Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,297 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC (482 Views)

NYSC: Why Over 80% Of Nigerian Adults Don't Support Scrapping The Programme / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC by gistsmill04: 5:37am On May 25, 2021
... After Bill Reaches The Second Reading

The Nigerian legislative house is considering scrapping the NYSC After the bill reached the second reading. The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is a mandatory service for every Nigerian graduate; so mandatory that the NYSC certificate is part of the prerequisite needed to get a job from a public or private enterprise. This has been the story for years now.

Over the years, there seem to be no love lost for the scheme by Nigerians. Some Nigerians have described the scheme as obsolete; some believe it has failed to live up to the expectations of its founding father; some feel amidst the insecurity challenges that has bedevilled the nation for more than a decade now, service to one’s fatherland in violent prone areas could be more risky than patriotic.

With the news of a bill to scrap the NYSC reaching the second reading, there has been some interesting reactions from Nigerians on Twitter.

Nefertiti tweeted:When I said scrap the mandatory NYSC, I knew exactly what I was saying. The scheme is now obsolete. And Traveling across Nigeria, is now one of the 1000 Ways to die.

Senator Shehu Sani also had his view. He tweeted via his verified Twitter account:
“The NYSC should not be scrapped.Its needed now more than ever before.Many Nigerians have never known anywhere other than their hometown and University town if not for NYSC.Its mandate should be expanded to give participants full military training in the face of insecurity.“

Jimmy HQ tweeted: “Let them scrap it. Send every graduate on one month orientation camp where they’ll be thought self defense and economics. At the end multiply their one year stipend and pay them as startup.“

The current nysc structure is docile and irrelevant to today’s plights

https://www.ngtimes.net/2021/05/interesting-reactions-from-nigerians-as-reps-consider-scrapping-nysc-after-bill-reaches-the-second-reading.html

Re: Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC by AlhajiNatty(m): 6:04am On May 25, 2021
This Bill shouldn't see the light of the day. Scrapping NYSC and replacing it with what bikonu?
Re: Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC by Authoreety: 6:42am On May 25, 2021
What help is it to Nigerian students...
After NYSC I found out that there was truely no need for it... It only made me wilder....

Thank God for today anyway..
Re: Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC by Nobody: 8:04am On May 25, 2021
AlhajiNatty:
This Bill shouldn't see the light of the day.
Scrapping NYSC and replacing it with what bikonu?
No replacement. At least they will have to pay them all of their dues and exemptions will be granted for graduates affected henceforth for jobs that require NYSC certificate.
Re: Interesting Reactions From Nigerians As Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC by nzeobi(m): 9:19am On May 25, 2021
AlhajiNatty:
This Bill shouldn't see the light of the day.
Scrapping NYSC and replacing it with what bikonu?
Of what use is NYSC, please at this time we should be looking for permanent solutions to our problems

(1) (Reply)

I Need To Change My Ppa / How FG Deployed 9,100 Corpers In North-west, Gunmen Killed 344, Abducted 430 / Corps Members Protest After Their Colleague Was Slapped By A Corper In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.