises: Partial payments to the government are used to create a false sense of security.

4. Demolition Day: Your dream crumbles as bulldozers arrive.

5. Financial Ruin: Losing your home is devastating. Reimbursement? Forget it. The developer likely has no money, and lawsuits are expensive and time-consuming.

6. Emotional Trauma: Witnessing your investment destroyed is a soul-crushing experience. The fear of losing everything you've built hangs over you.

7. Public Humiliation: Becoming a victim of property fraud exposes you to ridicule and financial ruin.

8. Millions Vanish in Minutes: You spend a fortune, only to lose it all when the house is demolished.

9. Living in Fear: The constant threat of demolition hangs over your head, destroying any sense of security.

10. No Compensation: Even if the house is demolished, you have no legal right to compensation from a fraudulent developer.

Why risk millions? Don't be a statistic! Before investing your life savings, protect yourself with thorough due diligence.

Don't be Blinded by Beauty: A gorgeous interior is meaningless if the land is mired in legal disputes or government problems.

Ditch Instagram Dreams: Don't fall for emotional marketing tactics. Focus on legalities, not aesthetics.

Remember: A little patience and professional help can save you from a financial nightmare. Don't let your dream home turn into a pile of rubble.

Don't be the next victim of property fraud. Protect yourself from heart-wrenching tales of loss and devastation. Your hard-earned money deserves better. Don't gamble away your future foolishly to impress the wrong people.

28 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by victorDanladi: 5:08pm On Mar 19
The real lagos developers are still coming to wail,pour out their bitterness ,express their frustrations and play victims as usual!

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Elzazzi: 5:09pm On Mar 19
shocked
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by 190: 5:09pm On Mar 19
Do people still want to live in lagos??

Why not move to lapland finland like me angry

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by TechCapon(m): 5:09pm On Mar 19
u made some valid points but you didn't give any real solution. I was speaking to a real estate developer in a bank the other day and he lamented how the process of getting governor's consent or C of O is so frustrating and can take years with so many corrupt officials in alausa who will collect money from clients and syphon it. Nigeria is a messed up place especially lagos angry
Nothing justifies these demolitions except the wicked heart of a black man. Most of these lands were acquired when those places are swampy and forests and these people developed it into estates only to come many years later and bring it down.
why not tell them to pay fines and make the whole process smooth and transparent before commencing demolition. Another thing also is that Lagos state govt is full of land grabbers, they move around choice estates and demolish houses only to allocated those same lands to themselves. Whether u have documents or not it doesn't matter. They'll still win you in court.

82 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Citadel234: 5:09pm On Mar 19
Same as in Abuja
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by INTEGRITYA1(m): 5:09pm On Mar 19
Okay
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Dejarae(f): 5:09pm On Mar 19
Still doesn’t justify the act of wickedness. I’m not even sure it’s the houses of yorubas they’re bulldozing

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by UHLmoving: 5:09pm On Mar 19
If you an igbo, when you get a land in Lagos, try not to spend too much in developing it. Take that money to Onitsha, Aba, Enugu to build your taste.

Turu ugo lota

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by PointZerom: 5:10pm On Mar 19
grin

I have sold almost all my landed properties in Lagos. I hv one now in Bucknor marked to be taken by the Lagos State government.

22 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Chicagograduate(m): 5:10pm On Mar 19
Why is the government more powerful and outlaw than the people they are serving?This is insane.

12 Likes

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Angelfrost(m): 5:10pm On Mar 19
Sigh... See the beautiful and breathtaking building that was reduced to dust and stones...!

Damn!!!

...And the shocking and pathetic thing is that a lot of owners of such buildings don't have such properties in their states of origin, same way many of them have never thought of establishing businesses in their states of origin.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by meum: 5:10pm On Mar 19
Buying a house in Lagos is too risky.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Segun91: 5:11pm On Mar 19
This only happen when you cut corners .... If you have all the necessary paperwork no government can pull your house down ....

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by tunwumi: 5:11pm On Mar 19
Lol
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Nahunger(m): 5:11pm On Mar 19
angry

Nigeria
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Antoeni(m): 5:11pm On Mar 19
Non Yoruba Be Careful, Especially Igbo,

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by CelestineNelson: 5:11pm On Mar 19
...May we not put our trust in the hands of hungry people oo

1 Like

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by PointZerom: 5:12pm On Mar 19
Segun91:
This only happen when you cut corners .... If you have all the necessary paperwork no government can pull your house down ....

This is pure lies. The government will always have her way.

30 Likes

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by TriCee: 5:12pm On Mar 19
It's really important to ask serious questions before buying property anywhere, not just Lagos.

Go to government office straight for necessary approvals, don't use 3rd parties for shortcuts.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by DystopianMuse(f): 5:13pm On Mar 19
No matter how you people tries to demarket Lagos. It will fail before it starts. Do the right things and stop blaming the government.
Lagos is far ahead and no stopping.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by frankblinkz(m): 5:14pm On Mar 19
What if I tell you there's vast land in the east to develop.

What if I tell you to bring down businesses here, swears you will still make it.

What if I tell you, that it's wise to buy a good plot of land in the east at 10M than buying a plot of swamp for 50M upwards.

10 Likes

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Chicagograduate(m): 5:15pm On Mar 19
Segun91:
The contractor cannot build a house without relevant documents.The building planners will halt further construction.

19 Likes

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by PointZerom: 5:17pm On Mar 19
Angelfrost:
Sigh... See the beautiful and breathtaking building that was reduced to dust and stones...!

Damn!!!

...And the shocking and pathetic thing is that a lot of owners of such buildings don't have such properties in their states of origin, same way many of them have never thought of establishing businesses in their states of origin.

This house is pako to my friend's house demolished in Ajao estate. Even the operator initially refused to demolish it.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by Chicagograduate(m): 5:17pm On Mar 19
PointZerom:
grin

I have sold almost all my landed properties in Lagos. I hv one now in Bucknor marked to be taken by the Lagos State government.

Why does sanwolu want to grab your house?
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by PointZerom: 5:19pm On Mar 19
DystopianMuse:
No matter how you people tries to demarket Lagos. It will fail before it starts. Do the right things and stop blaming the government.
Lagos is far ahead and no stopping.

What you don't know is beyond you.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by blacknp(m): 5:20pm On Mar 19
190:

And do what there? Not even Helsinki Where Nnamdi Kanu’s lieutenant dey reside, but Lapland? na only oyibo & cold go full that kind place, thank you, but not for me brother man.

1 Like

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by slex(m): 5:20pm On Mar 19
190:

Benz 190 is that you ?
Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by PointZerom: 5:22pm On Mar 19
Chicagograduate:
Why does sanwolu want to grab your house?

I have all the genuine documents but they came up that I didn't buy it from the rightful owners. That the land belongs to Alausa IKJ.

Not only me, more than 200 people are affected.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos by 190: 5:22pm On Mar 19
slex:

Benz 190 is that you ?

Who you be? angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Building Collapses In Owerri; 5 People, Corp Member Feared Trapped (photos) / Setting Up A Real Estate Agent Outfit - What Are The Requirements Please. / The New Phase Of Hillcrest Estate Sabon Lugbe, Abuja. Be A Landlord Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.