Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business (23625 Views)

Experience Working For A One Man Business / My Experience Working For A One Man Business / 3 Life Lessons I Learned From A Shoe Cobbler - Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Ihatethemods2: 6:53pm On May 18, 2021
Noted!

Meanwhile, Watch the best of the ShediBalaBala Dance Challenge Compilation here. This video would make your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pb-JgCpHVk
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by rottable(m): 6:54pm On May 18, 2021
soundOsonic:
You forgot this important part
you will do job beyond the job description
In one man business, just be praying so they won't sack one person.
If one person gets sack, others will have to do the work of the sacked individual. He might not be replaced, increasing the workload of other innocent folks.
you might be promoted but you are less likely to get a raise
This one everybody salary is stagnant, and yes your supervisor salary might be slightly higher than yours.
you will be threatened everyday with getting sacked
Like the OP said, the emotional abuse will be too much, and the pent up negative frustration needs to be released somewhere, it is more Likely that individual brings the negative emotions to his/her home. OP no one I repeat no one can withstand emotional abuse, it needs to be channeled out.
working harder than the rest won't grant you favor
Never give 100% of your energy working one man business, people will get used to your performance, the day you will slack will be the day they will complain about you, while the other lazy staff won't get any complain because they are used to their working lifestyle.

You are very correct boss..... You third point is what I am facing where I work, I pray I find something better as quick as possible. Psychologically I am down
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by adaperry25: 6:55pm On May 18, 2021
I love my former boss..He traveled for a burial and was absent for a few weeks. Unknown to us..he kept a spy to watch over everyone and activities going on.
When he came back, he said he knew everything that went on and I was very diligent in my duties. He gave me a stipend as motivation and everyone was bitter including my direct superior.
Presently, my former boss have left and my direct superior replaced him. It has been from one victimisation to another. In fact, last month, I was suspended for a false allegations levelled against me and came back with a warning letter that the next sanctions would be sack. all because I'm too real and speak the truth always.
God dey
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Asour: 7:19pm On May 18, 2021
binarymachine:

source:
https://flipmemes.com/2021/05/18/5-things-i-have-learned-from-working-in-a-one-man-business/

Looks like what you're referring to is in fact an UNSTRUCTURED business and not necessarily a one-man firm.

A One-man firm isn't always a bad and negative thing.
In fact, some of the worlds' most innovative firms are one-man firms — but with structure. I am talking of places you/me would like to work till retirement.

A one-man firm can also be a Multinational company.

E.g.

Dyson (UK) - James Dyson.
JCB (UK) - Anthony Bamford.
Liebherr (Germany) - Hans Liebherr(+), Isolde Liebherr.
Bose - Amar Bose (+).
Mars - Forrest Mars Jnr(+).
Clifbar - Gary Erikson.

These are firms owned virtually 100% by single individuals (and their families) — but with structure.

The problem is/has always been the lack of structure in these Nigerian firms NOT the ownership. Family owned companies can be the most beautiful institutions with proper structure.

God help us.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by piagetskinner(m): 7:26pm On May 18, 2021
This is extremely true man.. I’m dealing with all of the above
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Sheuns(m): 7:29pm On May 18, 2021
Not all though.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by InvertedHammer: 7:35pm On May 18, 2021
airforce1pikin:
grin eye service is very important
/
SMH

grin grin grin
/
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by ziondaughter247: 7:50pm On May 18, 2021
This is so apt! You couldn't have said it better. I have seen and experienced my fair share of working for one man business and I will NEVER advise my worst enemy to take up such a job! you will always walk on egg shells, infact one place i worked like that I was even buying food for the so-called manager! Chai, those days! Thank you Abba Father that those days are long gone.
It will drain you emotionally because most times, they will demean you by sending you on useless errands, they will never pay you well and they will cut your salary at any flimsy excuse, they will threaten you with sack and they sack anyhow. The day oga's wife denies him sex, he can sack everyone. It's not worth it. I know Nigeria is stressful, but If you want to go far in life, NEVER commit to such jobs and don't get comfortable there. I wonder when I see people who work in such places for 10-20 years. 'Oga's' child that was in primary school when you joined will graduate from university in 20 years time and will be placed higher than you. You will be calling him oga. One man business is a transition place for any serious minded individual, not a destination.

If you must take up such jobs, start planning your exit immediately. Use it as a transition place to build experience and keep body and soul together. Nigeria does not have the laws to protect employees, that's why one man businesses behave anyhow.

I know one 'mumu' madam that was forming loyalty to oga, when someone oga perceived to be better than her came along, if you see the way they discarded this madam eeh.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by JoshTee(m): 8:17pm On May 18, 2021
This is one of my best thread on nl...so on point with realities of one-man-business in Nigeria. One must take the bull by the horn and resign, especially when one knows that one is being verbally, psychologically and emotionally abused. You might wait endlessly for another job if that's what you're targeting before leaving.
Forget what people will say and move on!
I've actually experienced this!

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by shegun4sur: 8:20pm On May 18, 2021
Only the number two point is valid. Stop misleading people.
A boss is interested in who will further his empire not who will lick his ass. Do what you can to improve the company without all the rubbish listed and you will be a high flier.
It's not like in public service where you need eye service to get promoted.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by kokoboy4life(m): 8:29pm On May 18, 2021
bdchange:

Very difficult to be precise. They will tell you, I dont like eye service but in truth they actually enjoy it. Another very important key point he mentioned is to know when to leave. I learnt this late but never again. This days if I dont see growth within 6 months to 1 year...Guy I go pick race..I don japa

You will Japa Even when there’s no option
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by truvine(m): 8:53pm On May 18, 2021
binarymachine:

source:
https://flipmemes.com/2021/05/18/5-things-i-have-learned-from-working-in-a-one-man-business/

That No. 5 is the real deal. Its so on point because either you do eye service or not, you go still go.

Have once been in the situation before and I didn't know about this "eye service" thing, I just give report as they are. There is this other lady that will exagerate the whole situation and director will just be nodding and I will be like , what's all this nonsense self ...lol

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by ibawon(m): 9:00pm On May 18, 2021
Bro you're absolutely right
1000%
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by EjaikreTheViper(f): 9:04pm On May 18, 2021
post=101821669:
Good thread, let us add more for the benefits of sane members here...

Advantages Of One-Man Business

The following are the advantages of the one-man business.

Personal interest of the owner enhances efficiency.
Decision taking is quick since the owner does not need to consult anybody.

He enjoys profits from the business alone.

The owner enjoys independence since he is his own boss.

There is personal contact with his employees, so employee's motivation is thus enhanced.

The sole proprietor can have more than one occupation.

Disadvantages of One-Man Business

There is limited capital for expansion purposes.

This is partly due to the inability of the owner to borrow money from banks.

The sole proprietor has unlimited liability as his personal assets can be sold in case of business failure.

The business is not a separate legal entity, therefore, it cannot sue or be sued.

Sole proprietor business lacks the certainty of continuity because the death of the owner or poor management can result in the death of the business.

The owner of a sole proprietorship has the disadvantages in the area of specialization because he is involved in too many activities.

His decision, in most cases, may not be effective because two good heads are better than one

KEEP SHUT!

NA RUBBISH YOU DEY TALK

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Richthekid: 9:35pm On May 18, 2021
Ok
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by metrosexual: 6:36am On May 19, 2021
binarymachine:

source:

Your points are valid but I don't think the part of the bank job you had is true, the salary, benefits, and exposure gotten from working in a bank is one of the highest of all jobs in Nigeria.

Always differentiate it from a teller (contract staff) whose job is just posting monies in and out of accounts to a real banker, a permanent staff of the bank, Nigerians call everyone working in the bank a banker and hence the misconception that a bank job is scam.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by venkateshcs: 6:38am On May 19, 2021
one man business -it has its own advantages and disadvantages.the person is responsible for everything and bear everythin<a href=https://www.credosystemz.com/training-in-chennai/best-angularjs-training-in-chennai//">g</a>
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by metrosexual: 6:56am On May 19, 2021
oliverano:
The biggest scam is bank job...Sai

You tie rope for neck from Monday to Thursday then on Friday you comot rope keep find small native or normal clothe wear go work.

You go fresh coz AC dey hammer you daily till weekend but at the end of the day after paying rent and transportation you're left with nothing.

unless you're a top guy or a bank manager, it's difficult to build a house with that salary. but thank God sha.

Meanwhile LMAO

I learn how to lick ass the hard way. to succeed ,especially working for an old boss, if you no lick ass, no show.

You have to learn how to please the boss(at all cost). The OP is on point here!!!

Thank God those days are gone!!!

Stop saying trash about working in a bank because of lies you have been told!

If you are a contract staff in the bank, know that you are not a bank staff as you are only an outsourced staff from another organisation. You can't use these set of people to classify the word "bankers" for all staff of people working in the bank.

Now let's come to the real bankers, the management staff or permanent staff, the least salary for them after NYSC and joining the bank as a fresher without experience is around 200k. How many companies in Nigeria pay more than that for a entry level position?

At entry level, a real banker gets about 1 million naira for his leave allowance and other upfront payments like housing and accommodation, this is different pay from his/her salary. Compare this with other jobs and tell me how bank work is scam.

A core staff is entitled to 13 month pay, impressive health care which caters for the staff and their family, good pay in pension returns, and profit sharing yearly were some get as much as 1M or more as extra pay for work for the financial year.

At younger banker with less than 3 years on the job and with a salary of around 300k a month can be given a loan of around 4M to get a car by his bank, a monthly deduction of around 70k from his salary would be deducted monthly for this loan, how many other jobs can give you such perks?

As a real bank staff, you can get a personal loan anytime of at least 1M to handle emergencies if they come up. How many other jobs give you this type of benefit?

The thing is that contract staff in the bank lie about their financial status and try to go above their means to compare to the permanent staff, how would you compete with someone earning more than 4 times your pay and other benefits? Tomorrow now you see a contract staff who has mismanaged his financies trying to be called a "banker" and then you quod classify everyone working in the bank as broke people and call bank job a scam?

About job security, the staff who gets sacked most times are the contract staff who are originally not employed by the bank, and they signed their contract stating its only for a period. For the permanent staff, if a staff is not involved in fraud, do you know how much the bank would pay off such a core staff if they are to be sacked? The money would be huge, and hence why the job security for permanent staff of the banks is good.

So now tell me from all these benefits of a real banker how then is a bank job scam? If you still say its scam then 99% of all jobs out there is scam and 99% of those doing personal businesses is scam as well!

Go looking for other top jobs and see the weight of respect attached to a banking job experience on your CV.

Please be guided!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Virginkpekus(f): 7:27am On May 19, 2021
metrosexual:

Stop saying trash about working in a bank because of lies you have been told!

If you are a contract staff in the bank, know that you are not a bank staff as you are only an outsourced staff from another organisation. You can't use these set of people to classify the word "bankers" for all staff of people working in the bank.

Now let's come to the real bankers, the management staff or permanent staff, the least salary for them after NYSC and joining the bank as a fresher without experience is around 200k. How many companies in Nigeria pay more than that for a entry level position?

At entry level, a real banker gets about 1 million naira for his leave allowance and other upfront payments like housing and accommodation, this is different pay from his/her salary. Compare this with other jobs and tell me how bank work is scam.

A core staff is entitled to 13 month pay, impressive health care which caters for the staff and their family, good pay in pension returns, and profit sharing yearly were some get as much as 1M or more as extra pay for work for the financial year.

At younger banker with less than 3 years on the job and with a salary of around 300k a month can be given a loan of around 4M to get a car by his bank, a monthly deduction of around 70k from his salary would be deducted monthly for this loan, how many other jobs can give you such perks?

As a real bank staff, you can get a personal anytime of at least 1M to handle emergencies if they come up.

The thing is that contract staff in the bank lie about their financial status and try to go above their means to compare to the permanent staff, how would you compete with someone earning more than 4 times your pay and other benefits? Tomorrow now you see a contract staff who has mismanaged his financies trying to be called a "banker" and then you quod classify everyone working in the bank as broke people and call bank job a scam?

About job security, the staff who gets sacked most times are the contract staff who are originally not employed by the bank, and they signed their contract stating its only for a period. For the permanent staff, if a staff is not involved in fraud, do you know how much the bank would pay off such a core staff if they are to be sacked? The money would be huge, and hence why the job security for permanent staff of the banks is good.

So now tell me from all these benefits of a real banker how then is a bank job scam? If you still say its scam then 99% of all jobs out there is scam and 99% of those doing personal businesses is scam as well!
Lies! How many banks pay their entry level staff up to 200K? I was an executive trainee in zenith bank and I never earned even close to that before leaving the bank.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by metrosexual: 7:31am On May 19, 2021
Virginkpekus:

Lies! How many banks pay their entry level staff up to 200K? I was an executive training in zenith bank and I never earned even close to that before leaving the bank.

Which year was that?
And please, I'm referring to permanent staff and not contract staff, I know Zenith bank employs first entry staff under People sourcing and they are all contract staff.

The least pay for entry level for at least 90% of banks in Nigeria is 200k, and many of such banks pay above that.

Don't go by what people tell you to lie, get into the system and see for yourself and get real proof.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by bammo: 7:44am On May 19, 2021
FalseProphet1:
Op didn't stress very well on the eye service, in a one man business, it's very important to paint yourself like an angel of light before your boss, be at his office before he even calls you and ask him if there are any errands he will like you to run, build a very close relationship with him and you'll get promotions and salary raise you don't merit.

One man business is like a church setting, where you have the senior pastor and other junior pastors assisting him, most times, when it's time for promotion the senior pastor promotes the most loyal junior pastor and not the most qualified. This is how it is in one man business. This I have seen.
Good morning dude!
why must you use your church to describe this
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Virginkpekus(f): 7:50am On May 19, 2021
metrosexual:

Which year was that?
And please, I'm referring to permanent staff and not contract staff, I know Zenith bank employs first entry staff under People sourcing and they are all contract staff.

The least pay for entry level for at least 90% of banks in Nigeria is 200k, and many of such banks pay above that.

Don't go by what people tell you to lie, get into the system and see for yourself and get real proof.
Keep quiet this was less than 2 years ago, the entry level for permanent staff is executive trainee in zenith bank, stop arguing what you don't know.
The banks who pay entry level staff up to 200k are NOT up to 90%.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by MyDiary(m): 10:18pm On May 19, 2021
Virginkpekus:

Keep quiet this was less than 2 years ago, the entry level for permanent staff is executive trainee in zenith bank, stop arguing what you don't know.

This is not true please
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by metrosexual: 10:23pm On May 19, 2021
Virginkpekus:

Shut up that smelling kpekus of yours before you tell me to keep quiet.

No wonder you failed in your banking career, with your attitude of being insultive in a basic convo where you werent insulted first shows you could never have been fit of a professional to remain a banker, no surprise you failed as a banker, if that's even not a lie from you. From your profile pic you look hungry like cleaners in the bank. A former banker as claimed by you and you have this type of username? Lol.

Go and update yourself and see how real bankers are earning big time and stop spreading lies to discourage the upcoming little ones because you failed in becoming a banker.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Virginkpekus(f): 1:31am On May 20, 2021
MyDiary:

This is not true please
Oga zenith bank pay their executive trainees (entry level permanent staff)114k a month, I was there before I left. Talking from experience here.
You can ask anybody presently working in the bank
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Virginkpekus(f): 1:33am On May 20, 2021
metrosexual:

Shut up that smelling kpekus of yours before you tell me to keep quiet.

No wonder you failed in your banking career, with your attitude of being insultive in a basic convo where you werent insulted first shows you could never have been fit of a professional to remain a banker, no surprise you failed as a banker, if that's even not a lie from you. From your profile pic you look hungry like cleaners in the bank. A former banker as claimed by you and you have this type of username? Lol.

Go and update yourself and see how real bankers are earning big time and stop spreading lies to discourage the upcoming little ones because you failed in becoming a banker.
You are the one arguing what you don't know, this is a faceless forum. How are you sure I am the person in the picture you are seeing or if I am a woman? I earned 114k a month as an ET in zenith bank before leaving.
You are first taken as a contact start called graduate assistant (GA) via the people sourcing you mentioned earlier on. You earn 100k per month at this stage.
After about 3 years you are then converted to an Executive trainee (permanent staff) and ur salary increases by 14k, plus a crappy HMO plan.
Don't be deceived by those shiny suits oga, nothing really dey Pocket.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by venkateshcs: 6:02am On May 21, 2021
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by edosignature(m): 3:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
Highly informative & educative.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Want To Be Successful Financially, Avoid These Things / Nigerian Doctor Returns N2.1m Mistakenly Paid Into Her Account (Photos) / Pilot Janet Bunor Steps Out In Thigh-Revealing Outfit In New Stunning Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.