Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,525 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee (28082 Views)

Stampede Erupts At Ramadan Charity Distribution In Sanaa: 85 Killed, 322 Injured / Tonga Hit By Tsunami After Underwater Volcano Erupts (Photos, Video) / Volcano ERUPTS On Spanish Island La Palma(Pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Gramps: 9:49am On May 23, 2021
Thousands of people have fled their homes in the Democratic Republic of Congo after a large volcano erupted.

Fountains of high lava burst from Mount Nyiragongo into the night sky forming a thick red cloud over the town of Goma, which has a population of two million.

The lava flow reached the city's airport but has reportedly now stopped.

The volcano, located 10km (six miles) from Goma, last erupted in 2002 killing 250 people and making 120,000 homeless.

During the early hours of Sunday, many residents headed across the nearby Rwandan border, while others went to higher grounds to the west of the city.

Crowds were seen with mattresses and other belongings, fleeing even before the government's announcement, which came several hours after the eruption started.

Rwandan authorities said about 3,000 people had officially crossed from Goma. The country's state media said they would be accommodated in schools and places of worship.

One Goma resident, Richard Bahati, said he was in his house when he heard screaming. "I got out and saw the sky was red. I am so worried, so worried. I lived through the problem with this volcano in 2002. The volcano devastated all our homes and possessions. That's why I'm scared again this time."

"Everyone is afraid, people are running away. We really don't know what to do," local man Zacharie Paluku told the Associated Press news agency.

Electricity was out across large areas, and one highway that connects Goma with the city of Beni was engulfed by the lava. There were also reports of earthquakes.

"There is a smell of sulphur. In the distance you can see giant flames coming out of the mountain," resident Carine Mbala told AFP news agency.

An official from Virunga National Park, where the volcano is located, said in a note to staff that the eruption was similar to the one in 2002 and that everyone near the airport should "evacuate without delay".

People have been advised to stay calm, but some complained about the lack of information from the authorities amid conflicting accounts circulating on social media.

Communications Minister Patrick Muyay said on Twitter that the government was discussing "urgent measures" after the prime minister convened an emergency meeting in the capital, Kinshasa.

In a later update, Mr Muyay said the intensity of the lava flow had slowed and an assessment of the humanitarian situation was ongoing.

The UN peacekeeping mission in the country, Monusco, said it was carrying out reconnaissance flights over the city.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57215690?iorg_service_id_internal=624173547714020%3BAfovMsSLQd3gIVau

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by UncleKoboko: 9:53am On May 23, 2021
Wow

Nature is beautiful cool

Type of what we need in Lagos so that people can go back to their various states and hold their USELESS leaders by the throat. Ogun state is one example of the state so rich but the useless corrupt governors just keeps embezzlings for selfish interests.

Lagos is just so field with nuisance...
People should go back to their various states at least to farm.
Some awùsá fool ani abokey will prefer to spend 10k on transportation just to come to Lagos to beg halms.
Instead of staying back in their states to farm and make themselves useful for the society.

Me, I don't ever give them money again. They should go and meet Buhari, Gandóllar, Hell rufai, Dangote, Danjuma and other useless leaders to feed them.
Your people can not be stealing from us and yet, you'll still depend upon us to feed you.

I prefer to give my struggling neighbors and other people around me.

105 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by pyyxxaro: 9:57am On May 23, 2021
Mr Volcano we need you in Sambisa Phase II and YUSUF’s Compound undecided

3 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by overdrive(m): 9:59am On May 23, 2021
God really blessed Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by habsydiamond(m): 10:02am On May 23, 2021
UncleKoboko:
Wow

Nature is beautiful cool

Type of what we need in Lagos so that people can go back to their various states and hold their leaders by the throat. Ogun state is one example of the state so rich but the useless corrupt governors just keeps embezzlings for selfish interests.

Lagos is just so field with nuisance
People should go back to their various states at least to farm.
Some awùsá fool ani abokey will prefer to spend 10k on transportation just to come to Lagos to beg. Instead of staying back in their states to farm and make themselves useful for the society.
how can u be problem for disaster to befall a state even with the current hardship affecting this country... It's not fair... Please erase such from ur mind... Natural disaster will not happen in Nigeria by God's grace

26 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by UncleKoboko: 10:07am On May 23, 2021
habsydiamond:
how can u be problem for disaster to befall a state even with the current hardship affecting this country... It's not fair... Please erase such from ur mind... Natural disaster will not happen in Nigeria by God's grace
Sometimes, this is the best solution.
Lagos needs reset, proper planning and organisations.

But we have so many rocks in Abuja nau...

Those USELESS sleeping Aso rocks should please wake up!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by habsydiamond(m): 10:12am On May 23, 2021
UncleKoboko:

the problem with natural disasters is that it doesn't give room to anyone... Everyone will be affected.. Which I dont think u will want that to happen.

3 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by DDDEnterprises: 10:22am On May 23, 2021
UncleKoboko:

Lagos needs reset, proper planning and organisations.

Natural disasters can hardly be controlled; they don't have conscience, you can't tell them to stop when it's happening. And you can't apprehend them. you can only bear with the consequences when they happen.

you may be wishing for a natural disaster for that purpose that you said, but when it happens, you don't know the full extent of its impact. could be more disastrous than what can be contained especially in this country that we have weak capacity and slower response to problems.

11 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Northernblood3: 10:30am On May 23, 2021
We pray for them for God to heal them.

Look at the level of development over there while giant shit is still struggling to maintain power that powers the Dam. Shameful isn't it.

No wonder MNK said that Nigeria is a Cancer to the world

4 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by DankemzI(m): 10:48am On May 23, 2021
Nature's Angry
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Nobody: 11:10am On May 23, 2021
See the clouds above??

Yeah... that's how you paint the town skies red.

2 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by slawormiir: 8:56pm On May 23, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Dagger111(m): 8:56pm On May 23, 2021
I was there!!

Where is that righteousness? Let him come and preach to us how this will end existence of the world in a week time. Werey somebody. grin

3 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by illicit(m): 8:57pm On May 23, 2021
shocked
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by funmike83(f): 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
Goddd
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by triple996(m): 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
Biafra is mext grin.
BTW after attacking civil defense na civil servant b next terget grin.
I no mention names woo

1 Like

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by UncleKoboko: 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
angry
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by humberjade: 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
I just keep thanking God for Nigeria...that we are not prone to all these naturally disasters...how we for cope? Ordinary flood dey do us shege.

But instead of natural disasters, we repeatedly keep giving ourselves human disasters as leaders. cry

6 Likes

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by UncleKoboko: 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Offpoint1: 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
Nairaland resident pastor come out, your favorite food is ready "Natural disaster"

Come and tell us how close is the end and how the event is unfolding right in our eyes.

The only human being who know the coming of Jesus more than Jesus himself, cause I remember Jesus saying "No one knows the time or hour, not even angels or himself, but the father"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Sabadon(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2021
Wahala everywhere
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by ChiefSosa(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2021
Yet, Mountain of fire church members were praying when their building was on fire recently. Anyway, my condolences and best wishes are with the people of DR Congo. Seismographs are needed.

1 Like

Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by Funkybabee(f): 8:59pm On May 23, 2021
Peace be unto them
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by wunmi590(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2021
embarassed

God really love Nigeria
Re: Volcano Erupts At Mount Nyiragongo, DR Congo As Residents Flee by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:00pm On May 23, 2021
Volcano, Be Still .......... so says the Lord.

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biden Chooses Antony Blinken As Secretary Of State / Trump Says Israel Made ‘very Big Mistake’ With Gaza Destruction / West African Forces Arrest Gambian Army General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.