Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win (14067 Views)

Pictures Of Asisat Oshoala With The Antetokoumpo Brothers / Cristiano Ronaldo And Teammates Celebrate Nations League Win With Fans(Photos) / Chelsea Star Eden Hazard Twerks In Wild Europa League Win Celebrations (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by robosky02(m): 9:04am On May 18, 2021
Asisat Oshoala: African history maker thrilled by Champions League win

Asisat Oshoala celebrates Barcelona winning the European Women's Champions League

Nigeria and Barcelona's Asisat Oshoala has been left lost for words after becoming the first African winner of the European Women's Champions League.

The Four-time African Women's Footballer of the Year starred as a second-half substitute as Barcelona Femenino blew Chelsea away 4-0 to win their first Women's Champions League title in the Swedish city of Gothenburg.

The Nigerian captain, 26, had a last-gasp goal ruled out for offside as the Spanish side's triumph brought an end to Lyon's run of five Champions League titles in a row.

"It was very important not to make the mistakes of the past [4-1 loss to Lyon] but to learn from it," Oshoala, who has now won back-to-back Spanish League titles with Barcelona, told BBC Sport Africa.

"I can only thank God who has made everything possible through sheer hard work, by playing alongside this incredibly talented group that creates a lovely family atmosphere.

"It's is a great feeling and I can't really put my emotions into words because it has been a tough journey to get here.

"I hope this will continue to inspire other young girls in Africa and motivate everyone around the world that you can achieve whatever you put your mind to and work hard for it."

Two years ago Oshoala claimed another notable first as she became the first African to play and score in the Women's Champions League final as they lost 4-1 to Lyon.

Breaking through glass ceiling
Nigeria's Asisat Oshoala (centre) celebrates scoring a goal in the European Women's Champions League for Barcelona which was later disallowed
Nigeria's Asisat Oshoala (centre) celebrates scoring a goal in the European Women's Champions League for Barcelona which was later disallowed
Being a professional women's footballer was unheard of to her family, almost frowned upon, but Oshoala defied the odds and her parents to achieve her dreams.

After having to play football on the streets in secret, it was not until she got the golden boot in the 2014 Under-20 World Cup that her parents finally accepted her career as a footballer.

"As a woman I guess they weren't sure it was the right move, but I had decided it was my path and they gave their blessing," she told BBC Sport in 2016.

"I know it has to work out for me and could help other young girls to break through the glass ceiling in women's football."

She has since opened her own football foundation in Lagos, Nigeria, available only to girls, allowing them to dream of playing professionally and providing them with a path to do so.

The Champions League title is just the latest honour she has won in her career, already this season her 15 goals have helped Barcelona retain the Primera División crown, to add to the Spanish Cup and Super Cup.

Oshoala won the Confederation of African Football's (Caf) Women's Player of the Year award in early 2020 - for a fourth time equalling the record of fellow Nigerian Perpetua Nkwocha.

The maiden BBC Women's Footballer of the Year winner scored at the 2019 Women's World Cup to help Nigeria reach the last 16 in France.

She joined the Spanish outfit initially on loan from Chinese champions Dalian Quanjian in January 2019 before signing a permanent deal five months later.

The former FC Robo and Rivers Angels star moved to Quanjian in the Far East in February 2017 from English side Arsenal Ladies with whom she won the Women's FA Cup at Wembley in May 2016 .

She finished as the Chinese Women's Super League top scorer in 2017 with 12 goals to help her club to the title same year.

Oshoala, who began her European career at Liverpool Ladies, won her third Women's Africa Cup of Nations with the Super Falcons in Ghana in 2018, scoring three goals as Nigeria lifted the title for a ninth time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/57142487

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by robosky02(m): 9:10am On May 18, 2021
The greatest female footballer from Africa

Some want to argue....

But facts don't lie

Individual Awards

Aiteo CAF Best Player Award 2017(Female Category)
BBC Women's Footballer of the Year: 2015[53]
Queen of The Pitch Award: 2014[54]
African Women's Footballer of the Year: 2014,[55] 2016,[56] 2017,[57] 2019
African Women's Youth Player of the Year: 2014,
African Women's Championship Golden Ball: 2014
African Women's Championship Golden Boot: 2016
FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Golden Boot: 2014]
FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Golden Ball: 2014
Chinese Women's Super League Top scorer: 2017
IFFHS CAF Best Woman Player of the Decade 2011–2020
IFFHS CAF Woman Team of the Decade 2011–2020

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by lindareep: 9:14am On May 18, 2021
Nice one! kiss

3 Likes

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by paulolee(m): 9:29am On May 18, 2021
congrats babes...mk I block her on tweeter n ask her to do giveaway...
make boys buys booze n smokes to celebrate her wins
seriously the bea is so good dt assuming girls are allowed to.play with guys, she would easily get a shirt in barca squad bcoz she is better than griezman, braithwait n dembele combined....coming from a barca fan

7 Likes

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by PlayMaker14: 9:48am On May 18, 2021
She's the Female version of Samuel Eto'o...

I hope the Randy coach we have now can utilize the trio of Francisca Ordega, Ajibade and Oshoala to achieving a remarkable feat at the world stage.

I remember when we had the likes of Mercy Akide, Stella Mbachu, Perpetual Nwokocha, Maureen Madu, Ann Chiejine, Kikelomo Ajayi, Precious Dede tearing other Africa nations apart but failing at the world stage.

20 Likes

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Nobody: 10:23am On May 18, 2021
congrats girl
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by BruncleZuma: 10:23am On May 18, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by remi4ever(m): 10:23am On May 18, 2021
grin Nigeria to the world!

Software and App development is my hustle.

Check link on my signature, let's discuss business.

2 Likes

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by GeneralPula: 10:23am On May 18, 2021
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Sikitirole3422: 10:26am On May 18, 2021
Nigeria to the world

1 Like

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Kingluqman(m): 10:26am On May 18, 2021
Gbayii!!! grin
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by HajiMT: 10:27am On May 18, 2021
An Achiever!
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by emerged01(m): 10:27am On May 18, 2021
This girl don win many cups o.
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Teaser4(m): 10:28am On May 18, 2021
Queen

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Plus123: 10:28am On May 18, 2021
I dey front page?
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by DropsMic(m): 10:29am On May 18, 2021
My girl
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by ominilongest(m): 10:32am On May 18, 2021
That Barcelona team coach resemble pep small grin

I dey pity Chelsea grin

1 Like

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 10:32am On May 18, 2021
Congratulations
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by BetExpert: 10:32am On May 18, 2021
If this geh na oyinbo geh, dem for don give am female world best Balon Dor tey tey. Asisat na greatest black footballer in world history. Yoruba and Igbos too get talent abeg, dem take glory swear for our papa. But if na Fulani women now, na suicide bomber, bandits, killer herdsmen wives and to dey steal Niger Delta oil money for Abuja dem sabi. Bloody cows!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Justice505: 10:33am On May 18, 2021
The first female GOAT from Africa.
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Ade4dayo70(m): 10:33am On May 18, 2021
Original Black Heritage!

Original Omoluabi.

Congratulations Asisat Oshoala.

I am proudly Nigerian, African.

The glory shall return to Africa soon.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Benki003(m): 10:35am On May 18, 2021
That year when me and am been de date embarassed embarassed

This life is somehow �
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Nobody: 10:35am On May 18, 2021
Good to Note.
Please if anyone can help me with a loan of 60k, i shall be glad.
I will pay back at the end of 6 month, and i will use my laptop as collateral.
My location is oyo
Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by ArewaNightmare: 10:36am On May 18, 2021
cheesy I must bleep this my favourite player, at least it'll be a ➕ plus in my Entire bleeping career ,bcuz i love'em black hot hot

Congrats Love #GOAT

2 Likes

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by WarmShisha: 10:37am On May 18, 2021
cool

The Future is truly VMail

Asisat they tap ball walai... She doesn't fit in the female league, she should compete with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi

Am sure she grew up playing street football with men on the street of Lagos

Re: African History Maker, Asisat Oshoala Thrilled By Champions League Win by Phillipwale: 10:39am On May 18, 2021
Nice one babe. Making history is ur thing. #barca4life.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mikel: I’m Ready To Help Retired Players / Buhari Approves Funds For Super Falcons After Protest Over Unpaid Bonus. / Norwegian Outfit Avaldsnes Sign Rasheedat Ajibade From FC Robo Queens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.