Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule (73408 Views)

Google Play Store Compromised By ‘hiddenads’ Malware, NCC Warns Nigerians / Joseph Dogo Warns Nigerians On Phone Apps That Secretly Record Calls / Whatsapp New Feature To Allow You Demote Group Admins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by ijustdey: 8:24am On May 19, 2021
From Adanna Nnamani, Abuja

The Federal Government has warned Nigerians to be wary of the new WhatsApp messenger privacy policy to avoid unpalatable consequences.

WhatsApp shared a reviewed privacy policy on January 4, informing users outside the European Union that it would now share their information with Facebook and its sister companies following the acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook in 2014.

Head, Corporate Affairs and External Relation, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Hadiza Umar, in a statement, yesterday, said in a bid to understand the issues and address the growing concerns of Nigerians, NITDA in collaboration with African Network of Data Protection Authorities, confronted global policy officials of Facebook Incorporated, owners of WhatsApp platform, about the new privacy policy.

“The Facebook team confirmed that private messages shared on WhatsApp consumer version are encrypted and not seen by the company. But the metadata (data about the usage of the service) which is also personal information is shared with other members of the Facebook Group.”

She said as a result, Nigerians are advised to explore other available platforms with similar functionalities, but tighter privacy policies and security.

“They should limit the sharing of sensitive personal information on private messaging and social media platforms as the initial promise of privacy and security is now being overridden on the bases of business exigency. To improve compliance with the NDPR, we have also raised concerns as to the marked difference between the privacy standard applicable in Europe, under the GDPR and the rest of the world.”
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/fg-warns-nigerians-on-whatsapp-new-rule/

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by helinues: 8:26am On May 19, 2021
Facebook with their yeye policy update...Another cambridge analytical loading

One can't even make a post since morning

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by OmegaDesign: 8:27am On May 19, 2021
It will not work

Abeg Get responsive website + Domain Registration + SEO for 20k. Check my signature for contact details
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Shellsploit: 8:29am On May 19, 2021
grin
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by ogmask: 8:36am On May 19, 2021
If they couldnt implement the policy in the EU why bring it to Africa. The time has come for Africans to start looking at ways of using alternative platforms and possibly encourage our tech guys to come up with unique models that can compete globally.

371 Likes 22 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:37am On May 19, 2021
Four months after, incompetent government in all ramifications cool

160 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Nobody: 8:39am On May 19, 2021
I kuku no get privacy before. I discuss confidential information on Gmail alone and you need two to three steps verifications before you can access my mails.

82 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Joel3(m): 8:43am On May 19, 2021
What stop Nigerians from Developing there own whatsapp that can go globally.

Facebook is looking for what to generate revenue from whatsapp. Since the bought WhatsApp they have been looking possible ways to make money from it's. But I think the step they are taking is the wrong time.

Instead of free whatsapp they should collect money from subscription. Sharing data with facebook is a no go area as it doesn't make any sense. I have read the policy several times and it doesn't make any sense.

Whatsapp is going to lose many subscribers for this move.

77 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Nbote(m): 9:05am On May 19, 2021
yomicbobo:
Something they couldn't try in the EU they brought it here and all our government is saying is we should look for alternatives

So U think the WhatsApp U use here is different from the one elsewhere? Like U somehow believe whatsapp created different apps for different regions angry
Seriously the level of ignorance in dis country is baffling

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Nbote(m): 9:09am On May 19, 2021
ogmask:
If they couldnt implement the policy in the EU why bring it to Africa. The time has come for Africans to start looking at ways of using alternative platforms and possibly encourage our tech guys to come up with unique models that can compete globally.

Joel3:
What stop Nigerians from Developing there own whatsapp that can go globally.

Facebook is looking for what to generate revenue from whatsapp. Since the bought WhatsApp they have been looking possible ways to make money from it's. But I think the step they are taking is the wrong time.

Instead of free whatsapp they should collect money from subscription. Sharing data with facebook is a no go area as it doesn't make any sense. I have read the policy several times and it doesn't make any sense.

Whatsapp is going to lose many subscribers for this move.

The truth is some of us jus want to react. There aren't different whatsapp for different regions it is the same one and only app with the same terms and conditions and the same privacy settings. Sometimes we jus want to react in dis part jus for reacting sake. Majority of us have all our private information displayed of Facebook and still worry about information sharing with Facebook. We are reacting over the wrong privacy concerns

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Biglittlelois(f): 9:21am On May 19, 2021
I don't know what's wrong with Zack rddhddggsz or whatever he is, must you be the number 1 richest in the world? Your position never do you? Billionaires creating unnecessary problems for themselves, I've not opened Facebook in 2 years, why the hell must he link the two? Guy man has noticed people don dey boycott Facebook en mass, yeye man.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by revived: 9:35am On May 19, 2021
E go ney
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by DoctorDree(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2021
K
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by EyezofGod120: 9:35am On May 19, 2021
grin
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by inoki247: 9:35am On May 19, 2021
lol this one wey FG talk e b lik say dem share money give dem...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Ernerstdavid55(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2021
Lol
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by LoudLord(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2021
Fools
Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by LordGuru1: 9:35am On May 19, 2021
TechWows:
Have you taken Covid Vaccine? Get a small magnet and put it on the spot, it sticks to the spot. Such Humans to be controlled by demonic machines. Like if you have seen the Video evidences or if you have tried a tiny magnet on yours too. cry
I still wonder how same Tech World-enlsavers that sold Gadgets software, produced Gadgets' Virus and later sold us AntiVirus. Now transform to produce human Virus, and now forcing humans to take what they term "Vaccines". Only real dimwits believes they love them enough to... They were tired of owning materials, they wanted to own human beings. Now, the fear of Death by many has turned them to mere controllable Objects owned by Satan and his human agents. Don't let your selfish unfulfilled dreams and visions gets your eternal Soul to cling undetachably to this decaying increasing deceitful evil World. Don't be left behind by the so imminent Rapture of we that refused to Bow to the Image of the Beast at this End Time, make Peace with your CREATOR by Accepting JESUS His Son (and HIS Way of Holy Lifestyle) as your LORD and Saviour Today, Tomorrow may be too late!

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by ChiefSosa(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2021
FG can suck my blockus

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by DestroyEvil: 9:36am On May 19, 2021
They are directly and indirectly informing BokoHaram, Bandits and Herdsmen to switch and cover their tracks better. If you know, you know.

8 Likes

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by Nuelito: 9:36am On May 19, 2021
Zuckerberg and co. Just dey intrude into people's privacy

Meanwhile,if you need Natural Raw Honey... Kindly contact me on O81 O1 66 67 71 let's talk about it now....It's pure and Unadulterated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by 96ACE: 9:36am On May 19, 2021
Why can't we have our own indigenous platform to save us this stress?
Nairaland started shortly after Facebook and other social media platforms started and till today we're still booking space for comments. Why can't we support our indigenous tech to compete with this guys? Abi are they getting kickbacks from these oyibo people to keep us backward?

2 Likes

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:37am On May 19, 2021
Sane Nigerians should limit the sharing of sensitive personal information on private messaging and social media platforms as the initial promise of privacy and security is now being overridden on the bases of business exigency.

He who has ears..........

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by addexx: 9:37am On May 19, 2021
grin Truth is 95% of Nigerians using Whatsapp don't understand the implications of this. So they could care less. Well my Whatsapp account is still on ghost mode.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Warns Nigerians On Whatsapp New Rule by pickatyouu: 9:37am On May 19, 2021
Na to port go signal or telegram be that .

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Complete Guide On How To Fix Slow Charging On All Infinix Smartphones / (download) Fifa 2019 Iso For Ppsspp – Psp Games For Andriod Phones. / HOT! New Method To Get Unlimited Calls On Mtn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.