Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,178 members, 7,829,222 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? (4802 Views)

Stop Killing, Embrace Dialogue. Jim Iyke Pleads with South East East youths / PDP Zones National Chair’s Slot To South-West, North Gets Secretary / Military Bombard Bandits In North-West, North-Central Forests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 4:55pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
Ambrose Alli of the old Bendel State

But you said i should dust my book

Which group I mention before?

Old Bendel no be old eastern region
Midwest ... rule and control by awo as premier.. micheal okparA led the creation of Midwest..
In retaliation of awo among the leaders that carved out Cameroon from our political geography..

Ziks infrastratural strides can still be seen...over there .. zik/ balewa admistration did much for NCNC
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by WoundedLamb: 4:59pm On May 19, 2021
omonnakoda:

FIRST MAJOR DIVISIONS

When by whom?

There is no factuality or logic to this claim

Was this something that was written on the Tablets of stone that Moses Brought down from Mount Sinai

Some people drive on the R and others on the L

It is just CONVENTION nothing more.

There is no law that says a clock cannot move from R to L

We write from L to R some do the opposite

By whom? Seriously, are you guys new to cardinal directions? Why do you say South East and not East South for the center of South and East? Dude, I did not create the cardinal directions. I just shared the standard convention with you. The keyword is convention. If it's not okey with you, you can decide to start saying East South and West South instead of South East and South West as well. I'm done, I don't know what else to say.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 5:20pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
Ambrose Alli of the old Bendel State. Besides, South South was never a old Eastern region. They were separated from the West and formed Mid-west. This move was Political to cut awolowo Political influence. Dust your history book.

Infact, he had a Governor in kaduna state who was impeached by NPN dominated house of assembly. The first impeachment of such in Nigeria Political history.

Updated Asgard73

Which region is south south please..
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 5:22pm On May 19, 2021
WoundedLamb:

By whom? Seriously, are you guys new to cardinal directions? Why do you say South East and not East South for the center of South and East? Dude, I did not create the cardinal directions. I just shared the standard convention with you. The keyword is convention. If it's not okey with you, you can decide to start saying East South and West South instead of South East and South West as well. I'm done, I don't know what else to say.
You are still operating with an undergraduate mindset.
What we are trying to do here is THINK which is not a friend of convention

Thinking implies interrogating convention which is what I believe this thread is about.

You just don't get it

Taribo West is called West because it is his name. Nothing to do with Cardinal points

The terms SS SE etc are a political classification. little to do with Cardinal points

Therefore Cardinal points play no role in their validity as a political description

1 Like

Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by ThatFairGuy: 5:24pm On May 19, 2021
"West" before procreation of mid-western
Asgard73:

Which region is south south please..
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Guynexttdoor: 5:27pm On May 19, 2021
kmcutez:

South south east and South south west are subgroups under south south.
Bro the re sub group under south west or south east not south south.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 5:32pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
"West" before procreation of mid-western

States in south south.. former old eastern ...
Calabar
Rivers
Uyo
Bayelsa
Delta.. delta north.
This is south south all in old eastern state .. and were on Biafra side of the war.. till traitors came

Midwest ... iteskiri urhobo sapele Bini.. Warri ....old bendel
Created out of old western Nigeria

South south is not in west ..

Have to pay me for this lectures.. I do normally ignore.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 19, 2021
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by meccuno: 5:42pm On May 19, 2021
ThatIgedeBoy:

why do you Easterners always feel anything done by any government is against you?
You feel every other region hate you Easterners, don't you think its time to start thinking there is something wrong with you people?

Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by WoundedLamb: 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
omonnakoda:
You are still operating with an undergraduate mindset.
What we are trying to do here is THINK which is not a friend of convention

Thinking implies interrogating convention which is what I believe this thread is about.

You just don't get it

Taribo West is called West because it is his name. Nothing to do with Cardinal points

The terms SS SE etc are a political classification. little to do with Cardinal points

Therefore Cardinal points play no role in their validity as a political description

Sorry, graduate. Even political classifications follow basic conventions. What is political is the cardinal directions the country decides to adopt out of the available conventional ones. Like I said in my post, you can ask why there is no North North and that would be a valid question cause North North is a valid cardinal direction. Asking why there is no East East/West West is just ridiculous because there's no such cardinal direction. No place on any map can go by that name.

In other words, you can argue that there are political motives regarding the adopted classification but East East and West West are out of the question cause they just have no meaning, and you don't throw away basic knowledge just to support a political standpoint. This is from the post you quoted:

The question is not why is there no East East/West West (that would be ridiculous). The question is, why did Nigeria adopt South South but no North North (or some other feasible cardinal directions). While I can't pretend to know the answer, I believe which of these points adopted by any map depends on the shape of the map and the socio-cultural need for such division. This might explain why Nigeria would have the South South region without points like North North.

If you still don't get it, I don't know what else to say.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by blasterman(m): 5:59pm On May 19, 2021
Justcash:
Why did Nigeria create and emphasise on the existence of a SOUTH SOUTH region without WEST WEST, NORTH NORTH and EAST EAST regions?

South South is a nigerian engrish

American call it South Central

British call is South
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 6:07pm On May 19, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Sorry, graduate. Even political classifications follow basic conventions. What is political is the cardinal directions the country decides to adopt out of the available conventional ones. Like I said in my post, you can ask why there is no North North and that would be a valid question cause North North is a valid cardinal direction. Asking why there is no East East/West West is just ridiculous because there's no such cardinal direction. No place on any map can go by that name.

In other words, you can argue that there are political motives regarding the adopted classification but East East and West West are out of the question cause they just have no meaning, and you don't throw away basic knowledge just to support a political standpoint. This is from the post you quoted:

If you still don't get it, I don't know what else to say.

That is the limit of your cognitive imagination

There is nothing ridiculous about asking questions
We have airplanes because someone asked why not
Not because "conventions" were accepted.

Can you give me one example to back up your claim that political classification follows basic convention

That the term has no meaning is a ridiculous thing to say. Meanings change or emerge out of nowhere. If people decide so
Kindly tell us what South-South means?

The word " gay" used to mean happy. Today it means something else
Words serve man and not the other way round.

That is what I mean by undergraduate mindset. You have not fully developed the capacity to think beyond "convention"

The point is those terms HAVE NOTHING to do with cardinal points.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by ThatFairGuy: 6:08pm On May 19, 2021
And how many were they on Biafra side? Rivers and Cross-river.(the argument that they were not on Biafra side but FORCED will be another day) You've forgotten nothing was Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom States then. It's just like me listing Edo and Delta as the States Among the western States then
Asgard73:

States in south south.. former old eastern ...
Calabar
Rivers
Uyo
Bayelsa
Delta.. delta north.
This is south south all in old eastern state .. and were on Biafra side of the war.. till traitors came

Midwest ... iteskiri urhobo sapele Bini.. Warri ....old bendel
Created out of old western Nigeria

South south is not in west ..

Have to pay me for this lectures.. I do normally ignore.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 6:16pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
And how many were they on Biafra side? Rivers and Cross-river.(the argument that they were not on Biafra side but FORCED will be another day) You've forgotten nothing was Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom States then. It's just like me listing Edo and Delta as the States Among the western States then

Haba! As I simplify am you still no get..

Biafra region has 11 province.. all from old eastern region of Nigeria

None was coerced..
Calabar and Akwa Ibom Na on state
Rivers bayelsa Na one
All Na Biafra territory..

What’s your point... that the were west abi .. I no get?

Had it been for saboteurs and traitors .. the ship would be sailing now.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by ThatFairGuy: 6:21pm On May 19, 2021
Province created by indigenous people or forced on them by Ojukwu angry

Asgard73:

Haba! As I simplify am you still no get..

Biafra region has 11 province.. all from old eastern region of Nigeria

None was coerced..
Calabar and Akwa Ibom Na on state
Rivers bayelsa Na one
All Na Biafra territory..

What’s your point... that the were west abi .. I no get?

Had it been for saboteurs and traitors .. the ship would be sailing now.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 6:26pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
Province created by indigenous people or forced on them by Ojukwu angry

Anyone told you or Yoruba people that they forced them

I don like nonsense.. i don’t do propaganda.. no carry Yoruba pattern relate with me..
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by ThatFairGuy: 6:29pm On May 19, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Mention those forefront army among Biafra army from Rivers State. It is in history that Adaka boro First agitated for Niger Delta republic which was rejected and vilified by Ojukwu.

Even David Ejoo was coerced.

It's COMMONSENSICAL! Why did Biafra army attacks and rape women of those indigenous in South South once they reject their forceful Biafra during civil war
Asgard73:

Anyone told you or Yoruba people that they forced them

I don like nonsense.. i don’t do propaganda.. no carry Yoruba pattern relate with me..

Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 6:31pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Mention those forefront army among Biafra army from Rivers State. It is in history that Adaka boro First agitated for Niger Delta republic which was rejected and vilified by Ojukwu.

Even David who was coerced.

Why did Biafra army attacks and rape women of those indigenous in South South once they reject their forceful Biafra during civil war

Next!
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by ThatFairGuy: 6:32pm On May 19, 2021
Mention them first undecided
Asgard73:

Next!
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Asgard73: 6:33pm On May 19, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
Mention them first undecided

Next!
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by WoundedLamb: 7:11pm On May 19, 2021
omonnakoda:

That is the limit of your cognitive imagination

There is nothing ridiculous about asking questions
We have airplanes because someone asked why not
Not because "conventions" were accepted.

Can you give me one example to back up your claim that political classification follows basic convention

That the term has no meaning is a ridiculous thing to say. Meanings change or emerge out of nowhere. If people decide so
Kindly tell us what South-South means?

The word " gay" used to mean happy. Today it means something else
Words serve man and not the other way round.

That is what I mean by undergraduate mindset. You have not fully developed the capacity to think beyond "convention"

The point is those terms HAVE NOTHING to do with cardinal points.
Ok, sorry.

Let's hope they create West West.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 7:31am On May 20, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Ok, sorry.

That would be your hope not mine
Did anybody create South South? Is it written in the constitution or any law?

South South is a term in the lexicon of politicians just like the term restructuring , open Grazing, zoning etc

It has no legal force anywhere
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by germaphobe(m): 8:09am On May 20, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Ok, sorry.

. I don't know why i find it funny that you didn't counter this with your own points.
Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by WoundedLamb: 3:18pm On May 20, 2021
germaphobe:
. I don't know why i find it funny that you didn't counter this with your own points.

Well, everything in Nigeria is "A vs B", and I figured out that discussing basic cardinal directions and the roles they play in political geography with someone who is more inclined to discuss tribal dichotomy is like discussing computer programming with some hoodlum down the street (just an analogy, no offense intended). I'm only on this thread cause I didn't know it was all about tribal politics. It's like a religion to Nigerians and once a conversation gets to that, they get overly emotional/sentimental and they'd willingly throw away all thier education for it.

That aside, I saw my neighbour's cat near my strawberry planter so I had to quickly disengage the guy to save my seedlings.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There South South Without West West, North North Or East East in Nigeria? by Sufferingboy(f): 4:58pm On May 20, 2021
Igbos again?

Well we are silently watching all their step.I nor go talk much today,because I nor fit follow those Ipob boys argue.

Kanu dragging people who are not interested into his map without consultation is the beginning of his downfall.

The difference between Igbos and fulani, is that Igbos are not in power now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Insecurity: Over 300,000 Children Killed In Northeast – UNICEF / When Obasanjo Was Dealing With Atiku, It Is Me Atiku Ran To And I Accepted Him / Esn/unknown Gunmen Clash With Nigerian Soldiers Blood Everywhere PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.