Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading (474 Views)

NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme / Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading by mercyib(m): 4:01pm On May 24, 2021
THE House of Representatives is considering discontinuation of the National Youth Service Corps scheme.

The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Alteration Bill, 2020, which is seeking to repeal the NYSC Act, is billed for the second reading.

The sponsor, Mr Awaji-Inombek Abiante, in the explanatory memorandum of the proposal, listed the various reasons why the NYSC should be scrapped.

It read in part, “This bill seeks to repeal Section 315(5)(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, (as amended) on the following grounds:

“Incessant killing of innocent corps members in some parts of the country due to banditry, religious extremism and ethnic violence; incessant kidnapping of innocent corps members across the country;

“Public and private agencies/departments are no longer recruiting able and qualified Nigerian youths, thus relying heavily on the availability of corps members who are not being well remunerated and get discarded with impunity at the end of their service year without any hope of being gainfully employed;

“Due to insecurity across the country, the National Youth Service Corps management now gives considerations to posting corps members to their geopolitical zone, thus defeating one of the objectives of setting up the service corps, i.e. developing common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration.”

The military regime of General Yakubu Gowon had established the NYSC on May 22, 1973, under Decree No. 24 of 1973 as a way of reconciling and reintegrating Nigerians after the civil war between July 6, 1967 and January 15, 1970.

https://punchng.com/reps-consider-scrapping-nysc-as-bill-reaches-second-reading/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1621853833

Re: Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading by flexlatifa: 4:02pm On May 24, 2021
Nigeria were chaiiii
So those small stipend way them dey pay dem na dey won stop .........
That means as a citizen of Nigeria nothing 4 you.
No employment.
No security
High cost of living
I weep 4 this country..
Re: Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading by iampeterben(m): 4:03pm On May 24, 2021
Make dem nor try am, what I gained in Kano within one year of service over there cannot be overemphasized. Learnt a lot over there. They can halt it due to insecurity and not scrap it totally.

1 Like

Re: Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading by Degrezhaa: 4:10pm On May 24, 2021
Okay
Re: Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading by Tolexander: 4:22pm On May 24, 2021
iampeterben:
Make dem nor try am, what I gained in Kano within one year of service over there cannot be overemphasized. Learnt a lot over there. They can halt it due to insecurity and not scrap it totally.
Maybe they should make it optional to those interested.

I really gained from it.
And some didn’t gain from it
Re: Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading by Ahmed0336(m): 4:29pm On May 24, 2021
Tolexander:
Maybe they should make it optional to those interested.

I really gained from it.
And some didn’t gain from it

Nysc wasted one precious year of my life undecided

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Information Facebook Group / *NYSC Osun Commences 2021 Batch C Stream II Orientation Course* / Nysc Ppa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.